Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bible Recommendations

Options
  • 29-12-2020 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

I am currently reading the KJV Bible but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a version thats, how do I put this, easier and smoother on the mind to read?!? I've seen other versions and wondering if anyone has any first hand account recommendations and thoughts on other versions versus the KJV Bible. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

GKiraly wrote: »
    I am currently reading the KJV Bible but I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a version thats, how do I put this, easier and smoother on the mind to read?!? I've seen other versions and wondering if anyone has any first hand account recommendations and thoughts on other versions versus the KJV Bible. Thanks!

Well the NIV is an obvious one. There are enough conundrums to navigate in scripture without worrying about the whole 'are you NIV positive' debate.

And 'The Message' paraphrase gives a good sense of the heart of the matter. Although you're taking one persons view of the heart of the matter so don't take it as iron clad .. er .. gospel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭John Hutton

If you are finding the Bible hard to read (I always have, thin pages, tiny font, KJV has some charm but is hard to read) I thoroughly recommend the Word on Fire bible. The first volume is just the Gospels but the rest will be published in time. I think this is useful cause you can work through each volume in turn as they are published (at least that's what I am doing).

I love books (I won't tell you the number I have hoarded :o) and this Bible (I have the leather one, there is a cheaper hardback and a cheaper again paperback) is really well made and is very beautiful. Even my brother, who has zero interest in religion or books was very impressed with mine.

https://europe.wordonfire.org/collections/bible/products/gospels-leather

The translation used is the New Revised Standard Version: Catholic Edition (NRSV-CE) which I have found good and accessible. If you want a good full bible with an accessible translation you could go for that one.

To be honest though, if you go down the rabbit hole of which translation is best you will get strong opinions either way on all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭GKiraly

Good stuff, thanks very much to you both, 2 very good suggestions. And looking them up further online both look like very good options. Decisions decisions!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Captain Lugger

The Revised English Bible with Apocrypha, published by Cambridge, is my bible of choice. https://www.cambridge.org/bibles/bible-versions/revised-english-bible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

The NIV 2011 edition is a bit controversial, having removed a lot of gender specific pronouns and other words. Most users of the NIV translation will be using the 1984 edition

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

The kindle one I use is a Douay-Rheims version, there seem to a fair number on Amazon at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

We used to learn verses of scripture by rote from the KJV in primary school and Sunday School. Funnily enough I thought everyone did then. Now I don't know how I did it at all. I bought my NIV about 25 years ago and found it much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ChrisJ84

ESV is also a solid translation, and worth checking out

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭santing

You could check out any version at the bible gateway https://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=john+3&version=NKJV

I can recommend the NKJV, NASB, CSB, ESV as I use these a lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

My go to is the NIV. the message is good to get the story, especially Old testament.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,658 ✭✭✭brian_t

My go to is the NIV. the message is good to get the story, especially Old testament.

You can get a NIV & The Message Parallel Bible.

It has the two versions side by side on each page.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

Older Bibles have a majesty to them, but at times the meaning can be unclear or only approximately clear. I suggest the Knox version. Monsignor Ronald Knox, or Ronnie as his pals knew him, a convert from Anglicanism to Catholicism, considered older translations to obviously old fashioned and not clear in meaning. However a lot of newer efforts were forgetful of the sonorous tones of old time Bible. His Knox version, a commision of the bishops of England and Wales, was the result. The Baronius edition with good quality stitched leather includes a booklet, On Englishing the Bible.

https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-versions/ and https://www.biblegateway.com/ are among the online tools which allow you to compare how various editions seem to you. Neither has the Knox version but Baronius have a sample page from Deutoronomy.

One very pertinent point is that a few UK publishers (like Baronius) have stopped or restricted shipping to the EU while they work out tariffs and charges after Brexit.

Advertisement