Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

Memphis Depay had a testing childhood. Born in the small southern Dutch village of Moordrecht his Ghanaian father and Dutch mother split up when he was four. Football filled the void of growing up in a “small village where there’s not much to do”, according to one of his childhood friends Gigi. Memphis dropped ‘Depay’ as his shirt name to just ‘Memphis’ - an attack on his father who has been absent during his life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

In a world where we respect the decision of a guy called Bruce to wear a dress and call 'herself' Caitlyn I would think it's a perfectly acceptable request to be called by your first name.

I can understand if it was a nickname like Chicarito (which i never liked anyway) but its his first name. Bit stupid for sky to ignore a genuine request if true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭MythicalMadMan

TheDoc wrote: »
    ah for **** sake

TBF I doubt we would have seen him at the club without the LVG factor but it'll be annoying ig it happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

GSPfan wrote: »
    In a world where we respect the decision of a guy called Bruce to wear a dress and call 'herself' Caitlyn I would think it's a perfectly acceptable request to be called by your first name.

I can understand if it was a nickname like Chicarito (which i never liked anyway) but its his first name. Bit stupid for sky to ignore a genuine request if true.

Imagine a moment at the end of the season where he scores a goal that Tyler has to scream his name ala "Aaaagggggggguuuuuuuerrrrrrroooo" a few years back.

Which sounds better?

"MMmmmeeeeemmmmmpppphissss"

or

"Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy"??

No2 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Messi signing for Utd... this place would go in to Melt down :p

We'd still need a centre back...meh summer window, yo!!!!!
    ðŸ˜

• Advertisement

Jayop wrote: »
    Imagine a moment at the end of the season where he scores a goal that Tyler has to scream his name ala "Aaaagggggggguuuuuuuerrrrrrroooo" a few years back.

Which sounds better?

"MMmmmeeeeemmmmmpppphissss"

or

"Deeeeeeeeeeeeeeepppppaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyy"??

No2 for me.

Ha.

Each one would be as irritating as each other. That Aguero screech is up there with the Gerrard warble he done years before. Id rather Memphis just so he can't scream Depay!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

ericzeking wrote: »
    ðŸ˜

So true ;)
    We could sign Ronaldo Messi and Suarez on free transfers and no wages and some people would still complain

Ha.

Each one would be as irritating as each other. That Aguero screech is up there with the Gerrard warble he done years before. Id rather Memphis just so he can't scream Depay!

Nah man. The reason we remember the Gerrard and Aguero ones so much is because they hurt. I'd fricking love the same thing to happen this year with Depay's name being screamed so the oppo fans have to listen to it on repeat on Sky every time there's a game on.

ericzeking wrote: »
    ðŸ˜

Who do u think we should sign? Doesnt seem much available upgrade quality available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I think we need to keep Depay grounded and not let his ego grow too quickly

Don't give him the number 7 straight away, let him earn it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I think we need to keep Depay grounded and not let his ego grow too quickly

Don't give him the number 7 straight away, let him earn it

Like we did with Ronaldo......:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Martin Tyler saying on Sky sports news, the commentators have been asked to call him Memphis by the club but they aren't going to.

But he has no problem calling these players by their first/nick names:

Neymar da Silva Santos Júnior (Neymar)
    Frederico Chaves Guedes (Fred)
    Givanildo Vieira de Souza (Hulk)
    Cristiano Ronaldo dos Santos Aveiro (Ronaldo)
    Képler Laveran Lima Ferreira (Pepe)
    Marcos Evangelista de Morais (Cafu)
    Oscar dos Santos Emboaba Júnior (Oscar)
    Willian Borges da Silva (Willian)
    Ronaldo de Assis Moreira (Ronaldinho)

and the most famous one of all Edson Arantes do Nascimento.

I'm genuinely excited to see United play in the Adidas kit. How sad am I.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,272 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

FatherTed wrote: »

I can't see him not calling Memphis, Memphis. He is going to have it on his kit and I imagine he will be called memphis on the teamsheet. would be simply ignorant disrespectful to call him Depay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Who do u think we should sign? Doesnt seem much available upgrade quality available.

That one flew over your head man!

I reckon Jones, Smalling et al will excel this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    Sky have different prices than that list, they have Swein at like 14.4 and janko out for 200k

Not sure which to trust

You would trust Sky over Me???
    SNN1603FT_437339a.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

You just know the season is really close now when Jamie "top top player" made his first appearance of the pre season on SSN

I can't see him not calling Memphis, Memphis. He is going to have it on his kit and I imagine he will be called memphis on the teamsheet. would be simply ignorant disrespectful to call him Depay.

TBH I know nothing about him but but he said to Haley we had trouble with ur club before (talking about chicirito) and the commentators had a little meeting and they decided on Depay. I think the same as yourself.

And if they do I hope the first time sky give him a mom award he doesnt come out for the interview.

I'm genuinely excited to see United play in the Adidas kit. How sad am I.

The same as the rest of us dude.

TBH I know nothing about him but but he said to Haley we had trouble with ur club before (talking about chicirito) and the commentators had a little meeting and they decided on Depay. I think the same as yourself.

And if they do I hope the first time sky give him a mom award he doesnt come out for the interview.

Saturday so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Hernandez \ chicarito

Sky commentators called him Hernandez

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

FatherTed wrote: »

That's probably because he can only actually pronounce the ones they've chosen and if he doesn't like his name Depay, why not just change it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Nah man. The reason we remember the Gerrard and Aguero ones so much is because they hurt. I'd fricking love the same thing to happen this year with Depay's name being screamed so the oppo fans have to listen to it on repeat on Sky every time there's a game on.
    And Memphis is surely overjoyed as he hears a name that is not what he is called repeatedly played.

Respectful of the lads basic wishes. Sure he'll be overjoyed at that.

JamboMac wrote: »
    That's probably because he can only actually pronounce the ones they've chosen and if he doesn't like his name Depay, why not just change it?

Why should he have to change it? Can people really not just use his first name? Is this really such a struggle to manage to say "Memphis"?
    He shouldnt have to change his name people should just have respect for his wishes.

For anyone going on Saturday....

Carling ✔@carling
    It's all change at #MUFC but don't worry, the #CarlingShirtAmnesty will swap your old shirt for a FREE new one! https://cards.twitter.com/cards/moypr1/soyo
    5:00 AM - 6 Aug 2015
    The #CarlingShirtAmnesty is coming to Picadilly Gardens on Saturday.
    What this means is that if you have an adult United shirt from the last 3 seasons with the name of a player on the back who has now left, they will take it from you and give you a brand new one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

For anyone going on Saturday....

The #CarlingShirtAmnesty is coming to Picadilly Gardens on Saturday.
    What this means is that if you have an adult United shirt from the last 3 seasons with the name of a player on the back who has now left, they will take it from you and give you a brand new one!

My last three jerseys.

RVP, Kagawa, Berbatov :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

TheDoc wrote: »
    My last three jerseys.

RVP, Kagawa, Berbatov :'(

Time to buy your next one with Evans on the back of it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭JamboMac

Why should he have to change it? Can people really not just use his first name? Is this really such a struggle to manage to say "Memphis"?
    He shouldnt have to change his name people should just have respect for his wishes.

Simply if it does irritate as reference to his father, when he goes to buy a house he'll referred to as Mr Depay not Mr Memphis.

If he signs contracts I'm sure he signs Memphis Depay, so if the Depay reference is so devastating to him change it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Saw this posted on Reddit - a classy run from Pedro vs. Fiorentina in a pre-season game last week: https://streamable.com/g78e

If Pedro comes in and De Gea stays, it has to be classed as a good window despite how much we need a CB and (to a lesser extent if Pedro happens) another striker.

• Advertisement

JamboMac wrote: »
    Simply if it does irritate as reference to his father, when he goes to buy a house he'll referred to as Mr Depay not Mr Memphis.

If he signs contracts I'm sure he signs Memphis Depay, so if the Depay reference is so devastating to him change it.

well I doubt he signs a contract multiple times during a 9 month period.

How many times do you hear a footballers surname during a season? He might have to use his birthname when he is doing official documents but I'd imagine hearing Depay shoots/scores/passes/comes on/comes off/is injured 500+ times during a season would be annoying. And disrespectful, But I guess that answers my question. Memphis clearly is too hard for some.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement