Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Mikel not happy with the press hahaha.

• Moderators Posts: 8,722 ✭✭✭x PyRo

Ah I'm not convinced in him anymore. Playing in a crucial Europa semi-final without a striker was a huge eye-opener.

That was a major fuck up from Arteta - and obviously not his first big error - but when you take on a coach/manager in their 30's with no experience and a large number of players you simply cannot trust, shit will happen.

I look forward to the future under him, I think he'll get it right. I could be wrong - I regularly am :D - but once the right players are in place and the bizarre individual errors stop, hopefully the good stuff he's doing with the group will shine through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Underground

I admire some of the optimism in here, really I do.

It'll take a lot more than a couple of wins coming after our season is effectively ended (and the the pressure that comes with that) to convince me that this coach is the right one to take us forward. I know he's not going anywhere anyway, but are we ready to wipe the slate clean with him just because we beat a Chelsea team with one eye on the CL final at the bridge?

13 league defeats. 55 points after 36 games.

Even that points since Christmas stat makes things sound better than they are. In the 22 games since Christmas we have won 12, drawn 5, lost 5. That's not even near CL qualification form. It's an improvement on the pre Christmas form sure, but things couldn't really have gotten any worse than the 14 games pre christmas (of which we lost *8*!).

I'm sorry, I wish I could get carried away after a nice win like tonight, but far too many alarm bells have been rung this season for me to do so.

x PyRo wrote: »

Reported. :pac:

Nice to get the win, the goal made me wonder if I'd accidentally dropped an hour before hand, colours getting reversed and ****. :pac:

I admire some of the optimism in here, really I do.

It'll take a lot more than a couple of wins coming after our season is effectively ended (and the the pressure that comes with that) to convince me that this coach is the right one to take us forward. I know he's not going anywhere anyway, but are we ready to wipe the slate clean with him just because we beat a Chelsea team with one eye on the CL final at the bridge?

Even that points since Christmas stat makes things sound better than they are. In the 22 games since Christmas we have won 12, drawn 5, lost 5. That's not even near CL qualification form. It's an improvement on the pre Christmas form sure, but things couldn't really have gotten any worse than the 14 games pre christmas (of which we lost *8*!).

I'm sorry, I wish I could get carried away after a nice win like tonight, but far too many alarm bells have been rung this season for me to do so.

I was expecting the good run to round out the season, history repeating itself.

tumblr_o4b15fLONQ1vokxzpo1_500.gifv

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ah I'm not convinced in him anymore. Playing in a crucial Europa semi-final without a striker was a huge eye-opener.

I think his days are numbered. Would be gone long ago at either Chelsea or City. that said, nothing will change unless the Kroenkes are gone... it will be like the Abe Simpson walking in and hanging his coat gif. An endless cycle of mediocrity and repetition

Was it really such a feck up though? Our 2 main strikers were out and would you really trust Nkietiah with the role in such an important game? Some were clamouring for Martinelli to play as a centre forward but he was poor in that role against WBA.

I do think though if Saka had been playing at full back and left Xhaka in his true position against Villarreal we could well be looking forward to a Europa League final even without a centre forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

After I saw the result, I thought surely the thread won't be fickle enough to be full of praise for Arteta after one result....

Lads, ye'll be back slamming him again after after the next defeat.

He's not up to it. The pressure was on last week and they didn't perform. They were terrible, played like it was a friendly. No urgency, no desire, no system.

We've been here before: wins against big teams, it's happened. Inevitable hot takes: Arteta deserves time etc, etc, young coach etc, etc. And then there's a defeat: he's crap, get rid etc, etc.

It was the same story a few weeks ago after the away win against Prague. Arteta was the man, great performance etc, etc. And I said it then if Arsenal don't win the competition the away performance to Prague will be soon forgotten. And it was.

The bottom line is the team has gone further backwards in the 18 months he's been in charge and last week he was beaten in a vital game by the guy who was deemed worse than him at the same job.

I haven't been an Arteta hater all the way, absolutely not. I wasn't entirely convinced he should have been appointed, but once he was I wanted to get behind him and he talked the talk that made you want to believe. But Arsenal have been fcking shyte this season. I thought he had stopped the rot, when he was basically forced into changing up the starting team and things were looking semi promising, but that temporary run of quality looks like a flukish blip.

One victory against a half interested Chelsea side and he's the man again? Ah, c'mon...

Arghus wrote: »
    One victory against a half interested Chelsea side and he's the man again? Ah, c'mon...

Although I agree with a lot of what you said, you didn't even watch the match and yet you can say that Chelsea were half interested?

I watched the match, and I didn't get that impression from them at all. Their top 4 place still isn't guaranteed, with their final 2 matches against Leicester and Villa. If they lose the FA Cup final and Champions League final, their season could be a bit of a let down, after their huge improvements when Tuchel came in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,061 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

After I saw the result,

I stopped reading after this. You're opinion is worth less when you didn't even look at the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

As above, I don't think anyone who previously criticised Arteta and wanted him out last week wants him to stay now.
    But it is of course frustrating after tonight's win as it highlights the ****ty games to lower opposition we should and could have so easily won this season.
    Even if we hadn't lost to Everton with that horrible Leno mistake we would look good for 7th, ignoring all the other bad results, it comes down to such fine margins in the end.

• Advertisement

Despite the win last night, it still highlighted how poor we are in possession. Only 5 shots in the entire match. This should be double digits, no matter who the opposition, and over 20 against bottom-of-the-table teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭omega man

Basil3 wrote: »
    Although I agree with a lot of what you said, you didn't even watch the match and yet you can say that Chelsea were half interested?

I watched the match, and I didn't get that impression from them at all. Their top 4 place still isn't guaranteed, with their final 2 matches against Leicester and Villa. If they lose the FA Cup final and Champions League final, their season could be a bit of a let down, after their huge improvements when Tuchel came in.

It was effectively their B team in fairness.
    Tuchel messed up. It wasn’t a lack of interest but it was a major gamble that back fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭Jmac24128

Despite the win last night, it still highlighted how poor we are in possession. Only 5 shots in the entire match. This should be double digits, no matter who the opposition, and over 20 against bottom-of-the-table teams.

I'm from the opinion of I don't care how many shots we have once we score the ones we do get.

There were days under Wenger when we would have 20+ shots and no goals. Can't shot on site in modern football.

Once we win I don't care how we do it.

Jmac24128 wrote: »
    I'm from the opinion of I don't care how many shots we have once we score the ones we do get.

There were days under Wenger when we would have 20+ shots and no goals. Can't shot on site in modern football.

Once we win I don't care how we do it.

Well the reality is that all teams that score a lot shoot a lot. You can't rely on other teams making howlers in order for you to score.

On the flip side, Chelsea had a lot of shots against us last night, and probably should have scored a couple.

It's all well and good saying that only the result matters, but the likes of Pep and Klopp probably realise that winning matches and scoring goals relies on you taking shots at goal.

Well the reality is that all teams that score a lot shoot a lot. You can't rely on other teams making howlers in order for you to score.

On the flip side, Chelsea had a lot of shots against us last night, and probably should have scored a couple.

It's all well and good saying that only the result matters, but the likes of Pep and Klopp probably realise that winning matches and scoring goals relies on you taking shots at goal.

You don't need 20+ shots to score 3 goals. Can do that with 5/6 too.

We are never going to produce 20+ shots and dominant games with out current situation.

All we got to do is win matches. Can worry about the rest later.

Will take last night performance and results against any of the top 8 teams

I was reading Garth Crook's team of the week on BBC from a few days ago. Saka got into the team from last week, his comment about him did make me laugh about how far we've fallen:
    Bukayo Saka: Regular readers will know what I think of this lad. If Manchester United or Liverpool don't get their hand in their pockets and buy him there is something seriously wrong with them.

Obviously would love us to have 20+ shots but I'm just been realistic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

You don't need 20+ shots to score 3 goals. Can do that with 5/6 too.

We are never going to produce 20+ shots and dominant games with out current situation.

All we got to do is win matches. Can worry about the rest later.

Will take last night performance and results against any of the top 8 teams

Last night's performance doesn't even get us a result against most big teams. We scored a flukey goal then parked the bus for the rest of the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭wonga77

All the same, it was nice to be on the right side of a defensive clusterfcuk for a change

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Just to point out that actually is CL qualifying form at just under 2 points per game. If we had carried that level throughout the season we would finish on 21 wins, 8 draws, 9 defeats giving us 71 points.

As it stands we're 3 points off 5th. It's very hard to judge anything statistically after this freak season. Fewest home wins in league history, fewest draws in league history, most away wins. These are aberrations that will hopefully never be repeated.

The main take away from me was our struggles against the "middle 8". We have a better record than Man United against the top 6. We have an almost flawless record against the bottom 6. Where we fell down was against the Wolves, the Evertons, the Villas, the Burnleys (a pathetic return of one point from those 8 fixtures!!) You need a killer striker to get you through those games and you need a ruthless streak that we have lacked this season. You need your foreign players to understand inherently as Kieran Tierney does that it is not acceptable for Arsenal to lose twice to these lesser lights in a season, and that is transmitted to them by fans in the ground.

Which is why I am willing to give Arteta another season to put it right. This season suited City as every game was a training game and they are technique wise by far the best. Liverpool dropped what 35 points? Yes they missed players but they also missed fans. It's hard to judge any players after a year played behind closed doors. Take Auba for example, a showman, no doubt driven by ego, who has thrived off the adulation of huge crowds for his whole career. He started off grand but as time has wore on and we all forget what life used to be like before this sh1te could he be forgetting that feeling of adulation that drives him as well? Hopefully he can rediscover it as his audience returns, helped on by a few key additions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,635 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Quazzie wrote: »

I stopped reading after this. You're opinion is worth less when you didn't even look at the game.

So what? My entire point was that one game doesn't really change anything.

It's a general point about Arteta, not just about one game. I've watched enough of Arsenal over the year and a half to be able to form an opinion. It's a weak argument to say that because I didn't watch one particular 90 minutes I can't express my view on his tenure. That's basically rubbish.

A lot of the problem, in my view, is that people's opinions on here are almost totally dependent on what's happened in the immediate. Good result: great young manager, needs time etc, etc. Bad result: total joke, no experience, get rid, laughing stock of a club. There's no consistency from many, just whiplash heat of the moment emotional reactions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Underground

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Just to point out that actually is CL qualifying form at just under 2 points per game. If we had carried that level throughout the season we would finish on 21 wins, 8 draws, 9 defeats giving us 71 points.

As it stands we're 3 points off 5th. It's very hard to judge anything statistically after this freak season. Fewest home wins in league history, fewest draws in league history, most away wins. These are aberrations that will hopefully never be repeated.

Fair enough, in this mad season 71 points would get you CL, and last season too. Out of interest I had a look at the PL table over the last few years and there's quite a few instances where you'd need 75+, but I take your point that 71 points is in the CL ballpark.

We may as well get behind him now so from this point I'm going to stop my anti Arteta posting. I've aired my grievances at this stage. Let's see what happens in the summer.

So what? My entire point was that one game doesn't really change anything.

It's a general point about Arteta, not just about one game. I've watched enough of Arsenal over the year and a half to be able to form an opinion. It's a weak argument to say that because I didn't watch one particular 90 minutes I can't express my view on his tenure. That's basically rubbish.

A lot of the problem, in my view, is that people's opinions on here are almost totally dependent on what's happened in the immediate. Good result: great young manager, needs time etc, etc. Bad result: total joke, no experience, get rid, laughing stock of a club. There's no consistency from many, just whiplash heat of the moment emotional reactions.
    Your overall opinion on Arteta is 100% valid, and welcome, but you came in after the game to give an opinion on a game you didn't even see.

By the way, I agree with your second point. The backlash after a loss is laughable at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭adaminho

No two ways about it that is gorgeous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭djan

Not a fan of the washed out pastel. Much prefer a richer colour like the one from 10/11 which I think was the best out of the recent bunch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

I was reading Garth Crook's team of the week on BBC from a few days ago. Saka got into the team from last week, his comment about him did make me laugh about how far we've fallen:

Garth Crooks lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭omega man

djan wrote: »
    Not a fan of the washed out pastel. Much prefer a richer colour like the one from 10/11 which I think was the best out of the recent bunch.

Classic intelligent Arsenal fan commentary. None of your “it’s sh1te” or “its deadly”!! Love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

A nice handy draw for Everton there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭beer enigma

A nice handy draw for Everton there.

We all need to be Wolves fans this week....playing Spurs on Sunday and Everton on Wednesday,, a win in both would throw seventh place really up for grabs

• Advertisement

We all need to be Wolves fans this week....playing Spurs on Sunday and Everton on Wednesday,, a win in both would throw seventh place really up for grabs

Don't know if I want to really be in the Europa Conference league.. what can you win from it? Can u still get into champions League if u win it??

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Don't know if I want to really be in the Europa Conference league.. what can you win from it? Can u still get into champions League if u win it??

Nope, entry into the Europa League I believe for the winners :/

Might be on my own here but I think missing a year in Europe would be a blessing. Concentrate on the league and try to build up some sort of routine and gameplan. It was all too start stop last year and some of the European games were nothing more than a hindrance for all the good we got out of it in the finish.

Necro wrote: »
    Nope, entry into the Europa League I believe for the winners :/

Eeek. Ya would happily give that a miss. Just focus on Saturday to Saturday

it feels like we have been in a Europa League rut recently, just like we were in a Champions League rut for years and years before that. Perhaps we can spend a year out of Europe to reset, really give the youngsters and new additions time to bed in and start challenging again. The danger is though that we may just end up in a slightly lower down rut though. Mid league table rut.

wonga77 wrote: »
    Might be on my own here but I think missing a year in Europe would be a blessing. Concentrate on the league and try to build up some sort of routine and gameplan. It was all too start stop last year and some of the European games were nothing more than a hindrance for all the good we got out of it in the finish.

With under 50 games to play next season there's no excuse for not being comfortably top 4 tbh. If I've been wrong and the players just need a little more coaching and Arteta is the man to do it then he has to do it or GTFO sharpish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,684 ✭✭✭emmetlego

greendom wrote: »
    it feels like we have been in a Europa League rut recently, just like we were in a Champions League rut for years and years before that. Perhaps we can spend a year out of Europe to reset, really give the youngsters and new additions time to bed in and start challenging again. The danger is though that we may just end up in a slightly lower down rut though. Mid league table rut.

Not sure on that, though I do see where you're coming from.

For me, if we did make the Euro conference, then just play the kids and purely concentrate on the league. Even let the coaches take the games if need be and let Mikel take the training sessions. Any Euro football is better than nothing and it gives more money. Go win it with the kids and then focus on getting into the champions league with the full squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,673 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Soooo, are we likely to get into this Europa league lite yokey?

I thought we were out of Europe for the first time in 20 odd years?

What's going on?

OmegaGene wrote: »
    7th spot gets in apparently
    is this the new version of the inter toto cup that was around a while ago ?

a bit better than that I think. It was played in the off-season, and some premier league clubs would bring in journeymen to play in it!

Defnitely a 3rd tier European competition though

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Soooo, are we likely to get into this Europa league lite yokey?

I thought we were out of Europe for the first time in 20 odd years?

What's going on?

Team in 7th gets it, currently Spurs with 56 points and 35 games played identical to Everton in 8th

We're 9th on 55 points with 36 games played.

So not out yet but we need to get more points in our last 3 games than those 2 do in their last 4

• Advertisement

With under 50 games to play next season there's no excuse for not being comfortably top 4 tbh. If I've been wrong and the players just need a little more coaching and Arteta is the man to do it then he has to do it or GTFO sharpish.

You think our players are good enough to be "comfortably top 4". :eek:

We'd have to have a tremendous summer of transfer activity for us to be in that category in my opinion.

greendom wrote: »
    Team in 7th gets it, currently Spurs with 56 points and 35 games played identical to Everton in 8th

We're 9th on 55 points with 36 games played.

So not out yet but we need to get more points in our last 3 games than those 2 do in their last 4

They've three left, of which we need both of them to win only one. And we need Spurs to lose one or they'd finish ahead on goal difference, Everton can have a win and two draws. All of this dependent on us winning both of our matches.

For Europa League we need all of the above to happen plus West Ham to lose two of their 3 remaining games.

It's a very long shot still and the only purpose of that Europa Conference would be to get game time into youngsters and fringe players. Could definitely take it or leave it.

For those interested the remaining fixtures:

Week 36:
    Tottenham v Wolves
    Everton v Sheffield United
    Brighton v West Ham

Week 37:
    Crystal Palace v Arsenal
    Everton v Wolves
    Tottenham v Villa
    West Brom v West Ham

Week 38:
    Arsenal v Brighton
    West Ham v Southampton
    Man City v Everton
    Leicester v Tottenham

On paper without a complete implosion West Ham should be able to guarantee themselves Europa League given their remaining fixtures.

Which means Europa Conference is realistically the only gig in town for the remaining three. The whole thing has a bang of Spurs or Everton off it, I'd nearly leave it to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭darego

We'd have to have a tremendous summer of transfer activity for us to be in that category in my opinion.

I agree. We need a huge overhaul of players this summer along with an experienced manager, and them 2 factors imo are the only way we will possibly get into the top 4 next season.

If we see a big overhaul of players this summer and keep Arteta as manager, I can see us also progressing but maybe scraping 5th or 6th for a Europa league spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

2ndcoming wrote: »
    They've three left, of which we need both of them to win only one. And we need Spurs to lose one or they'd finish ahead on goal difference, Everton can have a win and two draws. All of this dependent on us winning both of our matches.

For Europa League we need all of the above to happen plus West Ham to lose two of their 3 remaining games.

It's a very long shot still and the only purpose of that Europa Conference would be to get game time into youngsters and fringe players. Could definitely take it or leave it.

Could an under pressure manager afford to just play fringe players or would he have to put out his best team to ensure qualifying for Europa league?

While I want Arsenal to play in Europe, I'd much prefer to give the players a proper break and have them be fresh for the start of the next season. They already had a short break last year and I'd be worried that 2 years in a row of poor recovery would lead to more injuries to key players at key stages next season

If the excuse for our miserable season is that Arteta hasn't had a chance to coach the team (which I don't particularly buy) then that's gotta account for an extra 8/10 points next season. Add another 8 (not particularly ambitious) for the extra time off and lack of fatigue and there's no excuse left to not hit 2ppg.
    He'll be there 2 years by Christmas, **** or get off the pot.

I love how Luiz says "even if they did the Brazil int’l defender wouldn’t have signed". Like a young wan who was rejected by a fella then says she didn't really want to shift him anyways :p

And yet, as bad and uninspiring as we have been, we're still only 9 points off Chelsea.
    Cut out some of the ridiculous errors and create/convert a few more chances and we could easily be much higher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

wonga77 wrote: »
    And yet, as bad and uninspiring as we have been, we're still only 9 points off Chelsea.
    Cut out some of the ridiculous errors and create/convert a few more chances and we could easily be much higher.

Apparently we're third in points since Christmas and if we win our remaining two games, have a chance of being second to City since then. That's crazy, because it doesn't feel like we've performed better than Chelsea, Leicester and Liverpool. There's also some very contentious VAR decisions recently (Villa, Everton & Fulham) and we could've won those otherwise.

I'm not trying to suggest we're going to challenge for the top four next season or that Arteta will be the success we'd like him to be. It will be very difficult. It just demonstrates how much that run of one win in ten before Christmas completely ruined our season and that the changes Arteta made in the game against Chelsea on St Stephen's Day turned our season around, even if it doesn't feel that way.

It's Friday and the glass is half-full. So much more full than last Friday. I'll drink to that.

Advertisement