Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mayo GAA Discussion - Part 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Is that really true of 2016? As I remember Mayo never looked like losing that game...

No. It’s an odd narrative that’s thrown out every now and again. It seems our lucky goals are worth a good 5 points or so any time we play what’s perceived to be weaker opposition - Fermanagh in 2016, Tipp in 16 and 18 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Blackjack wrote: »
    No. It’s an odd narrative that’s thrown out every now and again. It seems our lucky goals are worth a good 5 points or so any time we play what’s perceived to be weaker opposition - Fermanagh in 2016, Tipp in 16 and 18 etc.

And that is how much we will win by tomorrow after a bit of huffing and puffing for the first three quarters
    Not worried

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,319 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

naughto wrote: »
    Are post being deleted or am I going mad

So it looks like all o'Leary post have being deleted can some 1 let us no what's going on ????

Yes, some posts were deleted, because of their content.

It is a common occurrence.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

naughto wrote: »
    Are post being deleted or am I going mad

So it looks like all o'Leary post have being deleted can some 1 let us no what's going on ????

I'm guessing that perhaps boards have been previously issued with legal letters from our friend and are wary. Rightly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭ureds

Any results from the Co.board draw made this afternoon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

ureds wrote: »

Tim O Leary won all the prizes

I'm guessing that perhaps boards have been previously issued with legal letters from our friend and are wary. Rightly so.

Doubt that’s the case

Good to see business as usual return in the championship today.

Hoping it gives our lads a kick up the hole and rule out this over cautious garbage that’s been floating around. We are deserved favourites, now it’s up to us to turn up for the 70 and if we do then not much tipp can do about it. We are our own worst enemy in these situations, it’s not underdogs that will take us out it’s ourselves not turning up it’s as simple as that. Tipp have had an easy run to this game, we’ve done the hard work.

We need to be confident enough to put them away early on to allow us make a few changes in the 3rd quarter to prepare for the next challenge. We also need to consider the wide and eerie pitch. We might be very familiar with croke park but we haven’t played there in 15mths, how many have Dublin played there in that time frame, that’ll be a big advantage to them in the final.

Dublin didn’t fear Cavan and did what was expected, we need to match their winning attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Yeah but in both those games if the opposition had a got a lucky break with 15 mins to go, and hit a purple patch, we might have been in bother but they didnt and we werent, but still we left them in the mix till late on. I know was and so was everyone around me, concerned V Fermanagh until O'Sheas swan lake impersonation ;)

Yeah but in both those games if the opposition had a got a lucky break with 15 mins to go, and hit a purple patch, we might have been in bother but they didnt and we werent, but still we left them in the mix till late on. I know was and so was everyone around me, concerned V Fermanagh until O'Sheas swan lake impersonation ;)

Yeah a lot was made of that penalty including Rte showing a replay of the only footage they had from a single camera (the only one they brought to the match). However it was a tangling of legs or a trip as far as anyone who was able to see it was concerned including this photographer, who’s evidence, unsurprisingly, didn’t get much coverage at all.

https://twitter.com/inphojames/status/752245287327072256?s=21

• Advertisement

Yeah a lot was made of that penalty including Rte showing a replay of the only footage they had from a single camera (the only one they brought to the match). However it was a tangling of legs or a trip as far as anyone who was able to see it was concerned including this photographer, who’s evidence, unsurprisingly, didn’t get much coverage at all.

https://twitter.com/inphojames/status/752245287327072256?s=21

In short - that penalty was the correct decision. The black card against Tipp early in the 2016 game was also the correct decision. Sometimes we actually get the correct decision, yet in doing so it’s deemed as “lucky”.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,008 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Mayo_fan wrote: »
    Good to see business as usual return in the championship today.

Hoping it gives our lads a kick up the hole and rule out this over cautious garbage that’s been floating around. We are deserved favourites, now it’s up to us to turn up for the 70 and if we do then not much tipp can do about it. We are our own worst enemy in these situations, it’s not underdogs that will take us out it’s ourselves not turning up it’s as simple as that. Tipp have had an easy run to this game, we’ve done the hard work.

We need to be confident enough to put them away early on to allow us make a few changes in the 3rd quarter to prepare for the next challenge. We also need to consider the wide and eerie pitch. We might be very familiar with croke park but we haven’t played there in 15mths, how many have Dublin played there in that time frame, that’ll be a big advantage to them in the final.

Dublin didn’t fear Cavan and did what was expected, we need to match their winning attitude

I don't see the issue here. How would 'putting tipperary away early' enhance our chances against Dublin? We beat teams off the park all summer in 2013 and in the end we got exactly as close to Dublin in 2017, when it too multiple replays and extra times to get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

ureds wrote: »

Speaking of draws, there's a brilliant WhatsApp doing the rounds of a draw for a car in Limerick.

Before drawing the winner, our hero decides to give the drum a quick spin, unfortunately he has forgotten to close the doors and tickets fly everywhere in the wind.

One guy can be heard sighing "for fcuks sake!" off camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

Jesus what i'd give to be on the way to croker with the green and red on loop the full way. The spin up is nearly better than the match,filled with hope and excitement. The jersey still got a good iron last night anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

After the Noah's ark like deluge of rain it it is quite a pleasant day.

Hope for same in Dublin.

Best of luck to the lads and hopefully we can at least give ourselves a shot at downing Dublin.

We all know the boys will give it their all.

Muigheo Abu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

irishgeo wrote: »
    Another troll.

Report him.
    Mayo should have enough, will be an interesting game anyways not like yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 15,005 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

I think there might have been an expectation that seeing as it was Tipps first SF in decades decades that Mayo might in some way steam roll them.
    What transpired was that Tipp lead 6-3 after 24mins, then Mayo got a goal, were 6 up at HT and that was really that.
    Up to that Mayo goal Tipp had a black card and Mayo had six wides.
    Tipp did get it back to two in the second half but a Conor O'Shea goal put an end to it.

Never during the match did I recall Mayo being vulnerable, but now 4 years on it has ended up with a narrative that Mayo were lucky, just because they did not do what they did to Donegal in 2013 or Roscommon in the 2017 replay.

I notice the Connacht final is taking on the same narrative.
    Somehow Mayo were lucky to beat Galway even though there played very well and lead throughout.

With any likeable underdog story people will use a very narrow set of evidence to find a way to affirm their support of the underdog, and a very broad set of evidence against the favorite.

In this case the evidence for Tipp rests on a win against a shyte Cork team, and the evidence against Mayo includes everything form another alleged lucky win over Galway, relegation to Div 2, losing to Kildare, getting hammered by Dublin and Kerry last year etc etc.

How dearly I'd love to see them make it another v Donegal 2013 or Roscommon 2017.

I don't see the issue here. How would 'putting tipperary away early' enhance our chances against Dublin? We beat teams off the park all summer in 2013 and in the end we got exactly as close to Dublin in 2017, when it too multiple replays and extra times to get there.
    I think there might have been an expectation that seeing as it was Tipps first SF in decades decades that Mayo might in some way steam roll them.
    What transpired was that Tipp lead 6-3 after 24mins, then Mayo got a goal, were 6 up at HT and that was really that.
    Up to that Mayo goal Tipp had a black card and Mayo had six wides.
    Tipp did get it back to two in the second half but a Conor O'Shea goal put an end to it.

Never during the match did I recall Mayo being vulnerable, but now 4 years on it has ended up with a narrative that Mayo were lucky, just because they did not do what they did to Donegal in 2013 or Roscommon in the 2017 replay.

I notice the Connacht final is taking on the same narrative.
    Somehow Mayo were lucky to beat Galway even though there played very well and lead throughout.

With any likeable underdog story people will use a very narrow set of evidence to find a way to affirm their support of the underdog, and a very broad set of evidence against the favorite.

In this case the evidence for Tipp rests on a win against a shyte Cork team, and the evidence against Mayo includes everything form another alleged lucky win over Galway, relegation to Div 2, losing to Kildare, getting hammered by Dublin and Kerry last year etc etc.

How dearly I'd love to see them make it another v Donegal 2013 or Roscommon 2017.

Some very valid points but I think context is everything.

A very comprehensive victory would likely be a confidence fill up for a team given virtually zero chance against Dublin irrespective of the same margin of victory today.

I know I seem to be contradicting myself :D but irrespective of Tod's very good points a large swathe of the country need a lot of convincing that Mayo can really put it up to Dublin in any sort of competitive fashion.

Today will tell us a lot and I'm hopeful Croke Park is an environment in which this developing team can potentially flourish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,924 ✭✭✭threeball

Mayo would be better off losing this today as at least there would be a bit of history made with a repeat of the 1920 final. The reality is this Mayo team won't beat that Dublin team and ye could do without another final heartbreak. Mayo have been denied a couple of All Irelands over the last decade due to the inequality in the system and the starker that point is laid bare to the big wigs the better it will be for Mayo and for football in general.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Some very valid points but I think context is everything.

A very comprehensive victory would likely be a confidence fill up for a team given virtually zero chance against Dublin irrespective of the same margin of victory today.

I know I seem to be contradicting myself :D but irrespective of Tod's very good points a large swathe of the country need a lot of convincing that Mayo can really put it up to Dublin in any sort of competitive fashion.

Today will tell us a lot and I'm hopeful Croke Park is an environment in which this developing team can potentially flourish.

But they always do, they did in 2016 and 2017 certainly.

And why should I care if the country needs convincing about Mayo's ability to beat Dublin ?

As long as we as Mayo fans get to enjoy a win and the team themselves are convinced of their ability to beat Dublin (and Tipp first of course) what else really matters.

• Advertisement

And why should I care if the country needs convincing about Mayo's ability to beat Dublin ?

As long as we as Mayo fans get to enjoy a win and the team themselves are convinced of their ability to beat Dublin (and Tipp first of course) what else really matters.

That's the spirit Tod.:D

It matters not a jot what the supporters think as long as the bolded is true.

threeball wrote: »
    Mayo would be better off losing this today as at least there would be a bit of history made with a repeat of the 1920 final. The reality is this Mayo team won't beat that Dublin team and ye could do without another final heartbreak. Mayo have been denied a couple of All Irelands over the last decade due to the inequality in the system and the starker that point is laid bare to the big wigs the better it will be for Mayo and for football in general.

What a stupid post.
    An interloper from I think I know where.

We can expect a lot of ye throughout the day I suppose.

You're only prolonging the period in which Mayo won't win an all ireland. Another Mayo Dublin final will be spun by Croke Park to hide the fact that Mayo like other teams start these games with at least one arm tied behind their backs.

What a stupid post.
    An interloper from I think I know where.

We can expect a lot of ye throughout the day I suppose.

Yes, insults, thats going to solve alot. Fair play to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

threeball wrote: »

Do people think before the write this ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

I dont understand the narrative that Mayo have to make some kind of statement.
    There's a good few lads playing senior for the first in Croke park against a seasoned and talented bunch who have soldiered together for Tipp and won silverware.
    I'd be happy to fall over the line and start thinking about the next step then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

HBC08 wrote: »
    I dont understand the narrative that Mayo have to make some kind of statement.
    There's a good few lads playing senior for the first in Croke park against a seasoned and talented bunch who have soldiered together for Tipp and won silverware.
    I'd be happy to fall over the line and start thinking about the next step then.

Mayo won silverware this year and last year. Also some of the mayo team have all Ireland medals from the minor/u21 level just like some of the Tipp team.

Mayo should have enough but it will be close if we can stop kicking a huge amount of wides.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭HBC08

irishgeo wrote: »
    Mayo won silverware this year and last year. Also some of the mayo team have all Ireland medals from the minor/u21 level just like some of the Tipp team.

Mayo should have enough but it will be close if we can stop kicking a huge amount of wides.

I'm aware of that,I said senior.
    I'm expecting Mayo to win but I'm worried.We are used to having a lot of possession and I think we might struggle with that today.This team is finding its feet and when they click fully will be a match for anyone.I hope they can do enough today and I would take a jammy 1 point win.Theres a lot of talk about blowing Tipp away,making statements and about what might happen in a final,that's dangerous talk.Semi finals are about winning and only winning.

HBC08 wrote: »
    I'm aware of that,I said senior.
    I'm expecting Mayo to win but I'm worried.We are used to having a lot of possession and I think we might struggle with that today.This team is finding its feet and when they click fully will be a match for anyone.I hope they can do enough today and I would take a jammy 1 point win.Theres a lot of talk about blowing Tipp away,making statements and about what might happen in a final,that's dangerous talk.Semi finals are about winning and only winning.

You are misinterpreting my post.

I'll be quite happy to simply get over the line.

I'm taking zero for granted.

Making a statement is simply the dream scenario for me like many others nothing more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Must be some fierce competition in training. More changes to the subs again today.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement