Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wood filler stain

Options
  • 21-11-2020 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

HI

I am using RONSEAL MULTIPURPOSE WOOD FILLER NATURAL to fill some countersunk drill holes on 12mm birch ply. Left overnight, sanded 180 grit followed by 240. Cleaned with white spirits and once dry, stained with Rustin's Wood Dye (Medium Oak), and finished with Liberon Finishing Oil.
    The problem I have is, what looks' like stains from the filler, which cant be shifted with sandpaper.
    What is the cause of these stains, and how can I prevent them happening.
    I have attached 2 photos to illustrate the issue.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

i would hazard a guess that the white spirits is leaving an oily residue on timber which is preventing the stain penetrating the affected area

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭robh71

Thanks, but this happens only around drill holes. I'm thinking the filler itself is staining the ply somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

robh71 wrote: »
    Thanks, but this happens only around drill holes. I'm thinking the filler itself is staining the ply somehow
    Did a Google search and found this so your assumption is right and I would have guessed the same but this tells you how to prevent it.

https://www.thesprucecrafts.com/match-wood-fillers-with-stained-wood-3536505#:~:text=On%20softwoods%20such%20as%20pine,surrounding%20wood%20and%20discoloring%20it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

I'd agree with post 2. the white spirits have probably soaked into the top ply veneers. Rustins are unlikely to market a filler that 'wicks' into timber. You can't really sand it away - it would leave a hollowed out area. One trick is to pour a little meths on and burn it off. Obviously take it outside if you have safety concerns !
    In general Baltic ply can be tricky to repair. You would get better results by using a wood plug made from the same sheet.

Advertisement