Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wimbledon

Options
  • 07-05-2005 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭

Hi,
    I am going to Wimbledon this year(as a spectator!).
    Just wondering if anyone here has been and any recommendations/do's & don'ts to get the best out of the day?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Taking it off topic STRAIGHT away, but how did you score the tickets? Lucky begger :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 365 ✭✭smileygal

ha ha - i was in shock myself to get them in the ballot - i never win any competitions i enter so basically it's a payback in good luck :D for a massive accumulation of failed lotteries/draws/comps. :mad:

Entered the ballot last year and got friend to enter.Neither worked. Thought i hadn't a hope again this year and bingo!

So I'd recommend giving it a go- nothing to lose, just a bit of effort (no e-mail applications, VISA payments or any mod cons like you get to use in other applications!). Open Aug-Dec.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 server_girl

i, like you, got tickets in the ballot this year. we'd camped out last year. great fun, excellent day. we didn't really do a huge amount of wandering round once play started, we pretty much stayed in our front row centre court seats... :):D except for topping up on pimms of course.

bring suntan lotion, brollie, warm clothes & sun clothes! ul get food in there, sambo's, hotfood, icecream, strawberries n cream (expensive but not as dear as i thought they'd be) and drink lots of pimms.

you can wander round the tournament and watch what ever matches you like on all the outside courts. get the order of play in the newspaper that morning and you can then plan what matches you want to watch. also make sure you get over to the practice area.

enjoy, it's a brill day!

That's a great idea to go to the practice courts - hadn't thought of that. I will be so excited just to be there!!

Yes, Pimms is definitely on the list. Will be interesting trying to follow the score after a few Pimms!

Will need a suitcase to bring in all the weather gear! they have tightened security on bags this year. Is there anything you weren't allowed to bring in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 server_girl

i found i didn't follow the score at all, just watched (admired) them play. if you're a tennis player you'll prob do same!

when you camp out, you get to leave all your luggage in lockers outside the grounds, so we left most stuff there except the essentials, a strict search is done on you and your bags. check the wimbledon site, there is tons of info on it.

• Advertisement

I wished i could have seen Goran Ivanesevic playing - the oldies seem to have had a more humourous side to them.
    Ah well he might be visiting..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

smileygal wrote:
    the oldies seem to have had a more humourous side to them.

Agreed - I love watching the veterans play, great fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I went about 10 years ago, it was a year that they had to play on the middle Sunday cause the weather had been awful. We had to queue for about 3 hours but the atmosphere was great. Seein as you have tickets you won't have to do that, but even after 3 hours in a queue (and I was only 8/9) I loved it! When are your tickets for? If they're for the first week, you should wander around some of the outer courts cause some fairly big names play out there at the beginning, then as the numbers decrease they tend to be on centre court and no 1. Can't wait to watch them, the French is on during my exams so I'm doubly looking forward to Wimbledon. Enjoy :)

Agreed - I love watching the veterans play, great fun :)
    Henri Leconte was just brilliant. Have you seen the Iranian guy(whose name I tried to memorise but failed) who plays in the Oldies Section? He is priceless.

Anyway got my tickets today(paid for in Feb - a long wait).yippee :D going to be at Southern end of Centre Court, somewhere near the Royal Box..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Young Siward

smileygal wrote:
    Henri Leconte was just brilliant. Have you seen the Iranian guy(whose name I tried to memorise but failed) who plays in the Oldies Section? He is priceless.

Anyway got my tickets today(paid for in Feb - a long wait).yippee :D going to be at Southern end of Centre Court, somewhere near the Royal Box..

Think it's Mansour Bahrami - legend.

• Advertisement
Advertisement