Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New TV/Broadband offerings from Eir

• 17-10-2019 1:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.eir.ie/tv/

TV bundles now with Apple TV.

TV 50 channels, up to 100MB Fibre BB unlimited, Apple 4k TV and Eir Sport at €49.98 for 6 months and €79.98 after that.
    Same with 150 MB BB €55.98 for 6 months and €85.98 after that but with a €99.99 installation fee.
    1 GB BB €75.98 a month for 6 months and €105.98 after that with €99.99 installation fee.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,322 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Underwhelmed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,624 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Yeah reading through it not great.
    The way they were pumping it up, expected it to be much better.

https://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/new-eir-tv-service-expected-to-kick-off-price-war-with-rival-providers-38604477.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

When I saw the build up yesterday, was hoping for a simple broadband only package at a decent price. I'm on the basic broadband only, which is about to go up to €60 per month, which is steep enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,025 ✭✭✭duffman13

Would be interested in it if they offered more 12mbs on my line. Terrible offering at a 5er less than the virgin offer with a massively inferiorer broadband product

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,575 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

Thats such a crap offer. Does anyone care about apple TV? Just seems dear.
    I thought they were going away from this cheap initial price and fleece you for the remaining 6 months of the contract stuff........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

_feedback_ wrote: »
    When I saw the build up yesterday, was hoping for a simple broadband only package at a decent price. I'm on the basic broadband only, which is about to go up to €60 per month, which is steep enough

I used to be on that. I'd switch to Vodafone. Works well for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

So max speed broadband options are now:

Sky - 1GB
    Eir - 1GB
    Vodafone - 1GB
    Virgin - 500MB

Some of these aren't widely available yet so you may not have all 4 to choose from in your area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭flanzer

TheDriver wrote: »
    Thats such a crap offer. Does anyone care about apple TV? Just seems dear.
    I thought they were going away from this cheap initial price and fleece you for the remaining 6 months of the contract stuff........

The product savvy amongst us give little sh!t about the Apple. The sheeple out there love an Apple TV paperweight to go with their iPhones and iPad

Thanks OP, I bought 5 anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭FaganJr

So max speed broadband options are now:

Sky - 1GB
    Eir - 1GB
    Vodafone - 1GB
    Virgin - 500MB

Some of these aren't widely available yet so you may not have all 4 to choose from in your area

Realistically for most it will be

Sky - 100MB
    Eir - 100MB
    Voda - 100MB
    Virgin - 500MB or not available

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Starfleet Student

Is this available to existing customers? and are they giving an Apple TV out as well?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

flanzer wrote: »
    The product savvy amongst us give little sh!t about the Apple. The sheeple out there love an Apple TV paperweight to go with their iPhones and iPad

Is it not more about Eir providing their service through the Apple TV rather than another set top box?

Plus you get the added bonus of built in app, casting, AirPlay, Apple TV if you subscribe.

I don’t think it warrants the childishness that’s associated with iOS V Android and all the fanboy ****e that comes with that.

Is this available to existing customers? and are they giving an Apple TV out as well?

Yes and yes

FaganJr wrote: »
    Realistically for most it will be

Sky - 100MB
    Eir - 100MB
    Voda - 100MB
    Virgin - 500MB or not available

Spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

I ahve EIR at 41 pm for 12 month contract
    300mbs and unlimed download

Speed tested and gettin 275mbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭dunworth1

€99 install fee pfft...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

This is what I have in my area at present:

Sky - 100mb
    Eir - 100mb
    Vodafone - 1GB
    Virgin - 500MB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Rafloution

If Vodafone is a GB its through Siro, so Sky should be a reseller too of the same

Rafloution wrote: »
    If Vodafone is a GB its through Siro, so Sky should be a reseller too of the same

I thought sky don't do every area that siro is available in?

dunworth1 wrote: »
    €99 install fee pfft...

Why is there an install fee on the higher plans and not the basic 100mb plan?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Not necessarily. Vodafone also sell FTTH on the eir network, though with eir being up to 100Mb you're likely correct in this specific case.

kceire wrote: »
    Why is there an install fee on the higher plans and not the basic 100mb plan?

150Mb and above are FTTH which is a whole new installation with a fibre cable brought into your home.

150Mb and above are FTTH which is a whole new installation with a fibre cable brought into your home.

I’m currently on VM.
    Regularly get 175-190 mbps here in Dublin 11.
    VM obviously come In through the old NTL/UPC cables with the TV etc but how do Eir get their broadband in?

I’m currently on VM.
    Regularly get 175-190 mbps here in Dublin 11.
    VM obviously come In through the old NTL/UPC cables with the TV etc but how do Eir get their broadband in?

It depends on which service.

FTTC - up to 100Mb depending on your distance from the cabinet. Delivered over the traditional copper phone line.

FTTH - 150, 300 or 1000Mb delivered over a fibre optic cable which generally follows the path of the copper phone line. So if your phone line comes in underground in a duct they will try to install the fibre cable through the same duct.

There is very little FTTH availability around Dublin at the minute so it is likely not available to you.

It depends on which service.

FTTC - up to 100Mb depending on your distance from the cabinet. Delivered over the traditional copper phone line.

FTTH - 150, 300 or 1000Mb delivered over a fibre optic cable which generally follows the path of the copper phone line. So if your phone line comes in underground in a duct they will try to install the fibre cable through the same duct.

There is very little FTTH availability around Dublin at the minute so it is likely not available to you.

Yes, I was looking at the standard 100 mbps but I have no fixed phone line in the house. Maybe there’s one fed to the coms cabinet from the original build as there would have been one then (1996) so it will just be a matter of drilling through the gable wall if I proceed.

Yes, I was looking at the standard 100 mbps but I have no fixed phone line in the house. Maybe there’s one fed to the coms cabinet from the original build as there would have been one then (1996) so it will just be a matter of drilling through the gable wall if I proceed.

If there is no existing line and no ducting, they would likely have to drill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Paying 49.99 for FttH for 12 months.
    Underwhelmed by the deal.

B-D-P-- wrote: »
    I ahve EIR at 41 pm for 12 month contract
    300mbs and unlimed download

Speed tested and gettin 275mbs

How'd you manage that? Wasn't an option when I was signing up earlier in the year.. This is the basic package I'm on. Expensive when the price increases after 6 months to €60

493218.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭celt262

How'd you manage that? Wasn't an option when I was signing up earlier in the year.. This is the basic package I'm on. Expensive when the price increases after 6 months to €60

493218.JPG

What method did you use to sign up Online, Webchat or over the phone?

• Advertisement

celt262 wrote: »
    What method did you use to sign up Online, Webchat or over the phone?

It was a painful over the phone experience - just wanted the most basic broadband package (don't use the landline aspect of this package)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,108 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

This is what I have in my area at present:

Sky - 100mb
    Eir - 100mb
    Vodafone - 1GB
    Virgin - 500MB

Seems Sky are a reseller of Siro. But they have a €200 connection fee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭celt262

It was a painful over the phone experience - just wanted the most basic broadband package (don't use the landline aspect of this package)

I signed up over the online chat a few weeks ago and it was €40.99 for 12 months for broadband and phone. It was cheaper to include the phone. That was for 300 broadband.

They seem to offer better deals online.

• Administrators Posts: 54,090 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Siro is Vodafone. It's owned by Vodafone and the ESB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

493218.JPG

Rep at the door.
    But when i called them they said yea thats the deal.
    So Call them and ask for it.

All deals online and in shop all have commission added.
    Ya have to be willing to drag them down with patience.

Rep at the door.

All deals online and in shop all have commission added.

I'd imagine I need to wait until the 12 month contract is up though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭FLOOPER

Rep at the door.

All deals online and in shop all have commission added.ih

Does that include Tv and phone. We’re out of contract for a while now and paying 90 for basic Tv phone BB.

When also did you get that deal. Did the rep call recently.?

Would need solid info if I’m going to ring tomorrow. They can be tough negotiators.

CheersðŸ‘

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

FLOOPER wrote: »
    Does that include Tv and phone. We’re out of contract for a while now and paying 90 for basic Tv phone BB.

When also did you get that deal. Did the rep call recently.?

Would need solid info if I’m going to ring tomorrow. They can be tough negotiators.

CheersðŸ‘

I phoned last week about renewal.150mb FttH and phone for 45pm
    Played hardball quoting airwire at 50pm and no connection fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Quiksilver

Anyone know if existing customers will automatically be sent out the new Apple TV and Router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

They tie you in to a new contract term...
    What about customers who are still in contract with eir vision and who want to move to the new eir TV product?

Customers can get eir’s new TV product by calling us on 1901 today or via webchat. Please note that switching to the new eir TV product will be subject to re-contracting.

https://www.eir.ie/tv/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭flexcon

flanzer wrote: »

Something quite Ironic calling people who buy Apple products "Sheeple" when the word wasn't created by you rather you adopted it's wide use thus making you also a "sheeple" to the word itself.

It's a funny world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Any word on this new Eir TV app that was mentioned in the press releases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭bromley52

Corholio wrote: »
    Any word on this new Eir TV app that was mentioned in the press releases?

This one perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 kramyerac

May not be the correct thread to post but struggling with no Eir chat available and lengthy call waiting times...signed up to Eir for BB only.

Anyway, has anyone else been able to access the old Eir Sport app on their phone since the update to Eir TV? I get the message that "this stream cannot be plaed back as your device is not compatible with the required DRM protection level". All worked perfectly well before the "upgrade" and when i requested information last Friday from Eir i was told it would be fixed in 24hrs but lo and behold there has been no fix as yet.

If anyone has seen this is there a way around it as i did enjoy it when travelling to and from work on the bus/train.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

bromley52 wrote: »
    This one perhaps.

Ah thanks. Had checked other day and hadn't popped up. Seems a rebranding of the old app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

I'm out of contract since May with Eir and am paying 70 a month since my year was up. Eir seem to be the best with speeds in my area and have no fup. Wondering would I be able to sign back up for this deal and also wondering what there new modem is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭peejy

Eir livechat was really useless

Over the phones, I got a much better deal to switch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

Hi anyone know if you have to pay a installation fee with the deal for 49 euro thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Corholio wrote: »
    Ah thanks. Had checked other day and hadn't popped up. Seems a rebranding of the old app.

Worse than the old app even.

Went on it this evening to watch the football on virgin. Doesn't work anymore. I normally stream on the phone via WiFi, and watch either on the phone or on the chromecast. Since the update, or 'upgrade' as the person on chat insisted on calling it, it wont work on my phone, something about a DRM error or something, incompatible device. Chat tells me only android 10 or apple 11+ will work. Some sh1te that, android 10 only released in September! Some upgrade!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I'm with VF. IG FTTH with vodafone TV and landline phone. I was paying 75 a month but my contract is up soon.
    Their retention team gave me the exact same package for 55 P/M and only 1 year contract. Happy enough with that.

• Advertisement
Advertisement