Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIX DAY notice for Tenants - Why cause a $ loss to Tenant and reduced supply

Options
  • 16-05-2020 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hi all,

We should file a request to Govt for fix notice say of 28 days for tenancy vacation. In a city like Dublin, it is absurd to seek 42 days notice for a lease which just crossed over 1 year. It is even higher after 2 years.

I'm sure most of us faced this scenario. Next LL does not give you even a week to move in. They prefer anyone who can move ASAP.

[B]Result is tenant loose 1 month or more, rent as he end up paying at both location.[/B]

Why should notice increase every 6 months in a market where tenants queue up for a house. Apartments are taken in hours on Daft at times.

1. It results in lose of Money to tenant

2. Reduces supply as literally all tenant waste 1 month approx of supply. As they stay in one house and pay rent for another vacant one during notice period.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Neither of your last two posts have anything to do with Consumer or Rip Off Ireland. I'm moving both of them to A&P, where this type of post belongs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,033 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Jjohnrockk wrote: »
    Hi all,

We should file a request to Govt for fix notice say of 28 days for tenancy vacation. In a city like Dublin, it is absurd to seek 42 days notice for a lease which just crossed over 1 year. Its higher after 2 years l.

I'm sure most of us faced this scenario. Next LL does not give you even a week to move in. They prefer anyone who can move ASAP.

Result is tenant loose 1 month rent as he end up paying at both location.

Why should notice increase every 6 months in a market where tenants queue up for a house.

1. It results in lose of Money to tenant

2. Reduces supply as literally all tenant waste 1 month approx of supply. As they stay in one house and pay rent for another vacant one during notice period.

You are responsible for your own money, it's not hard to set reminders on your phone of important tenancy dates.

Tenancy law is there to protect tenants, certainly not landlords.

Plus, no legislation can be passed at the moment so it would be a total waste of time, not that petitions like this work anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Jjohnrockk

Caranica wrote: »
    You are responsible for your own money, it's not hard to set reminders on your phone of important tenancy dates.

Tenancy law is there to protect tenants, certainly not landlords.

Plus, no legislation can be passed at the moment so it would be a total waste of time, not that petitions like this work anyway.

Thanks for preconceived notions and responses. Header ending with ??? i.e. it is merely an expression of opinion seeking insights from others. Insights who read it and then respond.

A) Are you suggesting that I will set a reminder and next LL will offer me house?

Please explain how does this idea of reminder helps here ???

Where did I say Tenancy is not protecting tenant. Increasing notice period required by tenant is being discussed here. Simply unreasonable period of notice.

B) Are you suggesting just because a post is created, all will respond and immediately we have a joint movement seeking a law. It is as if Minister is reading my post exclusively and seeking my feedback to make a law in next 30 days.

Please read what it is intended for. Idea is to share what is happening around the world and why notice required to vacate a house should exceed say beyond a reasonable period of say 30 days. Why 42 days in case of 365+ days tenancy and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jjohnrockk wrote: »
    Why should notice increase every 6 months in a market where tenants queue up for a house.
    So you think that a tenant should be allowed to move out at a moments notice, without having to inform the landlord prior to their moving out?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,084 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

the_syco wrote: »
    So you think that a tenant should be allowed to move out at a moments notice, without having to inform the landlord prior to their moving out?

Wonder does the op feel a reciprocal reduction of the notice landlords must give would be equally fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

In fairness, that's not what the tread title says. For the sake of those on Touch, it is:
    [Tenant Rights:[ FIX DAY notice for Tenants - Why cause a $ loss to Tenant and reduced supply

I tend to agree: why should noticed be longer if you've been there for one day more than yesterday.

Dav010 wrote: »
    Wonder does the op feel a reciprocal reduction of the notice landlords must give would be equally fair.

Please suggest why 28 days notice is NOT FAIR? I'm fine with equal reduction from LL perspective. Its so damn lll logical - Countries with tons of oversupply have fixed 30 days notice.

Reason has to be there though :

1. LL notice period to tenant are increased every few months, assuming that as tenant has lived for years ,it may be unsettling for his/family life to move out immediately. T

Thus, longer the notice, longer the tenant stays.

2. In tenant's case/notice to LL, why should notice increase from 35 days to 42 days or any further.

What a LL has to loose. I'm sure 99% house are on lease in 1 week of ad on daft.ie. If house is good.

Where did I say moments notice. I did say in my post 28 days is fair as an example.

Govt can use statistics from Daft/Rent to see how many days it takes.

Why LL are so sensitive? I'm yet to find one ad of a good house, which is open beyond 10 days under usual circumstances.

House/Apartments are taken i hours on Daft.ie. Only tenants will know the pain.

When LL decide on the basis on who can move in first and other want you to pay in full for 42 days, 1.5 Month rent is a lot of money - Is'nt it unfair?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There is no notice period that's going to keep everyone happy.

Some people will prefer a longer notice period, others will prefer shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

You can mutually agree a shorter notice with your landlord.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Amazing how the tenants want the rules changed now after whinging about landlords and short notice for years. Well suck it up, you got what you want

Edgware wrote: »
    Amazing how the tenants want the rules changed now after whinging about landlords and short notice for years.

I doubt the OP has been elected to speak on behalf of all tenants.

Edgware wrote: »
      Amazing how the tenants want the rules changed now after whinging about landlords and short notice for years. Well suck it up, you got what you want

I am from other nation and when did I ask for it? This is just an idea/thought.

Seems you are one of those LL who crib about 1 day notice.

You suck it up who does not respect view of others and abuse other like mad bull.

Graham wrote: »
      I doubt the OP has been elected to speak on behalf of all tenants.

Agree, I never said I am representing the masses here.

I simply sought an opinion based on logics and may be wrong. May be I have too much time on this idea :-)

Logically, any rationale mind would agree as to why in world someone needs long notice in Dublin.

Why make it a Neutral-Loss case for LL-Tenant, when it can be Neutral -Win for both.

Graham wrote: »
      There is no notice period that's going to keep everyone happy.

Some people will prefer a longer notice period, others will prefer shorter.

Valid point. Just a thought from my side. I'm sure some interesting points will come our way from many. Thanks :-)

That is why an option to decide on shortest possible and longer one can be agreed mutually. Longer will never harm anyone i.e either party.

Landlords & tenants frequently agree to end tenancies on shorter notice periods, a landlord just can't enforce any notice period below the legislated minimums.

Advertisement