Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

League of Ireland in Europe 2015, mod note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Amateur stuff from the Irish League, but unsurprising. It wasn't so long ago that the teams would be going into a European campaign with half their squads unavailable. Crusaders knew that they'd potentially be playing in Europe around when the started challenging for the title ten months ago. The league season ended the end of April and the IFA Cup Final was the first weekend of May. That's about a 6 week period to have your holiday in without it impacting on Europe. They'd have been starting pre-season around this time, anyway, if they weren't in Europe. How could it be deemed acceptable for the manager to miss the start of pre-season, never mind the club's first Champions League tie?

It's incredibly short sighted, as well. Getting through the first round would net Crusaders an additional €300,000. How are they happy to essentially let that kind of money go by giving their manager a holiday? They just don't get Europe. If every team in the IL were to progress one round, it'd bring in nearly a million euro into the league. They're happy to pass that up, but then nearly lose the plot over a €1,000 grant for having an away tie in Cork for the Setanta Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,550 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Id like to think that would be a sackable offence in the LOI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

That Baxter story is incredible, I'd have to question that if I was the Chairman, pure Minnowism.

I notice PP earlier odds of 11/8 for a Rovers away win has been slashed to 8/11

Nice bet if you got it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭tastyt

Ha for **** sake, off on his holidays instead of that headache of champions league management.

I hope they are beaten badly tonight, humiliated even. They deserve nothing more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Might pop over to UCD if I'm free on Thursday. I'll be in my town colours!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There is form in the il for this carry on.

In 2006 the leagues top scorer Glenn Ferguson missed a qualifier for Linfield as he was away on holiday too.
    http://foot.ie/threads/36933-CL-Linfield-v-Gorica

Amateur stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

CIwqio2WwAESE-T.jpg

injuries or resting players?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

Dog?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Dog?

I can see the sky sports style into, where they go through the players proper jobs.

We have the milkman, the plumber and the centre back, who is a dog.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

All jokes aside, I hear their right full back is a real terrier. Dog rough, but Waters will make sure he has his tail between his legs tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

This mob have only drawn 1 game in 10 european matches

Really bad result for Rovers there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

They'll win the home leg and advance, no big deal really

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Mother of God, it sounds like anyone who couldn't go dodged a bullet there.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

They'll win the home leg and advance, no big deal really

Depends on if you had them in a treble.....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Really bad result for Rovers there.

Hardly a disaster in fairness. Fairly typical Fenlon result in Europe.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

I'm sure they'll still go through but 0-0 in Luxembourg is a really bad result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

A draw away in Europe is never a bad result for a LOI side.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭Tomagotchye

Should have pushed for an away goal really. Even if they gave away a goal. Away goals win ties. Simple as. Still, better than a loss and a positive start for the Irish teams

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

Its not a positive start. No disaster either but disappointing than they couldnt beat a Luxembourg side and by all accounts lucky to get a 0-0 draw

typical Fenlon result in Europe but make no assumptions about the home leg, this side who threatened all game could sneak 1 and rovers are up **** creek, might regret not scoring the away goal.

on a side note I had them in an accumulator so **** you Fenlon :(:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Crusaders got a 0-0 draw without their manager. Might still go through so :pac:

God bless Euro trips, wife comes home from work at 11pm im locked waiting on pickup to Dublin Airport(flight is 4 hours away), which brings us to an airport in Belgium which we then have to get a train to Brussells Central and have a few pints in a pub with 3000 beers cos its someones birthday, we then travel to to another train station, get a bus to charleroi then fly to Riga. Should land in Riga HQ at 10pm morrow after 16 hours travelling.

I ****ing love Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

CSF wrote: »
    Id like to think that would be a sackable offence in the LOI.

Maybe West Ham should sack Bilic.

Link
    Slaven Bilic will leave the academy manager Terry Westley in charge of West Ham United for the club’s Europa League match against FC Lusitans of Andorra on Thursday night, as the Croat effectively delays his managerial bow at the east London club.

Bilic was appointed on 9 June as the successor to Sam Allardyce and the club said in a statement he would “arrive in London later in the month following a family holiday but he has already begun preparations for West Ham’s maiden Europa League campaign”.

:eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,925 ✭✭✭✭anncoates

Rovers started off brightly enough and had some decent chances but as is Fenlon wont, we sat back a bit and could have let them back in. The heat was bad (mid 30s) and killed the game later on. Might be swallowing my words come Tuesday but they look a team we should do at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,364 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Maybe West Ham should sack Bilic.

Link

:eek::eek:

When West Ham and Everton were fighting for that EL spot, Roberto Martinez said that he and the first team squad would be in Asia when the first few rounds takes place, even if they were to get the spot. They wouldn't be pulling out of their agreed friendlies for the EL.

So the reserve team and I guess their manager or Martinez' assistant would have been in charge for the game.
    And Martinez has revealed that if the scheduling clash does come about he will definitely be in the Far East that day, because of the Asia Trophy's importance to the Premier League.
    “We are not going to change. We are not going to get the players out of the Singapore trip. Obviously the game on the 16th, we are in Singapore - we wouldn’t be able to be here,” he said
    anncoates wrote: »
    Rovers started off brightly enough and had some decent chances but as is Fenlon wont, we sat back a bit and could have let them back in. The heat was bad (mid 30s) and killed the game later on. Might be swallowing my words come Tuesday but they look a team we should do at home

Should've started North? Two goals against Rosenborg last year. He has experience.

dreamers75 wrote: »
    God bless Euro trips, wife comes home from work at 11pm im locked waiting on pickup to Dublin Airport(flight is 4 hours away), which brings us to an airport in Belgium which we then have to get a train to Brussells Central and have a few pints in a pub with 3000 beers cos its someones birthday, we then travel to to another train station, get a bus to charleroi then fly to Riga. Should land in Riga HQ at 10pm morrow after 16 hours travelling.

I ****ing love Europe.

On way home after 3 days of it.

Enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

Oat23 wrote: »
    Should've started North? Two goals against Rosenborg last year. He has experience.
    North was just on the bench to fill a space because we've so many out injured. He wasn't fit and probably won't be for next week either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Sorry if this has been asked already but where can I watch any of these games? Will any of them be on tv or online?

sonic85 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked already but where can I watch any of these games? Will any of them be on tv or online?

Pats' away game in Riga is on Setanta at 5pm tomorrow.

The others this round are not on TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Pats' away game in Riga is on Setanta at 5pm tomorrow.

The others this round are not on TV.

Brilliant - ill tune in so! Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

sonic85 wrote: »
    Brilliant - ill tune in so! Thanks

It's the cable one - Setanta 1 - not the free one, though. Unless that has changed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

anncoates wrote: »

What level would Niederkorn be in LOI circles - topping Dundalk or making Cabinteely look like Brazil Germany?

Only just back from injury and not played for ages. Was never coming on in that heat.
    dfx- wrote: »
    What level would Niederkorn be in LOI circles - topping Dundalk or making Cabinteely look like Brazil Germany?

Thought they were very poor myself and we made them look better than they were by handing the game back to them as the game went on.

That'll be the fcuking cue now for us to go out 0-1 on Tuesday, of course.

For all the talk of bringing on another forward, who was really missed was Fahey or McPhail: somebody to get on the ball and play it short instead of trying to make the full backs and wide players run on to long passes in that heat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

Setanta Ireland will be showing the away leg between Cork City and KR Reykjavik. Kick off is 8.15pm Irish time next Thursday, the 9th..

Club are doing the usual radio commentary, text updates and Twitter updates for the home leg. See here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

dreamers75 wrote: »

I ****ing love Europe.

Enjoy. I was hopeful of a score draw or win tonight for Patick's.
    Looks like Skonto have done their homework....
    "They are similar to us, they don't sit deep or play long ball football, they prefer to keep it on the ground. I studied their last game, and was impressed by their make-up. I really liked their captain, the right-back [Ger O'Brien] and the left midfielder with the blond hair [Forrester]. They are really high level footballers."
    http://www.goal.com/en-ie/match/skonto-vs-st-patricks/2049428/preview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    Setanta Ireland will be showing the away leg between Cork City and KR Reykjavik. Kick off is 8.15pm Irish time next Thursday, the 9th..

Club are doing the usual radio commentary, text updates and Twitter updates for the home leg. See here.

Setanta obviously not wanting any responbility to do with the home legs :pac:

Rather latch onto the other country's showing no doubt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Dudelange also had a scout at our game in Cobh at the weekend. Can't have seen anything that worries them.
    One of their strikers scored this beauty against Portugal in the World Cup qualifiers a few years ago.

Hoping the fact that they're only in preseason will mean we can scrape a draw or perhaps better, but I can't see there being much to play for in Luxembourg next week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Bate vs Dundalk I would imaging will be live on Setanta too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

SantryRed wrote: »
    Setanta obviously not wanting any responbility to do with the home legs :pac:

Rather latch onto the other country's showing no doubt.

They wanted to screen our game tonight but were told no thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

MD1990 wrote: »
    Bate vs Dundalk I would imaging will be live on Setanta too.

Somebody asked them on twitter, and they said they have No plans too at the minute

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭TheRedDevil10

goal for pats,a.greene

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Lovely goal by Pats there. Great ball and finish. Look by far the better team so far

1-0 Pats. Nice goal from Greene.

http://www.streamable.com/fsak

Patrick's 1 up. Greene 21min

1-0 Pats. Nice goal from Greene.

http://www.streamable.com/fsak

Nice Finish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭Awesomeness

Nice goal. Shocking defending

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

1-1, nicely taken but Pats should have been 2 up by now easily.

Advertisement