Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,046 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Did we not win the Europa League game there or was that a draw. The one where Coutinho scored a beaut.

It was a draw, but as it was the 2nd leg, the Coutinho goal was effectively the winner in the tie being an away goal just before HT.

I can still remember it well. St Patrick's Day, a day on the beer. A pub full of Man Utd fans and the place went so silent, you could hear the ball hit the back of the net. Lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Did we not win the Europa League game there or was that a draw. The one where Coutinho scored a beaut.
    1-1 draw. Martial scored a penalty and Coutinho equalised before half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,343 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Gbear wrote: »
    I think part of it is that he scores very few hattricks.

He has 2 hattricks and he's scored 4 once.

As a player who scores about 2 games in 3 in the league, he mostly does it one goal at a time, and doesn't seem to have much streakyness to his scoring, so he kinda fades into the background. He's scored 2 or 3 goals every couple of weeks since he's signed, and it doesn't seem to matter how he's actually performing during the games, the goals happen at the same rate.

he's also the only guy I can remember who has the fact he scores penalties held against him.

Carra used it for picking Son in his Team of The Season only just last week. it's a weird one that I've heard for quite a while now.

Henry scored penalties.
    Ronaldo scored penalties.
    Van Nistelrooy scored penalties.
    Shearer scored penalties.
    Kane scores penalties.
    Aguero scores penalties.

i've never really heard 'he scores plenty of penalties though' with any of them.

so as I say, the narrative on Salah is genuinely mystifying. nevermind all the stuff where until this season he was called a 'system player'. i mean, talk about scraping the fúcking barrel for a way to discredit his genius.

anyway lads, a day will come when he's gone. enjoy him. he has long cemented his position as one of the top 3 of my favourite players to ever wear the shirt.

SlickRic wrote: »
    ........... nevermind all the stuff where until this season he was called a 'system player'. i mean, talk about scraping the fúcking barrel for a way to discredit his genius...........

Plenty fúcking folk in here reckon twas Bobby's fúcking endeavour facilitating Mo fúcking scoring, this season has debunked that utter fúcking rubbish also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

he's also the only guy I can remember who has the fact he scores penalties held against him.

Carra used it for picking Son in his Team of The Season only just last week. it's a weird one that I've heard for quite a while now.

Henry scored penalties.
    Ronaldo scored penalties.
    Van Nistelrooy scored penalties.
    Shearer scored penalties.
    Kane scores penalties.
    Aguero scores penalties.

i've never really heard 'he scores plenty of penalties though' with any of them.

so as I say, the narrative on Salah is genuinely mystifying. nevermind all the stuff where until this season he was called a 'system player'. i mean, talk about scraping the fúcking barrel for a way to discredit his genius.

anyway lads, a day will come when he's gone. enjoy him. he has long cemented his position as one of the top 3 of my favourite players to ever wear the shirt.

Plus it's not like Salah get's to take a ton of penalties anyway! We're usually bottom of the penalty-award charts among the top teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

A Man Utd supporter I know always slagged Salah off because "he doesn't score in the big games", by which he actually meant Salah hadn't scored against Man Utd. His 4 goals in the last 4 appearances against them has shut the fool up.

Personally I think there is an element of prejudice in how Salah is treated by the British media. When he made the front cover of Time Magazine a few years ago, one of the pundits made a comment to the effect that he should be judged on his titles not appearances on magazine covers. He's an iconic figure for Muslims and he's down to earth, there's no ego involved. In response to that there is a narrative that he dives and cheats etc. Portraying Salah as a player who is squeaky clean doesn't get headlines but deriding him serves such a purpose. Certainly if he was English or possibly Western European they would be fawning over him but he's Egyptian and that's a problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,890 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like we will win the fair play league for the 5th season running under Klopp.

Even when it feels like Thiago on a one man mission to do a Lucas and get booked every game.

In fact it is Fab with the most 6 and Thiago second with 4, Kabak with 4 making up the top 3.

There are times I really wish we were more cynical and picked up more cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

We really are the good guys in world football.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭plastic glass

Talisman wrote: »
    A Man Utd supporter I know always slagged Salah off because "he doesn't score in the big games", by which he actually meant Salah hadn't scored against Man Utd. His 4 goals in the last 4 appearances against them has shut the fool up.

Personally I think there is an element of prejudice in how Salah is treated by the British media. When he made the front cover of Time Magazine a few years ago, one of the pundits made a comment to the effect that he should be judged on his titles not appearances on magazine covers. He's an iconic figure for Muslims and he's down to earth, there's no ego involved. In response to that there is a narrative that he dives and cheats etc. Portraying Salah as a player who is squeaky clean doesn't get headlines but deriding him serves such a purpose. Certainly if he was English or possibly Western European they would be fawning over him but he's Egyptian and that's a problem.

I would like to say it’s baffling the way the English media treat him but sadly it isn’t. It’s racism pure and simple.

Hopefully west ham drop points tomorrow, the less teams that have a chance of getting top4 the better IMO at this stage.
    We might need a draw & 2 wins to be enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭Damien360

I would like to say it’s baffling the way the English media treat him but sadly it isn’t. It’s racism pure and simple.

It’s not racism. He is just not English. We view the PL through the eyes of the British media. Jordan Pickford is touted as brilliant before every England game FFS. Salah does not seem to have a media profile in the western media. But look at his Middle Eastern profile and it’s huge. Lots of “stars” that are non-English need a English media profile to get them noticed by the English media. I wonder how much is down to the inability to use google translate by that same media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,344 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Em. No ego?

Have ye seen that awful ad that's currently playing? :p

I find it difficult to dislike him as much as I have Liverpool's main players previously though I must say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,068 ✭✭✭MarkY91

Ah jaysus. I've heard it all now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

I don't think it's racism, it's probably a bit of fat free xenophobia.

Folwer and Carra have bought Melwood where they will use it for their own academies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Noticed Konate was an unused sub in the German Cup final last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭Damien360

paulie21 wrote: »
    Noticed Konate was an unused sub in the German Cup final last night.

He gets an awful lot of injuries it seems

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ibrahima-konate/verletzungen/spieler/357119[url][/url]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,719 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Any word on Kabak,will we see him again this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,988 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Damien360 wrote: »
    He gets an awful lot of injuries it seems

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ibrahima-konate/verletzungen/spieler/357119[url][/url]

It’s not as bad as it looks - the Torn Muscle Fibre one that’s listed as 3, was actually one injury with the odd sub appearance to test it that breaks it up.

So it’s one bad injury, and then a few typical ones.

It’s also worth noting his sheer size and speed, combined with his age - with that sort of pressure on growing joints, injuries aren’t too surprising. But in theory it’s something that just settling physically into his ‘man body’ should kind of fix itself.

That’s the optimistic point of view at least. Would have to expect the club have done their due diligence on him too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Our record against the traditional Top 6 this season is really good considering.

Chelsea Away - W
    Arsenal Home - W
    Man City Away - D
    Spurs Home - W
    United Home - D
    Spurs Away - W
    Man City Home - L
    Chelsea Home - L
    Arsenal Away - W
    United Away - W

20 out of 30 points.

2ppg.... Very decent even accepting spurs & Arsenal are sh1te of late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

rob316 wrote: »
    Our record against the traditional Top 6 this season is really good considering.

Chelsea Away - W
    Arsenal Home - W
    Man City Away - D
    Spurs Home - W
    United Home - D
    Spurs Away - W
    Man City Home - L
    Chelsea Home - L
    Arsenal Away - W
    United Away - W

20 out of 30 points.

13 out of 15 on the road.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Keita is wanted by Simeone is being reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭tomglsn

Take him away please. Very excited when he was signed but some players don’t suit certain leagues. I think he will fly it if he goes to La Liga.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,481 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    It’s not as bad as it looks - the Torn Muscle Fibre one that’s listed as 3, was actually one injury with the odd sub appearance to test it that breaks it up.

So it’s one bad injury, and then a few typical ones.

It’s also worth noting his sheer size and speed, combined with his age - with that sort of pressure on growing joints, injuries aren’t too surprising. But in theory it’s something that just settling physically into his ‘man body’ should kind of fix itself.

That’s the optimistic point of view at least. Would have to expect the club have done their due diligence on him too.

And you’d hope the optimistic point of view is the correct one. Sadly, Konate may be another Daniel Agger. A gifted defender whose body simply wasn’t cut out for top level football in the long term.

Sports science has come a long way in the few years since Agger finished up with Liverpool though, so there’s every reason to be hopeful over Konate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

If it's a decent offer, I'd take his hands off!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,587 ✭✭✭brevity

Simeone!? That’s a bit unexpected considering the demands that Simeone has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

A man can dream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

He doesn't strike me as Simeone type player, but, would gladly see the back of him as he's never available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭RonanG86

If it's a decent offer, I'd take his hands off!

If it's any offer, I'd take his hand off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,269 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

What do you Liverpool fans think of the antics of Mane and Salah ref: subbing and rotation?

While I consider Mane's recent flounce out of character, does it hint towards a sense of entitlement amongst some of the players?

Salah has always been a shake the head, selfish kind of player IMO. A proven scorer for sure, but I'd be disappointed by any player of my team who disrespected not only the coaches decision so flagrantly, but also, what it infers about the perceived ability of the player coming on. If I was coming on for Salah, I'd tell him to go **** himself if he was tutting and shaking his head.

I'd love to see Klopp and pool revive themselves and regain their phenomenal recent 2 season form, but I think Salah will go this window.

Think it's awesome, it's what I want to see. Those two are among the most competitive, aggressive and driven footballers I've ever seen. I want them snarling and irate if they get dropped or subbed not bouncing off the pitch happy with things. They've tonnes of confidence in their own ability, even when they're playing poorly I never see them giving up.

Klopp was actually quite supportive of Mane in the press conference yesterday comparing him to himself during his playing days. He said that he was actually worse. I think he realises he shouldn't have approached Mane when he did and tensions were high. When he saw the reaction he backed off pretty quick. Imagine Mourinho in that situation, there'd be fingers poked in eyes I reckon.

Sky tried to make a big deal about it and Klopp killed it dead.

Aggressive?
    Two lambs on the pitch.
    Never irate or snarl at refs or opposition.

• Advertisement

definition of aggressive: behaving or done in a determined and forceful way

pretty much describes their style of play

they're always upset or some might say irate when things don't go their way, I wasn't suggesting they go around attacking people

Dunno where you got the inference of folk being attacked from... Manes reaction to klopp, he doesnt direct any of that at the opposition or referees.

Mane hasnt been forceful or determined on the pitch for 80% of the season.... He's been largely a passenger. If jota was fit for 2021 sadio would have seen plenty of the bench.

His reaction to klopp was petulance, not irate or snarling.

He's been sh1te all season, acting like a child towards the manager doesn't alter that, don't understand the circle jerk TBH.

PS..... What WOKE dictionary provides that definition of aggression :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,735 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Storm in a teacup.

Good to see Mane cares about not being picked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

The only scenario I see Salah leaving this summer is if we miss out on top 4 and a massive offer comes in for him, I think FSG would probably sell him in that case. I don't mind Salah being pissed at being taken off as he's generally our best chance of a goal even when playing poorly. Mane on the other hand has been piss poor for nearly all of the season and kills so many of our attacks, so has no real right to be pissed at others, he needs to look at his own form first before taking it out on others. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Mane went in the summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Mo will sign contract extension

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

What do you Liverpool fans think of the antics of Mane and Salah ref: subbing and rotation?

While I consider Mane's recent flounce out of character, does it hint towards a sense of entitlement amongst some of the players?

Salah has always been a shake the head, selfish kind of player IMO. A proven scorer for sure, but I'd be disappointed by any player of my team who disrespected not only the coaches decision so flagrantly, but also, what it infers about the perceived ability of the player coming on. If I was coming on for Salah, I'd tell him to go **** himself if he was tutting and shaking his head.

I'd love to see Klopp and pool revive themselves and regain their phenomenal recent 2 season form, but I think Salah will go this window.

I think you might be projecting your wants and perceptions onto them there, particularly Salah.

Salah is a winner and winners never want to leave the field of play.

Like Roy Keane said that time "rotation is fine, but don't rotate me, rotate Gary Neville". Its a winners mentality. You can see it in certain players, its not that they don't respect others in their squad or their managers decisions (they aren't Kepa! ) they just have such self belief that they feel they need to be on the pitch all the time.

It well might be disheartening for some players coming on for Salah, especially if they didn't know him. But i'd say all the squad knows what he's like.

And as was said previously, i'd much rather have someone like Salah than someone like Origi at the other end of the spectrum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Sell Salah and we are right back at the start. Utd brought in Cavanni at 35 and he has has a great season. Kane is 28, joint top scorer and is being touted around to UTD etc as an option.

Why on earth we would sell out absolute best player by a serious distance is beyond me.

He is immense and I think he will continue to be. Selling him would be an error and a step backwards in terms of the owners commitment for me. Sanction the money to keep him AND bring in reinforcements. Otherwise its back to square one and we are a selling club

I will say it again the most important signing under Klopp.

I really enjoy when we play every three days.

Giving Nat loads of props.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Trent was just fantastic the other night, never seen a right back control a game,
    I wonder what position he himself would like to end up at,
    People talk about hin in CM but does it suits him, at right back he always has time and space in CM he wouldn't get that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

[HTML][/HTML]
    jebidiah wrote: »
    Sell Salah and we are right back at the start. Utd brought in Cavanni at 35 and he has has a great season. Kane is 28, joint top scorer and is being touted around to UTD etc as an option.

Why on earth we would sell out absolute best player by a serious distance is beyond me.

He is immense and I think he will continue to be. Selling him would be an error and a step backwards in terms of the owners commitment for me. Sanction the money to keep him AND bring in reinforcements. Otherwise its back to square one and we are a selling club

Im actually glad United resigned Cavani, He is great but he cant play twoce a week and chances are he picks up injuries, His wages mean they wont sign another CF and more importantly they wont sign Kane or Haaland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,284 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Trent was just fantastic the other night, never seen a right back control a game,
    I wonder what position he himself would like to end up at,
    People talk about hin in CM but does it suits him, at right back he always has time and space in CM he wouldn't get that

Leave him where he is, he has plenty of space to kill the opposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,503 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Like Robbo, I think Mane was good until Xmas.

I don't agree that he was been terrible all season, recency bias there I feel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Mane's decline this season has been a bit overdone. He has dropped quite a bit. But he still has 9 goals & is still one of the best in the leage & beating his man 1v1.

Sterling,Rashford,Greenwood(uo unti a few weeks ago),Traore,Werner,Havertz,Pulisic all been poor for large spells, Even Son after an icredible start has been poor last few months

Not many forwards have been consistent this season at all.

The lack of pre season has been key. It feels like there has been this huge long season since last June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Can't agree with the earlier poster saying Mane hasn't been determined or hardworking this season.... That's BS, and is outcome based analysis at best.

He hasn't been effective certainly, he's been off form, but his attitude on the field hasn't been bad, he's continued to work, and in many ways might actually be trying too hard.

With forwards, they have to be loose free in their movement. My opinion is that, particularly in front of goal, Mane has been uptight and nervy since hie form dipped, and has been over thinking his finishing rather than being natural and instinctive. It happens, and players can drop into a cycle of ever decreasing circles, they try even harder and concentrate more and make the problem worse!

Don't know what the solution is, maybe a summer break will help him reset, but he'll need to get back to the relaxed, instinctive player he was or he'll fall away.

I wouldn't make too much of his tantrum the other night, just a frustrated player blowing off steam.

• Advertisement
Advertisement