Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BushCraft Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭IPNA

Do you have wilderness areas in the Dublin area? Our group meets here in North Kerry. We plan to do some walks in Killarney. I think that we will set up a club as well if not just for the insurance. I thought that Canada and the US were the only ones who sued everything that moves. I guess it is here as well.

So far we arrange it through word of mouth. I have been struggling with ideas for getting the word out.

I agree that all of the interested folks here in Ireland should get together once in awhile and share skills. I saw the CELT website and it sounds like they do great things, but maybe there could be a gathering over a bank holiday weekend once a season or so.

I am just at the beginning stages and would like to hear what other people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭Crapbag

Unfortunately Ireland has gone insurance crazy in recent years. We havent had a meet in Dublin yet but we are trying to get somewhere sorted for it. It seems to be something people are definitely interested in. Formalizing it into clubs may be the way to go to get people more involved. I have talked to someone in the MCI who said that you can get insured through the MCI as long as you are a member of the MCI. I will try get into the MCI HQ and try discuss something more formal soon, just trying to arrange the time and the right person to meet.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 ryanrod

Another fella worth checking out is

http://www.ancientirishbushcraft.com

He does journeys down the Barrow River and camping out on the banks.
    (I don't have anything to do with the courses)

I did it a couple of years ago before it started to be called bushcraft.
    We used call it camping or getting out in nature.
    What I did find was the different perspective/peace and quiet going down
    a river with no sound of cars!

I would like to find a good woodland walk near to the south east, Ireland
    seems to be a little denuded of trees, anyone any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 deepforest

Dear All, I found this site by accident the other evening when searching Bushcraft info. I felt I had to register and reply to the comments RE: Bushcraft and Ray Mears.

I have resided near Lough Ree in the Midlands for thirty years but in the last few years have been working in the UK. I have been camping and trying my best at woodcraft and wildlife tracking since I was a kid but always felt like I was the odd one out. However in the Eighties Mr. Mears came along and shed new light on my interests. Ever since I have been an avid admirer and follower. He was the one to make bushcraft such an acceptable topic. Since then I have attended Bushcrasft courses in the Uk and can say without exaggeration that his courses are outstanding.

When I read the comments on the Irish site about Mears and Bushcraft I smiled and said to my Partner, isn't it funny how even after the Celtic Tiger and Modern Ireland, people (some albeit) are still begrudgers and stuck in the past. In the Uk Ray Mears has a well earned reputation.

Its a pity that some people on the site chose to comment on him so unfairly, but then I'm reckoning these lads are living in a village similar to Killanskully with a pint in one hand and a hurley in the other.

My advice is don't knock what you havn't tried!! And if you have attended a woodlore or woodsmoke course and are commenting like this then there is something wrong as all the students I studied with were deeply affected(in a very positive way) by being on these courses!.

One other point, Tiglin is an adventure centre and never even heard of bushcraft in its time. I remember calling around Ireland and being almost laughed at by Irish Orgs when I enquired about their "Survival courses".

Mears invented modern bushcraft (not survival), weight is not an issue if he can light fires in one minute with the fire bow and you can't in a month, and his friends on the show are his friends.
    Lars Felt has been an instructor in Rays School for years before retiring and Gordon Hillman has been credited in Rays Bushcrsaft book. I spoke To Ben McNutt who is also Irish(From Donegal) and he speaks extremely highly of Mears.

Ps if you dont know who these people are then you shouldn't be commenting.

Lastly, if there are any bushcraft students out there in the country and fancy a camping or canoeing trip just drop as line.

Regards
    Deepforest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭pirelli

DaveMcG wrote: »
    haha, yeah, I dont think im quite ready to seek shelter from the wind in an animal carcass -- just yet! :D
    fergalr wrote: »
    Hey, sounds like you're trying to kill off the population of the forum!
    Deadliest climb? Hopefully not!
    Whatever about Mr. Mears and Survivorman, don't go emulating old Bear too closely...
    deepforest wrote: »
    Dear All, I found this site by accident the other evening when searching Bushcraft info. I felt I had to register and reply to the comments RE: Bushcraft and Ray Mears.

In the Uk Ray Mears has a well earned reputation.

I would say it is most of the Population.! As usual there will be more posts on Ray Mears and survivorman than there will ever be about a group from boards.ie weaving bark into fishing nets and carving out Kuksa's in the wet wicklow undergrowth.Anyway its started already.

http://bearclawsbushcraft.blogspot.com/2007/08/coming-soon-kuksa.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 408 ✭✭tiny-nioclas

just found this thread now, am i a bit late? i would love to get involved with some bushcraft group in ireland, all my life ive been fishing hunting snaring and just roaming the countryside learning all i can, have ye set anything up??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Deepforest banned permanently. I will not tolerate personal abuse or racial slurs on this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭cavedave

Ray Mears does rock. Even if people do not decide to go live in a cave if he gets people to go for a bit of a walk in the woods he has done a very good thing.
    Mears invented modern bushcraft (not survival), weight is not an issue if he can light fires in one minute with the fire bow and you can't in a month, and his friends on the show are his friends.
    Apologies I made one unfunny joke. It was not meant to be taken that seriously.

