Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Republic of Ireland Team Talk/News/Rumours 2017

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

What a fitting way to end the last thread :pac: with a photo of Stephen Ireland enjoying some wine, shisha pipe and xmas songs! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

More young talents to break through this season please. Should be interesting to track the progress of Jack Byrne in the Eredivisie, Tommie Hoban at Watford and Reece Randall Grego-Cox at QPR.

James McCarthy getting heavily linked with Spurs, a stark contrast to his Ireland form where even the much maligned Whelan has outshone him.

Pleased to see Robbie Brady back in the PL.

Bournemouth haven't bought central midfielders this summer. Hopefully Harry Arter and Eunan O'Kane play regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

MON OUT !!!! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

MON in !

one+team+in+ireland.+martin+and+roy.png

fr.-ted-mass.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is Given going to be Stoke's no 1 or will it be Butland? It reminds me of a few years back when everyone wondered whether Mancini would start the season with Hart or Given in goal. We all know how that turned out.

Also, how is Ian Lawlor getting on at Man City? I'd love to see a young, talented keeper come through and make it big.

Is Given going to be Stoke's no 1 or will it be Butland? It reminds me of a few years back when everyone wondered whether Mancini would start the season with Hart or Given in goal.

What sort of message would it send to Butland to bring in a 39-year-old reserve keeper, from a team from further down the league ?

Though we have had a very similar discussion before after Forde was dropped for Given, so these things can happen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Is Given going to be Stoke's no 1 or will it be Butland? It reminds me of a few years back when everyone wondered whether Mancini would start the season with Hart or Given in goal. We all know how that turned out.

Also, how is Ian Lawlor getting on at Man City? I'd love to see a young, talented keeper come through and make it big.

Hughes has confirmed that Butland will be number 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

We won't even beat Georgia next month.

Without doubt it should be Butland. I'm pretty sure Hughes confirmed it and rightfully so. Butland is a top drawer keeper and Given will only really see cup games unless Butland crumbles completely and loses his place.

Pity Given didn't go somewhere for first team football but I suppose if it was where he wanted to go.

I don't see how we can keep picking him and starting him with it looking like he's going back to sitting on the bench for a lengthy time. Great player for us no changing that but seems a little sentimental picking him now.

The goalkeeper spot is a little worrying with lack of players playing in the top leagues. Look at our options: (just some I have picked, obviously a few more out there, let me know if any big name is forgotten)

Westwood- Sheffield Wednesday
    Randolph- West Ham (Back Up)
    Given- Stoke (Back Up)
    Forde- Millwall (League One)
    Gilmartin- Watford (Back Up)
    Henderson- Charlton
    Rob Elliot- Newcastle (Back Up)
    Colin Doyle- Blackpool (League One, likely starter but just moved)
    Meara- Loaned to New York City (Back Up)
    McDermott- Start (Norwegian Premier League, Back Up)

Then we have a large spread of others who are playing with lower teams or loaned around a lot.

It's really worrying at the lack of confirmed starters for options (in bold). We really need a keeper playing regularly and against top quality to have a good chance to compete. That coupled with the fact that we don't have a prolific goalscorer to replace Keane it's no wonder we are struggling.

EDIT: Only saw Lawlor part now, from what I hear he is doing well but is still playing for their youth teams (he's only 20 still I think,maybe 21) I reckon it will be a while until we see him playing professional regularly, he'll need some loan experience with other teams but I don't think that will beuntil next season or later.

• Advertisement

Despite the above concerns, MON still likes to select 5 goalkeepers in squads he names.
    Just to be on the safe side, ya know

We won't even beat Georgia next month.

I'd say we'll get the win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

James McCarthy signs new 5 year contract at Everton

Started

Goalkeepers
    -

Defenders
    Ciaran Clark (Aston Villa)
    Damien Delaney (Crystal Palace) (GOAL)
    Seamus Coleman (Everton)
    Robbie Brady (Norwich)

Midfielders
    James McCarthy (Everton)
    Wes Hoolahan (Norwich) (ASSIST)
    Jon Walters (Stoke)
    Glenn Whelan (Stoke)
    James McClean (West Brom) OFF HT

Forwards
    -

Subs
    Eunan O’Kane (Bournemouth) ON 84’
    Shane Long (Southampton) ON 66’ (GOAL)
    Shay Given (Stoke)
    Stephen Ireland (Stoke)
    John O'Shea (Sunderland)
    Rene Gilmartin (Watford)
    Darren Randolph (West Ham)

Others

Injured
    Jack Grealish (Aston Villa)
    Harry Arter (Bournemouth)
    Darron Gibson (Everton)
    Aiden McGeady (Everton)
    Marc Wilson (Stoke)
    Joey O'Brien (West Ham)

Suspended
    -

Not selected in matchday squad
    Paddy McCarthy (Crystal Palace)
    Rob Elliot (Newcastle)
    Tommie Hoban (Watford)
    Connor Smith (Watford)

On loan
    Sean Murray (Watford) 1 month to Wigan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Was Brady signed to be a left-back for Norwich? Any idea if that's where he'll be playing for most of the season?

Aenaes wrote: »
    Was Brady signed to be a left-back for Norwich? Any idea if that's where he'll be playing for most of the season?

Could be wrong but I'm fairly certain he was playing in a more traditional left back role last weekend due to injuries. I'd hope and kind of expect him to be played LM for them, unless they switch to a similar formation as Hull last season with 3 CB so brady has more freedom as more of a wing back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,902 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

What has to happen for us to qualify for Euro 2016 ??. I can see Scotland beating Germany or Poland and Georgia taking points off us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

We need to win in Poland. If that happens and we win games as expected v Gergia & Gibraltar then we have a free shot at Germany in my opinion as we should be guaranteed play off spot.
    Chances of winning in Poland? About 10% I'd say. I've been following Ireland away since 1988 and I've yet to see us win an away qualifier against group rivals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭Lamper.sffc

Nunu wrote: »
    We need to win in Poland. If that happens and we win games as expected v Gergia & Gibraltar then we have a free shot at Germany in my opinion as we should be guaranteed play off spot.
    Chances of winning in Poland? About 10% I'd say. I've been following Ireland away since 1988 and I've yet to see us win an away qualifier against group rivals.

And we should have actually done it against Poland in 91. 3-1 up and cruising until :(

Started

Goalkeepers
    -

Defenders
    Ciaran Clark (Aston Villa)
    Damien Delaney (Crystal Palace) (OG)
    Seamus Coleman (Everton) (ASSIST)
    Robbie Brady (Norwich)

Midfielders
    Eunan O’Kane (Bournemouth) OFF 87'
    James McCarthy (Everton)
    Wes Hoolahan (Norwich) (2 ASSISTS) OFF 62'
    Jon Walters (Stoke) OFF 59'
    Glenn Whelan (Stoke)

Forwards
    Shane Long (Southampton) OFF 72'

Subs
    Shay Given (Stoke)
    Stephen Ireland (Stoke) (ASSIST) ON 59'
    John O'Shea (Sunderland)
    Rene Gilmartin (Watford)
    James McClean (West Brom) ON 69'
    Darren Randolph (West Ham)

Others

Injured
    Jack Grealish (Aston Villa)
    Harry Arter (Bournemouth)
    Darron Gibson (Everton)
    Aiden McGeady (Everton)
    Marc Wilson (Stoke)
    Joey O'Brien (West Ham)

Suspended
    -

Not selected in matchday squad
    Paddy McCarthy (Crystal Palace)
    Rob Elliot (Newcastle)
    Tommie Hoban (Watford)
    Connor Smith (Watford)

On loan
    Sean Murray (Watford) 1 month to Wigan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Ciaran Clark, Hoolahan and Long need to be starting for us

I'm guessing Randolph will get some game time unless West Ham appeal Adrian's red card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Will Grealish be asked to be apart of the squad?

sugarman wrote: »
    Should do, but I read they're trying to sign rob green from QPR.

Can't see them letting Green go after letting McCarthy go to Palace - but stranger things have happened...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

sugarman wrote: »
    Squad is named tomorrow for the upcoming double header

Media surprisingly quite on Grealish:pac:

What time do you know?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Trilla wrote: »
    What time do you know?

It's meant to be 3pm.

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Will Grealish be asked to be apart of the squad?

I'm interested in this.
    Also very interested to see if Andy Reid and Stephen Ireland will be included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

http://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2015/0818/722085-eunan-okane/

No JG. O'Kane called into provisional squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

MON On Grealish " Jack is going to decide very shortly what he wants to do. It is a big decision for him to make"

• Advertisement

Would have liked to see Carruthers and Kavanagh included

Republic of Ireland squad:

Goalkeepers: David Forde, Shay Given, Keiren Westwood, Darren Randolph, Rob Elliot

Defenders: Richard Keogh, Marc Wilson, Seamus Coleman, Cyrus Christie, John O’Shea, Alex Pearce, Ciaran Clark, Paul McShane, James McCarthy, Stephen Ward, Greg Cunningham.

Midfielders: Jeff Hendrick, Harry Arter, Glenn Whelan, Eunan O’Kane, Aiden McGeady, James McClean, Alan Judge, Robbie Brady, Anthony Pilkington, Stephen Quinn, David Meyler, Wes Hoolahan.

Strikers: Robbie Keane, Shane Long, Daryl Murphy, Jon Walters, Kevin Doyle, Anthony Stokes, David McGoldrick, Adam Rooney, Simon Cox.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,841 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Jesus that seems like an awfully poor squad.

I'm not saying I think there's better players that could be picked mind you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

callaway92 wrote: »
    Jesus that seems like an awfully poor squad.

I'm not saying I think there's better players that could be picked mind you.

Erm, Who were you expecting .... ........... ...

listermint wrote: »
    Erm, Who were you expecting .... ........... ...

Did you read my second line or what? It pretty much says there's nobody better.

It's just a shít player pool in general

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

There's no great depth there but a decent team can be fielded from it.

Coleman looked good at the weekend, hopefully Everton can do alot better than last season. You should think O'Shea should be starting for Sunderland again soon.

I heard O'Neill said he included Cunningham because the left-back position isn't nailed down yet or something to that effect. If Brady continues to play there for Norwich perhaps it might be best to keep him there for Ireland and let McClean have the left wing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

That is a desperately poor squad. Plenty of players with big hearts but just not enough quality to worry any decent opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Meglamonia wrote: »
    MON On Grealish " Jack is going to decide very shortly what he wants to do. It is a big decision for him to make"
    I know it's not going to happen because lazy journos love dragging up old stories but I wish they'd stop asking about Grealish. Let the lad make his mind up on his own and stop wasting MON's time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

I like our squad. Plenty of technically gifted players in midfield, some good CBs, decent keepers, a good RB and one deadly goal poacher. Some spots lack depth in quality (striker and LB), but others are stocked (midfield). Most people just judge players by what teams they play for, but if you get over that and look at the players' actual quality then things are not too bad at all. If only we could get a manager of suitable quality to match the players we have we'd be sorted.

I don't think we've good cbs, lbs, sms or strikers tbh

An average squad, v average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pro. F wrote: »
    I like our squad. Plenty of technically gifted players in midfield, some good CBs, decent keepers, a good RB and one deadly goal poacher. Some spots lack depth in quality (striker and LB), but others are stocked (midfield). Most people just judge players by what teams they play for, but if you get over that and look at the players' actual quality then things are not too bad at all. If only we could get a manager of suitable quality to match the players we have we'd be sorted.

I think the quality of our centre backs have worryingly receded in recent times, at international level it shows up even more. I'm far from O'Neill's biggest fan, extremely far being a Villa supporter, however in quite a few matches he's put out a very similar team as to what I would have personally picked from those available and they haven't performed at all. I don't think we have that many technically gifted midfielders either, McCarthy and Hoolahan come to mind first, but I don't think you could use technically gifted to describe many of the others.

• Advertisement

It's not a great squad...but there's a fair few countries doing a lot better than us right now that would be envious of that squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

callaway92 wrote: »
    Did you read my second line or what? It pretty much says there's nobody better.

It's just a shít player pool in general

i read it, it just felt like a post for the sake of a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Corholio wrote: »
    I think the quality of our centre backs have worryingly receded in recent times, at international level it shows up even more. I'm far from O'Neill's biggest fan, extremely far being a Villa supporter, however in quite a few matches he's put out a very similar team as to what I would have personally picked from those available and they haven't performed at all. I don't think we have that many technically gifted midfielders either, McCarthy and Hoolahan come to mind first, but I don't think you could use technically gifted to describe many of the others.

I was thinking of McCarthy, Hoolahan, Hendrick and Meyler in particular. All suited to the task if you want to try passing the ball. And then for winger types Brady, McGeady, Pilkington and McClean offer a nice mix. Quinn is also a good attacking grafter not to be sniffed at. And then in the back four we can call on Wilson and Coleman, both very good on the ball.

listermint wrote: »
    i read it, it just felt like a post for the sake of a post.

At least 3 people have echoed it since I wrote it.

What's your point?

Aenaes wrote: »
    There's no great depth there but a decent team can be fielded from it.

Coleman looked good at the weekend, hopefully Everton can do alot better than last season. You should think O'Shea should be starting for Sunderland again soon.

I heard O'Neill said he included Cunningham because the left-back position isn't nailed down yet or something to that effect. If Brady continues to play there for Norwich perhaps it might be best to keep him there for Ireland and let McClean have the left wing.

After the performances of Coates and Kaboul over the last two games O'Shea will feel rightly aggrieved if he doesn't get back in - unless he has been worse than them in training of course, in which case we should worry

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Lemmy Scott

nah its crap

nah its crap
    msty.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

S. Ireland performed well last weekend, MON should maybe try to get him back for this campaign at least.

Damien Delaney:

"I just want to clarify my position with regards to the Ireland national team and my omission from the current squad," Delaney wrote on Instagram. "I have no issue with Roy Keane and shook his hand this summer at a Cork City European match.
    "I know that at the age of 34 the future of Irish football does not lie with me, the rigours of Premier League football and the 24/7 dedication required takes its toll so I look on the international break as a chance to recover. That said I spoke to Martin O Neill and contrary to his recent comments I never asked for a regular starting position.
    "I did however disagree with certain aspects which out of respect to Martin and the national team will remain private."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Sounds like Delaney really doesn't rate MON but hard to disagree with what he says. We need to look at the whole of Irish soccer all the way up and think ahead instead of worrying about the next couple of tournaments

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement