Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Off topic: chat

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,254 ✭✭✭Nqp15hhu

Mick Tator wrote: »
    The names quoted by srmf5 are common throughout Ireland. Reading your posts I infer that you are limiting your comments to names found in the northern part of Ireland (e.g. your reference to names found 'locally'). I cannot see thatperspective adding much to a discussion on surnames that is general rather than specific.

I will continue to post.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Nqp15hhu wrote: »
    Don’t insult my contribution.. I have been doing my Y DNA for years alongside my Genealogy.

If you have an issue with a post - report it.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

McBride and McIntyre

The surname McBride was first found in Donegal (Irish: Dún na nGall), northwest Ireland in the province of Ulster, sometimes referred to as County Tyrconnel, where the they are descended from the son of the servant (follower, devotee) of St. Brigit, the virgin Abbess of Kildare who died 525 A.D.

McIntyre, McEntire, MacIntyre, McAteer, and McIntire are Scottish and Irish surnames derived from the Gaelic Mac an t-Saoir literally meaning "Son of the Craftsman or Mason", but more commonly cited as "son of the Carpenter." It is common in Ulster and the highlands of Scotland, found in Ireland mostly in counties Donegal, Derry, Tyrone and Sligo. A Uí Brolchainn Sept of the Uí Néill clan and a branch of the Cenel Eoghainn.

In the ancient Irish annals, the first abbot of Clonmacnoise Saint Ciarán (c. 516 – c. 549) Ciarán mac an tSaeir ("son of the carpenter"), appears to be the oldest known record of the name; was one of the Twelve Apostles of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

Mick Tator wrote: »
    ……. Reading your posts I infer that you are limiting your comments to names found in the northern part of Ireland (e.g. your reference to names found 'locally'). I cannot see that perspective adding much to a discussion on surnames that is general rather than specific.
    I will continue to post.
    It’s none of my business whether or not you post, but if your contributions are to add to the discussion It would be helpful if they were clearer. There is little point in taking offense when debating surname origins particularly when your posts lack clarity of post and specific detail.

Without detail, trying to separate Northern English, Northern Irish and Scottish ancestry is futile. Apart from seasonal and permanent population migrations between all those places, several identical surnames have completely different origins in different parts of this and those countries. In Ireland, Kelly is one name that comes to mind, the Kelly septs from UI Máine, (Connacht) Breagh (Leinster) and Cinel Eachach (Ulster) all have quite different origins. Another – common in Scotland, N. Ireland and N England – is Lamont.

Some Lamonts, particularly in N England are correct in claiming their name is Viking, derived from the medieval personal name Lagman which in turn is from the Old Norse Logmaðr.
    Other Lamonts, particularly in Scotland correctly believe they descend from Anrothan O'Neill, who gave up his kingdom in Ireland and moved to Argyll.
    From Anrothan's line came a man named Aodha Alainn O'Neil who had three sons:
    1. Gillachrist, who had a son, Lachlan, who is the ancestors of the MacLachlans;
    2. Neill, who is the ancestor of the MacNeills
    3. Dunslebhe. who had two sons, Ewen, the ancestor of the MacEwens and Fearchar, who had a son named Lamond and it is from him that the Lamont family descend. He at one time was known as as 'Mac Laomain Mor Chomhail Uile' - The Great Mac Lamont of All Cowal.

Yet other Lamonts would by quite wrong to assert those origins, the being descended from a French Huguenot whose family name originated on the western side of the Ile-de-France.

Take your pick!

You have claimed to be expert in DNA so it should be very clear to you that ethnicity/origin is algorithm based, built on the geographic distribution of the surnames of those who have taken DNA tests. So what really is your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

In other news they are talking genealogy on the Today show on RTE (if you can stick Dathí!) not sure who the genealogy fella is.

Edit: Shane Lehane was his name, there’s a bit on the fb page about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

srmf5 wrote: »
    The surname McBride was first found in Donegal (Irish: Dún na nGall), northwest Ireland in the province of Ulster, sometimes referred to as County Tyrconnel, where the they are descended from the son of the servant (follower, devotee) of St. Brigit, the virgin Abbess of Kildare who died 525 A.D.

McIntyre, McEntire, MacIntyre, McAteer, and McIntire are Scottish and Irish surnames derived from the Gaelic Mac an t-Saoir literally meaning "Son of the Craftsman or Mason", but more commonly cited as "son of the Carpenter." It is common in Ulster and the highlands of Scotland, found in Ireland mostly in counties Donegal, Derry, Tyrone and Sligo. A Uí Brolchainn Sept of the Uí Néill clan and a branch of the Cenel Eoghainn.

In the ancient Irish annals, the first abbot of Clonmacnoise Saint Ciarán (c. 516 – c. 549) Ciarán mac an tSaeir ("son of the carpenter"), appears to be the oldest known record of the name; was one of the Twelve Apostles of Ireland.

It would be misleading to imply that Ciarán Mac an tSaeir was an early example of the McAteer surname. Surnames first came in around the 11th century. People called Mac or Ó before that were literally the son or grandson and would not pass the name on to their descendants.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 311 ✭✭srmf5

Earnest wrote: »
    It would be misleading to imply that Ciarán Mac an tSaeir was an early example of the McAteer surname. Surnames first came in around the 11th century. People called Mac or Ó before that were literally the son or grandson and would not pass the name on to their descendants.

Sure but it just means son of a carpenter. It shows that such an occupational surname like that could arise anywhere in Ireland and Scotland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 90 ✭✭Alan259

On this day, 95 years ago, the 1926 census was taken. I found an interesting piece in the Irish Newspaper Archives about it.
    The Irish Census

The census of the Irish Free State will be taken on next Sunday, April 18. Everything possible is being done to make this, our first census, complete and accurate. The clergy in every parish have been requested to exhort their congregations to make the census a success. All teachers in primary, secondary and other day schools have been authorized to give courses of lessons on the matter this week. Heads of labour organisations, employers’ organisations, etc., have been asked for their assistance. Large numbers of farmers, industrialists, and commercial men have been requested to advise and assist their employees and others with regard to filling up the forms. In short, everything practicable is being done to make successful this special enquiry – the largest every country has to undertake. All persons who have to fill up the census forms should, before doing so, read very carefully the memorandum of instructions (printed on pink paper) which will be handed in before Sunday next by the Civic Guard together with the census form. The pattern tables shown on the pink memorandum should receive special attention as they indicate the manner in which the form should be filled in. Great care should be taken in filling up the columns headed “Personal Occupation” – column (k) and “Employment” – column (l). The census forms will be called for by the Civic Guard after Sunday, April 18, and each head of a household will facilitate matters if he will leave with a responsible person in the house the form completed and ready to be handed to the Civic Guard.

Published in The Connacht Tribune on 17th April, 1926.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

A 'mystery' DNA match was on my list of things to investigate.

I was fully expecting it to be a result of a NPE, but lo and behold, the living relative's grandmother turned out to have a misspelt version of a known family name. Investigating her took me to a soldier who is the right age (born about 1837) and has the 'right' father's name on his marriage cert., and may well be a brother of my 2x great grandfather.

Yet to be backed up with a paper trail, but the DNA doesn't lie.

**edit Just found some military papers which confirm the soldier's father's name is 'right' and he is from the right townland. A good day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Rmulvany

Just noticing (maybe it's not new) that GedMatch have refreshed their appearance, looks a lot more modern.
    Classic look is still available, I wonder what their plans are for the future?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,422 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

I noticed it was down for maintenance the other night - that explains why.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Rmulvany wrote: »
    Just noticing (maybe it's not new) that GedMatch have refreshed their appearance, looks a lot more modern.
    Classic look is still available, I wonder what their plans are for the future?

The business owner was bought out some months ago. Apparently classic will continue to be free (for how long?); the rest will be behind a paywall and will have/has new/better tools.

In light of the current debacle with the HSE, it is no surprise. Posted HERE some time ago in relation to genealogy and IT
    What is wrong with ‘officialdom’ and basic IT/customer service?…………..Of the (about) 50,000 computers in the HSE, about 40,000 are dependent on old software and 12,000 of those cannot be replaced because they are needed to run radiology and other systems that cannot run on newer software.
    Just shows it was an accident waiting to happen. Were the HSE a bank or insurer, it would be fined millions!

In the last week I have found four '2nd-3rd cousin' matches to my grandmother in Ancestry. I'm considering this a breakthrough as they are from the Brick Wall side of the family.
    They are American-Irish and I've been trying to trace back to their Irish grandparents using census records and what Ancestry throws up.
    It definitely makes me appreciated how accessible Irish civil records are.
    Is there a good site similar to IrishGenealogy for US records?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,539 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is there a good site similar to IrishGenealogy for US records?

There isn't even a single site for US records - its all state by state and even county by county; some utterly unavailable, some free and even up newer than the Irish ones.

Ancestry has most of the easily available ones.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,672 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Forum search is your friend:

Introduction to US Genealogy - albeit a little out of date.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭mindhorn

I caught a few minutes of Britain's Biggest Dig on BBC2 last night and thought it was a new series but see that it actually aired last year. Any use?

Oh I enjoyed that - about the cemetery they're moving.

Genealogy Forum Mod

You know those days where you wish we had early access to the 1925 census? Having one of those right now.

I've never used rootsireland before as I never felt the need to with the other subs and access to irishgenealogy.ie but have a question now that I've stumbled across a screenshot from there.

Is this some of the additional information you can get from rootsireland? Having access to the details of the bridge and groom's mother would nearly tempt me to splash out on a sub. Also, where is that info coming from if it's not available on irishgenealogy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Generally I've found RootsIreland poor value if you have access to other data bases. There's no link to images so you can't check transcriptions or missing data. There are errors in transcription and not all data was picked up especially in the early days.

I transcribed some information from Church of Ireland records in the RCB in Bremor Road a few years ago; RootsIreland put out a set of transcriptions a year later & I paid to check what they had - there were a lot of discrepancies between my transcriptions and Roots & without an image it's impossible to check.

