Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making a table top

Options
  • 06-11-2020 10:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭

I've had a bit of a shocker and instead of ordering a solid table top, it turns out what I've ordered comes in 3 pieces with no prescribed way of attaching.

This is the top: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and I'll be attaching to 3 prong hairpin legs...

So I think I need to create a frame for the 3 sections of the top to sit on, and potentially to then put the legs into as well maybe? The top is split along the long edge (3 sections of 100*66 to make a 100*200 top).

My main concern is making this rock solid, particularly as the majority of the weight will be sitting on the middle section, which doesn't have a leg supporting it.

Any ides or suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Your link is not working for me

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Link not working for me anyway. Can you put it together upside down?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058129278

I got into the link from the original thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

As the three pieces are finished I don't think they are meant to be stuck together with a glue up or anything.

I think these are designed for a three piece fold down table.

Sounds like you have 3 panels that will have to be attached to a frame as you say.

Are you a seasoned woodworker with powertools ect.

The lads here will give you plenty of good advice for all skill levels.:)

• Advertisement

Just saw the table tops.

Look like panels or a small dropleaf table to me.
    Of course depending on your skill set, you could do whatever you want with them.

Panel material is 16mm, but edge molding is wider. Will affect some designs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Wow you guys are quick to respond, really appreciate it! I would say I am the polar opposite of a seasoned woodworker. A willing idiot would be the best description. Hand tools are about the height of it...

So far my best idea is a rectangular frame with probably battens running across? I'm not sure how much I would need to add to it to make it structurally strong enough... and then would I need to be attaching my hairpin legs to this new frame to make it worthwhile? Conveniently the top is 15mm this with a 50mm edge to it, so 35mm to completely hide whatever I do...

kadman wrote: »
    Just saw the table tops.

Look like panels or a small dropleaf table to me.
    Of course depending on your skill set, you could do whatever you want with them.

Panel material is 16mm, but edge molding is wider. Will affect some designs.

One other thing to add, it's heavy. 29KG according to the box. And the middle panel (which will be unsupported by legs directly) is going to be holding a monitor, keyboard, my leaning weight etc.

iamtony wrote: »
    As the three pieces are finished I don't think they are meant to be stuck together with a glue up or anything.

I think these are designed for a three piece fold down table.

Yup I think that's right, this crowd are a shower and I'm working on getting at least a significant refund. The joys of having my eye turned by interesting wood!

Update to this, returning and buying a solid kitchen worktop to play with instead. Appreciate the replies!

• Advertisement
Advertisement