Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Football League Thread 2020/2021 - Championship, League 1, League 2

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,477 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

dfx- wrote: »
    Wycombe in eighth have a game in hand and are only one point off third spot (Oxford I think). Would that not affect it?

Hopefully Wycombe don't go up, awful side who have been on the slide in form since Christmas anyway. Edit: As are Cheltenham: "you must be *this* tall to get into the team". Like a GAA side.

Below is the part of the piece from The Athletic. Only one positional change overall.

This season across the Football League, the home team has won 46 per cent of the time, with away teams winning only 26 per cent of the games. Over the last six EFL seasons, the average PPG at home is 1.55, compared to 1.19 away.

Under this method, which has been used to decide the tables in English grassroots club rugby union, each club’s PPG would be worked out for their home and away fixtures, then multiplied by 22 for League One, which had 23 clubs this season because of Bury’s demise last summer, and 23 for League Two and then added together to reach a total for the season.

The Athletic understands that a League One club has prepared a detailed explanation of this method, with a full set of final tables, and emailed it to the EFL board.

With the EFL admitting there is no chance of staging its traditional end-of-season play-offs in Leagues One and Two, the top three sides in the League One will be promoted to the Championship, with three going down to League Two, while four come up from League Two and only one goes down, to restore the EFL to its full quota of 72 teams.

The weighted PPG method does not change the top three in League One at all, meaning Coventry City would be crowned champions, with Rotherham United and Oxford United joining them in the Championship next season. The current bottom three — Tranmere Rovers, Southend United and Bolton Wanderers — would still be the bottom three, although Bolton would climb one spot, leaving Southend in last place.

In League Two, Swindon Town would leapfrog Crewe Alexandra into first place, with Plymouth Argyle staying in third but Cheltenham Town climbing over Exeter City to claim the final promotion spot. Stevenage would remain in last place, despite the seven-point deduction Macclesfield Town received on Thursday for failing to fulfil a fixture or pay their players on time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Mushy wrote: »
    In League Two, Swindon Town would leapfrog Crewe Alexandra into first place, with Plymouth Argyle staying in third but Cheltenham Town climbing over Exeter City to claim the final promotion spot. Stevenage would remain in last place, despite the seven-point deduction Macclesfield Town received on Thursday for failing to fulfil a fixture or pay their players on time.

How bad must you be to not survive a rival losing seven points and the end of season being calculated instead of on the pitch:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

How bad must you be to not survive a rival losing seven points and the end of season being calculated instead of on the pitch:pac:

Macclesfield might well disappear and Stevenage will keep their place. Might be a few conference teams getting the shout to get ready for League 2 before the new season starts.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

I think the small the club, the better chance you have getting through it and there are some very small teams in league two. Not much difference between Barrow and Harrogate to Morecambe and Crawley. And they'll not be outbid on players.

The league most in danger is the Championship I think. There's big clubs there with big stadiums to fill that won't be filled and big contracts committed to and debt from end to end.

I'd hope Northampton are safe for a while at least, after the good cup run, but I don't entirely trust the chairman (who admittedly saved us from bankruptcy after Chris Wilder's plea) with how the bank balance looks. He says its okay, but I've seen enough chairmen come and go who've left us potless.

Another flashback, 27 years ago today, came from two nil down, needing a win, to avoid dropping out of the football league against a team in promotion hunt. Wasn't there sadly.
    https://twitter.com/ntfc/status/1258802797740515329?s=20

Forest Green Rovers chairman has said he still thinks the league is going to be completed, and he's not aware of anything that says otherwise. Thinks the report mentioned in the Athletic is incorrect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,264 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Online memorial tomorrow for 35 years of the Bradford fire

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Not an expert in football finances but would be shame to see L1 and L2 end. Don't know if more games on TV and selling internet subscriptions would get anyway close to providing enough for clubs to survive on.

The interesting thing will be what certain squads look like after the summer, what will contracts look like and what sort of transfer fees will be paid. As a Birmingham fan was looking forward to a fairly profitable summer, but I doubt many clubs will now want to be spending 20-30 million on Jude Bellingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,881 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Championship, Leagues 1 & 2 teams get something like £100m in TV money between them a season however they need about £1b a season to survive I heard on on a podcast today. So without fans going to games TV money alone won't save them and they will not survive. They are talking about having to shut down and release everyone and then hopefully they may be able to restart again when a vaccine is found and distributed.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Liberta Per Gli Ultra

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Don't know if more games on TV and selling internet subscriptions would get anyway close to providing enough for clubs to survive on.

Cutting the insane salaries throughout the english football pyramid would be more to the point. That would include those who leech off the sport in the background (agents, consultants) as well as the players and coaches.

The opportunity is there to make long-needed changes to a sport that was already broken, if the will is there.

• Advertisement

Online memorial tomorrow for 35 years of the Bradford fire

Thanks for the reminder.

Along with Heysel and Hillsborough, a day that should never be forgotten in the football calendar. When you read about it, the 12 year old who survived but lost his younger brother, father, uncle and grandfather, when you see the images, the supporter wandering around on fire, it's just shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Baseball72

rodge68 wrote: »
    Thanks, never heard that, must check DCFC Forums.As a Derby fan that would be good news, any investment would be needed at this stage, Mel Morris must be getting sick of losing money..

Derby fan here.... The Dell interest was mentioned a few weeks ago but nothing in recent days unless I've missed it. Mel wants out but doubt if anything will happen until this season is done and dusted - whenever that will be.

No surprise that Peterborough, Oxford, Sunderland, Portsmouth and Fleetwood plus Ipswich have objected to the ending of League One with the state of the table.

The playoff chasing teams..

No surprise that Peterborough, Oxford, Sunderland, Portsmouth and Fleetwood plus Ipswich have objected to the ending of League One with the state of the table.

The playoff chasing teams..

Wonder will they have enough support from the remainder to finish the season, can't see it myself. I don't like Oxford or Peterborough so anything that annoys them is fine by me.

League Two officially done (well, once EFL sign off the plan), teams in the play offs now stay there, just Cheltenham move up to fourth above Exeter, which means Cheltenham is who the Cobblers get in the play-offs, should they go ahead. I think.

No relegation, but presumably someone from conference needs to come up to fill void left by Bury.

I don't how many they need - is it a two thirds majority or a simple majority or unanimous to close the season. It seems to have been just 'a majority' in League Two. Maybe they'll settle for having the playoff like League Two want, it would suit the four in the current 3rd-7th spots, all four currently objecting.

8 teams objecting is over a third of the clubs, so they wouldn't be far off that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The next season of Sunderland 'Til I Die looks like it's shaping up to be a cracker. :o

I don't how many they need - is it a two thirds majority or a simple majority or unanimous to close the season. It seems to have been just 'a majority' in League Two. Maybe they'll settle for having the playoff like League Two want, it would suit the four in the current 3rd-7th spots, all four currently objecting.

8 teams objecting is over a third of the clubs, so they wouldn't be far off that.

51% is all that's required apparently. Interesting it's unweighted points per game at this stage.

https://twitter.com/martynziegler/status/1261307440504516608?s=20

Northampton Town players and coaching staff forgoing their bonuses if the playoffs go ahead. Pretty big deal for League Two footballers in this current climate to decline what would be quite a good payday.

On the back of a decent number of fans saying they don't want a refund on their season ticket for the 9 missed home games. They've turned into a very good community club these last few years, still bang average at football sadly :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Northampton Town players and coaching staff forgoing their bonuses if the playoffs go ahead. Pretty big deal for League Two footballers in this current climate to decline what would be quite a good payday.

On the back of a decent number of fans saying they don't want a refund on their season ticket for the 9 missed home games. They've turned into a very good community club these last few years, still bang average at football sadly :)

Same as my view on the LOI thread. If youre a fan of a club at a level where theres a good chance the club could go bang in all of this, there isnt really a case to be looking for a refund unless your really stuck for cash. Its time like this people are going to be needing to be giving money to clubs to keep them going. Few thousand people giving a fiver or a tenner could well be enough to save clubs.

• Advertisement

Big blow to Charlton's chances of staying up.

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1267415207447592960

Good to see things return to normal at Birmingham with a brief period of normality on and off the pitch replaced by another strange managerial departure. I don't think the club were over going to be more than a lower midtable side under Clotet but it was tough circumstances for him to work under with the tactics, formation, and often the team picked for him by the board. Hopefully the board give the next coach a bit more of a free reign as there should be some money to spend this summer which should hopefully attract a decent name. I do think it will just end up being Craig Gardner as head coach, which would be something.

In other news, good to see the list of times published. Fair few games on Sky. Not sure yet if it will be worth shelling out to watch the individual games on the club website.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Good to see things return to normal at Birmingham with a brief period of normality on and off the pitch replaced by another strange managerial departure. I don't think the club were over going to be more than a lower midtable side under Clotet but it was tough circumstances for him to work under with the tactics, formation, and often the team picked for him by the board. Hopefully the board give the next coach a bit more of a free reign as there should be some money to spend this summer which should hopefully attract a decent name. I do think it will just end up being Craig Gardner as head coach, which would be something.

In other news, good to see the list of times published. Fair few games on Sky. Not sure yet if it will be worth shelling out to watch the individual games on the club website.

Is Massimo Cellino taking over Birmingham? Jesus the circus would be arriving to town if so

Mushy wrote: »
    Is Massimo Cellino taking over Birmingham? Jesus the circus would be arriving to town if so

Only saw rumours of that today. I doubt it, no sign that the owners want to sell. However he would be a perfect match for Birmingham

From what I saw in the cup games in the 4th round, Birmingham looked like the League One side and were ferociously lucky to get through with freak goals and freak misses.

It looked like it was give the ball to Bellingham and then...who knows.

• Advertisement

League One and Two decided by majority vote and on unweighted points per game. Coventry and Rotherham go up, Tranmere join Southend and Bolton.

Playoffs to be held, Wycombe jump into the playoff because of their game in hand which was away to Coventry due to Coventry's FA Cup run, a team they've not won a point against since 1993 in ten games and lost 1-4 at home to this season.

League One and Two decided by majority vote and on unweighted points per game. Coventry and Rotherham go up, Tranmere join Southend and Bolton.

Playoffs to be held, Wycombe jump into the playoff because of their game in hand which was away to Coventry due to Coventry's FA Cup run, a team they've not won a point against since 1993 in ten games and lost 1-4 at home to this season.

Heartbreaking for Peterborough :pac::pac::pac:

it's even worse for them - the last game in league one was a 2-2 draw between Fleetwood and Portsmouth. If either side had lost, Peterborough would've been in the playoff now.

Hard to believe Fleetwood or Oxford could be in the Championship and Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich and Blackpool are in league one

it's even worse for them - the last game in league one was a 2-2 draw between Fleetwood and Portsmouth. If either side had lost, Peterborough would've been in the playoff now.

Hard to believe Fleetwood or Oxford could be in the Championship and Sunderland, Portsmouth, Ipswich and Blackpool are in league one

Plenty of good trips for Northampton if they somehow win the playoffs. Unlikely though it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭markest

• Advertisement

markest wrote: »

Mmmmmm, nostalgia. I lived 5 minutes walk from that ground.

Big one tonight, first leg of the play off semi final.

Northampton 2nd best for most of the first half sadly.

Started well 2nd half but Curle killed off any momentum with his substitutions/tactics. That second goal has finished the tie I should think. We won't score twice away.

Northampton-Cheltenham definitely a more entertaining game than Colchester-Exeter. Half time came at the wrong time for Northampton as definitely building some momentum at the end of the first half. Will be a tough challenge to overturn that result in the second leg particularly with the lack of match fitness and sharpness.

Stand by for a thrilling comeback by Northampton tonight. Keith Curle reminds us a two nil lead is hard to defend (for some reason).

Cobblers!

Stand by for a thrilling comeback by Northampton tonight. Keith Curle reminds us a two nil lead is hard to defend (for some reason).

Cobblers!

Should be level there with that free header. Only in and out of game, but anything I've seen it's mostly Northampton

Fcukin hell! Hold on now!

The second goal was funny...that third is shambolic defending. Some turnaround

What a performance! Benefitted from some dodgy defending but certainly deserving winners.

Delighted. Really didn't see it coming after the first leg but Cheltenham froze and we played pretty well. Final next Monday.

• Advertisement

Boom, working so missed it. Can't wait for the final. Was at the Swansea & Grimsby finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,508 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Relegation threatened Middlesboro sack Woodgate.
    Neil Warnock appointed to end of season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,810 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Relegation threatened Middlesboro sack Woodgate.
    Neil Warnock appointed to end of season.

Over a decade since he took his 'last job in football' with Palace:P

markest wrote: »
    Can't wait for the final. Was at the Swansea & Grimsby finals.

So was I, and the Bradford game (unfortunately).

League Two final today, hopefully a good game, that hopefully the Cobblers win.

We should get chances, just need to finish well, high scoring game maybe :)

Turned on just now and first thing I see is the goal. Should make it an open game anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Great result for Northampton. Congrats..Dean Moxey getting sent off for Exeter didn't help, he deserved red..

rodge68 wrote: »
    Great result for Northampton. Congrats..Dean Moxey getting sent off for Exeter didn't help, he deserved red..

That was a mad tackle altogether, talk about losing the head

• Advertisement

Another great performance by Northampton! Easy enough in the end, Moxey absolutely losing the head ended the match. Morton is a brilliant player, battles for everything.

Advertisement