Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aston Villa Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,840 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

I wanna post in this thread more but gawd damn it can be depressing to be a Villa fan at times, give us something positive to post about please

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭O.A.P

Posting to subscribe.
    I had hoped we would have a new owner by now at least, feels just as bad as when Alex Mac cleash got the job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭pavb2

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2014/aug/04/premier-league-preview-aston-villa

Good review & preview on the Villa . . . Careful though it is quite depressing so sorry bounty hunter you'll have to wait

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭death1234567

give us something positive to post about please
    This time next year we'll be looking at starting a season where we will win lots of games (in the championship).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭Patser

I wanna post in this thread more but gawd damn it can be depressing to be a Villa fan at times, give us something positive to post about please

We beat Walsall last night with Alan Hutton scoring. By all accounts he looks fired up and determined to get back into team.

Soooooo much negativity here. I understand the frustration and worry but still this is more of less the squad that started last season when most of us predicted mid-table finish. However we now have the injured back playing - Okore is back, Kozac as good as, Benteke ahead of predicted return hopefully back by September, even N'Zog is scoring.

We've a few more signings - none that'll set the world alight but will add depth and experience. Plus some of the bomb squad looking keen as they realise their contracts are nearly up - Bent N'Zog Hutton even Stevens getting a chance. And there is talk of signings like Ki.

And we've Roy on the bench also trying to prove things and who definitely won't be happy with performances like last year.

So cheer the f up and look on the brighter side.

Patser wrote: »
    By all accounts he looks fired up and determined to get back into team.
    Both Hutton and Bent's contracts expire at the end of the season so both of them *should* be fired up to try to play well to get a decent move next summer when they are released on a free.

We beat Walsall last night with Alan Hutton scoring. By all accounts he looks fired up and determined to get back into team.

Soooooo much negativity here. I understand the frustration and worry but still this is more of less the squad that started last season when most of us predicted mid-table finish. However we now have the injured back playing - Okore is back, Kozac as good as, Benteke ahead of predicted return hopefully back by September, even N'Zog is scoring.

We've a few more signings - none that'll set the world alight but will add depth and experience. Plus some of the bomb squad looking keen as they realise their contracts are nearly up - Bent N'Zog Hutton even Stevens getting a chance. And there is talk of signings like Ki.

And we've Roy on the bench also trying to prove things and who definitely won't be happy with performances like last year.

Thats more like it!

although after his time at Villa so far its hard to consider Hutton the big positive I should be looking at. Im going to just write off pre-season (not like we have been playing world class opposition anyway) though as nothing more than a fitness building excercize and hopefully the positivity will start when the league starts. I think Villa could be a confidence team as players like Vlaar and Okore (hope we aren't talking him up due to potential and absence) in CD could be very good, Guzan is a reliable head behind em and we have good quality in attack, especially once Benteke gets back (and hopefully has a big season) and potentially a motivated Bent at least until Tekkers is back.

Whether it's Ki or whoever I still hope we sign another midfielder as Joe Cole really isn't enough to inspire a huge load of confidence as re-inforcements to that area which badly needs an upgrade.

Carruthers has joined MK Dons on a permanent deal.

Sad to see an Irish player leave, he was more creative than workhorse which was at odds with Lambert's 'philosophy'. Maybe he wasn't good enough either, who knows. Manager's judgement of players should be taken with a pinch of salt these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Frankie Lee

I always thought he would make but he is 21 now and didn't make a breakthrough. If he keeps his head right he could make it back to the premier league at some stage in his career as he is technically very good. He would have had a better chance at a team who kept the ball better.

• Advertisement

Easier said than done though. I remember a very similar post by someone on here before last season too. I think negativity is fully justified. Saying we finished mid-table tells a small part of the whole season too.

Also a chairman who wants out and a manager who has completely flip-flopped on his 'philosophy'. We all feel a bit more positive by default because it's a new season but the only positive thing I see is having Okore back, and even then he's untested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Being linked with Cissokho now on ssn.

LeBash wrote: »
    Being linked with Cissokho now on ssn.

Terrible footballer but a massive improvement on Joe Bennett and frees up Richardson for other roles. In a 3-5-2 I'd still rather Richardson as the wing back.

I dont think he is great but I would consider Cissokho an improvement and as said Richardson is versatile and could play elsewhere too plus I would imagine Cissokho considering Liverpool turned down a 3m option on him he wont be that expensive so im all for the signing (though yeah in a 352 Richardson may be better) as like with the addition of the players so far it would make the squad overall stronger.

Cissokho is still pretty young as far as i know so he could be a late bloomer.

To be fair we all know we are not getting a world class full back but a step up is a step up.

26 iirc we could have him as he comes into his prime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭rebelomar

Very solid in his defensive duties. Really physically strong and a good athlete but his technical abilities are pretty poor.

Still if he's solid and shores up the left back spot we'll all be delighted with him.

It's def not a signing that will excite the supporters anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I'm tipping villa for bottom 6. An outside chance of being relegated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,542 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Very much an inside chance of being relegated man.

You don't need to be nostradamus to predict that. Even money that Villa will go down IMO.

• Advertisement

Are we openly allowed bet here? Villa will finish 14th or above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Bookies have Burnley as the dead cert, but after that it's between:

QPR, Leicester, West Brom, Crystal Palace, Villa and Hull.

Going by the prices, I'm assuming that will be a pretty even 6-way shootout for 2 spots.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Bookies have Burnley as the dead cert, but after that it's between:

QPR, Leicester, West Brom, Crystal Palace, Villa and Hull.

Going by the prices, I'm assuming that will be a pretty even 6-way shootout for 2 spots.

QPR and Leicester are strong for promoted teams, West Brom are in bad shape, Pulis is unrelegatable while Hull are a decent team who may suffer from Europe. West Ham and possibly Sunderland are also candidates, especially if Sunderland pick up injuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

QPR and Leicester are strong for promoted teams, West Brom are in bad shape, Pulis is unrelegatable while Hull are a decent team who may suffer from Europe. West Ham and possibly Sunderland are also candidates, especially if Sunderland pick up injuries.

I also wouldn't rule out Southampton after their car-boot sale this Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,760 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I was appalled when Cissokho came to Liverpool. Thought he was an overrated mercenary who was no good on the ball and would cost us games. In fairness though, I think he turned around the opinions of myself and many Liverpool fans with his performances. Even though we only had him on loan, his commitment and work rate were excellent. In defence, he was very solid and his all-action, in your face style worked quite well in the Premier League. Sure, he doesn't have the greatest of ability on the ball, but he has a great engine and as long as he keeps it simple in the final third, he can have a very good impact. If someone told me we were going to have him back at Liverpool as a rotation player, I wouldn't have any problem with that. Think he will do a decent job for you guys.

Far from signed yet though. edit: looks mostly done.

For the money touted Cissokho looks a pretty decent deal. Will add a bit of strength to the team and hopefully a bit more defensive solidity on the left, even Bertrand faded badly there last year and looked just as bad as headbangers Clark and Baker back there.

That being said, he has dropped a fair bit in the last few years. Must be something to that too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,788 ✭✭✭✭JPA

0,,10265~13020777,00.jpg

4 year deal

He is a brave man. We have turned some amount of full backs into a jelly like mess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

I have to say despite not having spent much we have strengthened reasonably well. If we could get in a strong DM then it would have been a decent summer.

We've hopefully got the left wing / full back spot sorted. Central defense may still be a problem if Okore doesn't settle / find form quickly, but senderos is hopefully an improvement on Baker / Clark.

In midfield hopefully Cole can help to be that creative spark we were missing and with N'Zogbia back and Grealish coming through we have more attacking options.

The main thing that I think will define our season is how quickly Benteke and Kozak come back and if they can find full fitness quickly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement