Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

50% off Philips Airfryer on Amazon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

Finally took delivery of my Philips HD9220/50 today.

Just a heads up to other XL users, this one doesnt have the rails for the base drawer so it comes out with the basket making it a lot more difficult to use!

It will take a bit of time to get used to but in order so say shake your chips. The entire base drawer has to come out (which is scalding) so you can lift the basket and shake the chips. You then have to put the basket back into the base drawer and some how lift it back into the air fryer :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭branners69

OmegaGene wrote: »
    Slide out the draw remove basket and shake and replace

Where do you put the drawer after you take it out? I assume you have a pair of oven gloves handy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

branners69 wrote: »
    Where do you put the drawer after you take it out? I assume you have a pair of oven gloves handy?

This was what me made me go fir the actifry a few years ago
    The paddle
    The paddle that subsequently broke up a lot of the food and then broke itself!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 503 ✭✭✭interlocked

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD9216-41-Airfryer-Technology/dp/B0757ZBDGF/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen

The 9216 model is down to £59.99 in a Deal of the Day.

Best sixty quid that you'll spend all year.................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-HD9216-41-Airfryer-Technology/dp/B0757ZBDGF/ref=dp_ob_title_kitchen

Jaysus..
    Tempting, and I already own one!!
    Going to hold off on a similar deal on the xl.
    If you're cooking for 1 in particular, or even for 2, if you're doing say veg or pasta separately, you'd be mad to pass this.

• Advertisement

UsedToWait wrote: »
    Jaysus..
    Tempting, and I already own one!!
    Going to hold off on a similar deal on the xl.
    If you're cooking for 1 in particular, or even for 2, if you're doing say veg or pasta separately, you'd be mad to pass this.

Damn this is tempting ........can’t decide whether to wait for XL deal or not ..........the actifry is still going but only a matter of time before it breaks for good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

km79 wrote: »
    Damn this is tempting ........can’t decide whether to wait for XL deal or not ..........the actifry is still going but only a matter of time before it breaks for good

The best you can hope for on the XL will be double the price of this one I’d say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭ALS

Should I pull the trigger on this ? Never had one of these before ,no idea how they work or what the food is like out of them , family of 4 , would this be big enough ? What’s the XL that ops are referencing on here ? Any advice please , thanks

https://www.amazon.co....=dp_ob_title_kitchen

Best sixty quid that you'll spend all year.quote="dodzy;105351258"]The best you can hope for on the XL will be double the price of this one I’d say.[/quote]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

ALS wrote: »
    Should I pull the trigger on this ? Never had one of these before ,no idea how they work or what the food is like out of them , family of 4 , would this be big enough ? What’s the XL that ops are referencing on here ? Any advice please , thanks

The XL is the bigger model. You should definitely hold out for that if you are cooking for 4. I have the XL (we are also 4) and I couldn't do with a smaller model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Just pulled the trigger and purchased this even though i have one already. 2 years old and still in perfect working order but this price is too good to pass up.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

Just pulled the trigger and purchased this even though i have one already. 2 years old and still in perfect working order but this price is too good to pass up.

How many do you cook for ?
    We still have the actifry too so debating if this will do instead of XL.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

km79 wrote: »
    How many do you cook for ?
    We still have the actifry too so debating if this will do instead of XL.......
    Having 2 is great. We've the 9230 and the 9240. Forever in use; oven redundant 95% of the time. Even thought of grabbing this as a spare at that price. 2 yrs and both still going strong. Could do with a replacement basket. (These are only about 20 quid direct from Philips; worth keeping in mind if anyone has reached 'dirty basket' syndrome).

There's 4 of us in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭mel123

For anyone tempted to buy, the small version, id say hold out and try and nab the bigger version. I have the smaller one, and its small. Its really cooking for one, two at a push i find. The XL would definitely be the better buy for anyone...just my bit of advice for anyone.

Im following this thread anyway, hoping the XL comes up today or tomorrow (missed the one yesterday on amazon.de)

LOL damn bargain alerts what :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The missus would most likely kill me if I get this (I do most of the cooking). We already have:

food processor, steamer, coffee machine, George Foreman, Nutri Bullet and probably one or two other things. I have more pans/pots than you can shake a stick at.

Do I really need one of these? I know people absolutely love them but why?

Am I better off holding out for a different model?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I have the smaller one got when they came out first....works perfectly but getting a bit smoky now ...but working fine.
    Going to try to get an XL over the next few days ...the original is fine but definitely only capable of cooking for two at a push. Will be ideal to have older as a spare if needed to cook extra amount.
    What would be a good price for the XL ?

The missus would most likely kill me if I get this (I do most of the cooking). We already have:

food processor, steamer, coffee machine, George Foreman, Nutri Bullet and probably one or two other things. I have more pans/pots than you can shake a stick at.

I have all you mentioned above and the only thing that I haven’t pushed to the back of a press is the Airfryer, mine is used daily...I cook everything in it.. you won’t believe the taste of steak from the Airfryer or a nice piece of fish cooked in parchment paper...sausage, mushrooms, tomato, rashers and I even do my toasted sandwich in it...butter the outside of the sandwich and 4 minutes.
    You won’t regret it..

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

mel123 wrote: »
    For anyone tempted to buy, the small version, id say hold out and try and nab the bigger version. I have the smaller one, and its small. Its really cooking for one, two at a push i find. The XL would definitely be the better buy for anyone...just my bit of advice for anyone.

Im following this thread anyway, hoping the XL comes up today or tomorrow (missed the one yesterday on amazon.de)

Can you expand on what you are classifying as a meal for two, example will it cook two pieces of meat and two portions of chips?

• Advertisement

Am I better off holding out for a different model?

Seriously, you can cook anything in these, from your ham and cheese toastie for your lunch, to baking a cake and honestly ive yet to have anything from it and say 'nah that didnt taste nice'. I leave stuff in it and go off about my business which is great. Throw the burgers on, run for a quick shower, dinner ready when im back down the stairs and no keeping an eye on them like i would have to it i was doing them on the frying pan. Sunday morning, rashers, sausages, eggs, pudding, just bang them all in, no washing all the different pots and pans, only one item to wash. Your george will go in the back of the press, never to be used again.
    Every house should have one :)

Can you expand on what you are classifying as a meal for two, example will it cook two pieces of meat and two portions of chips?

You could, but the basket would be full and the chips on top of the meat, its not really ideal for taste and flavor and its a bit of hassle. Some times i find myself doing two 'sittings' if you get me, get one dinner ready first and then the second, depends what it is. Or you wouldnt get two toasted sandwiches in at the same time.
    Trust me, the XL version is worth the extra money if they come up on sale, you wont regret it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

You could, but the basket would be full and the chips on top of the meat, its not really ideal for taste and flavor and its a bit of hassle. Some times i find myself doing two 'sittings' if you get me, get one dinner ready first and then the second, depends what it is. Or you wouldnt get two toasted sandwiches in at the same time.
    Trust me, the XL version is worth the extra money if they come up on sale, you wont regret it.

I just bought one from Argos and I'm also trying to think what to cook in it! so you'd put sandwiches in and it like toasts them?

When you are cooking eggs what way do you do that? I'm dying to try mine out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Hendrickp

Does anyone know if there is much of a difference between this Fryer and the Tefal Actifry machines that turns the food automatically??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Seriously, you can cook anything in these, from your ham and cheese toastie for your lunch, to baking a cake and honestly ive yet to have anything from it and say 'nah that didnt taste nice'. I leave stuff in it and go off about my business which is great. Throw the burgers on, run for a quick shower, dinner ready when im back down the stairs and no keeping an eye on them like i would have to it i was doing them on the frying pan. Sunday morning, rashers, sausages, eggs, pudding, just bang them all in, no washing all the different pots and pans, only one item to wash. Your george will go in the back of the press, never to be used again.

Hmnn get the one on special or hold off for the XL version? There's two adults and a six month old lady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

Hadn't thought of the toastie, I can see that working. But how do you cook an egg in it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

So the consensus on the forum is wait until tomorrow to see if it reduces in price further for XL version? Currently listed as £157.99 at the time of posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

XL currently going for £158, down from £250, is that a good reduction or could we expect to see better over the weekend?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00BS97UUA/

gooner99 wrote: »
    Hadn't thought of the toastie, I can see that working. But how do you cook an egg in it?
    I got a little dish thing on amazon for eggs just like an individual bun tin , rub a bit of butter inside and crack egg in with a bit of salt and pepper..I got 3 and the 3 little tins fit no problem..takes about 3-4 minutes to cook the eggs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Rooy

I had asked a few questions on this on the main Amazon thread , but this thread is probably more appropriate.
    I was planning on buying a George Foreman this week for things like toasted SW , chicken , rashers mainly , is this a better option ?

Advertisement