Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does having “nice” fixtures/kitchens/bathrooms add value ?

Options
  • 17-05-2020 11:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Please move if this isn’t the right place for this question.
    We are considering moving house in the coming year(s)....our current kitchen and bathroom are functional, but maybe slightly outdated(10 years old)....would it be worth upgrading both before we sell up?
    Just wondering how much extra value would be attributed to a more modern cleaner looking finish.

Thanks in advance
    Maura

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

mauraf wrote: »
    We are considering moving house in the coming year(s)....our current kitchen and bathroom are functional, but maybe slightly outdated(10 years old)....would it be worth upgrading both before we sell up?
    Just wondering how much extra value would be attributed to a more modern cleaner looking finish.

Thanks in advance
    Maura

I would say no it won’t add value eps if the current ones are functional but just outdated. So I wouldn’t put in the money. When I’m looking at houses to buy I know I’m going to put in new bathrooms regardless of how new it is.

Everyone will have different tastes and may want to change slightly the layout of a kitchen so they may remove the kitchen in future anyway. I’ve seen older kitchens and thought a lick of paint on them would buy me time until I want to put in my own kitchen.

I’ve also seen new kitchens in a house but not my style at all so I would plan on removing and have thought it’s a shame to have to do so.

I’ve seen older mahogany style kitchens that were the range 10 - 15 years looking like they have been recently repainted for sale which could be a cheaper option. And carpet upgraded.

I think a new coat of paint in the rooms and outside of house together would be a better use of time and money.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I wouldn’t spend 10k on a kitchen to add 5k in value.
    But I would look at decent fixture and fittings if I was a buyer and say ok , I’ll ouch for this house as I won’t have to spend on those items.

Like buying a car that’s 5-6 years old. You won’t get much extra for the sunroof or the upgraded wheels etc, but it will make the car more attractive and will sell before the one that needs tidying up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

It depends on the state of the current kitchen, bathroom etc

If they were functional, not mouldly and working replacing them would not add value

However if the toilet wasnt flushing, water wasnt coming out of the shower head or the press doors were falling off I would fix them (not necessarily replace). If you dont have flushing toilets taht would definitely take value off your house as the prospective buyer would need to fix it before moving in (even if just moving in prior to doing up) or renting.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

mauraf wrote: »

Thanks in advance
    Maura
    Taste-dependent touches like kitchens will add value in the eyes of some buyers and not for others. For banks and valuers, they tend to add none unless you've made some flat-out upgrades like new wiring.

If you were going to stay in the house for a few more years and would enjoy the changes personally it may be worthwhile, but if you're planning on selling soon then the best financial decision would be to do nothing before the sale and remove the uncertainty around making the upgrade money back.

Perhaps the only exemption would be if the kitchen was so deteriorated that you felt it was off-putting beyond being dated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

You could have a basic paint job done if thought it was needed but other than that no. People will invariably do a complete refurb if they are going to live there and if its for an investor they would be happy if it is functional enough to let quickly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,055 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It definitely adds value. Especially a well designed modern kitchen compared to a builders kitchen than most owners accept.
    But whether it adds more value than it costs to pull off. Nobody can say. It’s not a gimme.

Advertisement