Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tottenham Hotspur Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭abff

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Maybe if we could lose 3 remaining games then Arsenal could finish in 7th and prevent us from qualifying for Europa conference league.

We want to be either 6th or 8th. But not behind Arsenal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Any nerd out there who knows what the European permutations are? Chelsea could conceivably come fifth and win the CL, Leicester or Chelsea will win the cup but could both already be in CL football.

In the absence of CL football I would love a season with no European football at all. Players might actually put in a shift with weekly gaps to recover and not saving themselves for a EL knockout flop. I can’t honestly say I can ever remember enjoying a single EL game. It’s either a stroll against some team I’ve never heard of or an embarrassing collapse against a bang average team.

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Any nerd out there who knows what the European permutations are? Chelsea could conceivably come fifth and win the CL, Leicester or Chelsea will win the cup but could both already be in CL football.

In the absence of CL football I would love a season with no European football at all. Players might actually put in a shift with weekly gaps to recover and not saving themselves for a EL knockout flop. I can’t honestly say I can ever remember enjoying a single EL game. It’s either a stroll against some team I’ve never heard of or an embarrassing collapse against a bang average team.

I agree that a season without European football might benefit the team, but not if it causes our top players to leave.

Putting that to one side, the permutations are as follows:

Top 4 automatically qualify for the CL unless English teams from outside the top 4 win both the CL and EL. As United are guaranteed top 4, this can't happen this season.

If Chelsea finish outside the top 4 and win the CL, they will join the top 4 in next season's CL.

Barring the above scenario, the teams in 5th and 6th will appear in next year's EL, unless the FA cup winners finish outside the top 6, in which case it will be the 5th place team plus the cup winners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Glebee

I saw somewhere earlier today that depending on other results Liverpool could be looking for Spurs to beat Leicester on final day of season to qualify for CL/Europa or something like that. Hard luck Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭prodsc

abff wrote: »
    I agree that a season without European football might benefit the team, but not if it causes our top players to leave.

Putting that to one side, the permutations are as follows:

Top 4 automatically qualify for the CL unless English teams from outside the top 4 win both the CL and EL. As United are guaranteed top 4, this can't happen this season.

If Chelsea finish outside the top 4 and win the CL, they will join the top 4 in next season's CL.

Barring the above scenario, the teams in 5th and 6th will appear in next year's EL, unless the FA cup winners finish outside the top 6, in which case it will be the 5th place team plus the cup winners.

Don't forget Europa Conference place for the next placed team,probably 7th.
    Just think we could have that secured if we had won the League |Cup!!!!

• Advertisement

prodsc wrote: »
    Don't forget Europa Conference place for the next placed team,probably 7th.
    Just think we could have that secured if we had won the League |Cup!!!!

I didn't forget it. I deliberately decided not to mention it because I'm afraid that's where we might end up. Worst of all worlds, in my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,735 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Tielemans one of those poch rejected before he joined leicester, as i recall.

Tielemans one of those poch rejected before he joined leicester, as i recall.

Yes, we’ve screwed up so often in recent years. Having said that, delighted for Leicester. Unlike last year’s final, when I was hoping there was some way they both could lose, I had no doubts who I was rooting for today.

Now, if they can beat Chelsea again on Tuesday and then lose to us next Sunday, there’s still an outside chance we can finish top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,560 ✭✭✭celt262

Now, if they can beat Chelsea again on Tuesday and then lose to us next Sunday, there’s still an outside chance we can finish top 4.

Don't do it to yourself!

• Advertisement

Not gonna happen with this bunch of wasters. They don't deserve CL football anyway.

Not gonna happen with this bunch of wasters. They don't deserve CL football anyway.

Theyd be like a dog chasing a car if they got it, wouldnt know what to do with it

Fair play to Leicester today, got the job done. Unlike us, who sh1te a brick. The mess we are in 5th would be massive overachiement but id take it.

Match day and no post yet... just shows the mood in the camp. All spurs so far but no scores. Waiting for wolves break away and score.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,215 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

1-0 up now. Kane doesn't miss those.

Kane. Legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Kane is really one of the best in the world.

Thought we signed a mini Bob Marley until I realised Delli grew dreads. He refused to go into goals in training. All he said was ‘one glove’.

We are on form today.

Comfortable win, which is a nice change. Overall a pretty good performance i'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Kiith wrote: »
    Comfortable win, which is a nice change. Overall a pretty good performance i'd say.

How did Bale play?

• Advertisement

Was only half watching it to be fair, but he seemed pretty good. Dele was excellent, and motm from what i saw.

Only half watching it myself, lo celso looked poor as well or was it just me?? If your nit standing out against this wolves team your in trouble.

How did Bale play?

If I was going to give my opinion the normal way I would I’d be raving about his brilliance. But at this stage of the season I think it is important to give a more reasoned answer. He did grow into the game and he gave flashes of pure quality. He was able to pull strings and wasn’t shy of a blistering shot. His shot that was saved set up Hjolberg for his goal. But he did come in and out of play so not worthy of an 8. So a 7.5+.

We gave away several great chances from the highlights

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

Kiith wrote: »
    Was only half watching it to be fair, but he seemed pretty good. Dele was excellent, and motm from what i saw.

New Dele :P

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Lo Celso was pure muck .....

Hes not bothered .....

just like us supporters...

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Just read (i dont know how true)

87 ex Spurs players have won a trophy, since Spurs did ......

��������

Blowing up everywhere that kanes decision is made and he wants out

No blame to him at all

Imagine levy admitted that the intent was top eight and profiteering a few years back, he could've sold that 2017 team for a billion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I could imagine him going to City. They're a great team already but with him they'd be incredible. Plus they could afford him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

SuprSi wrote: »
    I could imagine him going to City. They're a great team already but with him they'd be incredible. Plus they could afford him.

Maybe. It’d be a very out of character signing by Pep, but stranger things have happened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

They could certainly be able to afford him and he could stay in England with his young family.

He probably is targeting Alan Shearer's Premiership goal scoring record of 260 goals.

Harry Kane's Premiership goal total at the moment is 165 goals

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

Could you imagine Kane playing against us, he would have a field day. :(

Glebee wrote: »
    Could you imagine Kane playing against us, he would have a field day. :(

We have the 4th stingiest defence in the league believe it or not

I don't! Is that true? 4th stingiest defence and Kane and Son have scored a load of goals but we're stuck in 6th? Funny old game.

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Kane does go this summer, though not sure who can afford him and who he'd be allowed to go to. He'd be perfect for City, and would make them even better. Same for Utd to be fair. No chance he'd go to Chelsea. But i can't see Levy selling him to a premier league team, unless he made some sort of agreement with Kane to let him go if we didn't get CL football again.

Outside of England, very few teams can afford him right now. Real and Barca are broke. PSG could obviously, and with Poch there it might be more attractive for Kane, but i dunno...just don't see it.

• Advertisement

greenspurs wrote: »
    whispers of Kane going to tell Levy inc. very soon that he wants to leave.

Quelle surpríse ....

and it comes true.

Thanks Daniel.
    i hope the supporters lucky enough to get into WHL tomorrow night let their feelings be known !!

Enic have destroyed our football club.

Whatever happens with Kane, and ****ed and all as the club currently is, it'll be twice as ****ed if he goes. The stats speak for themselves, but no amount of money in return will give this team what he brings. He goes and it could be years before we're anywhere near the top 4 again.

It's also a damning indictment of Levy's stewardship, that he wouldn't provide the best manager the club has had in years with the players he needed to progress, chose the wrong guy to take over and now the best striker in the league and a true born & bred Tottenham lad wants to leave because, unsurprisingly, the team is incapable of winning, despite having multiple opportunities. That statistic about playing in the League Cup Final 4 times and not scoring once is pathetic beyond belief.

The players still hanging around, not delivering; Alli, Winks, Dier, ****ing Sissoko, etc, would all have been shipped out and replaced by any other of the big clubs. But not Spurs. Jose was not the man for the job but he was set up to fail because the owners care about money only. It's purely a business. And in a way you can admire what they've done, with that amazing stadium and getting an invite to the Super League, but on the pitch it's been rotten for over 3 years now, and that's what the fans care about.

Where is the line drawn? What is an acceptable season for Levy and Co? Are we looking at top 8 being OK, as long as they don't have to invest too heavily, still get all the season ticket revenue and make a few quid through NFL and concerts?

This is a massive summer for the club. Sign a top manager, convince Kane to stay, buy some proper players and get rid of the wasters and it could be a great one. Lose Kane, hire anything other than a top manager and it's game over, and for a long time I fear.

Whatever happens with Kane, and ****ed and all as the club currently is, it'll be twice as ****ed if he goes. The stats speak for themselves, but no amount of money in return will give this team what he brings. He goes and it could be years before we're anywhere near the top 4 again.

It's also a damning indictment of Levy's stewardship, that he wouldn't provide the best manager the club has had in years with the players he needed to progress, chose the wrong guy to take over and now the best striker in the league and a true born & bred Tottenham lad wants to leave because, unsurprisingly, the team is incapable of winning, despite having multiple opportunities. That statistic about playing in the League Cup Final 4 times and not scoring once is pathetic beyond belief.

The players still hanging around, not delivering; Alli, Winks, Dier, ****ing Sissoko, etc, would all have been shipped out and replaced by any other of the big clubs. But not Spurs. Jose was not the man for the job but he was set up to fail because the owners care about money only. It's purely a business. And in a way you can admire what they've done, with that amazing stadium and getting an invite to the Super League, but on the pitch it's been rotten for over 3 years now, and that's what the fans care about.

Where is the line drawn? What is an acceptable season for Levy and Co? Are we looking at top 8 being OK, as long as they don't have to invest too heavily, still get all the season ticket revenue and make a few quid through NFL and concerts?

This is a massive summer for the club. Sign a top manager, convince Kane to stay, buy some proper players and get rid of the wasters and it could be a great one. Lose Kane, hire anything other than a top manager and it's game over, and for a long time I fear.

well said.

But what "top" manager would go there now knowing that Kane wont be there ?
    Will Sonny be next to say , fcuk you Levy, im outta here?

I wont mention Pochs "painful rebuild" ....

At least we have the Jets playing there in october ...... Go Go De-fence .....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

not angry
    not surprised
    saw it coming years ago
    it was just a matter of time
    so sad what our club has become

thanks Daniel

On this day in 1991.

Spurs won their last FA Cup Final.

Tottenham Hotspur 2 - 1 Nottingham Forest (aet)
    Stewart Pearce
    Walker (og)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLBWhiFLEws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLBWhiFLEws

https://www.fa-cupfinals.co.uk/1991.htm

'The game is about Glory'

• Advertisement

100% on every word except for that last paragraph. Our massive summers were under poch and the fall off due to enic's behaviour then is coming home to roost now- and theres nothing to be done except watch.

I think we will have a three season midtable rebuild job on our hands, if we get lucky and levy somehow accepts that is where we are and backs such a project

Seems like Kane wanting out is legit now, with Ornstein and Dan KP saying he wants to leave. Thinks he has a "gentlemen's agreement" with Levy after agreeing last season to stay another year. The club want him to become a "Totti" and stick around for the good of the team.

https://twitter.com/Dan_KP/status/1394586303468118017?s=09

Why would he stay? He's done everything he could to get us trophies, and that ambition hasn't been matched by the board. He can go to any other team, earn more money, and win major trophies. Or he can stay, and hope we get a good manager, hope Levy buys some new players, and hope we can possibly fight for a cup. I'd leave if i were in his shoes.

The other problem is also that even if he does go for £120-150 million, do we actually trust that money would be wisely invested? Our transfer policy hasn't been particularly good in recent years.

For the record I wouldn’t hold it against Kane if he left in fact I think he has given everything to this club over the past few years only to be let down by the clubs hierarchy.
    If he wants to win something he has to leave.
    If he goes, son will want to go.
    That leaves our next top goal scorers as bale on 14 and Vinicius on 10, both of whom are leaving this summer if I’m not wrong.
    Our next top goal scorer is moura on 8 and then ndombele on 5
    The rest are 3 or less.
    Kane leaving means we are in big big trouble.
    Who’s gonna fill the void?

Nobody, that's the thing! As Dublin Spur says above, this has been coming. If you keep putting proper squad maintenance off, at some point it catches up and you get caught out, and that's what's happening here. Kane goes, Son goes - what's left?

Nobody, that's the thing! As Dublin Spur says above, this has been coming. If you keep putting proper squad maintenance off, at some point it catches up and you get caught out, and that's what's happening here. Kane goes, Son goes - what's left?

So if that’s the case where do you see us finishing next year? Take Kane’s sons bales and vinnys goals out of that team and we could be lower half :eek:

If Kane goes, Son won't extend his contract, and will be sold due to avoid another Eriksen. We're utterly ****ed if they did both leave this year.

Its going to be a **** few years i imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

so many poor decisions that have taken us to where we are now....

Not adequately replacing Walker, Vertonghen, Dembele or Eriksen
    Getting Sissoko instead of Mane
    Getting Rodon instead of Dias
    Low balling Villa for Grealish
    F**king Shanchez
    Sacking our best manager since Birkinshaw (a few months after a CL final), this probably seemed cheaper than giving Poch the required funds to build a new team, what did Poch say about having a lovely new house but with no furniture? Look how that worked out!

Levy is great on the commercial side but the whole football side of the equation has been neglected massively on a shoe string budget.
    This clusterfúck is all on him due to his deluded 'I know best' arrogance, the game is up Daniel.

As for Lewis, he doesn't give a flying fúck as long as his investment continues to increase in value (hence the ever increasing N17 property portfolio).

'There used to be a football club over there'

I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict that Kane will be here next season

Ormus wrote: »
    I’m gonna go out on a limb and predict that Kane will be here next season

How ?
    Why ?

No way...............

He wanted to leave last summer, but L€vy convinced him to stay 1 more season - he did.
    Why would/should he stay? He owes us nothing.
    Its up to L€vy now to make as much profit on a home grown kid as he can.
    Its a great day for €nic ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

It would be a massive blow if Kane left but would it be the end of the world? If we are going to crucify Levy for the current shambles should we give him credit for building Poch’s team for around 100m total? Lloris, Walker, Trips, Rose, Toby, Dier, Dembele, Eriksen, Alli, Son, Kane .... all cheap as chips.
    The disgrace is that the team did not kick on but we would be strolling into six straight years of CL football with NFL cash, stadium rights and crowds incoming if only we had managed to hold it together enough to beat the likes of Fulham and Newcastle over the last two years.
    Levy probably takes some blame as the chairman sets the tone but the club has invested decent money in the likes of NDombele and Lo Celso and got what appeared to be good back up for Kane in Vinicius. But to me the bulk of the blame had to go to players who didn’t give a shyte half the time. Where do these fellas think they are going next? Barca? Real Madrid? Maybe when they are playing for West Brom or Hull or, if they are lucky, Norwich or a second rank Spanish team, they might pause and think that maybe they should have tried a leg occasionally and they could be playing in the best stadium in the world in the best competitions in the world.

• Advertisement
Advertisement