Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Headstone???

Options
  • 13-07-2015 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

Just wondering if anybody has recent experience of buying a headstone. Our beloved Dad passed away over a year ago & I really need to get it organised but have no idea of the procedure.

I presume we shop around for one that would suit Dad but just have a couple of questions if anyone can help:

1. How long after burial should a headstone be placed on the grave?
    2. Roughly how long from choosing stone & wording does it take to get it in situ?
    3. Whats the average cost of stone & installation?
    4. Do you put down a deposit or pay in full?
    5. Is there such thing as paying by installments?

I realise that I'd know most of the answers if I went looking but finances are a bit tight so I just don't want to be embarrassed if I get a shock on enquiring so I'd just like to be forearmed. I'm also finding it difficult to face up to doing it as it seems so final & is. We're complete novices (thankfully) so any help would be greatly appreciated & thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,264 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

To answer your question. In my area people generally tries to put up the head stone for the first anniversary.
    Cost, paying in instalments, etc would all depend on the supplier. I'd suggest shopping around.
    You'd be looking at a couple of thousand to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Based on my own experience OP here you go...

1. How long after burial should a headstone be placed on the grave?

Personally there is no rule set in stone for this although we did follow tradition and had it up by my Mum's first anniversary.

2. Roughly how long from choosing stone & wording does it take to get it in situ?

We started the process end of May 2012, took around a month for us to 100% agree style, wording etc... one month to have made by the supplier, so it was in place Mid August (give or take)

3. Costs

It depends on lots of things OP, size of grave, colour of stone, type of stone... ours a "single" grave (3 people), black, granite, with full surround and plynths etc - cost €4,000

4. Do you put down a deposit or pay in full?

We paid 50% deposit once everything was agreed.

5. Is there such thing as paying by installments?

we didnt have this option but I'm sure if you ask it may be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,685 ✭✭✭buried

Make sure the supplier provides the adequate, professional concrete foundation needed for your headstone underneath it. Its the most important part of the headstone, but because the foundation is (should be) underground, not many customers think of it.

Graveyards are constantly moving ground and you must have a decent foundation for your stone, if there isn't one in 10 - 12 years your entire headstone could well look like the leaning tower of Pisa and your kerb surrounds will have moved all over the place resulting in having to have the whole entire job done again.

Go into graveyards and look at these type of jobs falling and moving, its always due to the fact that either a poor/ no foundation is built underneath the headstone. Demand a decent foundation from your supplier, even demand to see what amount of soil removed and depth of foundation your supplier will provide before the concrete goes into the foundation.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭bertson

Depending where in the country you are based.
    The undertaker/headstone guys will be able to advise how soon after burial the stone can go up - will depend on config of the grave.

In Carlow the cost for us was €3600, but quoted anywhere from 2800 to 4500

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

tricky
    I bought a very good granite headstone with bases and kerbs for 1250
    But the guys only supply the stones , no inscription or installation.
    Still, compared to market prices (minimum €2200) it was a good deal.
    Used a local monumental work guys to do the job, engraving and installation, perfectly done at €800 !
    Was allover a good deal

• Advertisement
Advertisement