Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50% off Philips Airfryer on Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭amber2

I put tin foil on the bottom, under the basket, not over as it would effect air flow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

SachaJ wrote: »
    Do these usually get a lightning deal on Prime Day?

The XL is £155 but wondering will it drop further.

Currently £129.99 / (about €147 with Revolut) for Prime members

That's the lowest Camelcamel has tracked it since 2016 (though they don't always catch lightning deals)

if you've been wavering over getting one, go for it - you won't regret it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Currently £129.99 / (about €147 with Revolut) for Prime members

That's the lowest Camelcamel has tracked it since 2016 (though they don't always catch lightning deals)

if you've been wavering over getting one, go for it - you won't regret it!

Dunno why but have been tempted for awhile, still to expensive to buy one for the craic, reviews are a bit sh1te for it in fairness to, hard to clean - smokey - small - landfill, mentioned alot there.

"The possibilities of meals are endless" but all you ever see mentioned is chips and burgers, What do you put in it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

Looks tempting at that price.

I have a good combination microwave. (Oven, Convection and Grill). I can get decent roast potatoes / wedges / thick cut chips from the Convection only or Microwave & Convection mode.

Would there be much benefit in an Airfryer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

doylefe wrote:
    Would there be much benefit in an Airfryer?

Yes...

Kuva wrote: »
    Dunno why but have been tempted for awhile, still to expensive to buy one for the craic, reviews are a bit sh1te for it in fairness to, hard to clean - smokey - small - landfill, mentioned alot there.

"The possibilities of meals are endless" but all you ever see mentioned is chips and burgers, What do you put in it?

Anything you'd normally cook in the oven / grill / deep fat fryer / frying pan (lots of people swear by steak from it) - cooked in far less time, and once you figure the timings for a given amount, just hit the timer and walk away (usually one shake / turn half way through is all that's needed, if at all)

There's a long thread in the food forum, and even look at the first couple of pages of this thread for reviews from very happy customers.

I don't eat meat, but use it for chips (99c tesco skinny chips are perfect from it), wedges, hash browns, veggie burgers, quiche, baked eggs (I do a great veggie 'sausage and egg mc muffin'!), onion rings, garlic bread, bake-at-home bread rolls in 8 mins from cold, mini pizzas, all the quorn stuff, etc etc etc..
    All, IMO nicer than from the oven / grill and much healthier than using deep fat fryer.

There's tons more uses if you're a meat eater (bought one for the folks at home and it's used on the regular for fries / roasts etc..)

You just need to figure your temps and timings and you'll find your oven / grill / pan gathering dust..

Don't think I've ever had a chipper take away at home since buying mine either..

Edit: as for the landfill comment: mine and my folks both going strong after 2 yrs, and haven't seen anyone on here complain about a faulty one..

I just upgraded to the xl, and will keep the standard size as a spare..

I'd always said if mine broke, it'd be replaced in the morning.
    At this price, it's a no-brainer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

For anyone on the fence, buy it. Buy it now. That’s a superb price for the XL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Davexirl

dodzy wrote: »
    For anyone on the fence, buy it. Buy it now. That’s a superb price for the XL.

Yeah they are a great machine, that's the lowest price I have seen it drop in ages, so I bought another one. Anything I have tried in it always turns out great, chicken, sausages, fish and of course chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

We have 2 that run side by side constantly. Once I realized I could cook a full chicken in the xl, the oven became pretty much redundant. Trying to justify buying another as a spare. Jesus, I fecking hate you Amazon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

Oh fk
    This is what I was waiting for yday
    When it wasn’t reduced by evening I ended up splurging on something else as I thought prime day was a one day event ........

km79 wrote: »
    Oh fk
    This is what I was waiting for yday
    When it wasn’t reduced by evening I ended up splurging on something else as I thought prime day was a one day event ........

Cancel it and order the Airfryer!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

Heard its only slightly bigger than the normal one

Yes...

An Airfryer is just a mini convection oven, which I basically already have.

Is your "Yes" based on actual experience of an Airfryer vs a combi microwave oven?

aaaaannnnnddddddd bought it :D

Have the regal actifry for 3 years and basically every part of it broke and had to be replaced . It’s on its last legs now altogether but will keep ot for making muesli .

Will now have to look up diff recipes for this yoke :D
    I’ve seen baked potatoes mentioned which is good
    Hoping it does nice cod too.

Going to but the accessory kit now was well and then turning off and burning the laptop

OmegaGene wrote: »
    You won’t regret buying it, I’ve only had one disaster with mine and not really a disaster but more of a lesson learned, I tried roasting a joint of ham with marmalade glaze

I’m off to get jacket potatoes now for this evening lol

I don,t want to sidetrack this thread by asking for recipes so could you link me a few websites or indeed if there is a thread on here ?

• Advertisement

I don,t want to sidetrack this thread by asking for recipes so could you link me a few websites or indeed if there is a thread on here ?

Big thread in Food and Drink forum - can't link as on phone.
    Mine came with a recipe book too.
    I'm sure you'll get loads online and YouTube too

Edit:
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057063796/1/#post72103956

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,400 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

There's an official philips airfryer app with recipes too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

is this any better than a tefal actifry?

Seve OB wrote: »

I feckin hope so!!!! I think I made the wrong decision a few years ago. Bought the Actifry purely based on it having a paddle . The paddle ended up not being used most of the time. And almost every single part broke and had to be replaced. In fact the motor itself went too but it was within 12 months so Argos replaced the machine

Yes is the consensus.
    Tefal breaks (the paddle) and breaks up your food stirring it...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,742 ✭✭✭honda boi

Have the normal Phillips air fryer.
    Very tempted by this.
    Is it much bigger in person ? I know it's 1.2kg capacity.
    Would the xl feed 5 people you think?
    Our one is beginning to struggle to feed us. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭scottigael

Will this magic philips airfryer cook raw potatoes? All I want to know.

scottigael wrote: »

Chips?
    You need to either soak or blanch them first, then toss in a little oil.

Roasties?
    Par-boiled spuds of course - delicious!

Baked?
    I'm sure they'd be great, but haven't tried..

I ask because we have one, an actifry that it is.
    first one broke because I... well lets just say I did some silly :rolleyes:

our second one we have had for probably 5+years. in the early days, someone did something to it and the lid does not close perfectly, but it does the job. only recently the spinny thing (paddle?) broke in the dishwasher. in fairness after 5+ years it has served us very very well and gets lots and lots of use. we could replace the paddle, but maybe it is just time to get a new one... or similar. would happily buy another actifry, but I guess we should look at the alternatives now and see what they have to offer both from a pricepoint and performance

PS why would you not use the paddle?

we generally just use it for chips and veg, maybe sausages. I really should look up on other uses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭mel123

scottigael wrote: »

I buy these and they are delicious, also come in roast potatoes. Can get them in SuperValu, Dunnes, Tescos. Just bang them straight in.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/fruit-vegetables-potatoes-you-say-potato-fresh-cut-chips-500-grams-/p-1459660000

I ask because we have one, an actifry that it is.
    first one broke because I... well lets just say I did some silly :rolleyes:

our second one we have had for probably 5+years. in the early days, someone did something to it and the lid does not close perfectly, but it does the job. only recently the spinny thing (paddle?) broke in the dishwasher. in fairness after 5+ years it has served us very very well and gets lots and lots of use. we could replace the paddle, but maybe it is just time to get a new one... or similar. would happily buy another actifry, but I guess we should look at the alternatives now and see what they have to offer both from a pricepoint and performance

PS why would you not use the paddle?

we generally just use it for chips and veg, maybe sausages. I really should look up on other uses.

paddle can break up some types of food. fish for example

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭mel123

can anyone recommend an accessories kit? ive the small airfryer

paddle can break up some types of food. fish for example

ok, didn't realise you can use it without the paddle

Pulled the trigger.
    Only cost me 118£ thanks to the free promotional credit :D
    Priority delivery is the same as standard delivery which seems odd.

honda boi wrote: »
    Pulled the trigger.
    Only cost me 118£ thanks to the free promotional credit :D
    Priority delivery is the same as standard delivery which seems odd.

IIRC, mine shipped from Germany last time (bought on .co.uk) - perhaps that's the reason for the delay

• Advertisement

mel123 wrote: »
    I buy these and they are delicious, also come in roast potatoes. Can get them in SuperValu, Dunnes, Tescos. Just bang them straight in.

https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/fruit-vegetables-potatoes-you-say-potato-fresh-cut-chips-500-grams-/p-1459660000

These are brutal :rolleyes:

honda boi wrote: »
    Have the normal Phillips air fryer.
    Very tempted by this.
    Is it much bigger in person ? I know it's 1.2kg capacity.
    Would the xl feed 5 people you think?
    Our one is beginning to struggle to feed us. :P

Not a hope of feeding 5 people in 1 go might take 3 attempts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Maris Piper potatoes, cut into chips, drizzle in oil shaking in tinfoil to cover them, empty into airfryer when heated to 200, philips airfryer 15 mins with a few shakes of basket.

Best chips!

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭the_pod

Got my XL yesterday, haven't even used it yet and it's already great. Same height as the standard, hardly takes up any more space on the counter (but a good bit bigger inside) and has a slide out rail/drawer that holds the basket which is brilliant - a couple of time when i pulled out the old one I pressed the button by mistake and the bottom half fell to the floor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Melendez wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

OK, I've been debating on buying one of these for a few years now, but have never been able to convince myself.

140stg is steep enough for what I might do what I have done with a lot of other stuff I have bought for the kitchen in the end up - relegate it to the kitchen press.

The oven is used quite a bit in our house for meat/potatoes/chips, so I suppose I'm wondering would this supercede the oven? Would it be handier cleaned than the oven?

Also there's a vegetarian in the house, so wondering how useful this will be if the vegetarian ultimately won't eat anything from it because chicken or steak or whatever was cooked in it?

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 959 ✭✭✭4real

OK, I've been debating on buying one of these for a few years now, but have never been able to convince myself.

140stg is steep enough for what I might do what I have done with a lot of other stuff I have bought for the kitchen in the end up - relegate it to the kitchen press.

The oven is used quite a bit in our house for meat/potatoes/chips, so I suppose I'm wondering would this supercede the oven? Would it be handier cleaned than the oven?

Also there's a vegetarian in the house, so wondering how useful this will be if the vegetarian ultimately won't eat anything from it because chicken or steak or whatever was cooked in it?

Thoughts?

https://www.homestoreandmore.ie/cookware-accessories/tower-health-air-fryer/069199.html

this would be a cheaper option also comes with 3 year warranty.

I bought one of these about 3 years ago use it almost every day along with a 3 tier steamer and have no regrets at all, people are of the impression it’s just for healthy chips but it does so much more, I cooked a joint of bacon the other day and today I plan to cook a 1kg chicken, it does fabulous eggs in ramekins the list is endless.
    I keep putting mine into the cupboard and out it comes again lol
    It’s a beast of a machine tbh a bit like the nvidia shield tv, expensive but well worth the money
    I second that. I had the smaller version
    Use it everyday at least once.
    Great machine and never had a fault.
    Used the big one a handful of times and is great with the digital display and extra size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭monkeybutter

Thoughts?

it is not easier than the oven to clean, there is a slightly easier to clean basket on the newer ones, but it's not clear this is the one on amazon

at 180 euro, it's over priced

That said, it is brilliant

It gets up to temp in 3 mins, the oven takes 20 - 30 mins to get up to say 200, you'd be eating the food from the air fryer before it even starts in the oven

Now maybe a premium oven would match it, but no electric oven I've come across in all my years can match the crisping action of the Air Fryer

It is after all not a fryer at all, just a very hot oven

Frozen pastry items come out it like a dream, they come out of the oven flat and half cooked, no lift

Chips come out crisp, chicken skin is beautifully all some of the fat drains away, i've never seen better wings, wings in eateries now seem soggy and full of fat

If you cook something fatty in in, it's a pain to clean, but the results are worth it

Never use the oven now at all, save for large roasts

• Advertisement

I just upgraded to the XL from the standard during the prime deal and I've no regrets. We use it for everything you'd normally use and oven or grill for unless it's too big to fit. It's used daily and never put away. Takes up a bit of counter space but worth it.
    The only issue I ever have is cooking fatty stuff like sausages or steak - they turn out great but it can cause a good bit of smoke, I presume from fat splashing onto the heating element.
    The manual says the basket bits can be cleaned in a dishwasher but the new basket is a bit easier to clean than the old one. It can be a bit fiddly to clean but I still think it's easier to keep than the oven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

It is after all not a fryer at all, just a very hot oven
    Yes, the word frier is a misnomer, and lots of negative review are since people thought it was a replacement for a deep fat frier, and magically expecting chips with a drop of oil to taste like fatty chipper chips.

To be pedantic it does not actually get that hot, as in a high temperature, at first I was disappointed when I saw it was only 200C. It is just a fan oven with a very fast fan, it is like someone is cooking the food with a heat gun directly blasting it. But the 200C is not an issue, I can have well browned pizzas in no time, and fully brown whole chickens in an hour.

Got this on Prime Day. Waste of money. Not as good as my combination microwave oven.

It's very hard get an unbiased accurate assessment of anything without going and buying it yourself and seeing for yourself unfortunately.

doylefe wrote: »
    Got this on Prime Day. Waste of money. Not as good as my combination microwave oven.

It's very hard get an unbiased accurate assessment of anything without going and buying it yourself and seeing for yourself unfortunately.

You're in a minority of one as far as I can tell.

Do you reckon everyone raving about it on here is deluded or are shilling for Philips (cf. your "unbiased accurate assessment" comment) ?

What did you try cooking in it, and what was the problem?

Personally I can say I have never received any money from Philips or product that I have not paid for.
    I've never found combi microwaves particularly useful for anything other than microwaving and I've had many including Neff and Siemens, although never a Philips one.
    This is a completely different machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,212 ✭✭✭Roberto_gas

Owning this for two years now...best kitchen equipmemt ever....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

what is the make & model of the combi oven?

And why did you bother getting an airfryer? you seemed more than pleased with the combi oven. What did you think it was going to do so much better?
    An Airfryer is just a mini convection oven, which I basically already have.
    I can get decent roast potatoes / wedges / thick cut chips from the Convection only or Microwave & Convection mode.

What was so bad about it, please let others know. I find the philips is too small and if mine broke I would get the 5L powerairfryer as a replacement. You go on about the difficulty in finding reviews yet give zero info.

Upgraded to the xl here.
    The other will be boxed up as a spare (after I've loaned it out to a colleague, to whom I've been extolling its virtues)..

Maybe give it some time before consigning it to the dustbin doylefe - you can't have cooked the range of foods possible in the short time since Prime Day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,368 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Plenty of reviews on amazon
    If my own packed up I would get the xxl bad boy that recently came out
    Bigger is better, well that’s what herself says

Not sure if you have the standard sized one of the XL, but I looked into upgrading from the XL to the XXL but from what I was reading it's not worth it size-wise. The only reason I'd upgrade is because the basket and pan both have removable bottoms making them easier to clean. Perhaps if it gets discounted to around €220 on black friday I'd upgrade.

UsedToWait wrote: »
    You're in a minority of one as far as I can tell.

Do you reckon everyone raving about it on here is deluded or are shilling for Philips (cf. your "unbiased accurate assessment" comment) ?

Post-purchase rationalization.

Post-purchase rationalization.

Persevere.
    I guarantee your combi will be gathering dust.
    Mine certainly is.

• Advertisement
Advertisement