Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving/Applying for a mortgage 2020-22 Edition

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Galwayhurl

We got approval in principle from AIB today by just entering our details on the portal but without uploading the documents. We still have to upload the docs but we got the letter already.

Is this letter that they gave us actually approval in principle? It says so but it seems far too easy compared with the other lenders. Can we actually bid/pay a booking deposit with this letter?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,233 ✭✭✭This is it

It's approval in principle, but it's not underwritten. Not really worth the paper it's written on really.

Once you send on the required documents they can send to the underwriters and check credit etc.

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I know it's not enough to buy a house but is it enough to be able to bid or get viewings for new builds? Estate agents ask for it.

Just seemed way easier than the other banks. It was almost immediate. Whereas BOI is taking 4 weeks to give AIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Yes but it's better to get the ball rolling on submitting the documents. If you bid on a place and it's accepted the bank could take weeks to months to underwrite it and sellers could move on to the next bidder, leaving you stressed and heartbroken. Make sure you got mortgage protection in place now. We almost lost out on our house due to a medical issue with me, delayed it 6 weeks

Yeah, you can use it with Estate Agents but as above, get the ball rolling with the underwriter

• Advertisement

Oh yeah we have almost all docs uploaded, just waiting on help to buy from Revenue which is delayed as its saying my affairs aren't in order. Presume it's cause I'm still waiting on Statement of Liability for 2019.

PTSB won't give AIP without it which was another reason why the AIP from AIB was a very pleasant surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

imo banks shouldn't be allowed give AIP and estate agents shouldn't be allowed use them in bidding. At the end of the day it serves only the estate agents and sellers to have more bidders that might not even be in a position to bid to jack up prices.

For example 3 people bid on a house, top bidder wins with 20% over the asking price, 3 weeks later it falls though since bank wouldn't loan them, estate agent goes to bidder 2 saying they can have it for 20% over the asking, bidder 2 agrees and is happy but bidder 1 shouldn't been able to bid in the first place. the whole thing is bollox. hurts everybody long term

• Registered Users Posts: 26 spudrick

I'm trying to decipher what the cost would be in relation to paying off a fixed rate loan early. Bank of Ireland's terms and conditions state the following:

If you repay your Mortgage early when you are on a fixed rate of interest, or change to another rate within your fixed rate period, you may have to pay an additional funding fee. This funding fee is compensation for the additional interest expense that the bank may incur as a result of a customer breaking their fixed rate contract. If there is no additional interest expense incurred by the Bank no compensation will be required. This is how the funding fee compensation is calculated - it is equal to “C” where:

C = Ax (R% - R1%) x D / 365

So they have this formula. A is the amount being repaid early and D is the number of days left on the fixed term, simple enough. However I'm struggling to understand with R and R1 are.

“R%” = the annual percentage interest rate which was the cost to us of funding an amount equal to “A” for the originally intended fixed rate period.

“R1%” = the annual percentage interest rate available to us for a deposit of an amount equal to “A” for a period equal to “D”.

So it sounds like R is what it cost BOI to magic up the money to loan to me and R1 is how much they'll make by leaving the amount I paid early gathering interest. But what does that mean in real terms? Is R the ECB rate at time of drawdown and R1 is the ECB rate at time of early repayment? If you were to draw down today and the ECB rates went up in the summer and stayed up, does that mean there would be no charge to pay off the loan early?

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Q&A

Post edited by Q&A on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭byrne249

I'm not sure about the status of docs, if you were told the application is with the underwriter I'd go with that. Send them a message now and they will see it on Tuesday morning, might just get it over the line. That builder seems awful pushy, I put a deposit down with no approval in early December and I was waiting till the end of January almost for approval, never heard a word.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

It depends on where they are with contracts. I put a booking deposit down, got the contract a week later and had 3 weeks to sign it.

I told them I might be 1 - 2 weeks late as I still needed an exemption approved. They were fine with that because they got a timeline from me. But they still asked me to confirm as soon as my exemption was approved because they had dozens of people on the waiting list

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭byrne249

The contract was issued before Christmas, I was waiting five weeks from that point for full approval. He had told me at the viewing in November that they'd give me till the end of January to get everything sorted so they were understanding about the time it would take.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭Jasna1982

But I think that’s the difference. There was a deadline you met. OP already had to push out twice. Not saying I agree because there’s nothing you can do about the slowness of banks. But in todays climate with how many people on waiting lists, the builders are less patient

Use my Tesla referral link for free charging credits: https://www.tesla.com/referral/jasna121868

Received contracts from the vendors solicitor... A list of questions the length of my arm gone back to them from my solicitor... Thought we were flying in the process, valuation done, loan offer ready, survey done, etc. but looks like it'll be a while before we get going unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 beatricebutrus

I got the super fast AIP from AIB and was planning on using it when viewing houses - I actually was never asked for proof of AIP in the end. I find the online portal very handy, so I have ended up staying with AIB . There is a chat function which I used to ask questions about a couple of properties I was interested in, and got good support there. I went sale agreed and uploaded the details last weekend. After a bit of follow up they called me on Thursday to finalise some details and say the mortgage would be sent for underwriting, and I should hear back within a week. Fingers crossed. Hopefully the pre-underwriting updating helps smooth the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Jayno66

Looking for some advice.

We have paid a booking deposit on a new build house, completion is set for June/July. Our solicitor just received our contracts. Our broker got us an AIP from BOI and has them working on a letter of offer now. That's about all he seems willing to do for us. I'm worried about how much rates will increase between now and June/July. We asked our broker to apply to other lenders, and his reply was "you can't sign two letters of offer". He seems reluctant to apply anywhere else for us, but come June/July, we'd like to just go with whoever is offering the lowest rate.

Is the broker correct? If we get a letter of offer from BOI in the next week and sign it, are we tied to BOI and can't change to another lender before completion? Any assistance appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭poker2k9

You can "request" as many letter of offers as you want. However you can only sign & return one.

So if you sign tbe offer from BOI and return it, you are legally bound to thaf lender as far as I know.

You should be asking your solicitor to confirm as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

You can sign as many loan offers as you want. You’re not bound by any bank until you’ve drawn down funds. I bought a house three years ago and had signed loan offers with ptsb. Last min Ulster bank had better rates so went with them. I’m planning on selling now and buying a new build to move closer to family and I’ll have ptsb and boi loan offers and see what rates are at the time of drawdown down. I was not going through a broker and I understand they may want to only apply to one bank being the best bank for you at the time. However with rates increasing and backlog banks are at, I don’t want to be close to closing and trying to line up a new bank then

If your in doubt, ask your solicitor but will tell you same thing.

Post edited by Dolbhad on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭herbalplants

As per above, you can request as many letters of offer as you like. It is only when you withdraw the money, you can only choose one lender!

Your broker is speaking rubbish, he maybe lazy.

Living the life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Murty90

tempted to go for a 4 year fixed rate instead of a 5 year fixed rate. Anyone thinking similar? Surely the interest rates cant keep going up? Is there a cap on them?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Mazzy Star

Was thinking the same.

I was considering the 3 year with AIB which is the the lowest of their fixed offerings.

Anyone with any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭theboringfox

Not advice but personally if I can lock in a rate thats affordable long term Im going with that versus hoping for a fall in rates. I do agree though with sentiment that rates staying high will be tough as eurozone economies will be in difficulty. I think ECB wants a sharp shock to remove excess liquidity from covid savings and government spending and then it will be back cutting rates. I think a recession is coming in US and Europe. Im usually wrong tbf

Was thinking the same, but then I kinda calculated affordability and set a limit for myself on how much I want to repay monthly , and results was I ended up asking to switch the 4 years to 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭BangBeater

Hi... Does anyone know if there is a website that shows all the up to date / actual latest mortgage rates? Bonkers, switcher, etc all seem to have outdated interest rates when applying a search.

Or maybe I am being an idiot...

I mostly use switcher and their rates should be up to date. Is there a particular rate you saw that looked otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 22 psych77

Has anyone any recommendations for quick turnaround of mortgage protection insurance?

I went with Royal London and got it sorted within 3 days.

Pretty straight forward for me as I didn't need to provide any additional docs. So your answers about your health can also impact turnaround. You can't lie on this just to get a faster turnaround as it can come back to bite you if things need to be validated.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 aislingm999

Has anyone bought a new build house recently? I went sale agreed on one 4 weeks and I'm still waiting to receive the contracts. Is this normal for new builds ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 midico

So I have a loan offer completed and contracts signed in relation to the purchase of a new build. The house is still a couple of months away from being completed and drawdown happening.

In the meantime, I've decided to put my current mortgage free home up for sale. The original plan was to rent it out and keep it as a long term investment, but the closer we get to actually doing it and the more we've looked at the details we've just come to the conclusion now is a better time to sell.

The money we get from that sale will be more than the mortgage we're getting so we'd like to use it to pay it off. I realise the smart thing would have been to sell the house in advance and not gone through the whole mortgage process but like I said our plans changed and there's near 0% chance of selling before drawdown.

Would our best option be to switch the mortgage to a 1 year fixed rate (the offer was 5 years but I've been told I can change that and it's no big deal) and then pay it off using the funds from the sale at the end of that?

Advertisement