Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Are Irish people as thick as American's?

• 19-02-2020 6:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I'm sitting in a cafe and watched a woman trying to pour milk from the jug. It's a jug with a button to press. A good five minutes went by when she went up to the counter to say there was no milk.

There was milk she just couldn't or didn't figure out what the button on the jug was for. I've only ever came across this kind of thickness from Americans.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I'm sitting in a cafe and watched a woman trying to pour milk from the jug. It's a jug with a button to press. A good five minutes went by when she went up to the counter to say there was no milk.

There was milk she just couldn't or didn't figure out what the button on the jug was for. I've only ever came across this kind of thickness from Americans.

So one woman can’t find a button for whatever reason and you ask about a whole nation ?
    By the way she could have sight difficulties or another issue which you wouldn’t be aware of .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The typo in the title is tongue-in-cheek, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Yes. You saw one woman struggling with a milk jug egro the entire country is thick. You got it in one.

Away with the fairies is about right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭1o059k7ewrqj3n

Imagine being that **** sitting there watching someone and judging them when you could have gone over and said hey I think you're supposed to use it this way?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Using your phone to type to message board strangers when you could have talked to her and helped her in the cafe

Says more about you OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Pot kettle black

As thicks as American’s what ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭circadian

American's?

Yes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    So one woman can’t find a button for whatever reason and you ask about a whole nation ?
    By the way she could have sight difficulties or another issue which you wouldn’t be aware of .

There was a guy after her who had the same problem. I'm sitting right beside the milk and sugar station. I'm just observing all the people who can't pour milk.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Imagine being that **** sitting there watching someone and judging them when you could have gone over and said hey I think you're supposed to use it this way?

They're away with the fairies :)

• Advertisement

some of those milk jugs are tricksy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

American's.

Huh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

If your calling people thick, its always a good idea to check your grammar before posting.

There was a guy after her who had the same problem. I'm sitting right beside the milk and sugar station. I'm just observing all the people who can't pour milk.

Sad that you have nothing better to do isn’t it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Wouldn’t be surprised if it’s yer own ma & da.

If your calling people thick, its always a good idea to check your grammar before posting.

Hah!

What a boring existence.

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    As thicks as American’s what ?

Oh the grammar Nazis are out.

Is your name Cathal by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Steyr 556 wrote: »

Yeah, it just sounds like a brain fart on the part of the woman. I’ve seen the most intelligent people have those.

• Advertisement

You missed a comma.

Was the woman an American? Or an American't?

Well if you are going to judge the intelligence of other people it's always a good idea to make your point water tight.

Americans thick? Americans lead the world in pretty much every human endeavour.

Grow up.

Was it, low fat or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

No just chancers.

I'd hate the OP to observe my regular struggles with the so-called child-proof lid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Are they those stupid jugs you have to push a thing over to the side to get milk out of? They are very counter-intuitive. I often wondered what sort of a thick invented them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Do not judge others lest you be judged OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I don't believe there is much difference in intelligence in developed countries.
    It's easier to find large group of both highly intelligent people or incredibly stupid ones in countries with large populations.
    It just depends on what you are actively looking out for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I too have struggled with those things. Rarely have problems with the use of apostrophes though.

Guess it evens itself out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,381 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

tenor.gif

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

It's Americans' not American's.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

Tbh some of the most admirable people Ive met were Americans and I've felt at times theres an anti intellectual undercurrent in Irish society. A fashion for dumbing down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I've often had trouble with those jugs.

To be fair, where I grew up the jugs didn't even have lids, never mind buttons.

Intelligent people do stupid things.

I turned up at my son's primary school yesterday evening at 5pm to pick him up from 'Kid's Club' as usual.

Rang the bell and waited patiently only to be reminded by a stranger passing by that it is mid term and the school is shut. My son was at his grandparents. Clean forgot.

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    It's Americans' not American's.

Sorry to be a Pedantic Pete but it is 'Americans' in the plural.

It is not a possessive noun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭tintin67

Your right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

"You've jumped over the fence baby".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,135 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

We have seen the enemy and they are us.

And by that I mean the Irish made a big contribution to the American gene pool...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

To answer the question, I think it’s half and half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭NSAman

nthclare wrote: »
    Was it, low fat or what?

Judging by where I live in the US, low fat doesn't exist for the majority of people. Talk about fatties!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

The sheer irony of the OP's name :D

American's was an autocorrect.

I used to work in the hotel industry and the Americans definitely asked the dumbest of questions like how to open their bedroom window. Just thought that a milk jug was fairly simple to operate but clearly it's not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,498 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Around the waist, no.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Some people are slow learners

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Has boards been taken over by 18 year olds? Seems so.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Granadino wrote: »

"I know what you are but what am I?"

School holiday time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Granadino wrote: »

A poster with 77 posts over the course of four months has a long way to go before he takes over...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,630 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

American's was an autocorrect.

I used to work in the hotel industry and the Americans definitely asked the dumbest of questions like how to open their bedroom window. Just thought that a milk jug was fairly simple to operate but clearly it's not.

I had an issue with this muscle-bound cop where I actually had to SHOW him how to use the three sea-shells. He may have been Italian, though.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭chrissb8

nthclare wrote: »
    Is your name Cathal by any chance?

Most definitely a Gavin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Putting milk into tea is the travesty here

• Advertisement
Advertisement