Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread Summer 2015

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Cech makes it look significantly better. Easily only second to Chelsea now in that department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Cech makes it look significantly better. Easily only second to Chelsea now in that department.
    Thiago Silva to replace Mert :D:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Thiago Silva to replace Mert :D:pac:

We would let in no more than 15 league goals :pac:

We would let in no more than 15 league goals :pac:

Cech
    Debuchy Silva Kosc Monreal
    Coq

Ramsey
    Ozil
    Walcott
    Sanchez
    Giroud

Even that look's great. Without a new DM or CF.

Stacked bench as well. Although CB isn't priority I would not be annoyed If we signed a world class player there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Cech
    Debuchy Silva Kosc Monreal
    Coq

Ramsey
    Ozil
    Walcott
    Sanchez
    Giroud

Even that look's great. Without a new DM or CF.

Stacked bench as well. Although CB isn't priority I would not be annoyed If we signed a world class player there.

We've two good young players in Gabriel and Chambers who are already looking for gametime, having 5 centre backs battling for two spots seems counter productive. I'd love to see Gabriel get a lot more gametime this season.

• Advertisement

domrush wrote: »
    We've two good young players in Gabriel and Chambers who are already looking for gametime, having 5 centre backs battling for two spots seems counter productive. I'd love to see Gabriel get a lot more gametime this season.

Two good young players who could easily go on loan to accommodate a world class experienced player which is what we need If we want to be the best. 5 CB's is not overkill at all, certainly not given our injury record. I'd much rather have too many than too little.

I'm not suggesting we should go sign a CB I'm just saying If there is a world class CB or any position available we should sign them.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Roaster

Two good young players who could easily go on loan to accommodate a world class experienced player which is what we need If we want to be the best. 5 CB's is not overkill at all, certainly not given our injury record. I'd much rather have too many than too little.

I'm not suggesting we should go sign a CB I'm just saying If there is a world class CB or any position available we should sign them.

Kos is our best CB by a mile but with his tendinitis there's no way he'll be playing every game. I expect to see plenty of rotation next season between the 3 CBs and you'll have Debuchy and Chambers as cover too. I can't see Wenger signing another CB.

Hopefully, we'll get Konogbia who looks fantastic and I really would like a proven world class striker too.

A world class CB on a free or coming to the end of his contract I'd agree, but not for anything over 20 million pounds. Paulista and Chambers cost about 25 million pounds and have less than 30 appearances between them. In the case of injury Debuchy and Monreal can cover, not to the same degree but enough to cover the unlikely few weeks in which we could have 3 injured CBs.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DeclanRe

Possibly already been mentioned here - but Man City interested in Jack.
    There are so many things i hate about this nonesense - its probably true City probably do want him, but in what world do they think we would let him go, why do they think they can just throw money at clubs and think they are going to sell? Its just an awful attitude to have. Do City have even one youth player coming through either.

On a lighter note - Cech coming in would be a fantastic start to the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Possibly already been mentioned here - but Man City interested in Jack.
    There are so many things i hate about this nonesense - its probably true City probably do want him, but in what world do they think we would let him go, why do they think they can just throw money at clubs and think they are going to sell? Its just an awful attitude to have. Do City have even one youth player coming through either.

On a lighter note - Cech coming in would be a fantastic start to the summer

I'd reckon City showing interest in Wilshere is also to get Pool to consider selling Sterling, not that City wouldnt be interested in Wilshere but its probably to put pressure on a Sterling bid.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I'd reckon City showing interest in Wilshere is also to get Pool to consider selling Sterling, not that City wouldnt be interested in Wilshere but its probably to put pressure on a Sterling bid.

40 million rejected!!!

City should just stop now. Let Liverpool keep him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

gosplan wrote: »
    40 million rejected!!!

City should just stop now. Let Liverpool keep him.

City are going to go more you just know it.

Cech to Arsenal would be amazing i'd be shocked if Mourinho allowed it

slingerz wrote: »

Apparently it's Abromavich letting it happen, as a gesture of goodwill to Cech.

slingerz wrote: »

Do they not need to shift a few players though before they can start throwing 40-50 million here and there. Like I assume Sterling is just the start. Apart from Milner, who is could leave? Na$ri maybe, possibly Jovetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Mr Blobby

DeclanRe wrote: »
    Do they not need to shift a few players though before they can start throwing 40-50 million here and there. Like I assume Sterling is just the start. Apart from Milner, who is could leave? Na$ri maybe, possibly Jovetic.

Yaya,Milner,Jovetic and maybe Fernando.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

UEFA are relaxing FFP so City, if they get the go will spend huge amounts this summer. Sterling is just the start IMO.

They'll end up paying probably 45m with add ons totaling a deal worth 50m.

Is Sterling worth it, f**k no but in this day of billion pound TV deals, and HG players getting a premium, City will be bent over a barrel on this one. I'd have taken Sterling at Chelsea for 30-35m max, the lad has serious potential but I think theres too many factors pushing his price sky high.

I'd actually like Chelsea to get involved in a bidding war to price him up so City end up paying more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I'd actually like Chelsea to get involved in a bidding war to price him up so City end up paying more.

That's just plain nasty. I love it!

Still nothing concrete on Cech. That's starting to worry me a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

UEFA are relaxing FFP so City, if they get the go will spend huge amounts this summer. Sterling is just the start IMO.

They'll end up paying probably 45m with add ons totaling a deal worth 50m.

Is Sterling worth it, f**k no but in this day of billion pound TV deals, and HG players getting a premium, City will be bent over a barrel on this one. I'd have taken Sterling at Chelsea for 30-35m max, the lad has serious potential but I think theres too many factors pushing his price sky high.

I thought I saw somewhere that the relaxation of the rules didn't apply to those that had already transgressed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

In what way are they relaxing the rules?

emmetlego wrote: »
    That's just plain nasty. I love it!

Still nothing concrete on Cech. That's starting to worry me a bit.

Jose is busy trying to convince Petr of the beauty of Paris or anywhere that isn't North London.

To be fair if I was in Jose's shoes, I'd be very disappointed if he ended up at Arsenal

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

greendom wrote: »

Looks like he's going with Chesney. Chesney better wise up now.

bad2dabone wrote: »
    Looks like he's going with Chesney. Chesney better wise up now.

Are people happy with possibly Chesney being kept and Ospina being let go?
    I think its 50/50 - Chesney has the ability to become better, but we've been saying that for years, and still waiting.
    Ospina came in and did a job for us, was pretty reliable apart from one or two instances. All in all a pretty solid first season.

Apart from Chesney been homegrown - i don't think he's a better option

• Registered Users Posts: 6,333 ✭✭✭bad2dabone

Szczesny has I higher potential I think but he's got to cop on now and learn what he can from Cech. This will either make him or he can forget about reaching the top level of goalkeeping

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,482 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I think Ospina is far better than Woj in my opinion, Woj has alot of the same qualities as Almunia capable of being the best keeper in the world some days and others wouldn't get on a sunday league team , where as Ospina is just solid not world class but not rubbish either

Cech wants his GK coach Lollichon to come with him and this is potentially what is causing the delay.

To add more grist to this mill Roberts looks like he's off to Swansea.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭emmetlego

greendom wrote: »
    Cech wants his GK coach Lollichon to come with him and this is potentially what is causing the delay.

Can I ask, where are you getting this info from?

Not doubting it, by the way, just want to look at it in detail myself...

Di Marzio saying Cech to Arsenal is close to completion. £7 million fee.

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/news-en/arsenal-can-close-the-deal-for-chelsea-gk-cech-in-next-few-days/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Mr Blobby wrote: »
    Di Marzio saying Cech to Arsenal is close to completion. £7 million fee.

http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/news-en/arsenal-can-close-the-deal-for-chelsea-gk-cech-in-next-few-days/

A steal at that figure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Cech is not as good as he once was but 7 million is a very good price. Thats a good deal.

Kirby wrote: »
    Cech is not as good as he once was but 7 million is a very good price. Thats a good deal.

He's in the top tier of goalkeepers on a par with De Gea and Courtois. Twice that amount would still be a great deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that Cech isn't as good as he once was

I do not trust this Cech deal whatsoever.

Realistically with the possibility of Yaya going and a few huge holes still in their squad (almost every position from Yaya back to Hart last season was an issue), Chelsea should be looking at our settled squad as their biggest threat next season.

The only position we really have where someone could walk straight in and improve the team hugely is GK.

I just can't see Jose being OK with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,338 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

AdamD wrote: »
    I don't think there's any evidence to suggest that Cech isn't as good as he once was

His last few seasons of regular play would. He's very good, nowhere near up there with the best though. Always had good defenders in front of him too. Before his hit to the head he was in the top tier, since then he's always been below it imo and I doubt his year out has made that better. Good deal for less than 10m though regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

From my memory he was iffy for a season and a half after that injury then was back to his best

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I can't say I've watched him that closely recently, but I seem to recall him being frustratingly brilliant when Chelsea won the CL in 2012? No?

I do not trust this Cech deal whatsoever.

Realistically with the possibility of Yaya going and a few huge holes still in their squad (almost every position from Yaya back to Hart last season was an issue), Chelsea should be looking at our settled squad as their biggest threat next season.

The only position we really have where someone could walk straight in and improve the team hugely is GK.

It makes no sense at all from a Chelsea perspective

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

And he probably is pretty ****ing far from ok with it (in the words of Marsellus Wallace).

But by all accounts its RA's say so and he's rumoured to have a good relationship with the keeper so gesture of goodwill etc (and good business sense to cash in to be fair).

Question to those doubting his current ability - who could Arsenal go out and legitimately get who is better for a reasonable (<£20m) price?

Bear in mind if Cech is bought Ospina will be sold so you're probably looking at a net £5m-£7m cost for Cech.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Another thing too - AW has shown some ruthlessness there over the past year. Dropping Woj and now probably selling Ospina.

Good to see tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

cson wrote: »
    Another thing too - AW has shown some ruthlessness there over the past year. Dropping Woj and now probably selling Ospina.

Good to see tbh.

It is good to see.

It's kinda shocked me a small bit. I hoped we'd go for Cech but didn't really think Wenger would have after buying Ospina only last year.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

And he probably is pretty ****ing far from ok with it (in the words of Marsellus Wallace).

But by all accounts its RA's say so and he's rumoured to have a good relationship with the keeper so gesture of goodwill etc (and good business sense to cash in to be fair).
    Indeed.

He's only got a year left on his contract right? That limits Chelsea's options. I suppose they'd prefer to sell to PSG or like, but PSG are a rival to Chelsea too.

It's not like they're selling us Messi.

Good to see tbh.

Yeah, it's very good tbh. Shows players like Szcz that they're not going to get a start on 'potential' which has been our problem for too long.

Szcz now isn't going to be no.1 for about 4 years. He has that time to become a world class keeper.

I can't say I've watched him that closely recently, but I seem to recall him being frustratingly brilliant when Chelsea won the CL in 2012? No?
    That was over 3 years ago in fairness and the whole team somehow managed to keep goals out that they shouldn't have been able to.

Can we name all the options that are better then Cech?

I get Neuer, De Gea, Courtois and then I start wondering. Though there must be a couple in Italy/Spain I'm not aware of.

Anyway, there is no way in hell he's not good enough. And right now I don't think there are better options.

Possibly buffon and cassilias that'd be it though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Possibly buffon and cassilias that'd be it though

Definitely wouldn't rate Casillas as better than Cech!

In his prime I would have but not now that's why I said possible, also any one any thoughts on howedes turning us down in favour of staying at scale, didn't reckon we needed a cb being honest

In his prime I would have but not now that's why I said possible, also any one any thoughts on howedes turning us down in favour of staying at scale, didn't reckon we needed a cb being honest

Nobody thinks we do, myself included but as I said If a top class one is available, get him. Might of inspired Mert a bit as well. Surprised he turned is down tbh.

Neuer,Courtois,Cech/De Gea,Buffon ect..

For me Cech and De Gea are even. De Gea will most likely be the better keeper in the future but they're even now.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement