Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N56 - Dungloe to Glenties

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭dollylama

Is this the section down in the cut crossing the new bridge?

In fairness to BAM, they made great progress on this project all considered.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭ernestcooke91

Yes, this section opened up last Thursday.

You are now driving on the completed road, obviously there is still more work to complete such as final surfacing

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's a significant section needing final surfacing and marking. The bit near the lake likely needs two layers (+ marking) and then there's plenty of crash barriers and landscaping/tidyup outstanding.

Managed to hit every single green on the Glenties-Maas section somehow; the way back last time was nearly all reds so I'm just getting balance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Is this new part also open to traffic now?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, that opened at Christmas. Still needed significant surfacing (2+ layers) but was open in both directions and the old section out of use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭yannakis

Thanks for that :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

In the map you showed, is that

N56 Dungloe to Glenties (Phase 5 Dungloe to Cloghbolie)

or

N56 Dungloe to Glenties (Phase 4 Letterilly to Kilraine Ph1)

Phase 5 Dungloe - Cloghbolie

Letterilly - Kilraine Part 1 is nowhere near complete, nearly the entire road is running on what will become the cycle track - either the old road or a new single lane.

What looks like another small offline section on the D-C map there was actually done by DLCC in ~2009 (albeit it took them years to do so) - the new road is just a resurfacing with cycle track alongside of that.

How bad are the delays between Maas and Glenties these days?

To answer that - still three sections, still possible to be held for 11+ minutes depending on how you catch the sequence.

One tiny section is now online on the new road - where it bridges that tiny river at the Glenties end, and the old bridge is now demolished.

Dungloe to Cloghbolie is finished on the road, but there are still some landscaping works and bits of the cycle track to finish up. Numerous workers on Good Friday even!

• Advertisement

Just thought I would give this a further update on the Glenties section of this road.

Since the last message, there is now approximately another 1km which has been moved over to the new road layout.

We are still on 3 temporary traffic lights. I would guess, it's probably about the same length of delay on travelling through it.

I would imagine the next while should see good progress on it

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭cartoncowboy

When is this scheme due to be fully complete?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Unless I missed it, I think Phase 2 of "N56 Phase 4 Letterilly to Kilraine" is still not started? If it did start, when was that?

That's not been started. Was it even tender awarded?

There were signs for a Wills site office over there last year (near the closed hardware store), but I'm fairly sure it was not awarded at the time anyway!

Any chance there'll be some alleviation of the one-ways for the BH weekend?

We're already a week in to the CIF holidays but they barely seem to matter these days, most sites around here are still active.

Probably still possible to lose a lot of time on these lights if you hit them at the wrong times; but 4 minutes delay on the way North and 3 on the way South (plus the drive through being significantly slower of course) is a huge improvement over Easter. Six weeks should see the bulk of it on the new alignment I'd say.

Another update today on the Glenties section of the roadworks. Approximately another 1km has moved over onto the new road from the cycle path.

Still 3 lights left but the longest of the 3 lights has been massively shortened at the bridge.

My six-weekly or so query for updates on delays has come around again - how long is a bad day currently?

Currently, it is still 3 traffic lights left. Longest you are likely to be stopped is 3 minutes at any of the lights.

Work has started again on the bridge just outside Glenties (hopefully it shouldn't take too long). The remaining offline sections will be due for surfacing shortly.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,162 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

When is this section due to finish up? It's going to look very different when I'm next up, be great if it was finished by then

• Advertisement

Sometime later this year I would imagine. Someone with a better knowledge of roadworks than me will be best to answer that. Halloween will see things very well on.

Oh that's excellent stuff. I was last up at Easter so it'll be a big change now this time, and i wont be up till Christmas. Be a fine road when it's done.

The last remaining large section of the Glenties part of the roadworks opened up last Friday.

There are 2 temporary traffic lights remaining (1 at the bridge and 1 at the other end where the road merges with the current road near Maas.

Both of these sections are well on though.

Finally, there will need to be a final surface, lining, tidying up etc.

Why is the article (which is very informative) saying the scheme is nearly done when Letterilly to Kilraine Phase 2 still hasn't started.

Because most people forget that it was even part of the project, I guess. "Dungloe to Glenties" does not include Glenties to a turnoff in the middle of nowhere unless you know that was the plan!

How is Letterilly to Kilraine Phase 1 getting along? Started in 2021-Q1, due to finish this year.

That is what Edwin has been providing updates on above, I'll be able to give a further update tomorrow but I doubt its changed much in 8 days.

No change to the road status to report, as expected.

What I did like seeing was an auld lad with a stick out walking with his dog on the old road / now off-road footpath/cycle track. Probably hasn't been safe for him to go for a walk around there for decades!

• Advertisement

Drove this today the whole way to Dungloe, what a pleasure to drive. Would normally only go as far as Nairn turnoff, so last time I'd gone whole way the section closer to dungloe had barely started. Wife had never copped it and was surprised at how fast we got up.

Advertisement