Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isolate water at water meter

Options
  • 08-12-2019 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hello. Is it possible to turn off the water supply at the meter on the pavement outside my house? Prior to the meter being installed there was a stopcock there - I presume the meter has a valve also? It seems like the most straightforward solution. My internal valve appears to have jammed and I don't want to go messing with it.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 709 ✭✭✭Irish Water: Mairead

Hi Van,

Thanks for getting in touch.

There is an outside stop valve at the meter installation point. You can turn the stop valve anti-clockwise to shut off supply after opening the lid, only if it is safe to do so, with a blunt object.

If your inside stop valve is jammed, we recommend you contact a qualified plumber in order to rectify this and you can find more information on your stop valve on our website.

Thanks,
    Mairead

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Van Doozy

HI Thanks for your reply - just double checking it is anti clockwise to close? Because I would have thought clockwise would close it, like a tap.

• Company Representative Posts: 174 Verified rep Irish Water: Louise

Hi Van Doozy,

Apologies for any confusion. To turn off/close your outside stop valve, turn the valve clockwise. To turn on/open your outside stop valve, turn the valve anti-clockwise.

We hope this clarifies it for you and please let us know if you have any further queries.

Thanks,
    Louise

Advertisement