Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grandads dying

Options
  • 24-12-2020 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

My grandad (mams father) is dying, he only has a few hours left to live the nurses say. He’s not in hospital he’s at home. He’s deteriorated the past week and can’t speak, he just lying lifeless yin his bed.

This is the worst time for a family death especially the side of Christmas.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

Dunno if theres anything anyone can say but I'm very sorry, look after yourself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

I'm very sorry to hear that :( those few hours of waiting are the worst bit, if you are in the house don't be afraid to step away or go outside for a bit, some people feel obligated to be a constant presence in the room/house/ward but that gets difficult very quickly, it will exhaust you. Don't be afraid to step away for some time if that's what you need.

Mind yourself x

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭Pistachio19

Sorry to hear that. Try to take some comfort that he's at home with family around him. Hopefully he is not in pain. Sing to him or play music he'd like. When my mum was in her last hours we played a song from a singer we'd brought her to see a few years previous. Her foot started to move despite her not having moved in hours. It was comforting to us to think she could probably hear it and, hopefully, approved. Mind yourself. It will be a tiring few days.

Advertisement