Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Masterchef the Professionals 2019

Options
  • 23-10-2019 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭

Starts Tuesday 5 November at 8 p.m. on BBC2.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,954 ✭✭✭Degag

Always signifies to me that Christmas is near when this is back on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭tinpib

Good stuff, I googled this to see if there was a start date as I saw and ad for Ant and Decs DNA sumfink or other just there during the rugby semi final.

Masterchef Professionals and Im a Celeb(hence Ant and Dec) always lead into Christmas as Degag said, it's one of my favourite times of the year, certainly best time of year for telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,860 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Dang, missed this post, and missed the start of the series!

Just happened to notice it on tonight, I'm watching it back now..... and from the very start the look of sheer grit and determination on their faces compared to the civvie version is slightly scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭twill

They were racing around like possessed people for the last challenge tonight!

I'll spoiler this for anyone who hasn't seen tonight's episode yet.
    It's early to say, but Olivia could well be a contender. She's a perfectionist and she looks like she has everything mapped out. Yann was pretty impressive too, and Freddie might come into his own. It was a good bunch this week. Pity about Christian, I thought he could go far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Thought exactly the same thing myself Twill. :)

• Advertisement

Dovies wrote: »
    Thought exactly the same thing myself Twill. :)
    As did I - she was extremely professional, organised and had a steely-eyed determination about her.

Oh my lord, the chefs are making an absolute bollix of the skills tests :eek:

(Only catching up on the first episode of the week)

And the second lot aren't much better so far on tonight's round :rolleyes:

I can't help wondering are these skills tests made to make absolute monkeys of the chefs? They're fairly obscure things to spring on them, with 15 mins to do it, and the three pairs of eyes boring into you, and making small talk at the same time.

I also wonder (and I don't think it's just because I'm getting older!) if the contestants getting younger and younger means they just don't have the experience or maturity for a competition like this? The first two on tonight's show are 20 ffs - I'd hardly boiled an egg by then!

I know they're working as chefs, but entering MC with two years' experience??? Talk about setting yourself up for a fall......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭4Ad

The standard on the last 2 nights has being poor, odd exception. I do find some of the skills tests very difficult though, especially with the added pressure of the face pulling. I say that every year..

I think all skills tests so far have been 15 minutes, whereas previously they had 20 minutes for the more involved tasks and 15 minutes for the more straightforward ones. It's ridiculous pressure.

• Advertisement

twill wrote: »
    They were racing around like possessed people for the last challenge tonight!

I'll spoiler this for anyone who hasn't seen tonight's episode yet.
    It's early to say, but Olivia could well be a contender. She's a perfectionist and she looks like she has everything mapped out. Yann was pretty impressive too, and Freddie might come into his own. It was a good bunch this week. Pity about Christian, I thought he could go far.

Christian had an air of cockiness about him that i didn't like IMO

Am a bit behind, just watching episode 5 at the moment but kind of amazed with Marcus.

He refused to eat some guy's razor clams because of cross-contamination. As he should have of course. However he let Greg and Monica taste them before hand:eek:

OMG, I think I'm going to have to start fast forwarding through the skills tests, can't deal with the stress of them making such a complete shambles of it.

Even I know (vaguely) what a Croque Monsieur should be like.....

However, Marcus and Monika applying their own particular standards to the challenge always seems a bit unfair, there's always more than one way to skin a cat!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Croque Monsieur and especially the risotto are things I reckon I could of done a better job than most of them. They were 2 refreshingly simple tasks, I guess most of the contestants are incredibly nervous which is understandable

Can't say I'd have done a better job at either, in fairness! But I'm not a pro chef either (that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it)

Did Monica seriously slice all those peas in half that she used as a garnish on her risotto??? Above and beyond!

I think all skills tests so far have been 15 minutes, whereas previously they had 20 minutes for the more involved tasks and 15 minutes for the more straightforward ones. It's ridiculous pressure.

Of course now they've had a couple of 20 minutes tests, just to prove me wrong. :D

I don't know what Jorge was doing with that fish. I have to agree with 4Ad after all, the basic skills this series have been seriously lacking.

I love Lorena's Belfast accent.

Mother of god, I never cease to be amazed (aka appalled) at the amount of butter they use in these dishes :eek:

No wonder eating out is so tasty!!

(I've just started watching tonight's episode, so a tad behind)

Ah, that was rough on Miranda and Lorena, any other week so far and they'd have sailed through probably.

That patisserie fella fairly smashed it given it's not his comfort zone!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I have to agree with 4Ad after all, the basic skills this series have been seriously lacking.

I'm only on Ep6, but so far it's been very weak compared to previous years. I don't see a winner from the half I've seen so far.

Feeling slightly queasy at Marcus's skills test dish - there must be about half a pound of butter gone into it :eek: (and I'm a total butter fiend!)

I find myself wondering more and more this season what on earth the waste levels from this must be - between all the practicing at home, and then the masses of food prepared in each round, about 1/10th of which seems to be actually plated up for judging.

ETA - also, runny fried egg and chicken - eeuuwwwwwww!

• Advertisement

OK, I just realised I've been banging on about butter maybe a leeeeetle bit too much! I promise never to mention it again!!

There were a few likely-looking contestants last night - a very strong round overall. I was sorry to see that South African lady go out, I suspect she'd have been a very strong, steady cook but she just seemed to lose the head on the signature dish, having absolutely smashed the skills test. A pity.

I wonder what tonight's bunch will throw up?

I'm cringing at this skills test so far! How can a cooking teacher forget how to poach an egg?

I'm cringing at this skills test so far! How can a cooking teacher forget how to poach an egg?
    Oh gawd!!!

I'm only starting to watch now, so a bit behind. I'm starting to absolutely dread these skills tests!!

I'm calling shenanigans - when would there EVER be leftover sauce from a beef bourgignon??? What I hadn't mopped up with the mash or rice, I'd be scooping up with a big spoon!!!!

Leftover bourgignon sauce, seriously???

• Registered Users Posts: 5,079 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I think half of these are builders pretending to be chefs! Even I can poach an egg and I know what a drop scone is! I cant segment an orange but I'm not a chef :)

Cheryl setting herself up for a BIG fall here......

I'm sorry to report that it gets worse in Marcus's test!

I'm sorry to report that it gets worse in Marcus's test!
    Jesus, it can't :eek:

I've another bone to pick......

In the car crash that was Cheryl's dish, they said her bread wasn't toasted.....

I'd beg to differ. She was the only one who DID toast the bread, the rest (including Marcus) all fried it.

Have I been using the incorrect terminology all my life???

• Advertisement

I missed this last night, but it's amusing.

Masterchef UK on Instagram.

Advertisement