Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost my Stepdad Today

Options
  • 25-08-2020 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭

Hey, my stepdad lost his battle to cancer today and I'm heartbroken. He came into my life almost 20 years ago after my Dad died and my mother remarried, he was a gent and I loved him greatly.

Due to Covid, we only got a short time to say goodbye, he was unconscious but at least I got to tell him how much I loved him and how I'd take care of my Mam. I had to put my dog to sleep last week so everything is very raw.

I just hope the guilt subsides, I know we did everything we could but I'm self employed and now regret not taking more time to spend with him.

Thanks for reading, I find it easier to talk to people I don't know.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

Hey, my stepdad lost his battle to cancer today and I'm heartbroken. He came into my life almost 20 years ago after my Dad died and my mother remarried, he was a gent and I loved him greatly.

Due to Covid, we only got a short time to say goodbye, he was unconscious but at least I got to tell him how much I loved him and how I'd take care of my Mam. I had to put my dog to sleep last week so everything is very raw.

I just hope the guilt subsides, I know we did everything we could but I'm self employed and now regret not taking more time to spend with him.

Thanks for reading, I find it easier to talk to people I don't know.

I can relate to what you're going through my own stepfather took his own life 10yrs ago was remarried with my mother, I had plenty of regrets I can assure you. Having to grieve a second father in many ways also very difficult, you're going to go through a range of different emotions, the cliché of time is a healer is so true. You'll find a way to sift through the different feelings, I'm sure from what you describe he knew you loved him and with time you'll be able to see and appreciate things in a different light, helping your mother now will give you focus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Sorry for your loss Easterly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

I am so sorry for your loss. You really have had a lot of grief in your life, as has your mam.

I am sure you have lots of lovely memories that will, in time, give you comfort as you go through your grief this time.

You're in my thoughts,

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I'm very sorry for your loss. You will have a myriad of emotions. Mind yourself.

Advertisement