Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

the happiest time of my life was......

• 13-02-2020 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭

the happiest time of my life was......was when i just finished college and got a crap job. lived with mates partying all the time, no responsibilities. I really miss those days.

when was yours - a kid, in school, college, having kids, married, retired?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

the happiest time of my life was......was when i just finished college and got a crap job. lived with mates partying all the time, no responsibilities. I really miss those days.

when was yours - a kid, in school, college, having kids, married, retired?

For a few blissful weeks in 2010 when a girlie from de States came to visit me and we drove all over Ireland in a Peugeot 405

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

I'd have to say finally going to college as a mature student in my 30's and being lucky enough to meet a great bunch of friends aged 29-70. We had an absolute blast, supported each other and made the best of the whole experience. If I could repeat any time period of my life it would be those three years for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭PGE1970

Before the internet & mobile phones ........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

PGE1970 wrote: »
    Before the internet & mobile phones ........

Pretty much.... It's amazing how much it's changed our lives for better and worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Now. Because I realise that in 2010 I was nostalgic for 2007 and in 2013 I was nostalgic for 2010.

If there's a day I could go back to tho it would be the 26th of May 2013. The last day of life as I knew it. Seems an eternity ago now.

Had great times, KitKat tennis 2003, Huge floor all matches on endless summer nights as teenager, Friday nights in the Institute, 1, nights out in summer 2013, living abroad, travelling abroad, living away with my mates, meeting new people, meeting my girlfriend and the emotions....but prefer to not think too much of the past. In the right doses, nostalgia is perfect but in moderation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

working as a DJ in 1998 in gran canaria ... was mad summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

When the doctor said I didn't have worms anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

1995 to 1998

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

When my son was born 7 years ago and every day since - changed my life, I cherish every minute I get to spend with him. The greatest achievement of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Depends, prob when I was a kid in the 90s (last great decade BTW) out playing with friends from morning to night. No phones to check in on one, just a time to be back at usually and loosely "before it gets too dark".

Jamming with friends on scrappy Metallica and Nirvana covers when we really should have been studying for L.C.

Spending time with someone who was truly special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Stacksey

The days of playing heads and volleys against neighbours garage gates and the joy of seeing them pissed of about it, then it was time to head to the local shop for 20 Jellies, a Stinger bar and a Fat Frog

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭marzic

Night fishing on a beach on the Greek island of Thassos Summer 2001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Definitely really happy memories of playing tip the can, kerbs, football tennis and huge games of hide & seek around our estate until late at night.

After that then I had a great few years partying every weekend, summers working with a mate where we would finish up for the day and sit in the local green and soak up some sun while drinking some cold cans and smoking a few spliffs.

Going to techno clubs around 01/02, sometimes 3 nights a week. Don't know how I did it.

9 months ago me and my 2 brothers all had babies within the same 3 weeks, it's been absolutely hilarious and a really happy time, from telling the shocked folks to the babies being born and watching them develop over the last 9 months it's been just surreal, especially with them being basically the same age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,300 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Definitely 5th year in secondary school.
    Waiting for every weekend to come so I could go on sleep overs to my friends houses or they to mine and the excitement of getting all dressed up for a disco and wondering if the guy you fancied would be there.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Now. Am blessed with my job, partner, family, health. I didn't realise until recently how much of a lost soul I was before. Staying in sh*t jobs and even more sh*t relationships because I had no confidence and didn't value myself. I always heard people say you become happier as you get older and for me it has been true thankfully.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

January 22nd 8:05pm. Got 7 chicken nuggets instead of 6. Best. Day. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,478 ✭✭✭pgj2015

my college days were great, enjoyed the courses i studied and especially the partying but im probably happier now to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Now. Relatively comfortable, became a Dad for the first time. Life is good.

Still have a soft spot for those games of football on the green in the summer that would due to darkness, the grass being slippy on account of the dew and getting a whollop from the ball into the inner thigh or side of the face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭The Mighty Quinn

Recently our first child arrived, very recently, and yes it's incredible to look at this little person and it's so beautiful, but those moments are lost in stress and anxiety of trying to work out what's wrong, is it hunger, wind, nappy change needed..

.. I'm wondering do some people have the rose tinted spectacles on looking back at it! It doesn't mean I don't already love the child because I do, but combined with torturous lack of sleep, this is not the happiest time of my life!

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭earlytobed

Back in the day it would have been the summer of 5th year in school. great weather, first motorbike, babe girlfriend, lots of mates around.

In more recent times when I was 35-40, kids in national school, mortgage free, happy days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

Recently our first child arrived, very recently, and yes it's incredible to look at this little person and it's so beautiful, but those moments are lost in stress and anxiety of trying to work out what's wrong, is it hunger, wind, nappy change needed..

.. I'm wondering do some people have the rose tinted spectacles on looking back at it! It doesn't mean I don't already love the child because I do, but combined with torturous lack of sleep, this is not the happiest time of my life!

There's definitely rose tinted glasses at work and it's great the way memory works like this (well mine does anyway), you'll remember the good stuff better than the lack of sleep and the worrying.

Also it gets much easier after 6 months, I think 6 - 12 months old is a real golden time, they have their little personalities and they can move around a lot more meaning they don't need you to wind them all the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Stacksey wrote: »
    then it was time to head to the local shop for 20 Jellies, a Stinger bar and a Fat Frog

And you got all for 50 Pence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

antodeco wrote: »
    January 22nd 8:05pm. Got 7 chicken nuggets instead of 6. Best. Day. Ever.
    The day the vending machine gave me two items instead of one. Peanut M&Ms which I'm not that pushed about, but still... greatest day ever.

In my childhood it was playing in the garden, digging up stuff and planting things that became vegetables I didn't want to eat and getting as filthy as possible, loving every minute.

As an adult it's now, just married, baby making an entrance soon, financially secure, established in work, and grateful for all the good things that have come my way. Which I appreciate all the more because I remember the bad times just as clearly as I remember the good times.

ETA: Also, the day I bought a KitKat and it was ALL chocolate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭teroknor83

When I didn't realise I was happy until I was not... blissful simple moments as a child

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Go Home Paddy Cat!!

Right now - having my parents around. That and returning to college to do a masters as a 'mature' student for a year in late 20s. That was class! Also the times before all my mates got married and had kids... before that, we were always hanging out :) such is life!

Mine was March 95 to June 97 when I was with a girl who I still think of as the love of my life. Took me years to get over our break up!

I have two great girls but I absolutely hated the whole baby time, lack of sleep, physical and mental tiredness. Thankfully it seems so long ago and no way would we have more kids now!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

2003-2007

College days and nights out, parties every few weeks, camping trips, concerts, holidays abroad with friends, backpacking, living abroad.
    Being spontaneous and not giving a ****.

Life seems to be consumed with work now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,549 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

The 18 months I lived in Singapore were pretty awesome. Got paid very well for a cushy job. Met great people who I'm still friends with. There was an outdoor market where a guy sold great records for very cheap. I had regular DJ gigs and there was a solid social scene.
    Also it's a good hub of a place to easily and cheaply travel to near by locations. I went to Japan, Cambodia, Vietnam, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand while I lived in Singapore. Great experiences.
    Plus a few people came to visit me out there, me ma and my bro and his family on separate occasions.
    It's where I got my Lasik.
    Oh and I was living in a sweet condo too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

I think whenever I have gone abroad on holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Living in the UK in the 90s.
    I was in my 20's, decent job, good money, low overheads, no responsibilities.
    Played bass in a rock band at the weekends.
    Probably went out on the sesh 4 or 5 nights a week.
    Just laughs and good times all the time!
    Man if I could have those years again....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,588 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

England. I was in a bad place personally but moved to England and into a house with great people, who will always be my friends. Plus I had sex and drugs on tap. Went to Glastonbury , and generally took 2-3 years out, which I needed.
    Good good times
    Sorry I wad24 -ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭feelthepower

Probably back when i was 16,17,18,19. Any good Sunny days around 20 of us went to a river bank, lit a fire and drank the night away. All pitched in whatever we could for batteries so we would have music all night as well. Someone usually had a quarter of hash as well and we pitched in for that as well.

The good oul days of Dutch gold and Flagons and 10 benson and 20 euro would do you for the night.

I miss those days, now its working 9-5 with a mortgage and just looking forward to taking annual leave from work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

1997, I was 12, going to the beach in Howth with my granny, aunt and cousin. Used to get the DART out and sit there all day, ate sambas made of the worst ham you could imagine. I remember my cousin running and jumping in the water, thinking it was the best thing in the world.

All the food was in old containers and things like that, few bottles of coke to make up the difference.

My aunt died in 1999, aged 27 from breast cancer. My granny passed a few years ago.

God, those really were the best days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Probably my J1 in San Francisco in the summer of 1996, of which I have so many very happy memories - or when I lived there for a year in 1998-99, after finishing my Masters, or the first couple of years into my first proper long-term relationship in the 2000s when I was still in my 20s, full of energy and enthusiasm and great sex was pretty much on tap. :D:P

That was then - but I’d like to think that the happiest time of my life is still ahead. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    1995 to 1998

This.

Being sent around Europe to train people how to use a floppy disc duplicator :D
    Cracking music coming out :D
    1st moving in with eventual wife :D

The bestest times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭GIMP

The 90s, best decade, especially mid to late in the decade. Best music, sharing a house in Dublin with mates, no responsibility except looking after your own arse. Able to sleep for a minimum of 8 hours, never being tired except after a session in town. Great times ...

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

Yeah the 90's were AWESOME!
    Pre 9/11, no $hitty social media.
    Just britpop, grunge, drugs and good times! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Summer of '99, was in Cape Cod working at a gas station as a petrol pump attendant.
    No J1, just rocked on over and got a cash in hand job.

Partied every night, scored lots, I was 21 .... and I had my whole life ahead of me - I really don't think I've ever been as happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Between the ages of 14 - 17.
    I was young, much hotter than I am now, had a big group of friends, a good social life and a better sex life from age 17 also had so much hope for the future, I was really positive and much more confident, I really believed id be a famous actress or musician by the time I was 20, couldnt act, sing or play any instruments but that didnt come into it.
    Going to teenage discos and gigs, falling head over heels for boys and hoping they liked me back, day dreaming about lads id a crush on.
    Sneaky drinking for the first time and eating bags of magic mushrooms from the head shops. First time drinking in pubs and feeling so excited getting dressed up for the night, the fear of meeting someone that would tell my mother they saw me drinking or in the pub.
    Even meeting strangers was fun, the excitement of meeting new people and having new adventures.
    Wore my heart on my sleeve and learned the hard way that allot of people are d!cks.
    I miss the naivety of youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

Summer of 95 camping on the beach all summer just day after day after day of sun and messing with my friends.

Only one of them I ever talk to anymore an he's in bloody Texas :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,026 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Summer of '99, was in Cape Cod working at a gas station as a petrol pump attendant.
    No J1, just rocked on over and got a cash in hand job.

Partied every night, scored lots, I was 21 .... and I had my whole life ahead of me - I really don't think I've ever been as happy.

Maybe there weren’t as many “airline” adverts to get you all riled up?

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

Advertisement