Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BushCraft Ireland

Options
  • 22-01-2007 2:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Hello friends,

I'm wondering if anyone here is interested in Bushcraft. I am based in Dublin, but now and again take jaunts out to forests in Wicklow to practice bushcraft skills. I wonder if any other fans of this hobby are out there, and would like to pool skills and information on things like wild food, survival skills, campcraft, and firecraft.

I'm hoping the screening of Ray Mears current show will stir up interest in the subject.

Any takers?

Comments

I love that craic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Yes interested alright. Skill sseem to be finding and preparing plants, mushrooms and finding, killing and preparing animals.
    Is that all?

Is anyone suspicious that Ray Mears looks so well feed? Do you think he might be foraging in the local burger king when the camera is turned off?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I've often wondered was Ray really down with the local lads or were they just tolerating him until they got paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 william_justice

I reckon it's a survival tactic. Old Ray keeps an emergency supply of fat at all times, just in case he's ever stranded without food for a few days. Like a camel's hump, but on the belly instead of the back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

He's fond of his stomach alright.
    I went on one of his courses a couple of years ago and learned an awful lot.
    It's a little on the pricey side but I guess that's cos he's a 'celeb' now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭LINKY.V.18

yeh i know this is a really old post but i was searching on boards for something like this.im definitely really into the wild food thing.maybe the original poster could start this discussion again since from what i read nothing was really answered.i was thinking that maybe people could share some of their best finds(mushrooms,fruits,etc),where they go and stuff like that.im living in dub so im most interested in the dub-wicklow region but all regional pickers and hunters should post.at the moment i like to think that it's just meself and a small few others who know about the whole wild food thing,etc.i know this is probably not true however.leave all comments here and get this thread going again.thanks:)

I am going to head off for a forage with this crowd the Northern Irish Fungus Group http://www.nifg.org.uk/home.htm
    They seem to know their fungi so hopefully I can learn some stuff off them.

Fungi, okaaaaay. *wink* *wink* :D

Give us a trip update when you get back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭pisslips

So, I relaise that this is not the first time this thread has been rehashed.I just have to say this is something that I've always been interested in since I was very young but never had a real opertunity to develop survival skills in my native land...which surely is something usefull for all Irish people to learn.I do a bit of cross-country running, fishing a little kayaking and camping but I have never found a place where I can take a formal and challenging course in survival skills bar joining the armed forces or something.So I was wondering, is there such courses that would have grades etc. from beginner to expert...a kind of formal thing, that could be run locally and not too expensively, perhaps by the defence forces for civilians..jeez it should be funded by the government and part of transition year IMO.
    Scouts for grown ups but not the F.C.A.

The Free Clothes Association?
    This crowd seem to do things of a related kind http://www.celtnet.org/events-page33387.html
    As do these http://www.dulra.org/bushcraft
    I am trying to get some bog myrtle to grow in my back garden. Once that is sorted it is gruit brewing time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Has anybody had any experience with that Dulra course? Thinking of giving it a shot...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭ivanthehunter

I've seen most of his shows, and i'm starting to think that i'm the only one who sees right through him... He is always making mistakes and telling fibs, he wings the whole how. He is fairly young but you'd think that he lived in finland for 10 years and another 10 in canada, in the way he refers to (survival expert)people who have stared in his show as his old and dearst friend.. ha the spoof only met them through his researchers...
    Did you not see the show where he had 20 pots and his butler in the woods? ha ha! Or did you see the show were he tried a eating some orange berries form a thorny bush at the seaside- he clearly had never sampled this varity of berry before and was clearly shocked by the taste! but later in the same epsiode he cliams that he regularly takes the very same berries with honey.... he is full of it.. have you seen him burn his hands at the fire..? You know the tv shots of him on top of a mountain filmed from a helecopter! well how do you think he got on top of the mountain with that big belly of his....?
    I'm interested in survival skills and mears makes my blood boil...... ok, some of the shows are interesting.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭loz

I've seen most of his shows, and i'm starting to think that i'm the only one who sees right through him... He is always making mistakes and telling fibs, he wings the whole how. He is fairly young but you'd think that he lived in finland for 10 years and another 10 in canada, in the way he refers to (survival expert)people who have stared in his show as his old and dearst friend.. ha the spoof only met them through his researchers...
    Did you not see the show where he had 20 pots and his butler in the woods? ha ha! Or did you see the show were he tried a eating some orange berries form a thorny bush at the seaside- he clearly had never sampled this varity of berry before and was clearly shocked by the taste! but later in the same epsiode he cliams that he regularly takes the very same berries with honey.... he is full of it.. have you seen him burn his hands at the fire..? You know the tv shots of him on top of a mountain filmed from a helecopter! well how do you think he got on top of the mountain with that big belly of his....?
    I'm interested in survival skills and mears makes my blood boil...... ok, some of the shows are interesting.....

knob

DaveMcG wrote:
    Has anybody had any experience with that Dulra course? Thinking of giving it a shot...

Hi Dave,

I did the course with Anthonio ( at dulra not wildlive ) back in Aug - was excellent.

There a review on BCUK

loz wrote:
    knob

Please read the charter with regards to flaming.

Evil Phil wrote:
    Please read the charter with regards to flaming.

appologies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

Bring back "bush tucker man" - used to love that show. A real man, in a real outdoors environment. Mind you it was 20 years or thereabouts ago so maybe i'm viewing that through rose tinted memories...

There are a few centres that do outdoor skills and the like - one up north and isn't there one in wicklow somewhere? I can't remember the names though - tiglin?

Tiglin closed. There's a Tollymore Mountain Centre in the mournes. In Tollymore suprisingly enough :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 frank 54449

Just spotted an irish bushcraft website, looks like a new school somewhere in leinster, check it out, might be worth a look.

www.bushcraftireland.com

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

Hi,

This is an area of serious interest to me. So much so that I hope to move into the area of teaching it one day. My first steps are to gain an outdoor qualification, I am currently a student in an adventure skills course. I did the course with Anthonio over a year ago and I was hooked. I am a fan of Ray Mears and Tom Brown (whom Anthonio studied under) and hope to get practicing in a big way soon.

I am a member of the RDF (FCA) but have to say the outdoor skills taught in the DF as a whole are limited to survivial in a tactical environment with military equipment to hand which isnt the same really. Its stuff you pick up rather than are taught.

I have no knowledge of the guys who run the course but will be in touch with them. I doubt I will do the course but rather practice techniques I have already learned, on that note if you wish to meet up at some stage, feel free to PM me. I am in the Dublin Co. area and am looking forward to getting out to practice more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Hi Crapbag,
    I have contacted these guys in Buscraft Ireland, ( www.bushcraftireland.com )seem to know what they are talking about. Looks like they got a bit of training in a few buscraft schools over in the UK.
    I am booking into one of their courses in April next year, can't wait to see what they are about.
    I'll definetly be posting a review of this course here on the forum.

;)

SHILL ALERT!

Bit of a coincidence Frank that you have 3 posts, 2 of them singing the
    praises of this company. Especially when I see this:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=bushcraftireland.com

Will you be booking the course or giving it?

I've been wondering about that, Frankie boy is now banned from this forum and has been reported to the powers that be. I clean his posts up later.

Thanks Gran Hermano :)

SHILL ALERT!
    That is really weird. If someone came on and said
    "I am giving the course and know loads about the subject" they would get far more responses then "I would like to do this, I will tell you what it is like later". As shills go this one is completely baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hi Crapbag,
    I have contacted these guys in Buscraft Ireland,

;)
    You can't seem to spell the name of your business here, or on your website!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭supertramp

They won't give directions to the site of the course, until you pay in full, which you have to do 21 days before the date.
    Sounds like a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

Such a shame since its a relatively untapped market in Ireland. If I get my skills and act together over the next while Id love to impart what I learn to others. Still have a lot of practicing to do though and I want to get some other outdoor qualifications down before I concentrate on Bushcraft completely. Id like to have a good skill set before venturing down the avenue of Bushcraft as an instructor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭PDD

Hi Guys,

I would be interested in doing a course like or something but funds are tight (damn you interest rates :-P) I used to love bivvying when I was in the Scouts but unfortuntely the idea of foraging for food stuffs was never really touched on.

I was wondering if people would be interested in maybe getting a small group of us to head off somewhere to bivvy and try our hand at some bushcraft and get some practice in?

Dave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I did the Mears course myself, but with the state my back is in I haven't been able to sleep out since the Summer of last year, a full 18 months ago :(
    Would be happy to pass on any knowledge I have though if there is a meet.

Was the Mears course any good, Roen?

PDD, a few of the lads on the Non-drinkers Forum seemed interested in organising a trip to one of the bushcraft courses. It won't be for a while (certainly after Xmas), but maybe you'd be interested in coming with?

• Advertisement

Crapbag, you might also be interested in coming along!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement