Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Celtic FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,322 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Whoever takes over as manager has a massive job to get a half decent team out next season, so much lacking in terms of quality and attitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Ouch. I feel for you lot right now. I remember a 0-5 at OT around the 93 or 94 period; Kanchelskis got a hat trick from memory, and Simon Tracey was in goal for us that night. Christ, that hurt. No one likes getting their arse kicked by their local rivals. It eventually took 17 years to exorcise the ghosts of that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

RoryMac wrote: »
    Whoever takes over as manager has a massive job to get a half decent team out next season, so much lacking in terms of quality and attitude.

It's not just the manager with the massive job to do, the whole club from top to bottom will see key people exit. I really don't see thing being fixed with just a managerial change. Who knows what our finances will look like for next season and what calibre of player that will allow us to bring in. There's also the issue that most of that starting 11 don't want to be here, we may have to concentrate our spending on quantity rather than individual quality. We're on for a massive reset and that's going to take time to get the whole club back on track.

It's not just the manager with the massive job to do, the whole club from top to bottom will see key people exit. I really don't see thing being fixed with just a managerial change. Who knows what our finances will look like for next season and what calibre of player that will allow us to bring in. There's also the issue that most of that starting 11 don't want to be here, we may have to concentrate our spending on quantity rather than individual quality. We're on for a massive reset and that's going to take time to get the whole club back on track.

Absolutely not just the manager that has to change, our recruitment has been a disaster for a long time with millions wasted on projects when one or two decent players a year would've kept things going.

Our youth development is non existent with any half decent player jumping ship because we don't give chances to them.

This will take a few years to turn around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Absolutely not just the manager that has to change, our recruitment has been a disaster for a long time with millions wasted on projects when one or two decent players a year would've kept things going.

Our youth development is non existent with any half decent player jumping ship because we don't give chances to them.

This will take a few years to turn around.

The club has been mismanaged for years and anyone who complained about it was dismissed as entitled because of our domestic success. There was a great opportunity to build something, but no. Staying just ahead of domestic opposition was the only goal. Penny pinching on players that would have improved us while spending millions on rubbish like you said. Probably cost us more in the long run. The only good managerial appointment in 10 years was Rodgers. But hey, at least we have a set of shiny disco lights to show for it all.

The club has been mismanaged for years and anyone who complained about it was dismissed as entitled because of our domestic success. There was a great opportunity to build something, but no. Staying just ahead of domestic opposition was the only goal. Penny pinching on players that would have improved us while spending millions on rubbish like you said. Probably cost us more in the long run. The only good managerial appointment in 10 years was Rodgers. But hey, at least we have a set of shiny disco lights to show for it all.

I've certainly been guilty of overlooking some of mistakes the board have made over the years but they have blown the opportunity the success in the last decade has given them.

The lack of ambition from them is baffling with us handed the chance to slowly build into a CL regular if we had gone for a little bit more quality rather than rolling the dice on the projects.

The lack of ambition shown by the board in hiring Lennon to replace Rodgers was the decision that really accelerated of downfall

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

First off, it was a fantastic game for the neutral, really open game, chances at both ends, some great goals, world class save and obviously a red card. I thought the ref did well for his first Old Firm derby. He could have easily left McGregor on the field after Rangers scored, but it was the correct decision to send him off. Kent does him brilliantly for first yellow, Kent would have been accelerating into space, so no question the ref got these calls correct. I thought Celtic did well to get back into the game, it was great to see Odsonne back on the scoresheet again. But then almost immediately, Morelos absolutely did Brown and scored with a wonderful finish. Ajer possibly could have deflected it away had he stood tall. Celtic should have made it 2-2, and it would have been deserved given they were down to 10. Once Rangers went 3-1 it was game over, was only a question of how many then. Celtic tired for obvious reasons. I wouldn’t be too harsh on Welsh for last goal, Defoe was fresh and turned him inside out. It was a sorry way for Brown to bow out. He was completely out played by Steven Davis, once again, and it shows that age isn’t everything. I thought Ajer was Celtic’s best player, he was unlucky with the few chances he created himself. He showed he cared, I think it’s imperative that Celtic hold onto him for next season. The same can’t be said for many of the Celtic team. Absolutely massive rebuilding job on now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Fair play of you to call in Brewster, what with your busy schedule and all, much appreciated!!

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Fair play of you to call in Brewster, what with your busy schedule and all, much appreciated!!

Look, happy to discuss game or issues facing Celtic just now etc. Posts like above are really a bit pointless to be fair.

I can’t remember name of poster, but they actually thought Allan McGregor would be only Rangers player to make a combined Old Firm 11. I was thinking last night if the poster was to reevaluate things now where would he see things standing? I think it’s a useful exercise in identifying where Celtic need to strengthen for next season and close the gap on Rangers. As we have seen, things can change very quickly, but clearly you need to identify your areas of weakness first and take it from there. The last time Celtic failed to win an Old Firm derby in a season was in 2000 apparently, and guess what happened next, Martin O’Neill rolled into town, and the rest is history. I think this should be focus for Celtic fans, with the right appointment, and the sourcing of the right players. So where do Celtic need to strengthen?

For me, if you take the two starting 11s yesterday, my combined team would have 8 Rangers players and 3 Celtic. I think Ajer would make take Simpson’s place clearly, but it would be Rangers keeper and 3 Rangers defenders. I don’t think there could be any argument here. I think up front is almost the easiest to select, obviously Odsonne, Ryan Kent and Morelos are by a distance the three best attacking players in both teams. The stats back this up.

Midfield is probably the hardest to select three players, and one which would generate the most debate. For me Davis and Kamara would be in, and based on his season, Turnbull would join them. I think Davis will be POTY. In previous times Ryan Christie would have been a shoe in, but his form has fallen off big time and he couldn’t even make the team yesterday. The one player who would be unlucky is Calum, but he hasn’t had a great season and obviously his red card yesterday is fresh in mind. Maybe in a best case scenario, you could argue 7 Rangers and 4 Celtic, but it would be a push, the league table doesn’t lie.

The worry of course is if Odsonne and Ajer were to leave, where does that leave things? Let’s assume they stay, they are still under contract, I think Celtic need a goalkeeper, two quality full backs, and centre back. I think they will need an experienced all action midfielder to play with Calum and Turnbull. I also think they are need an attacking left sided player. I would say Celtic will need at least five/six new starters to play from the off next season. In terms of building a squad, I think Celtic will need to sign 10-12 players, obviously it’s somewhat dependent on who stays or goes. It’s clearly a huge challenge, and you’d imagine they would want manager in and working on a list of targets ASAP. The managerial appointment is absolutely crucial. If Howe is the chosen one, get him in, there is no time to waste.

• Advertisement

Duffy has gone back to Brighton. Will never figure out how it went so wrong for him. I hope he gets his career back on track next season. Such a waste from both the perspective of Celtic and the player himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I cant believe there still hasn't been a manager appointment. Whoever it is just get it done so he can get to work. We are throwing next season away already

I doubt its going to be Howe at this stage

US2 wrote: »
    I cant believe there still hasn't been a manager appointment. Whoever it is just get it done so he can get to work. We are throwing next season away already

I doubt its going to be Howe at this stage

I'd be pretty sure we've thrown all our eggs into the Eddie Howe basket and hope that works out for us but the delay is getting this done is very worrying and I can't see any reason for it to be allowed to drag on for so long.

It would be nice to think that it has all been agreed months ago and the new man is working behind the scenes approving the players that have left and lining up signings but I'm far from convinced.

Just reading in the Times about the proposed flag display this evening at Celtic Park! It was supposed to a tribute to Scott Brown, and how well deserved this is, but some fans highjacked things to display Palestinian flags. Absolutely ridiculous, good to see the club take such swift action and remove them. However, you’d have to think that some sort of supervision might have been in order in the first place??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

I've no interest in this myself but looks like the board scored another own goal with the support by removing the display for the Palestinians

US2 wrote: »
    I've no interest in this myself but looks like the board scored another own goal with the support by removing the display for the Palestinians

What do you honestly expect the board to do in the circumstances?

• Advertisement

Brewster wrote: »
    What do you honestly expect the board to do in the circumstances?

Accept that it's a cause many fans are passionate about and leave the flags would be the obvious thing?!?

As far as I know there's no rule against displaying Palestinian flags in Scottish football stadiums(I believe there is one in European games)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

4-0 win over St Johnstone. Goals from Turnbull, Eddy, Ajer and Dembele

• Registered Users Posts: 9,589 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Accept that it's a cause many fans are passionate about and leave the flags would be the obvious thing?!?

As far as I know there's no rule against displaying Palestinian flags in Scottish football stadiums(I believe there is one in European games)
    What harm is Palestinian flags doing and why does that other poster there care?

Must pay tribute to Scott Brown. A great leader and a very good player for Celtic for many years. There were times he literally picked the team up and carried them over the line in big games in Europe and in Scotland. He’s irreplaceable. They don’t make them like him anymore.

Wish him well for the future.

Look, clearly the club acted in a responsible manner. Celtic is a football club, a magnificent football club, loved and cherished by millions all over the world. What is happening in Middle East is awful, truly awful, but let’s leave the politics out of football. UEFA has made great strides on this over the years. Scottish FA is a member of UEFA, the club did the right thing. This really shouldn’t have reached public domain to be honest, they should have been removed quietly. This I don’t understand.

• Advertisement

Look, clearly the club acted in a responsible manner. Celtic is a football club, a magnificent football club, loved and cherished by millions all over the world. What is happening in Middle East is awful, truly awful, but let’s leave the politics out of football. UEFA has made great strides on this over the years. Scottish FA is a member of UEFA, the club did the right thing. This really shouldn’t have reached public domain to be honest, they should have been removed quietly. This I don’t understand.

Why leave the politics out of football or other sports for that matter? Every time you see players take a knee is that not politics in football? Are you against that?.

I think any of what you’re saying here should be in a political thread, but sure go ahead there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Asking Celtic fans to leave Politics out of football!! Heard it all now.

TheCitizen wrote: »
    Why leave the politics out of football or other sports for that matter? Every time you see players take a knee is that not politics in football? Are you against that?.

I think any of what you’re saying here should be in a political thread, but sure go ahead there.

Look, I don’t want to get involved in a back and forth. The issue was reported in main stream media, other than this, I’d be none the wiser. In terms of why we should leave politics out of football, I guess UEFA is probably best placed to answer this in terms of their objectives.

Look, I don’t want to get involved in a back and forth. The issue was reported in main stream media, other than this, I’d be none the wiser. In terms of why we should leave politics out of football, I guess UEFA is probably best placed to answer this in terms of their objectives.

So you’re just going to ignore what I asked you re players taking the knee?

Look, it’s nothing to do with you.

So you’re just going to ignore what I asked you re players taking the knee?

Look, it’s nothing to do with you.

Look, of course it is nothing to do with me, it’s nothing to do with any of us for that matter. But I can express on opinion on the matter and articulate my views about the positive stance Celtic took yesterday. UEFA have been very supportive about anti racism initiatives over many years. Of course, many would argue that they still need to do more. However, this is not to be conflated with ‘political views’ expressing solidarity with one side of a political dispute. This is what UEFA seeks to avoid and rightly so. Celtic have to respect UEFA’s position on this, it is really black and white as far as I can see.

Must pay tribute to Scott Brown. A great leader and a very good player for Celtic for many years. There were times he literally picked the team up and carried them over the line in big games in Europe and in Scotland. He’s irreplaceable. They don’t make them like him anymore.

Wish him well for the future.

So disappointing that Brown didn't get the send-off he deserved with a packed stadium. The guy is an absolute legend for the club and drove the team by example on and off the pitch.

I always loved to see him in the tunnel before leading the team out on big CL games against the best teams in the world and he would set the tone for us right there, never intimidated by the challenge.

As you said the guy is irreplaceable

UEFA have been very supportive about anti racism initiatives over many years.

Hahaha good one!

Hahaha good one!

Many would argue that they could do more, a charge that you could put to many different organisations. We could get sidetracked here to a degree. It’s not the point. The fundamental point is that UEFA oppose any displays of a political nature and the club had no choice to remove the flags. The fact that some fans clearly believe they shouldn’t have removed the flags, despite UEFA views, is hard to comprehend.

Look, of course it is nothing to do with me, it’s nothing to do with any of us for that matter. But I can express on opinion on the matter and articulate my views about the positive stance Celtic took yesterday. UEFA have been very supportive about anti racism initiatives over many years. Of course, many would argue that they still need to do more. However, this is not to be conflated with ‘political views’ expressing solidarity with one side of a political dispute. This is what UEFA seeks to avoid and rightly so. Celtic have to respect UEFA’s position on this, it is really black and white as far as I can see.

Is the treatment of the Palestinian people not racist or sectarian, which is essentially the same thing? So UEFA sanction on field protest re discrimination against black people but outlaw protest re discrimination against Palestinian people? How does that work? Celtic fans are right to protest. Celtic FC should grow a pair and tell UEFA that they’re hypocrites.

I recall fans raised money a few years back and paid the hypocritical fine that UEFA issued for a similar incident IIRC. Some one might recall it here?

Many would argue that they could do more, a charge that you could put to many different organisations. We could get sidetracked here to a degree. It’s not the point. The fundamental point is that UEFA oppose any displays of a political nature and the club had no choice to remove the flags. The fact that some fans clearly believe they shouldn’t have removed the flags, despite UEFA views, is hard to comprehend.
    Except for the BLM on field protests?

• Advertisement

Is the treatment of the Palestinian people not racist or sectarian, which is essentially the same thing? So UEFA sanction on field protest re discrimination against black people but outlaw protest re discrimination against Palestinian people? How does that work? Celtic fans are right to protest. Celtic FC should grow a pair and tell UEFA that they’re hypocrites.

I recall fans raised money a few years back and paid the hypocritical fine that UEFA issued for a similar incident IIRC. Some one might recall it here?

Celtic are not going to do that. It’s not really credible to suggest they would. By allowing the sorts of expressions of solidarity, as advocated for above, would absolutely lead to a free for all. It would stoke up all sorts of tensions all over Europe. Football should not involve itself in these sorts of conflicts. This should be left to the politicians on all sides. We can agree to disagree, nothing more to be said about it really. The club acted in good faith and I would hope the fans that took part in this sort of behaviour understand the consequences of persisting with such actions in the future.

Celtic are not going to do that. It’s not really credible to suggest they would. By allowing the sorts of expressions of solidarity, as advocated for above, would absolutely lead to a free for all. It would stoke up all sorts of tensions all over Europe. Football should not involve itself in these sorts of conflicts. This should be left to the politicians on all sides. We can agree to disagree, nothing more to be said about it really. The club acted in good faith and I would hope the fans that took part in this sort of behaviour understand the consequences of persisting with such actions in the future.

What an odd thing to say.

Good faith my ass. The club told the fans to take the banners down because they didn’t want to be fined. That’s understandable but it has nothing to do with “good faith”.

You appear to be ignoring the hypocrisy I’m alluding to which is in keeping with the club you support who were correctly up in arms re the alleged racist abuse incident with one of their players in the Slavia EL game but are mealy mouthed in their condemnation of sectarian abuse from large numbers of their own supporters. Do they still sing The Billy Boys dirge?

Good faith my ass. The club told the fans to take the banners down because they didn’t want to be fined. That’s understandable but it has nothing to do with “good faith”.

You appear to be ignoring the hypocrisy I’m alluding to which is in keeping with the club you support who were correctly up in arms re the alleged racist abuse incident with one of their players in the Slavia EL game but are mealy mouthed in their condemnation of sectarian abuse from large numbers of their own supporters. Do they still sing The Billy Boys dirge?

Club I support!? Please Not this again. It goes no where... for the record I’d condemn all inappropriate behaviour by all fans, regardless of who they are or what club they support.

Now back to the point- It’s not hypocrisy. I am not ignoring it. I strongly disagree with this sentiment. You simply cannot compare the situation in the Middle East, a long standing political conflict, with the issue of racism. I fully support UEFA on this.

What an odd thing to say.

Why? You think the fans should ignore UEFA policy, risk fines, and damage the club that they love??? Seems very straightforward to me.

Club I support!? Please Not this again. It goes no where... for the record I’d condemn all inappropriate behaviour by all fans, regardless of who they are or what club they support.

Now back to the point- It’s not hypocrisy. I am not ignoring it. I strongly disagree with this sentiment. You simply cannot compare the situation in the Middle East, a long standing political conflict, with the issue of racism. I fully support UEFA on this.

Are you saying that discrimination against Palestinian people, or people of Irish descent in the west of Scotland, or Polish people in Belfast for example is somehow a lesser form of discrimination than discrimination against black people?

It is hypocrisy and UEFA are being hypocritical. Interesting that you support them fully on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

Are we back to feeding the troll?

Are we back to feeding the troll?

I thought it got banned from this thread ages ago. Must have been a dream or wishful thinking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭eire4

So disappointing that Brown didn't get the send-off he deserved with a packed stadium. The guy is an absolute legend for the club and drove the team by example on and off the pitch.

I always loved to see him in the tunnel before leading the team out on big CL games against the best teams in the world and he would set the tone for us right there, never intimidated by the challenge.

As you said the guy is irreplaceable

Totally agree with you. If at some point next season fans are fully back in the stadiums I am sure Brown will get the standing ovation and thanks he deserves when Aberdeen visit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭eire4

I thought it got banned from this thread ages ago. Must have been a dream or wishful thinking.

Wishing thinking sadly. Best policy is ignore.

eire4 wrote: »
    Wishing thinking sadly. Best policy is ignore.

Eire4, I really don’t know what to say. You are perfectly entitled to ignore me if you wish. Why you would want is another matter. Some things we will agree on, some we won’t.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Ignore list is useful for cases like this. Honestly if someone who has a "general interest" in Scottish football has not commented once on this thread - literally once - during Celtic's 9 league titles in a row AND a quadruple treble and then all of a sudden appears as soon as Celtic have a bad season, the only action is to completely ignore imo.

Unfortunately I sometimes see that person's posts when others reply, so if everyone simply ignores, the problem is gone.

As regards Brown, completely agree with the sentiments above. Next time we play Aberdeen at home with the fans back in the stadium, he should get some sort of recognition. Probably the most important player to leave the club since Larsson.

Season finally over now, let's never speak of it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,287 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Drab 0-0 which sums up the season

Meanwhile, I was on the train earlier.... another side in Glasgow fans are crawling out for their first title presentation. Idiots are letting off fireworks as well just now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Drab 0-0 which sums up the season

Meanwhile, I was on the train earlier.... another side in Glasgow fans are crawling out for their first title presentation. Idiots are letting off fireworks as well just now

:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    :pac::pac::pac:

you see, even the Rangers fans can't stop checking out this thread :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

You've been in our thread for years and years giving it the big one. Of course I'm too happy to return the favour ;) I hope the fireworks didn't annoy you too much :o

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Obsessed!! :pac:

Thankfully I'm well over losing this title, not like helicopter Sunday! It's actually pretty poor that they have no cups this season considering how awful we have been.

Today just highlighted the problems we have again. 73% possession, 17 shots, 9 on target and no goals. That's been our problem all season long. Whatever the new manager does, we simply have to address the lack of goals first and foremost. We even played better in large spells v them and should have won a couple of those games, but for our inability to finish.

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    You've been in our thread for years and years giving it the big one. Of course I'm too happy to return the favour ;) I hope the fireworks didn't annoy you too much :o

I am banned from your thread. Fireworks have stopped (for the moment), they do not annoy me, they annoy our dog. I am sure there will be carnage amongst the hordes this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

I am banned from your thread. Fireworks have stopped (for the moment), they do not annoy me, they annoy our dog. I am sure there will be carnage amongst the hordes this evening

Are you trying to say if you had won 10 you lot wouldn’t be out en masse You and I know it would happen. I can understand the hurt we have been there for years

• Advertisement
Advertisement