Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC News/Gossip/Rumours Summer '15

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Wasnt Moreno injured this pre season and only coming back? This along with the fact that pre season games mean absolutely nothing when trying to suss out the starting x1?

Moreno lost his place to Gomez or is it just Moreno on a different "getting fit" regime to the rest of the squad?

Just saying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    The player's most ardent defenders would surely accept that getting beaten out during preseason by Gomes would be a bad sign, right? Believe you me, I have no interest in Moreno failing. We can't afford all of these guys to flop.

If there were more qualifiers like this and less blanket statements this thread would be a lot more serene(albeit boring) place :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Gomez is being picked to play left back on merit – he was our best defender in pre-season.

The Helsinki game was interesting. You could hear Rodgers and O’Driscoll shouting instructions from the side-lines throughout the match. A few times Rodgers told Gomez to “stay behind play”. Could be that we are looking to have one defensive full back (with Clyne bombing forward on the other side) to shore up our defense. Especially important if Henderson and Milner are our central midfield pair.

According to the Echo we are not interested in Traore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

brevity wrote: »
    For me, I'm much more concerned about how our defence performs as a whole next season. Moreno, Skrtel and Lovren is a dangerous mix. I'm not sure how Rodgers and the new team plan to improve for next season but its fair to say that if they don't get it right, we are looking at wholesale changes.

I find it astonishing that we haven't looked for a CB. We were awful there last season, have given away some poor goals in pre-season yet it's as you were.
    Some exciting attacking recruits but if the defence is as bad as it has been under Rodgers to date, we won't progress.

According to the Echo we are not interested in Traore

****, does that mean we have to sell him again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

mosstin wrote: »
    I find it astonishing that we haven't looked for a CB. We were awful there last season, have given away some poor goals in pre-season yet it's as you were.
    Some exciting attacking recruits but if the defence is as bad as it has been under Rodgers to date, we won't progress.

You've answered your own question there. There's little point in signing yet more centre halves until Rodgers and his team can actually drill the backline properly and get the midfield to give hem some cover, instead of casually observing opposition runners bomb past them towards the short cut to goal that Lovren became last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,288 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He's off to Stokcelona so.

corwill wrote: »
    You've answered your own question there. There's little point in signing yet more centre halves until Rodgers and his team can actually drill the backline properly and get the midfield to give hem some cover, instead of casually observing opposition runners bomb past them towards the short cut to goal that Lovren became last year.

Skrtel and Lovren will give away goals under any system. We need an upgrade on what we have.

I dont think it was as important to sign a center back, as it was to sign the right coaches to help our defence.

Skrtel - has been our best defender for a few years now to be fair. Strong in the air and puts his body on the line. Also isnt lacking pace which is often a complaint for defenders who are good in the air.

Sakho - was captain for PSG and and been for France in the past. At a young age he showed lots of class in France and the international set up. Great at closing players down and puts in some rough challenges. I would have nightmares if I was up against him to be honest.

Toure - Premiership winning defender who has tonnes of experience and showed his class against Real Madrid. The only player that did mind.

Lovren - For Lyon he was class. At international level he is class. For Southampton he was class. For us............................

We have top quality center backs at this club. Our issue is not the players, it is the coaching of those players.

Lets say our defenders where just above average............ Now lets look at games last season our defenders where humliated against, Stoke and Palace at the end of the season stand out.

Are the players at Stoke or Palace really better than average?

Are you pretending that our defenders wouldnt walk into their sides yet for us our players are just shocking?

Look at the game against Wimbledon for example. Again another embarrassing display. We won 2-1 but our defence was shocking that day again.

Surely our defenders are better than League 2 standard???

The problem is we could bring Hummels into our side and he would be shocking because our coaching seems to ignore our defence.

Hopefully the coaching changes during the summer where to primarily find a solution to that problem.

So center backs we dont need. But a great defensive coach to help our current center backs is what we do need (if our new coaches are not just that)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

The player's most ardent defenders would surely accept that getting beaten out during preseason by Gomes would be a bad sign, right? Believe you me, I have no interest in Moreno failing. We can't afford all of these guys to flop.

It should be pointed out that Moreno did pick up a knock and handed Gomez a chance he probably wasn't even expecting.
    Rodgers says that left-back Alberto Moreno has been injured and has only just started training again. #LFC

— James Pearce (@JamesPearceEcho) July 17, 2015

rob316 wrote: »
    He's off to Stokcelona so.

Looks like Barca were trying to spoof a few more quid out of Stoke with the leaks re LFC to Spanish press. Reminds of all the chat out of Italy about Kovačić a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

No Traore eh? Facking hell I lost my **** over this last night, I called out the club for being so dumb to put in a buy back clause, I baulked at the 15m fee, I questioned why we needed this lad, I was concerned for Ibe's development, turns out it was all for nothing boy do I feel like a complete muglet now, time to learn that twitter is not gospel, it'll save me from further future embarrassment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

No Traore eh? Facking hell I lost my **** over this last night, I called out the club for being so dumb to put in a buy back clause, I baulked at the 15m fee, I questioned why we needed this lad, I was concerned for Ibe's development, turns out it was all for nothing boy do I feel like a complete muglet now, time to learn that twitter is not gospel, it'll save me from further future embarrassment.

Could be worse! You could have made a pathetic post calling out everyone on the forum that disagreed with you, abused everyone and closed down your account. Only to rereg weeks later under a different username like a little weasel

Now that really would be embarrassing!

Mr.H wrote: »
    I dont think it was as important to sign a center back, as it was to sign the right coaches to help our defence.

Skrtel - has been our best defender for a few years now to be fair. Strong in the air and puts his body on the line. Also isnt lacking pace which is often a complaint for defenders who are good in the air.

Sakho - was captain for PSG and and been for France in the past. At a young age he showed lots of class in France and the international set up. Great at closing players down and puts in some rough challenges. I would have nightmares if I was up against him to be honest.

Toure - Premiership winning defender who has tonnes of experience and showed his class against Real Madrid. The only player that did mind.

Lovren - For Lyon he was class. At international level he is class. For Southampton he was class. For us............................

We have top quality center backs at this club. Our issue is not the players, it is the coaching of those players.

Lets say our defenders where just above average............ Now lets look at games last season our defenders where humliated against, Stoke and Palace at the end of the season stand out.

Are the players at Stoke or Palace really better than average?

Are you pretending that our defenders wouldnt walk into their sides yet for us our players are just shocking?

Look at the game against Wimbledon for example. Again another embarrassing display. We won 2-1 but our defence was shocking that day again.

Surely our defenders are better than League 2 standard???

The problem is we could bring Hummels into our side and he would be shocking because our coaching seems to ignore our defence.

Hopefully the coaching changes during the summer where to primarily find a solution to that problem.

So center backs we dont need. But a great defensive coach to help our current center backs is what we do need (if our new coaches are not just that)

Skrtel our best defender? Christ, the man has been given a free pass by a lot of people for a long time now. He isn't up to it on a consistent basis. Not powerful enough - he's been bullied on countless occasions - and his concentration levels are awful. He could be coached better but he just switches off too often to be considered reliable. Even under Rafa he looked similar - it isn't a coaching issue with him. Is he coached to grab the neck of the nearest attacker from corners?
    Sakho has been injured a bit and Rodgers clearly doesn't fancy him even though I'd rate him as a superior defender to any of our other CBs. Lovren? After watching what Bolasie did to him at the end of last season - just one of many errors - I don't think that's gonna work out.
    Top quality centre backs you say? Not from what I've seen.

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Could be worse! You could have made a pathetic post calling out everyone on the forum that disagreed with you, abused everyone and closed down your account. Only to rereg weeks later under a different username like a little weasel

Yikes that after timing post really got to you! I know you looked like a bit of a plank but just take it on the chin. Now dont bother replying i dont want to be modded nor should you because you definitely attacked the poster not the post and also accusations of re regs is against charter, be careful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Who is this referring to, sure this could be loads of posters, unless I'm missing something obvious?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,788 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

So Enrique is forced to train with the kids and has a 19 year old kid with no Premier League experience chosen ahead of him? Firstly, while I can understand Rodgers wanting to remove a player like Borini from the team, I don't see how Enrique deserves the same sort of treatment. Secondly, this is the kind of move that could badly back fire on Rodgers. If Gomez has a howler in his first game - where does that leave us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

435686115_8667db903c_b_54351.jpg

...days to go

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

We need a settled back line. It was constantly changing last season, rarely with the same back 4 or 5 lining out the following week.
    You could see that defenders were going for balls another defender was going for, that's lack of understanding and probably a bit of trust.
    You could see positions were all over the place, because with all the different systems nobody knew where they were supposed to be.....the defensive system was changing mid game. Other teams would stick to a defensive line up and not mess with it. I feel consistency is needed with the back line.
    I think this is what messed with Lovern, he was just lost going into every game.
    Can performed well as he understood what he had to do, but lacked a bunch of qualities as a defender which were exposed.
    Sahko was injured and never settled last season.

Rodgers has even acknowledged we need consistency in the defensive line in terms of who is playing and the positioning. He had enough time last year to mess around so he should know now what works best for the players he has.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭JohnDaniels

Am I correct that Gomez has never played left back before at a competitive level? I hope Rodgers knows what he is doing as Stoke are going to target the **** out of him in the first game. Saying he deserves the place based on watching a couple of glorified kick abouts against sides that put us under next to no pressure is laughable.

Skrtel our best defender? Christ, the man has been given a free pass by a lot of people for a long time now. He isn't up to it on a consistent basis. Not powerful enough - he's been bullied on countless occasions - and his concentration levels are awful. He could be coached better but he just switches off too often to be considered reliable. Even under Rafa he looked similar - it isn't a coaching issue with him. Is he coached to grab the neck of the nearest attacker from corners?
    Sakho has been injured a bit and Rodgers clearly doesn't fancy him even though I'd rate him as a superior defender to any of our other CBs. Lovren? After watching what Bolasie did to him at the end of last season - just one of many errors - I don't think that's gonna work out.
    Top quality centre backs you say? Not from what I've seen.

Skrtel grabbing the shoulders of opposing players is mention all too often in here. Have you never watched a game of football?? Ever see John Terry? Remember Rio? Two great defenders (just got sick a little in my mouth saying that) and they grabbed opposing players in the box!!

Grabbing players in the box on corners is something that happens a lot in the league because refs dont seem to call it (statistically) enough for defenders not to take advantage. Its a step more than dragging someones shirt on corners. It happens because refs allow it.

Skrtel has been our player or the year a couple of times due to his defensive qualities! He was in his early 20's when Rafa was here.

Did Lovren look like this when he played at Lyon and Southampton?

Sakho is "clearly" not rated by Rodgers???? because he isnt picked when he is injured??? or unfit??? or when our defenders have actually put a couple of performances together??

Everything your saying is just a regurgitation of the rubbish we hear in here from the tinfoil hat brigade time and time again. None of what your saying is new.

If what your saying is true then our defenders arent good enough to play league 2 football and if that is really how you feel then I dont think that this debate will go very far.

Simple fact is that if our defenders "could be coached to be better" then its obvious we need better coaches to coach them................

Our defenders switch off a lot. ALL OF THEM. Sakho included. Sometimes they dont seem to know what to do when in certain situations and they get caught by the opposition.

example sceanrio
    Migs rolls the ball to Sakho who passes it wide to Moreno. Moreno is closed down quickly so passes the ball back to Sakho who has very little space (due to opposition closing down) so Sakho tries a fancy trick to beat the opposing player. The opposing player intercepts Sakhos dribble and leaves Sakho on the ground and is straight through for a one on one with Migs.

Replace Migs with Reina or Jones. Replace Sakho with Gerrard, Skrtel, Toure or Agger. Replace Moreno with Flano, Glen, Enrique, Ibe or Can and so on.................................

This situation is all to familiar at Liverpool and has caught us so many times in the few years. Since around Hodgsons time. This is likely down to us firing all of Rafas staff at the time and not replacing them efficiently.

Our defenders where top class defenders and havent become rubbish over night.

This is a coaching issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Who closed down their account? :pac:

Havent been on the forums much lately!

So Enrique is forced to train with the kids and has a 19 year old kid with no Premier League experience chosen ahead of him? Firstly, while I can understand Rodgers wanting to remove a player like Borini from the team, I don't see how Enrique deserves the same sort of treatment. Secondly, this is the kind of move that could badly back fire on Rodgers. If Gomez has a howler in his first game - where does that leave us?

Enrique cant stay fit

Was it last season or the season before where he injured himself playing football in his garden with his kids??

Perhaps the staff at Anfield feel he isnt responsible enough to stand by and would prefer him to move along.

By all accounts he has been around Mario a lot in the last 12 months so is likely partaking in some of the messing going on by Mario.

Enrique is more deserving of been shown the door than Borini

Skrtel grabbing the shoulders of opposing players is mention all too often in here. Have you never watched a game of football?? Ever see John Terry? Remember Rio? Two great defenders (just got sick a little in my mouth saying that) and they grabbed opposing players in the box!!

Grabbing players in the box on corners is something that happens a lot in the league because refs dont seem to call it (statistically) enough for defenders not to take advantage. Its a step more than dragging someones shirt on corners. It happens because refs allow it.

Skrtel has been our player or the year a couple of times due to his defensive qualities! He was in his early 20's when Rafa was here.

Did Lovren look like this when he played at Lyon and Southampton?

Sakho is "clearly" not rated by Rodgers???? because he isnt picked when he is injured??? or unfit??? or when our defenders have actually put a couple of performances together??

Everything your saying is just a regurgitation of the rubbish we hear in here from the tinfoil hat brigade time and time again. None of what your saying is new.

If what your saying is true then our defenders arent good enough to play league 2 football and if that is really how you feel then I dont think that this debate will go very far.

Simple fact is that if our defenders "could be coached to be better" then its obvious we need better coaches to coach them................

Our defenders switch off a lot. ALL OF THEM. Sakho included. Sometimes they dont seem to know what to do when in certain situations and they get caught by the opposition.

example sceanrio
    Migs rolls the ball to Sakho who passes it wide to Moreno. Moreno is closed down quickly so passes the ball back to Sakho who has very little space (due to opposition closing down) so Sakho tries a fancy trick to beat the opposing player. The opposing player intercepts Sakhos dribble and leaves Sakho on the ground and is straight through for a one on one with Migs.

Replace Migs with Reina or Jones. Replace Sakho with Gerrard, Skrtel, Toure or Agger. Replace Moreno with Flano, Glen, Enrique, Ibe or Can and so on.................................

This situation is all to familiar at Liverpool and has caught us so many times in the few years. Since around Hodgsons time. This is likely down to us firing all of Rafas staff at the time and not replacing them efficiently.

This is a coaching issue

Eh, I got down as far as your scenario and couldn't read any more. Nowhere have I said they were League 2 standard - where the hell did you get that from?
    They aren't good enough for us - Skrtel and Lovren that is. Simple.
    And, sure, other defenders grab attacking players, no doubt, but there's a way to go about it which doesn't advertise the fact that you're committing common assault. That's why Terry etc are better defenders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

Enrique cant stay fit

Was it last season or the season before where he injured himself playing football in his garden with his kids??

Perhaps the staff at Anfield feel he isnt responsible enough to stand by and would prefer him to move along.

By all accounts he has been around Mario a lot in the last 12 months so is likely partaking in some of the messing going on by Mario.

Has Enrique got kids? Don't think so. What messing has Balotelli been up to that we've not heard about?

Maybe the staff feel Enrique just isn't good enough? Same with Borini. Can't they both be shown the door for the same reason? Not being deemed good enough by our manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,905 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jon Walters will love a chance to play against a rookie 18 year old and introduce him to what being a PL player.

I really like the look of Gomez as a player what I have seen of him in pre-season I just wonder if Stoke is the right team for him to have his debut in the PL.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

This is a coaching issue

Well said mostly ... i'd also add that we tended to play a system that left our backline quite open over the past 2 years - The Suarez season when we basically went gung-ho and attacked at every opportunity and outscored everyone. Then last season where we played without a DM for most the season.

Chelsea, since they were mentioned in the form of John Terry NEVER get the sort of workout our backs do cos Matic covers them like a junkyard dog. Sometimes Matic and Mickel do that job and allow the rest to flood forward.

I don't find it a coaching issue as such - i'm sure the defenders are coached properly BUT it's more team tactics and how we set them out as a formation that hurts us. Last season we'd play a midfield 5 of Coutinho/Lallana/Hendo/Sterling/Gerard ... very attacking. No protection from them.

Enrique cant stay fit

"By all accounts". :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Am I correct that Gomez has never played left back before at a competitive level? I hope Rodgers knows what he is doing as Stoke are going to target the **** out of him in the first game. Saying he deserves the place based on watching a couple of glorified kick abouts against sides that put us under next to no pressure is laughable.

I'll be honest, having watched Stoke go down in hapless fashion 3 - 0 to Porto at the weekend I think I could play left back and we'd get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

BREAKING: Mario Balotelli implicated in everything thats wrong with the world.

Eh, I got down as far as your scenario and couldn't read any more. Nowhere have I said they were League 2 standard - where the hell did you get that from?
    They aren't good enough for us - Skrtel and Lovren that is. Simple.
    And, sure, other defenders grab attacking players, no doubt, but there's a way to go about it which doesn't advertise the fact that you're committing common assault. That's why Terry etc are better defenders.

Well if you didnt read the scenario your missing the whole point of the debate. Why I feel that its coaching which is the issue and not the personal. Its as clear as day.

Think of the defenders and Keepers we have had that "turned bad over night" in the last few years

Reina, Migs, Agger, Skrtel, Toure, Lovren, Sakho

Thats just to name a couple. Are you telling me that none of them are good enough for a top 4 challenge????

Your right they havent been good enough for us but noone would!!

By the way Terry puts his hands all over peoples shoulders as well but lets not let facts get in the way of our debate

Where did you say our players where not good enough for league 2?? The point when you said it was down to personal and ignored how poor they did against a league 2 side. The fact that if they did so poor against a league 2 side and you think they are better than League 2 standard, that means it must not be personal but a coaching issue.

Do you really think Varane and Hummels would do much better or do you think they would also look tactically lost the way the rest of our defenders look right now??

Go back and read the scenario and maybe youll see what Im talking about. It is something that happens every game to us to every single defender and is why we have/had a coaching issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,905 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

brevity wrote: »
    BREAKING: Mario Balotelli implicated in everything thats wrong with the world.

I heard he is going to be Donald Trump's vice presidential running mate.

I'll be honest, having watched Stoke go down in hapless fashion 3 - 0 to Porto at the weekend I think I could play left back and we'd get away with it.

You seem to be putting way too much emphasis on pre season games, Porto are a class above Stoke maybe even Liverpool so it's moot what happened in that game, same way you're championing Sterling in pre season, means fck all until the league starts.

What you seem to be implying is that we should beat Stoke handy enough, I don't think you believe that though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Lovren - For Lyon he was class.

Eh...no he wasn't!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Out of curiosity does anyone here think we WILL finish in the top 4 this year? I know some think we will challenge strongly for the top 4, but does anyone actually think we have something like a 60% chance even of doing so?

Personally I hope we challenge for the top 4 and we have the capability to be consistent enough to actually achieve it. I don't think we will be as close as I'd hope though, and ultimately it'll be another fairly frustrating season.

Augeo, I'm looking at you as the main voice of positivity from last season ;)

punk_one82 wrote: »
    Has Enrique got kids? Don't think so. What messing has Balotelli been up to that we've not heard about?

Maybe the staff feel Enrique just isn't good enough? Same with Borini. Can't they both be shown the door for the same reason? Not being deemed good enough by our manager?

Marios messing hasnt been anything major. Just things like bringing his friends into Melwood when he is suppose to be training and driving his segwa around the training pitch with Enrique on the back and just little things like that. More unprofessional behaviour than "messing" I suppose but still stuff that could irritate staff.

As for Enriques kids maybe it wasnt his kids maybe it was locals or something but for what ever reason it seems the staff have given up on him.

I dont think Borini is good enough either but he does keep himself fit unlike Enrique

Well if you didnt read the scenario your missing the whole point of the debate. Why I feel that its coaching which is the issue and not the personal. Its as clear as day.

Think of the defenders and Keepers we have had that "turned bad over night" in the last few years

Reina, Migs, Agger, Skrtel, Toure, Lovren, Sakho

Thats just to name a couple. Are you telling me that none of them are good enough for a top 4 challenge????

Your right they havent been good enough for us but noone would!!

By the way Terry puts his hands all over peoples shoulders as well but lets not let facts get in the way of our debate

Where did you say our players where not good enough for league 2?? The point when you said it was down to personal and ignored how poor they did against a league 2 side. The fact that if they did so poor against a league 2 side and you think they are better than League 2 standard, that means it must not be personal but a coaching issue.

Do you really think Varane and Hummels would do much better or do you think they would also look tactically lost the way the rest of our defenders look right now??

Go back and read the scenario and maybe youll see what Im talking about. It is something that happens every game to us to every single defender and is why we have/had a coaching issue

:D The most bonkers logic I think I've seen on this thread. In other words, I didn't say it at all but through a series of bizarre inferrals by you, I've said it. Remarkable stuff. :D

Was Mig's recovery (a bit) in form last season really enough to save Achterberg from the coach cull this summer? He's been 1st team gk coach since summer 2011 - I can't believe the guy still has a job, given the form of Reina and Mig over that period. Brad Jones might be no Lev Yashin, but he sure didn't look like he got any better over his time at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Similar to last year I think if we set the team up correctly we have enough talent in the squad to finish top 4.

I will be having a piece of the action at 3-1 ,but want to see what formation the rodgers picks against Stoke first .

All problems with the squad and summer buys aside , we beat ourselves last year with bizzare squad selections and formations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

5starpool wrote: »
    Out of curiosity does anyone here think we WILL finish in the top 4 this year? I know some think we will challenge strongly for the top 4, but does anyone actually think we have something like a 60% chance even of doing so?

Personally I hope we challenge for the top 4 and we have the capability to be consistent enough to actually achieve it. I don't think we will be as close as I'd hope though, and ultimately it'll be another fairly frustrating season.

Augeo, I'm looking at you as the main voice of positivity from last season ;)

We should not be expecting to be in the Top 4 but expecting to challenge for it. If we had any sort of consistency last season we'd have at least ran United closer for 4th.

It's hard to predict how Utd/Arsenal will go this season and City/Chelsea are pretty much going to be nailed on for top4 ... so we have to be ready to pounce in case they have indifferent seasons.

A good start and a head of steam can go a long way. Last season was pretty much a nightmare until xmas, and we still could have finished higher - so no reason to think we can't do better.

8-10 wrote: »
    Eh...no he wasn't!

Played mostly out of position and got a few reds. He was class though. Very like Sakho with his erratic tackling at times. I thought he was class to be honest. Obviously needed to iron out a few creases in his game but as a young defender at the time he was being chased by some of the top clubs in Europe and turned down Chelsea

Come on!

They finished 9th in the PL last season and are usually excellent and difficult to beat at home. I wouldn't be writing them off based on a friendly.

:D The most bonkers logic I think I've seen on this thread. In other words, I didn't say it at all but through a series of bizarre inferrals by you, I've said it. Remarkable stuff. :D

So your again ignoring everything presumably because you have no actual response?

I wont get into a slagging match as its a little petty. You have your opinions that we need to change everything but I have my opinion that we just need to make tweaks.

Tomato tomato :)

corwill wrote: »
    Was Mig's recovery (a bit) in form last season really enough to save Achterberg from the coach cull this summer? He's been 1st team gk coach since summer 2011 - I can't believe the guy still has a job, given the form of Reina and Mig over that period. Brad Jones might be no Lev Yashin, but he sure didn't look like he got any better over his time at the club.

To be honest I thought he should have been the first out the door. He destroyed Reinas career

Come on!

They finished 9th in the PL last season and are usually excellent and difficult to beat at home. I wouldn't be writing them off based on a friendly.

But Gomez deserves a starting spot based on friendlies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,544 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

So your again ignoring everything presumably because you have no actual response?

I wont get into a slagging match as its a little petty. You have your opinions that we need to change everything but I have my opinion that we just need to make tweaks.

Tomato tomato :)

Or you're your:cool:

Similar to last year I think if we set the team up correctly we have enough talent in the squad to finish top 4.

I will be having a piece of the action at 3-1 ,but want to see what formation the rodgers picks against Stoke first .

All problems with the squad and summer buys aside , we beat ourselves last year with bizzare squad selections and formations.

Surely starting Gomez/Lovren in the first game is enough to put off anyone taking top 4 at that price?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

You seem to be putting way too much emphasis on pre season games, Porto are a class above Stoke maybe even Liverpool so it's moot what happened in that game, same way you're championing Sterling in pre season, means fck all until the league starts.

What you seem to be implying is that we should beat Stoke handy enough, I don't think you believe that though.

All I said is that Sterling looked impressive in his preseason highlights reel.

While preseason is not competitive football, it isn't some remote experience in 1970's Siberia. Stoke got pissed on a mere two days ago and looked dreadful, really dreadful. We looked like we were getting there over the weekend.

The expectation should always be that we beat Stoke at home but, considering how they looked at the weekend, I am particularly confident we'll bag the three points, yes. Surely that's a good thing?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

All I said is that Sterling looked impressive in his preseason highlights reel.

While preseason is not competitive football, it isn't some remote experience in 1970's Siberia. Stoke got pissed on a mere two days ago and looked dreadful, really dreadful. We looked like we were getting there over the weekend.

The expectation should always be that we beat Stoke at home but, considering how they looked at the weekend, I am particularly confident we'll bag the three points, yes. Surely that's a good thing?

The game is at the Britannia, not Anfield.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement