Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is it time boards starting enforcing "Ireland"/"Abroad" tags on sensationalist t

Options
  • 17-02-2019 9:18pm

the "white women refused service at rape crisis" thread is the latest

the stories themselves are almost always lacking in any substance, but the clickbaity cynicism of posting a provocative title like the above and somehow forgetting to point out this is nowhere that affects anyone likely to be reading is a headwrecking trend and among ten other things about this type of sh1t-thread I think has to e addressed somehow.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Not a bad idea Snoop. I've changed the title of that thread now. For once I didn't go the usual dick route cause it is a serious topic.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Sounds like it might be helpful. If you mods like the idea of tags and think it'll help categorise topics/threads, myself or Mark or an Admin can add tags to the forum for you.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I guess it's back to the "serious/light-hearted" distinction. Could add "chat" to cover some of the threads. Given the breadth of AH and the topics covered I don't think we should be looking to introduce a large number of narrowly defined areas of discussion, but perhaps generic ones like the 3 examples I provided

What are the thoughts of others on both the principle of tagging, and indeed the types of tags people may wish to see/use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Purgative

Ireland /Abroad has a lot of merits.

Having just two tags would be simple enough.

Though it hasn't gotten a great deal of interest thus far :(

Purgative wrote: »
    Ireland /Abroad has a lot of merits.

Having just two tags would be simple enough.

Though it hasn't gotten a great deal of interest thus far :(

i like to think it was just that cut-and-dried of a case 😎

• Advertisement

i like to think it was just that cut-and-dried of a case ��

Nicely put.

Its a small change that could maybe make the septic tank After Hours a bit more, useful, friendly, less of a waste of bandwidth.

I'm all for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

What if it’s Northern Ireland? 🤔

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,308 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    What if it’s Northern Ireland? 🤔

Well Ireland/Overseas would be an option

However once we start the principle of tagging I would imagine there will be all sorts of claims that other areas of topic "deserve" similar highlighting

Also, is this being suggested across the site, or only in certain forums (in particular AH). Tags are already used in certain areas, and this type of distinction already exists in Politics, but not Politics Café.

I would not see merit for such distinctions across all forums

id be happy to see it only in AH beasty

my complaint, presuming the view that its a problem is shared, is that thread titles are v opportunistically leaving out location in order to get clicks for scare headlines that are utterly irrelevant to most users.

i think myself that it would be fair to say AH is more prone to this cynical tabloidism than other subfora (where id imagine specific rules might already exist in most cases that would allow for mod action)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

id be happy to see it only in AH beasty

my complaint, presuming the view that its a problem is shared, is that thread titles are v opportunistically leaving out location in order to get clicks for scare headlines that are utterly irrelevant to most users.

i think myself that it would be fair to say AH is more prone to this cynical tabloidism than other subfora (where id imagine specific rules might already exist in most cases that would allow for mod action)

Might a better idea be to clamp down on clickbait thread titles?

I don’t think tags are necessary in AH.

• Advertisement

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Might a better idea be to clamp down on clickbait thread titles?

I don’t think tags are necessary in AH.

<snip>

Admin note

You need a minimum 100 posts to post in Feedback (as well as 3 months on the site)

Advertisement