Ok Ok so the thread has stalled slightly. To get things back on track I have finally gotten around to speaking directly to the MCI. In particular I was speaking to the members support officer who replied very positively to our suggestions of setting up a club. Could those interested in helping form this club please PM me. We would need to at least get on the phone to each other, if not meet up. The MCI naturally want to see what the activities of our club involves and what the principles of such a club would be. She has sent me some information in relation to club formation which I can forward to people on request. Lets get the ball rolling

what part of the country are ye organising in? in my opion ray mears is a legend, he has set the seed of bushcraft and self suffiency in everyones mind again, and bear grylls is a proven fake, he annoys me to watch him on the tv, pretending hes doing something he is obviously does not.

• Advertisement

Initially I was thinking the greater Dublin area for now but it would be better to get people all over the country involved. The more people the better. That way people can arrange meets in several different areas.

good stuff, let me know if anything goes on will ye, cheers.

I was speaking to a Member of Coillte in relation to getting permission to use a forrest. I asked about Saggart Hill forrest but unfortunately they cant allow it in there. He said that Crone in Wicklow near Glencree can be used. Its near the Powerscourt waterfall near the wicklow way. All Id have to do is ring him to ask permission. He also gave me another number of a guy from the recreation side of Coillte who might be willing to speak with me in relation to getting someone to talk about Coillte and its function with forrestry. So with that in mind does anyone want to meet up there some weekend to practice and discuss setting up a club?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 mark k

ah me and a mate did something like this during the mid-term,up in the wicklow mountains for 4 days.was cold ,very fecking cold -6/5 at one stage so all i say to people is have somthing warm.
    also(and no negativity just somthing to say) when i always talk to people i hear them going on about how much they'd love to do it and yet never do.So just commit yourself and go.dont talk about it, do it:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Trailblazer

I couldn't agree more with deepforest's coment about bushcraft and begrudry in this country.
    Try reading some of the work of Ray Mears, or for that matter Mors Kochanski, before critsizing them.
    In my opinion, being humble and having and open mind is essential to being a decent bushcrafter. How could you hope to track a fox through woodland, with a closed mind.
    It's not about clubs and insurance. Just go for a walk in the woods, and not go home for three days. You will learn a lot more about bushcraft than reading anything on this forum.

Much respect and humility to all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Gu3rr1lla

Hey, I've been interested in Bushcraft/ wilderness survival all my life but it's only now, seeing as Airsoft is getting more and more popular in Ireland, that I'm actually doing this stuff.
    Just go for a walk in the woods, and not go home for three days. You will learn a lot more about bushcraft than reading anything on this forum.

Much respect and humility to all.

Couldn't agree more, it makes you appreciate life and our Earth much more (Well for me anyway)

Would it be possible to have a Bushcraft forum on Boards?

Yes it is possible. You'd have to suggest it here. I'd wholeheartedly support it too, this bushcraft thing has required more moderation than the rest of the forum put together.

Don't get me wrong, its the attention it obviously getting through the search engines that's bringing in problem users, its not the regulars. (And on that note, if your new and don't want to get banned please read the forum charter.) I don't think there's enough interest to warrent its own forum though, but its worth a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Gu3rr1lla wrote: »
    Hey, I've been interested in Bushcraft/ wilderness survival all my life but it's only now, seeing as Airsoft is getting more and more popular in Ireland, that I'm actually doing this stuff.

Couldn't agree more, it makes you appreciate life and our Earth much more (Well for me anyway)

Would it be possible to have a Bushcraft forum on Boards?

It's pretty quiet in the Outdoors forum to be honest, I imagine the Bushcraft forum would be pretty much tumble weed territory. Post here to express an interest in getting a dedicated forum if you're up for it.

Anyway, my interest is still there. My back is holding up after two months of no grief, so I should be ok for a meet.

**EDIT** I hope no-one is singling out my review earlier in the thread for criticism, I thought it to be fair and unbiased. I certainly didn't mean it to be negative in any way.

Im hoping to get a weekend organised in the Wicklow area. Myself and another board member are working on getting a club formed but in the mean time it would be good to get a meet going. We will be scouting out the area set out by coillte really soon. Id say a couple of my adventure skill classmates will be coming aswell so Id like to open it to people on the boards provided they are coming for the right reasons that is :-) I will update you with a date fairly soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cruelsetanta

DaveMcG wrote: »
    Yeah I just realised that the coldness might be a factor :o The Bushcraft Ireland course is April, May, and June, so if I have the money (E275) I'll probably do one of those. I'd probably be on for camping before that though, just busy busy busy for the next month at least. We shall see how it goes anywho, keep an eye on the non-drinking forum and you'll see any developments.

Don't do it mate, would'nt trust him, he wasnt straight about his post and as well as that he doesnt give details of his location just skerries so u could get screwed. Whats happen here sounds good I'm going to check a place out weekend after next. I'll put a post about it, any futher development on ur side Crapbag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Trailblazer

Don't do it mate, would'nt trust him, he wasnt straight about his post and as well as that he doesnt give details of his location just skerries so u could get screwed. Whats happen here sounds good I'm going to check a place out weekend after next. I'll put a post about it, any futher development on ur side Crapbag.

Hi Cruelsetanta,
    Firstly let me say I have nothing to do with this Bushcraft Ireland crowd, but I have been on a couple of week long Bushcraft courses in the UK (Woodcraft and Woodsmoke) they will be very cadgy about the site location. They will give a meeting place somewhere remote from the site. They quote reasons of safety, security etc. etc. . To be honest I can see why they don't openly advertise their exact location you know. If I knew of a place here in Ireland tolerant of bushcrafters camping overnight and lighting fires in their woodland, I would be in there every other weekend.

To be honest we should give the Irish bushcraft schools more support. There is Antonio Akkermanns up in the north, Bushcraft Ireland near Dublin and Ancient Irish Bushcraft down in Limerick.
    Kind of goes back to my earlier post in response to Deepforest's post about begrudgers and bushcraft in this country.

Much respect and Humility

Trailblazer

SHILL ALERT!

Bit of a coincidence Frank that you have 3 posts, 2 of them singing the
    praises of this company. Especially when I see this:

http://www.dnsstuff.com/tools/whois.ch?ip=bushcraftireland.com

Will you be booking the course or giving it?

Hi Trailblazer,

I’m not out to be unsupportive to any school teaching the ways of “Bushcraft” it’s just frank was very deceiving in his post, it just didn’t sit right with me. If he had set up his own tread an told all (and there is a lot if interest in this ) about his school then I would have been very supportive and probably book just to see what was on offer over here as were all aware that there not many teaching this skill.

I’m quite like your self and others, I’ve been on a couple of courses in UK in mid nineties, and I totally agree with what Deep Forest said (don’t full understand why he was banned). I’m not a begrudger !!!!
    It’s just my opinion on this particular person and how he acted. I just think he should of been straight with us in this forum.

Much respect back to you and hope to meet up and share the knowledge.:)

CruelSetanta

Hi again guys,

I wanted to meet up possibly this weekend to visit this site in Krone, Wicklow. The aim simply being to check the area and meet up with people who are serious about this. I know Ive been dragging this out but like all of us im sure, im quite busy at the best of times. I would like to hear peoples views and get a feel for what people expected from a club. I dont want to rush ahead and go solo on what my ideas of bushcraft are and place them into a club without peoples input. Again if interested in meeting up this Sunday (April 6th) please contact me via PM. Also you dont have to be too interested to forming or joining a club, maybe you just want somewhere to practice. Id like to meet anyone who has an interest really

On another note. Im still in conversation with the MCI, they are asking questions like, how I would deal with working with tools, regulating membership etc. They suggested I get onto the CELT crowd in Clare to see how they do it, which I will be doing today hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

I am also interested in this!

At the moment my bushcraft related activity is limited to wandering the hills with my 3.5 year old son and our dog, following footprints, stepping carefully around dinosaur bones and skulls (Fallow deer to you and me) building basic shelter and having a picnic.

Maybe we need to just plan in some minor activities with a view to a more major activity later in the year?

Scouting Crone sounds like a good start!

It will allow some of the most basic boxes to be ticked like:
    Where?
    Who are we?
    Basic skills needed/to be developed
    What resources are available/needed? e.g. transport.
    Basic practical ground rules to be discussed (agreed is probably optimistic considering that we are meeting through boards.ie :-) )
    Contingency planning - injury, foul weather etc.
    Most importantly - starting to do someting!

My feeling is that we should be individually self sufficient, but capable of combining to provide luxury!

Too much organisation will probably kill this before it gets started so we should probably refrain from forming any rigidly structured club, but reserve the right to tighten up as required. e.g. if we want to run an excercise where someone wants to practice navigation/cooking/shelter building and others are not too particular as long as they just get some fresh air, then it should be possible to co-exist safely.

I am currently recovering from an injured ankle so I am not up for a big walk but can provide support in a localised manner!

Maybe we should have a mini meetup at the boards beers this friday?

For the club you'll need:
    • A club commitee
    • Club officers (Treasurer, Secretary, El Presidente)
    • A club consitution which pretty much outlines how the club is run, how members are accepted/rejected/kicked out, how officers and commitee members are elected. That sort of thing.
    • Club rules.
    • A membership form accepting the club rules and constitution.
    • Membership list.

And probably more, but that's what we had to do. Once we had this we could apply for MCI affilation. Your members will either have to be MCI members or become MCI members when they join the club.

One advantage to being a club is VAT exemption. This means you could arrange training through the club and save your members a few quid.

fenris wrote: »
    I am also interested in this!

At the moment my bushcraft related activity is limited to wandering the hills with my 3.5 year old son and our dog, following footprints, stepping carefully around dinosaur bones and skulls (Fallow deer to you and me) building basic shelter and having a picnic.

Maybe we need to just plan in some minor activities with a view to a more major activity later in the year?

Scouting Crone sounds like a good start!

It will allow some of the most basic boxes to be ticked like:
    Where?
    Who are we?
    Basic skills needed/to be developed
    What resources are available/needed? e.g. transport.
    Basic practical ground rules to be discussed (agreed is probably optimistic considering that we are meeting through boards.ie :-) )
    Contingency planning - injury, foul weather etc.
    Most importantly - starting to do someting!

My feeling is that we should be individually self sufficient, but capable of combining to provide luxury!

Too much organisation will probably kill this before it gets started so we should probably refrain from forming any rigidly structured club, but reserve the right to tighten up as required. e.g. if we want to run an excercise where someone wants to practice navigation/cooking/shelter building and others are not too particular as long as they just get some fresh air, then it should be possible to co-exist safely.

I am currently recovering from an injured ankle so I am not up for a big walk but can provide support in a localised manner!

Maybe we should have a mini meetup at the boards beers this friday?

Like I said, all are welcome to scout. Ill be meeting another board member in Blessington at 11am and then going on to Crone from there. If you want my contact details please PM me. Unfortunately im not available on friday evening.

For now, I am not ruling anything out from a club point of view. Like Evil Phil says we need to have a small bit of structure before getting associate membership from the MCI which is why I would like to meet up with people. We wont spend the entire day in the area but a brief discussion and exchange of ideas and contact details would be a good start

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

Crapbag wrote: »
    Like I said, all are welcome to scout. Ill be meeting another board member in Blessington at 11am and then going on to Crone from there. If you want my contact details please PM me. Unfortunately im not available on friday evening.

For now, I am not ruling anything out from a club point of view. Like Evil Phil says we need to have a small bit of structure before getting associate membership from the MCI which is why I would like to meet up with people. We wont spend the entire day in the area but a brief discussion and exchange of ideas and contact details would be a good start

Keep me posted, ill do everything in my power to be at the first meet:)

We were up in Crone today. Its promising, we found an area perfect for what we need. Not too far from the car park yet nicely tucked away from the main tracks. There is a source of water nearby too. We are probably going to arrange a weekend for later this month. Given that we are not yet established properly wont be bring too many people with us so if you are interested in coming please PM me. We not be able to accommodate everybody given the area size so its first come etc. Right now we arent insured by anybody as a group (because technically there is no group yet) so you would be coming out of your own accord.

Hi all met up with Crapbag and friend yesterday in Crone. A bit disappointed with turn out considering the amount of interest and talk and 4,665 hits on this tread:mad:. But anyways
    As a start off it looks a very good spot, very very promising location as well as a conifer forest, there is a broad leaf forest just across the road for all you nature lovers or for those who want to source out some wild food. Crone has a lot to offer, natural resources to make camp, cooking and accessories.

Just imagine spending a couple of nights in the forest, sleeping in a shelter that you just build from natural resources which is in abundance all around you and learning from each others experiences an most of all having a bit of a laugh, it could be good for all interested.

I know some might be sceptical about forming a club, but think about it! As a formed group with some structure there are a lot of benefits not only could VAT be clamed back but we could get more of a discount with a number of us wanting to do a course or refresher, Collite mightn’t like the idea of a few lads an girls (if they don’t mind getting there nails dirty:rolleyes:) without some form of structure. So if interested PM Crapbag, let us know what experience (if any) and what you expect to get out or do over the weekend. Maybe we could do a couple of workshops like Shelter building, finding water and making it safe to use, navigation, improvising a map, signaling for rescue an much more, so lads lets get it on.;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭IPNA

Sorry I missed it. It sounded like fun. It is a bit of a drive to come from South Kerry for an overnight.
    This weekend the wife and I looked at Kilarney National Park for overnight options. There are some areas that are off the beaten path. I don't know if the park rangers would like a bunch of people practicing survival skills, but if the group was small enough.......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement