Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: League of Ireland Fixtures (Week 22) & League Cup Semi-Final (31 July-3 Aug)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

There are cup games on Monday, not sure which cup.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Really should be looking to beef up the goal difference against Cabinteely. They couldn't handle Swan in the home game. Hopefully the surface in Stradbrook has improved since April.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Hoping we can get a few players back from injury, Cork will ease past us if we play like the 2nd half against Derry.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

3rd against 2nd

Should be a good attendance in Tolka Park for this game

Shels goal difference is poor but still a win will put them joint second

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Any chance Duffer will make his debut for Shams?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Really should be looking to beef up the goal difference against Cabinteely. They couldn't handle Swan in the home game. Hopefully the surface in Stradbrook has improved since April.
    They're hardly on their own there. The surface at Stradbrook is 10x better - it's actually pretty good now.
    NufcNavan wrote: »
    Any chance Duffer will make his debut for Shams?
    Targeting the league game in Tallaght the following week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Huge game for the Reds on Friday night. Ridiculous to say as it's only our 20th game, but if we lose, there'll only be eight games left to reign in a 6 point deficit on the Youths. A win, and we're right into the mix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Heading to Turner's Cross for the first time this weekend. Any advice on where to head for a few pints after? Staying over and making a night of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Not being smart, but Bohs fans generally are not welcome in any of the local pubs guiven some of the antics in times gone by.

Just head in to town. Somewhere like the Brog or Crane Lane should see ye right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Omackeral wrote: »
    Heading to Turner's Cross for the first time this weekend. Any advice on where to head for a few pints after? Staying over and making a night of it.

stay in gimmick's gaf, he does a savage fry for breakfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

gimmick wrote: »
    Not being smart, but Bohs fans generally are not welcome in any of the local pubs guiven some of the antics in times gone by.

Just head in to town. Somewhere like the Brog or Crane Lane should see ye right.

Do away fans usually get kept back long in turners cross?

5/10 minutes usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

5/10 minutes usually.

Grand, nice one. Just trying to see how tight it would be to get to the bus station for 11, cheers!

They're hardly on their own there. The surface at Stradbrook is 10x better - it's actually pretty good now.
    He had a particularly good return last time we played. 4 goals with a 5 minute hattrick for good measure.
    Good to hear about Stradbrook. It was impossible to play on the ground last time as the ball just constantly bobbled.

Going with my missus and won't be wearing colours so they'll be nonethewiser. Having said that, have been in Cork before and have gotten the cold shoulder from door staff when I opened my mouth. Might try sign language :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Going with my missus and won't be wearing colours so they'll be nonethewiser. Having said that, have been in Cork before and have gotten the cold shoulder from door staff when I opened my mouth. Might try sign language :p
    Just listen to Brad Pitt's character in Snatch and you'll have the Cork accent mastered in no time.

If thats the case you will be grand. The Horseshoe has reopened under new ownership this week. Thats right outside the ground. Or plenty people enjoy the beergarden. Personally hate the place mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

If thats the case you will be grand. The Horseshoe has reopened under new ownership this week. Thats right outside the ground. Or plenty people enjoy the beergarden. Personally hate the place mind you.

Got a good kicking in there many years ago. Literally kicked out the door (not Cork fans just general scumbags). Good times.

Which? Horseshoe or Beergarden?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Horseshoe is open again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Which? Horseshoe or Beergarden?

Horseshoe. Had been having good craic with the Cork fans until they left to go to the game leaving behind the local knuckledraggers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

dan1895 wrote: »
    Horseshoe. Had been having good craic with the Cork fans until they left to go to the game leaving behind the local knuckledraggers.

Kip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

The last few seasons Bohs fans have been drinking in the bar part of the Horseshoe with a large Garda presence controlling who goes in and out, I think they realise keeping them out of every pub in Turners Cross is not a good idea.

Can't hear any of the pre match on Setanta over the stadium announcer :pac:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Goals in the Brandywell, actual goals...

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

That first Cork goal has some serious skill to it. I'm always hearing they play crap football but they showed some good feet for that one. Not too shabby at all.

Wasnt a great performance by Pats but last 7 league games are WWWWWWW, Oji played well for Galway and Snow Patrol ****ed up for their goal.

red card was a red Winn was just caught out. Lee Desmond is lethal and Ian Morris is my new hero :D

Yikes, spanked by Cork and can't say it wasn't deserved. We've had a result like that coming with our recent defensive performances. That's the problem with a small squad, injuries and suspensions meant we were struggling to play a decent back 4. Some important players due back next week so hopefully we can bounce back.

At this point we can probably focus on the cup. Way behind 4th assuming Pats and Rovers put their games in hand away and way ahead of 6th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Couldn't believe how quiet the Pat's crowd were. Did they even sing once?

Conan Byrne dived for the penalty but Winn made a balls of things before that. The game was over after the red card.

We're back in the relegation battle big time now. It's hard to see us beating Dundalk on Monday.

• Advertisement

Poisonous from Bohs at the Cross. Ripped apart. City looked like they were having a training match out there.

Perfect day for us. Win our two games in hand over Finn Harps and we'll be top (assuming we win the others of course).
    Not as big a win as I'd hoped but we dominated pretty much from start to finish. Bit of a nervy moment towards the end at 2-1 when their forward went clean through despite being a good 3 yards offside only for him to trip himself up when one on one with Corbett.
    Waterford next week. Youths have Harps and Shels a tough away game against Cobh.

Conan Byrne dived for the penalty but Winn made a balls of things before that. The game was over after the red card.

He didnt have to dive, he blocked a clearance and it was going to fall to him with your keeper behind him.

Winn ****ed up twice there and he made some decent save 1st half.

I'm not sure where Duff/Fahey/McPhail gets back into the team at the moment. Cregg and McCabe are excellent recently. If it's down to McPhail or Cregg, Cregg wins every time for me.

Miele is in outstanding form, Waters has been very important this season creating/scoring goals. And in big games, Ryan Brennan is the default option for Fenlon in away games or big home games behind Drennan/North whether some Rovers fans like it or not...

Not a bad headache in fairness..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

dfx- wrote: »
    I'm not sure where Duff/Fahey/McPhail gets back into the team at the moment. Cregg and McCabe are excellent recently. If it's down to McPhail or Cregg, Cregg wins every time for me.

Miele is in outstanding form, Waters has been very important this season creating/scoring goals. And in big games, Ryan Brennan is the default option for Fenlon in away games or big home games behind Drennan/North whether some Rovers fans like it or not...

I'd say the biggest headache is the fact your fighting for 3rd place with all them "great" players ,:)

Leaving in the likes of the Brennans over better ball players could backfire sooner or later and with the other top three teams on good runs, it could be costly. They offer solidity but you end up riding it out at the game as teams don't get finished off.

McCabe and Miele are in great form and two of the best players in the league at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Couldn't believe how quiet the Pat's crowd were. Did they even sing once?

We're back in the relegation battle big time now. It's hard to see us beating Dundalk on Monday.

It was extremely quiet in fairness, very noticable. I don't know what the story was.

In terms of Conan diving, Wymn pushed him. Wynn messed up and pushed him and you really can't have complaints about the peno.

In fact, we should have had another penalty for a blatant push.

If it's down to pure form, they shouldn't need to. As a Pat's fan, i didn't really care that Fahey went to your lot. He's finished, he genuinely is. He's not the player he was, injury has dictated that, and he's reduced to Hollywood passes that go out for throws.

You'll also never see him play at Oriel Park.

monkey9 wrote: »
    As a Pat's fan, i didn't really care that Fahey went to your lot. He's finished, he genuinely is. He's not the player he was, injury has dictated that, and he's reduced to Hollywood passes that go out for throws.

You'll also never see him play at Oriel Park.
    Ha ha. Classic case of hurting words from a scorned lover. Al you Pat's fans were telling us how brilliant he was in the second half of last season and now that he's wearing a Rovers shirt he's apparently finished! Come on! I know it must hurt to see him wearing the green and white but there's no need to rewrite history.

To be fair, I'd take Mcphail any day over Fahey based on performances this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Performence of the season so far for Cork City last night, the first half in particular was football I havn't seen in Turners Cross since the highs of the mid 2000's. The passing and tempo was too much for Bohs, it was great to see Liam Miller finally being allowed to play the game he's good at, last night we finally saw what he is able to do.

The whole embarrassment of our European exit has changed everything it seems, and the Billy Dennehy situation could be one of the best things to happen to Cork City in a long while.

I still don't think we'll catch Dundalk but another second place finish and regroup for next year and we'll be laughing again.

Just a note on the other results last night, the gap between Dundalk, City, Rovers, Pats, and the rest of the league is way way bigger than I thought it would be.

• Advertisement

CHealy wrote: »
    Just a note on the other results last night, the gap between Dundalk, City, Rovers, Pats, and the rest of the league is way way bigger than I thought it would be.

Bohs are closer to 2nd than 6th in fairness :D

But yeah, the drop off in standard after the big hitters is truly awful.

anncoates wrote: »
    To be fair, I'd take Mcphail any day over Fahey based on performances this season.
    That may be but most Pats fans were delighted with how he finished the season with them last year and now the monkey's saying he didn't mind him leaving as he was finished anyway. Classic football fan mentality.

Anyway, wasn't at the game in Bray last night but by most accounts we seem to have been well worth our 1-0 win having hit the bar a couple of times and generally been in control for the majority of the game. Great to see Kilduff get off to a flying start. McMillan will be feeling the pressure now.

Was actually at the Drogs Rovers game which was decent enough. Rovers played well first half with Gavin Brennan and Michael Daly having a good battle down the left. Poor Mark Hughes made an absolute balls of his attempted pass back to the keeper which led to Shams goal. McCabe was very good. Ran rings around a couple of Drogs defenders at one point and every pass bar one ambitious attempted cross field ball in the second half was pinpoint.

However I thought Rovers were very poor in the second half with the two Brennans non existent for the most part (especially Gavin). They let Drogs back into the game and with Thornton driving the on they almost snatched a late equalizer. Judging by last night Fenlon still has plenty of work to do with the team.

Pighead wrote: »
    Ha ha. Classic case of hurting words from a scorned lover. Al you Pat's fans were telling us how brilliant he was in the second half of last season and now that he's wearing a Rovers shirt he's apparently finished! Come on! I know it must hurt to see him wearing the green and white but there's no need to rewrite history.

Not at all, he's finished. He really is.

Limerick might actually win a game :eek:

2 0 up on Sligo at half time.

Christ Sligo must be atrocious at the moment.

3-2 now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Never seen Liam Miller play better game then that last night. City were terrific at the Cross. Like poster above said the European exit might be blessing, once we get back into it, and if we play like we did last night for even 50% of the games its a banker.

Big result tonight for Galway/Drogheda/Bray/Longford. Bit of breathing space now to Sligo in the playoff place.

Sligo as bad as they may be won't lose the playoff
    anncoates wrote: »
    Leaving in the likes of the Brennans over better ball players could backfire sooner or later and with the other top three teams on good runs, it could be costly. They offer solidity but you end up riding it out at the game as teams don't get finished off.

Yeah, it may well cost points starting with Ryan Brennan and having to then chase the game. It will definitely bring a feeling of leaving the points behind. I suppose he's weighing up the balance in how many games will that solidity keep it close for long periods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,009 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Big result tonight for Galway/Drogheda/Bray/Longford. Bit of breathing space now to Sligo in the playoff place.

Sligo as bad as they may be won't lose the playoff

Yeah, it may well cost points starting with Ryan Brennan and having to then chase the game. It will definitely bring a feeling of leaving the points behind. I suppose he's weighing up the balance in how many games will that solidity keep it close for long periods.

...... and Derry. But long way to go yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Galway United have literally 11 fit and available senior players for tomorrow. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement