Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integral mSATA SSD 512GB €45 / 1TB €100

Options
  • 26-01-2020 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Both available from Jan 27th.

512GB from Amazon.de - €37.28 + €7.51 = €44.79 Uk deals
    1TB from Amazon.co.uk - £84.43 approx €100 UKDeals

These seem to be mSATA drives despite saying M.2 info in listings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Tempting but the bottleneck there is significant. Probably use it as a games drive but not an OS drive. Actually I might have a spare MSata slot on an adapter card. If it won't hurt bandwidth for my 860 it could be a good buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Just so people are aware, mSata is a completely obsolete standard, you wouldn't use these in a modern laptop/desktop. You can get significantly faster M2 SSD's for the same price that will work with modern machines, or standard and faster 2.5" SSD's for less.

Might be an OK price if you have an old device that uses mSata.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭Doodee

Homelander wrote: »
    Just so people are aware, mSata is a completely obsolete standard, you wouldn't use these in a modern laptop/desktop. You can get significantly faster M2 SSD's for the same price that will work with modern machines, or standard and faster 2.5" SSD's for less.

Can you link to a faster drive for the same price? I can only find 256GB m2 or NVMe drives for €36.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭doctorg

any good to use as an external SSD ?

doctorg wrote: »
    any good to use as an external SSD ?

You'll do 550MB/s, or 1GB every 2s. A 5GB movie? 10s. Plenty fast for that kinda setup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Just so people are aware, mSata is a completely obsolete standard, ......

This got me wondering if it might be well matched to a completely obsolete :p HP 6550b laptop.

It has an external eSATA port ( https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c02221419 ).

Cant for the life of me find anything that lets on what disk ports are inside it.
    Any guide as to what to look for if I open it up ?

I looked, no dice.

Which makes sense, the mSata standard was only ratified when that was being designed. Its a decade old, you got a good run. Please let it rest now.

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

0lddog wrote: »
    This got me wondering if it might be well matched to a completely obsolete :p HP 6550b laptop.

It has an external eSATA port ( https://support.hp.com/ie-en/document/c02221419 ).

Cant for the life of me find anything that lets on what disk ports are inside it.
    Any guide as to what to look for if I open it up ?

Service manual with teardown for it and three other models:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c03471180

@Styron, thats a great find. Thank you for going to the trouble of hunting it down.

@Styron, thats a great find. Thank you for going to the trouble of hunting it down.

Olddog, you've probably seen it already, but unfortunately looks like the 6560b WWAN slot is not mSATA capable:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/mSata-SSD-Crucial-M500-240GB-to-ProBook-6560b/td-p/3013411

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Archive-Read-Only/Upgrading-my-Probook-with-mSATA-SSD/td-p/5369857

• Advertisement

Also, if I understand correctly the optical drive would have to be given up. Wouldnt want to do that as the main virtue of the machine is that it can cope with so many different input & output forms. ( tho, frustratingly, as far as I can see there is no driver for the SD card slot under Win 7 :mad: )

Also, if I understand correctly the optical drive would have to be given up. Wouldnt want to do that as the main virtue of the machine is that it can cope with so many different input & output forms. ( tho, frustratingly, as far as I can see there is no driver for the SD card slot under Win 7 :mad: )

Best bet to go the conventional route of changing the original mechanical HD for an SSD and using a 2nd Hard drive caddy for the old drive as on board storage in place of the optical drive (12.7 mm in your HP). You can easily swap between old HD caddy and the optical drive with the system powered off - all the easier if the HP is fairly stationary and you don't need to use the drive retaining screw (eg's. 1/3 price from China 5-6 week wait or quicker by multiple Amazon options)

With the caddy you can clone old OS to a same size or larger SSD in the caddy and then switch them over.

The built in Ricoh card reader has a Win 7 driver under Driver-Storage(5)

styron wrote: »
    The built in Ricoh card reader has a Win 7 driver under Driver-Storage(5)

Thanks again styron, that is a new to me and very useful link :). ( beats me how I didnt manage to come across it during years poking around HPs support sites ). I'll park HDD / SSD upgrade for the time being.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

You can get significantly faster M2 SSD's for the same price

How can you tell an M2.SSD ?
    Most of the one's I looked at don't mention it at all!

Thanks

Jay

Jay Dee wrote: »
    You can get significantly faster M2 SSD's for the same price

How can you tell an M2.SSD ?
    Most of the one's I looked at don't mention it at all!

Thanks

Jay

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058044626

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭go4it

Although i bought it on the day the bargain alert came up, and showed that will be delivered by 4th February, now shows there's a longer delivery window : 11 march -11 april .
    probably way too many orders compared to stock, so they just hope most of the buyers will cancel the order

Advertisement