Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cadetships 2020

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Borderland

Pure Speculation:

So I’ve completed the Psychometric and there is a new section which was not there in previous years. A personality test at the end.

I’ve heard that these were usually sent out post group assessment but pre interview.

On military.ie on the Cadets section they now have:

“The Cadet Competition is held annually and is the only way for potential candidates to join the Defence Forces to become an Army Line Officer. Candidates undergo psychometric and fitness testing, an interview and a medical exam.”

I wonder have they gotten rid of the group assessment because of Covid?? No mention of it on the website and difficult to see how they could run it in practice..

Just cut people based on the personality test/psychometric scores and then interview slightly more than they otherwise would??

• Registered Users Posts: 36 josh1010st

Borderland wrote: »
    Pure Speculation:

So I’ve completed the Psychometric and there is a new section which was not there at previous years. A personality test at the end.

I’ve heard that these were usually sent out post group assessment but pre interview.

“The Cadet Competition is held annually and is the only way for potential candidates to join the Defence Forces to become an Army Line Officer. Candidates undergo psychometric and fitness testing, an interview and a medical exam.”

I wonder have they gotten rid of the group assessment because of Covid?? No mention of it on the website and difficult to see how they could run it in practice..

Just cut people based on the personality test/psychometric scores and then interview slightly more than they otherwise would??

That’s a really good shout in fairness, I thought it was odd too that they have the personality tests in this when they had it separately before.
    The way they conduct the fitness tests might be different too due to Covid?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 RCB1A

mcc_c wrote: »
    Hmmm very strange, unless they're giving them out by branch? Have any of use who got it applied for the Air Corps? Yep I might get in touch on Monday if I hear nothing back!

I don't think you should worry I didn't get my Air Corps one yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭P0dr1ck

Pure Speculation:

So I’ve completed the Psychometric and there is a new section which was not there in previous years. A personality test at the end.

I had a look at the terms and conditions documents and the group assessment is still part of the whole recruitment phase for army and navy

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dskell67

Does anyone have an idea of when they are commencing recruitment again?

Dskell67 wrote: »
    Does anyone have an idea of when they are commencing recruitment again?

For a cadetship? Spring 2021. There are direct entry commissions available on military.ie if you’re eligible.

Just in regard to current competitions applied in March for general service wondering when they will continue with backlog applications

• Registered Users Posts: 7 SierraLima

Hi Guys, for anyone that has applied exclusively for the air corps cadetship, have any of you received the stage 1 online tests yet? Been nearly two weeks since closing date now. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭mcc_c

SierraLima wrote: »
    Hi Guys, for anyone that has applied exclusively for the air corps cadetship, have any of you received the stage 1 online tests yet? Been nearly two weeks since closing date now. Thanks!

Still haven't no, @borderland was saying they do their own thing so I'd imagine that's the case. It's reassuring to know others haven't received it too, always that paranoia that it got deleted or something!

• Advertisement

Well lads I got a junk mail email regarding vetting, I think it's in regards to the Reserves and not the Air Corps, I did the fitness etc for the RDF and the email points towards that a lot but just want to put it out there and make sure nobody else who has applied for the Air Corps has got it

Well lads I got a junk mail email regarding vetting, I think it's in regards to the Reserves and not the Air Corps, I did the fitness etc for the RDF and the email points towards that a lot but just want to put it out there and make sure nobody else who has applied for the Air Corps has got it

Nope, Nothing Air Corps-wise on my end yet.

How did everyone else get on with the Army psychometric? I didn't get through many questions but I think I got most of them right out of the ones I did.

RCB1A wrote: »
    Nope, Nothing Air Corps-wise on my end yet.

How did everyone else get on with the Army psychometric? I didn't get through many questions but I think I got most of them right out of the ones I did.

I fairly powered through them but this’ll be my third time doing the same tests so I think I’ve a bit of practice on the rest of you haha!

Got my date for the fitness/group assessment this morning for the Army Cadetship.

Got my date for the fitness/group assessment this morning for the Army Cadetship.

Congrats, same here! are you the 3rd as well?

Stil no word from Air Corps though for anyone also worrying about that :/

Congrats, same here! are you the 3rd as well?

Stil no word from Air Corps though for anyone also worrying about that :/

3rd here too man, see ye all up there! Best of luck with the training between now and then!

• Advertisement

So I might sound thick but by "wash gear" do they mean clothes for swimming or clothes for change in case you get wet?

So I might sound thick but by "wash gear" do they mean clothes for swimming or clothes for change in case you get wet?

Not Thick man, wash gear normally means your shampoo,deodorant, towel, spare clothes etc like you would bring for after the gym or a swim! They will get us to change and shower after the fitness tests for the psychometric test and the group assessment!

Fair play lads and goodluck! Make sure to keep on top of the running and don't neglect the push ups/sit ups, they booted a few lads from the RDF fitness for not doing them correctly.

Still no word from the Air Corps either, eager to get going on it but I'm sure they have their reasons, reassuring to know none of us have heard!

Fair play lads and goodluck! Make sure to keep on top of the running and don't neglect the push ups/sit ups, they booted a few lads from the RDF fitness for not doing them correctly.

Still no word from the Air Corps either, eager to get going on it but I'm sure they have their reasons, reassuring to know none of us have heard!

There is a specific way to do the fitness test. There is a right way to push ups and sit ups, a wrong way, and then an Army way!

Would note: 1. the locking out of the elbows on the push up, and 2. making sure the feet stay on the ground for the sit ups.

Make sure you practice them! Lads get sent home every year for not being prepared.

Anyone else still waiting for an email from Army/Navy about the fitness assessment and next stage?

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 7 Tsandcs

Also got the email for fitness testing, I got the first of July instead of the 3rd 8am to 7pm I think it was.

Best of luck lads just stay on top of the bit of training and we fly it

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jholland1402

Hi lads just a quick question when they say in the email to bring the username and password we used for the physcometric testing, as far as I can remember the unique link was in the email and I didn't need any username or password, Anyone in the same boat ?

Hi lads just a quick question when they say in the email to bring the username and password we used for the physcometric testing, as far as I can remember the unique link was in the email and I didn't need any username or password, Anyone in the same boat ?

I don't know about any password but I remember in the test link it has your name "Candidate C____" and a bunch of numbers after that. Maybe that's the username?

Edit: You have a username C-whatever and you can set your own password for the account. You just have to go on the link, then "view my profile".

The Air Corps flight school Twitter page just tweeted saying the Phase I will be sent out this week so keep an eye out in your inbox lads

Anyone have any idea how the group assessment is gonna work with social distancing?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 IC901

Has everyone received the dates for the Fitness & Group Assessment for Army Cadetship 2020 at this stage or people still waiting?

IC901 wrote: »
        Has everyone received the dates for the Fitness & Group Assessment for Army Cadetship 2020 at this stage or people still waiting?

Can confirm I got mine, July 1st

Tsandcs wrote: »
        Can confirm I got mine, July 1st

I wonder if they will be sending out more emails this week? Haven't received anything myself yet.
        I guess the Assessment will take place over two weeks?

IC901 wrote: »
        I wonder if they will be sending out more emails this week? Haven't received anything myself yet.
        I guess the Assessment will take place over two weeks?

I still haven't received anything from army or navy after completing the assessment. Hopefully hear something back this week

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ConorAFH

P0dr1ck wrote: »
        I still haven't received anything from army or navy after completing the assessment. Hopefully hear something back this week

They could have split them in half because of covid measures. Cause we probably would have been told if the group had been selected yet and if you look at the email that you received when you completed the assessment they said they’d be in contact to inform you on your progress

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 15 gzaq

How’s it going lads, I got my date for phase 2 on the 30th of June. Just a question in regards to the vetting form, the box for our reference number in the top right, where would I find this number? I have gone back through past emails and I’m unsure if it’s the username we used for Mindmill or something else.

Any help appreciated and best of luck over the next couple of weeks.

gzaq wrote: »
        How’s it going lads, I got my date for phase 2 on the 30th of June. Just a question in regards to the vetting form, the box for our reference number in the top right, where would I find this number? I have gone back through past emails and I’m unsure if it’s the username we used for Mindmill or something else.

Any help appreciated and best of luck over the next couple of weeks.

That’s for the Defence Forces‘ own internal reference number. Nothing you need to worry about!

Hi lads, does anybody know what is involved in the group assessment? Are we just given a task and then have to complete it as a group to see if we can work well in a team?
        Thank you!

josh1010st wrote: »
        Hi lads, does anybody know what is involved in the group assessment? Are we just given a task and then have to complete it as a group to see if we can work well in a team?
        Thank you!

Looking forward to hear the specifics of what Bordeland and P0dr1ck have to say about it due to their previous experience.

A guy I know currently in the Air Corps said his group assessment was trying to build a tower and yeah basically to see whether you can work well in a team, if not or if you're just kind of a bystander. The way he talked about it sounded like they cared more about your performance in the team rather than how tall your tower was (so he thought).

Do take this with a grain of salt as my phone call with him was a bit hard to understand due to signal issues :D

For anyone else out there. I somehow failed the psychometric test which to me is strange. I've done these 3 or 4 times now and got through to the next stage every time. So I will be contacting them about what the hell happened 😂 this was my last chance as well as I will be over the age limit next year. Has anyone else received the same news after doing these for a few years? Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jason dunno

Failed the psychometric test too. Absolutely gutted. Can't understand why becuse I did so much preparation and I thought the questions were grand. Do you think loads of people applied this year and they had to be extra hard with how they marked it ?

P0dr1ck wrote: »
        For anyone else out there. I somehow failed the psychometric test which to me is strange. I've done these 3 or 4 times now and got through to the next stage every time. So I will be contacting them about what the hell happened 😂 this was my last chance as well as I will be over the age limit next year. Has anyone else received the same news after doing these for a few years? Lol

Ah jaysus lad hard luck that's really disheartening to hear. You've nothing to lose by getting in touch wish you the best with that.

@Jason Dunno hard luck as well, hopefully you can have another shot next year.

Keep the head up lads!

Failed the psychometric test too. Absolutely gutted. Can't understand why becuse I did so much preparation and I thought the questions were grand. Do you think loads of people applied this year and they had to be extra hard with how they marked it ?

I would email them and give them a ring. That's what I'm doing anyway. Let me know here if you get through to them. Cause I've been trying a few times this morning but cant get anyone to pick up

Emailing them too. We deserve to know where we went wrong.

• Advertisement

Best of luck to all doing interviews in Dublin tomorrow bit of luck

Anyone have a realistic idea on time frame between fitness/group - interview - medical?

I just got an email today from the Air Corps about the competition. Hope everyone else who applied found it in their inbox!
        Tsandcs wrote: »
        Anyone have a realistic idea on time frame between fitness/group - interview - medical?

If it's any help, the Air Corps aims to be finished with medical by August 14th and have an assessment every second-ish week so maybe Army is going to be the same but starting from the 5th of June instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ConorAFH

Probably had a high amount of applicants this year probably will find out if they release stats for it

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JackHiker1995

Submitted the pysch tests a day late to be told I didn't pass due to the late submission. Fair enough but I appealed it just to chance it. Just got an email on Tuesday to say I actually passed and my date is the 30-Jun. Lesson is they may have some leeway if you reach out.

As I was under the impression I didn't get to the fitness phase I fell off the bandwagon when I went skydiving at the weekend. Essentially a five day sesh. Now I have to try recover my sit ups in a few days which are a terror. I'm fairly fit, can run a km in 3:30 and do 45 press ups in a minute but I think sit ups will be my downfall. Ironic as 20 sit ups should be rudimentary!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ConryJ5

Well lads, just to confirm, I have received an email from the Aer Corps regarding a timeline for the selection process, however have not yet received a link to begin the online psychometric testing. I presume all else are in the same boat?

• Advertisement
      • Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭AD07

Just wondering for the sit ups how far back do you have to go and is anyone standing on your feet? I’m struggling with them

There’s a video on there website of how to do them the right way make sure you follow all pointers, I done my fitness yesterday and he let me away with it apparently I was doing them wrong make sure most of your hand goes over your knee you might get someone that’s sound, nobody stands on your feet you get a mat and you place your heels on the edge best of luck

Hi lads I want to double check before I muck it up, for the army vetting invitation form I put down " Defence Forces Ireland" for the name of organisation and "Army Cadet" for role being vetted for right?
        ConryJ5 wrote: »
        Well lads, just to confirm, I have received an email from the Aer Corps regarding a timeline for the selection process, however have not yet received a link to begin the online psychometric testing. I presume all else are in the same boat?

Yeah just the timeline and the one with the practice link but not the actual test

Hi lads I want to double check before I muck it up, for the army vetting invitation form I put down " Defence Forces Ireland" for the name of organisation and "Army Cadet" for role being vetted for right?

Yeah just the timeline and the one with the practice link but not the actual test

I got the timeline myself from the Air Corps but didn't get any practise link, did you get yours in the same email?

I got the timeline myself from the Air Corps but didn't get any practise link, did you get yours in the same email?

The practice was in the second email, here:

http://getstarted.cut-e.com/home/

• Advertisement
      Advertisement