Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self car wash, Galway

• 09-02-2018 1:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Anyone know of any self power hoses in the city ? there on in the docks and used to be one on the bearna road station but i htink thats out of action now. Any others round town ???
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

The petrol station at the Newcastle side of the Q bridge has one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I believe the Topaz on College Rd has one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Topaz Bohermore RB
    Topaz Newcastle Rd
    Applegreen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,457 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Just thought I'd update this thread as I spent half the morning looking for a place where I could wash my car myself :pac:

Applegreen - Tuam Road (across from Mervue Business Park)
    Circle K - Bohermore (at Joyce roundabout)
    Circle K - College Road (near The Huntsman Inn)
    Circle K - Newcastle Road (at the junction with Quincentenary Bridge)

For all of the above you need to pay in the shop in order to get a code.

Is there any more self-serve car washes around Galway city?

The car wash at the Texaco Silverstrand service station is currently out of order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I normally use the one on college road but it did a poor job on my saloon car during the week. The one up in Westside near McDonalds is better I think.

• Advertisement

sgthighway wrote: »
    I normally use the one on college road but it did a poor job on my saloon car during the week. The one up in Westside near McDonalds is better I think.

Are you referring to automatic car washes?
    Because this thread is for car washes where you can use the pressure washer yourself etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Just thought I'd update this thread as I spent half the morning looking for a place where I could wash my car myself :pac:

Circle K - University Road (near The Huntsman Inn)

Do you know what the prices are for these?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Circle K - University Road (near The Huntsman Inn)

The car wash at the Texaco Silverstrand service station is currently out of order.

I was asking a mate over the weekend about this and he was saying AppleGreen used to be decent as it gave you plenty of time. Any time you stopped using the lance, the timer would stop. But now its changed, you get < 10 minutes I think total, regardless of whether you're using the lance in all that time or not.

It would be annoying rushing around the car like that against a timer. OK for a quick hose down but far from ideal if you want to do it right.

J o e wrote: »
    Do you know what the prices are for these?

Not sure about Circle K but Applegreen have three different options... €3 for 3 minutes, €6 for 9 minutes and then something in the middle that I can't remember :pac:

JoeA3 is correct, the timer doesn't stop even if you are not using the lance. For me, I had to buy a token/code so I could use the lance to give my car a pre-rinse. Then I gave the car a two-bucket-wash. And then I bought another token to rinse off the shampoo. There's no way that I could get it all done in 9 minutes using one token.
    JoeA3 wrote: »
    I was asking a mate over the weekend about this and he was saying AppleGreen used to be decent as it gave you plenty of time. Any time you stopped using the lance, the timer would stop. But now its changed, you get < 10 minutes I think total, regardless of whether you're using the lance in all that time or not.

It would be annoying rushing around the car like that against a timer. OK for a quick hose down but far from ideal if you want to do it right.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Circle K - University College Road (near The Huntsman Inn)

Fixed that

• Advertisement

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Fixed that

D'oh! Thanks :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 511 ✭✭✭ChewyLouie

Anyone know the best value (€/min) self service car wash in the city? Or cheapest for 3mins minimum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,253 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Applegreen on the Tuam Road are the only self washers I can think of. Can't remember the price sorry.

ChewyLouie wrote: »
    Anyone know the best value (€/min) self service car wash in the city? Or cheapest for 3mins minimum.

It's €2 for 3 minutes at Applegreen on the Tuam Road. I can't remember the other prices there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,178 ✭✭✭Guffy

Circle k newcastle, bohermore and possibly college road but not sure about the last. Think the price for 8 min is €5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Anyone using them know if they leave water spots behind? Was scrubbing flies off the bonnet in the sun and the hard water spots left behind made it look worse. Luckily took care of those a day later. Now paranoid to wash my car at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I wonder if it would be worth the cost to have 10 bays set up, with powerhoses, and maybe foam lances too. Open 24 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    I wonder if it would be worth the cost to have 10 bays set up, with powerhoses, and maybe foam lances too. Open 24 hours.

Couldn't see it making money, there is never a queue for these self wash car washes as is. unless it offers something else that all the others don't?

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭theintern

Anyone using them know if they leave water spots behind? Was scrubbing flies off the bonnet in the sun and the hard water spots left behind made it look worse. Luckily took care of those a day later. Now paranoid to wash my car at home.

They do leave water spots behind in my experience. You need to be drying straight after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

You have to be quite quick in drying the car afterwards in this weather as the heat evaporates water very quickly leaving behind water marks.

For a bit of a helping hand, get a bottle of Gtechniq QD and go over the car as soon and as quickly as you can after drying to remove any remaining water marks. This stuff also increases gloss and water repellency. It can be layered too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement