Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Son needs OT

Options
  • 06-06-2019 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,963 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    We got our son (nearly 7) assessed and were advised he would really benefit from 24 weeks OT (approx). The assessment was private and cost 500.
    Same place is 100 euro's per OT session. So wondering if anyone has any tips or experiences they could share?

For example, another option would be to see if we can get the OT through the school; quality and facilities may not be as good but I'm guessing would be cheaper than private. We have no health insurance, so if we did sign up for this, I think only an expensive policy would cover the OT.

He didn't get a dispraxia diagnosis; but we were told there were some gross motor areas he needs some help with and the sooner we do this, the better. From a young age, I notice his balance wasn't great so was already doing balance bike, trampoline, you name it with him from young age -- which has helped according to the lady doing assessment.

So wondering if anyone has any advise?

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 13,792 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

What area of the country are you in, and have you checked how long the public waiting list is? My daughter needed it when she was younger for gross motor issues and the wait wasn't very long.

Edit :
    Ideas to work on are
    balance beam/walking toe to toe in a straight line
    Standing feet together and throwing a soft ball into a basin from a distance
    Sit ups... But not too taxing on the child! Lying on his back and reaching for something down by his feet. Alternate sides.

These were all the types of 'games' my one played

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Do you know that the school has OT services attached to it? I’ve never heard of this outside of special schools.
    My sons school thought he would benefit from an OT assessment when he was in junior infants, they just advised me to contact his PHN to get him referred publicly, and go on the public waiting list (which is horrifically long in most areas it seems). There used be an option of going through AON, which might speed things up a small bit, but to be honest, if he’s already bred assessed, and not diagnosed, then there’s probably no need.
    The only other thing I would say, is that I have a few friends who are OTs, who would have advised me to be wary of what some of those private clinics will tell you. At the end of the day, they are businesses, run by people who need to make money. I work in health myself, and I would be suspicious that they assessed your son, did not give him any diagnosis, but then told you he would need 24 (expensive) sessions to sort him out. I don’t know how they could know that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Hi,
    We got our son (nearly 7) assessed and were advised he would really benefit from 24 weeks OT (approx). The assessment was private and cost 500.
    Same place is 100 euro's per OT session. So wondering if anyone has any tips or experiences they could share?

For example, another option would be to see if we can get the OT through the school; quality and facilities may not be as good but I'm guessing would be cheaper than private. We have no health insurance, so if we did sign up for this, I think only an expensive policy would cover the OT.

He didn't get a dispraxia diagnosis; but we were told there were some gross motor areas he needs some help with and the sooner we do this, the better. From a young age, I notice his balance wasn't great so was already doing balance bike, trampoline, you name it with him from young age -- which has helped according to the lady doing assessment.

So wondering if anyone has any advise?

you can go through the school/public health service but you'll be waiting,it depends on where you are but wherever it is there will be a delay especially as he would not be considered high need, the delay will be months or it could well be years.

we have pretty good private health insurance and it did us no good so not having it is not putting you up or down money wise.( look at it this way the money saved on the health insurance can now be spent on this)

we got a private OT for our lad even though at the time he did not have a diagnosis of dyspraxia, it really was money well spent.
    we went once a month and then did the work with him, once a week seems a lot at 100 a go but id' be inclined to give it a go even for a month or so and then maybe look at bringing it back to once a fortnight or once a month.

id be surprised if the OT did not recommend this her/him self as time goes bye.
    apply for the public system as well though as you can then go into that later. this is especially important if it turns out there are more issues then originally thought and you are looking for a diagnosis later.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Just throwing it out there but there is a vhi plan whereby you get 75% back on OT and visits are not capped. The plan itself is maybe €380 for a child. There is no waiting time for day to day expenses.

(Company plan extra level 2 excess is a vhi plan €380 is one but ring them)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

I find it curious that the OT that assessed your child was so specific in the number of weeks your child needed to see them? OT is most usually an instructive session to the parent whereby you take on board what you witness and learn and try implement it at home. Straight up i'd suggest an infoor trampoline, balance beam, some rough play, yoga exercises to build up core strength and if convenient swimming and horse riding are amazing. Its amazing how much a child can develop of you follow the advixe of your OT but to me 24 sessions sounds excessive. It may well end up being that many but it would be hard to tell at this stage.

• Advertisement

Also, has your child seen a physio? Often the gross motor, balance and coordination stuff is a manifestation of poor core strength and/or hyper mobility. It’s worth looking at, we definitely noticed an improvement in our sons balance and coordination when we put in a bit of work on his core.

jlm29 wrote: »
    Also, has your child seen a physio? Often the gross motor, balance and coordination stuff is a manifestation of poor core strength and/or hyper mobility. It’s worth looking at, we definitely noticed an improvement in our sons balance and coordination when we put in a bit of work on his core.

Second this. Alot if the yoga exercies I mentioned came from a physio.

Also, the physio waiting lists will probably be significantly shorter

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hi,

[MOD]

Hi, I hope you get the advise you are looking for, but can you please refrain from acronyms? This is referenced in the charter. it makes it hard to read the thread when it's unfamiliar and can reduce the reliability of search results for someone else, trying to get the same advice you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭irishgirl19

Hi OP.
    I bring my daughter to OT regularly. You won't get much from HSE (We only ever got 6 sessions to date after taking legal action).
    My daughters health insurance covers 75% of the cost of an OT session which has a cap of 4k (inc all outpatient Claims) per year. OT must be registered with AOTI though. Worth looking into a policy

Edit: OP I pay 43 per month for my daughters cover but there are much cheaper ones. It pays itself back because if I claim off one OT session a month I get €56 back.

Did whoever come the assessment refer your son to school age team or primary care. If not you can do this yourself I think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21 passecompose

There is tax relief for Dyspraxia if I'm not mistaken. This could help with the payments for an occupational therapist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

There is tax relief for Dyspraxia if I'm not mistaken. This could help with the payments for an occupational therapist
    Interested to know more on this? My son has a delayed language development and speech therapist has mentioned verbal dyspraxia as underlining cause. Have it written in one letter but not specified in his most recent report. DCA application has also been denied in spite of the fact my son at age 4yrs 11 months is classed as non verbal. Any tax relief in addition to general clawback on med 1 would be benefical

• Registered Users Posts: 21 passecompose

I'm afraid I don't know too much about it myself. I read somewhere that you can apply through the revenue online page. It doesn't specify Dyspraxia exactly though but I have heard it qualifies for the credit

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/tax_credits_and_reliefs_for_people_with_disabilities/incapacitated_child_tax_credit.html

Interested to know more on this? My son has a delayed language development and speech therapist has mentioned verbal dyspraxia as underlining cause. Have it written in one letter but not specified in his most recent report. DCA application has also been denied in spite of the fact my son at age 4yrs 11 months is classed as non verbal. Any tax relief in addition to general clawback on med 1 would be benefical

The other poster could be referencing the incapacitated child tax credit. Your doctor will need to tick a box and sign to say this 'incapacity' will basically last forever.

As per revenues site:

is under 18 years of age and permanently incapacitated physically or mentally

is over 18 years of age and unable to support themselves. The child became permanently incapacitated before turning 21 years of age.

became permanently incapacitated aged 21 years or over, but while in full-time education

became permanently incapacitated aged 21 years or over, but while undergoing full-time training for a trade or profession. This training was expected to last for at least two years.

The incapacity must be such that the child is unlikely to maintain themselves even with the benefit of any:

treatment

device

medication

therapy.

Also, there must be a reasonable expectation that if the child were over 18, they would not be able to maintain themselves. For the purposes of this credit 'maintaining' means the ability to support themselves by earning a living from working.

The other poster could be referencing the incapacitated child tax credit. Your doctor will need to tick a box and sign to say this 'incapacity' will basically last forever.

As per revenues site:

is under 18 years of age and permanently incapacitated physically or mentally

is over 18 years of age and unable to support themselves. The child became permanently incapacitated before turning 21 years of age.

became permanently incapacitated aged 21 years or over, but while in full-time education

became permanently incapacitated aged 21 years or over, but while undergoing full-time training for a trade or profession. This training was expected to last for at least two years.

The incapacity must be such that the child is unlikely to maintain themselves even with the benefit of any:

treatment

device

medication

therapy.

Also, there must be a reasonable expectation that if the child were over 18, they would not be able to maintain themselves. For the purposes of this credit 'maintaining' means the ability to support themselves by earning a living from working.
    Won't qualify for that then. Thanks

Definitely appeal your DCA decision though. You should get it once you outline extra care you give. Most appeals for DCA are successful I read

Definitely appeal your DCA decision though. You should get it once you outline extra care you give. Most appeals for DCA are successful I read

Not our's unfortunately. Onto oral hearing stage it is.

Best of luck with it. Hope it goes in your favour. Terrible that you have to jump through these hoops

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Hi, can we please stop using acronyms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,135 ✭✭✭rom

Hi, can we please stop using acronyms.

I am upset this thread is not about Operation Transformation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Motherof123

Not our's unfortunately. Onto oral hearing stage it is.

Any luck in the end?

It's a total headache even filling in the forms.
    your supposed to be entitled to it but Yet we have to add stuff they don't even ask for like family impact statement and a daily diary!
    I don't even want to apply for it knowing they will refuse it dispite having reports and letters!
    They really make people beg for it?
    I have to do this application and I keep putting it off.
    My child does need extra care I'm constantly tired but my GP says ah he's so good isn't he so quiet and happy 🙄

It's a total headache even filling in the forms.
    your supposed to be entitled to it but Yet we have to add stuff they don't even ask for like family impact statement and a daily diary!
    I don't even want to apply for it knowing they will refuse it dispite having reports and letters!
    They really make people beg for it?
    I have to do this application and I keep putting it off.
    My child does need extra care I'm constantly tired but my GP says ah he's so good isn't he so quiet and happy 🙄

I would just apply for it anyway. I got mine on first go.
    Didn't bother with daily diary but wrote 2 extra A4 pages if I recall correctly. I had letter from speech therapist too and also creche manager at the time.
    If you have any upcoming appointments out in a copy of all the letters.
    We had weekly appointments scheduled and I printed out the email confirming the bookings. I also put in copies of all receipts of any medical /therapy appointments

I would just apply for it anyway. I got mine on first go.
    Didn't bother with daily diary but wrote 2 extra A4 pages if I recall correctly. I had letter from speech therapist too and also creche manager at the time.
    If you have any upcoming appointments out in a copy of all the letters.
    We had weekly appointments scheduled and I printed out the email confirming the bookings. I also put in copies of all receipts of any medical /therapy appointments

Thanks for that. I still haven't even printed the application for it. Totally putting it off but I really need to do this ASAP. He has his last Slt with the HSE (he was allocated 3 after the AON was applied for and he was accepted to brothers of charity)
    I might ask her for an updated report to support the DCA application.

His main issue is he cannot use functional speech but can sing nursery rhymes word for word. He dosent call me mommy when he needs me.
    He tries to do things for himself so we are trying to teach him mommy help.

I was so motivated to get it done last week but after reading that they are refusing everyone I thought what's another month waiting so I get it done right.

Thanks for that. I still haven't even printed the application for it. Totally putting it off but I really need to do this ASAP. He has his last Slt with the HSE (he was allocated 3 after the AON was applied for and he was accepted to brothers of charity)
    I might ask her for an updated report to support the DCA application.

His main issue is he cannot use functional speech but can sing nursery rhymes word for word. He dosent call me mommy when he needs me.
    He tries to do things for himself so we are trying to teach him mommy help.

I was so motivated to get it done last week but after reading that they are refusing everyone I thought what's another month waiting so I get it done right.

We finally got appproved for DCA following oral hearing. Apparently his extra needs hadn't come across in the paperwork but I went in with a weeks worth of a diary prepared detailing his extra needs but a page in the officer had said he'd heard enough and hadn't realised how dependent our son was on us.
    It is an extraordinarily drawn out battle like everything else. I often feel its one bloody battle after another and you may eventually win the battle but we'll never win the war :-(
    But its all worth it when you see progress :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,715 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

We finally got appproved for DCA following oral hearing. Apparently his extra needs hadn't come across in the paperwork but I went in with a weeks worth of a diary prepared detailing his extra needs but a page in the officer had said he'd heard enough and hadn't realised how dependent our son was on us.
    It is an extraordinarily drawn out battle like everything else. I often feel its one bloody battle after another and you may eventually win the battle but we'll never win the war :-(

Congrats and best of luck with it all

That's fantastic well done! I'm still waiting to hear from them. I did apply for Carers and DCA at the same time. I got a letter from carers asking for both our bank statements for the last 6 months. I posted them back. Hopefully we will hear back from them once everyone goes back to work on the 6th january.

That's fantastic well done! I'm still waiting to hear from them. I did apply for Carers and DCA at the same time. I got a letter from carers asking for both our bank statements for the last 6 months. I posted them back. Hopefully we will hear back from them once everyone goes back to work on the 6th january.

You must have applied for carers allowance rather than benefit did you? Benefit isn't means tested so they shouldnt need your financial records. Hope you get approved soon.

yellow hen wrote: »
    You must have applied for carers allowance rather than benefit did you? Benefit isn't means tested so they shouldnt need your financial records. Hope you get approved soon.

I'm stay at home mom since 2016 so I don't have any stamps so that may be why they went straight onto carers allowance to test our means.
    Not sure about he DCA heard nothing yet but I would expect to be refused first time round? Hopefully not tho so much paper work involved which I can't apply myself to until my kids are asleep.
    I have to apply to a lot of schools and each application needs a copy of the diagnosis report.

• Advertisement
Advertisement