I find Rootsireland is mixed - because many different organisations were involved in the transcription work.

I use it a lot in my professional work with the FMP version as a back-up.

Being able to search civil records where they have them by parents is a great boon.

Genealogy Forum Mod

So is having a record of both parents the norm for the records there? I know you both doubt the accuracy of the transciption work but the one example I came across has a mother's name which corresponds to my records. I've held off on adding it to my tree for the moment as I was hoping to see the source data for this. But I presume I can take it that if it matches on my end then it's most likely okay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

mindhorn wrote: »
    So is having a record of both parents the norm for the records there? I know you both doubt the accuracy of the transciption work but the one example I came across has a mother's name which corresponds to my records. I've held off on adding it to my tree for the moment as I was hoping to see the source data for this. But I presume I can take it that if it matches on my end then it's most likely okay?

Roots Ireland, like all similar services can only transcribe the details which are recorded on the original record.
    If a priest only recorded a baptism with the date, perhaps vague, the child name, parents names and sponsor's names, that's all you can get
    Everything else is a bonus, such as townland or street address, mother's maiden name, or any notes such as the later addition of marriage.

Thanks all. Safe to say that the mother's maiden name is correct. I think I'll make a list of any records I'm missing and go wild and spend the 15 quid on a day sub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Depends on what the record is. If the baptism is in a Catholic church it would be better to check the registers online at https://registers.nli.ie/ - the registers on the NLI site go up the the 1880s, while the Roots transcriptions in some parishes go up to the early 1900s.

Dublin, Cork & Kerry baptisms are on Irishgenealogy.ie which may be worth checking out.

It's a church marriage record. I have a copy of the marriage cert but this is the first I'm seeing a mention of the mother's maiden name.

No reason to doubt it then - if the church is habitually recording the women's names. A civil cert won't have a mother's name on it before 1956.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Went all out and spent 15 quid on a 24 hour sub. Can't say I'm impressed with the site to be honest. Cross checking some of the records I have and seeing if there's some info I'm missing about witnesses present, but I'm not evening finding the records I already have from irishgenealogy.

So I'm not going to get a whole lot of use out of it but if someone would like me to search something on their behalf drop me a PM.

The Genealogy Show is on this weekend with a variety of talks (including one by me!)

I'm going to host a Zoom party on Saturday night. If any of our regulars here would like to join, please send me a PM.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

pinkypinky wrote: »
    The Genealogy Show is on this weekend with a variety of talks (including one by me!)

I'm going to host a Zoom party on Saturday night. If any of our regulars here would like to join, please send me a PM.

Lots of very interesting speakers and topics - timing looks a bit weird though as many of the presentations seem to be in the early hours of the morning. Is this an error?

No, it's to cater to the world audience. Once a talk airs, it is then available on demand for a month.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭CassieManson

No, it's to cater to the world audience. Once a talk airs, it is then available on demand for a month.

OK thanks, I didn't realise it was a global event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,539 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Anyone looked up WWII era British honours? My mother thinks that a relation got an MBE during WWII but I suspect it was a BEM (British Empire Medal) if even.

Quick search of the London Gazette brings up nothing in either maiden or married name but they often used full names for that type of entry and I need to re-find the birth cert to check what her middle names were!

edit: forgot her middle name is totally illegible, off to that thread... will be an OCR nightmare if its what I think it may be.

L1011 wrote: »
    Anyone looked up WWII era British honours? My mother thinks that a relation got an MBE during WWII but I suspect it was a BEM (British Empire Medal) if even.

Quick search of the London Gazette brings up nothing in either maiden or married name but they often used full names for that type of entry and I need to re-find the birth cert to check what her middle names were!

edit: forgot her middle name is totally illegible, off to that thread... will be an OCR nightmare if its what I think it may be.

The London Gazette used be much easier to search years ago. I seldom find what I'm looking for now.

Trying to spend some time on the lesser know side of my tree, the family of my 3xG-Grandmother Judith/Judy Hartneady.
    Her husband is William Brady

I'm going through whatever records I have for mentions of other Hartneadys or Bradys (sponsors, witnesses etc)

I have the following baptism in Kilnoe Clare:
    Jan 1839
    24th:
    William, William Brady, Judy Hartneady
    S: Owen Brady, Judy Hartneady, Ballinahinch

My main Q is who is the Judy who is sponsoring?
    Surely it can't be the child's mother...
    Could it be the child's grandmother? If so, could Owen be his Grandfather?
    Could it, by chance, be the child's aunt by marriage (taking the married name Hartneady)

I tend not to look at sponsors or witnesses for clues as they could be anyone!
    But I appreciate any input :)
    Are there any traditions for RC sponsors, parents, siblings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,873 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Where can you sign up for the on-demand talks? Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

To answer the Q about a sponsor.... they tend to be close friend or family and of same age as parents such as a brother /sister. They are meant to take over the care of the child in this world should their parent(s) die so not just overview their spiritual welfare. For a firstborn, it is traditional that the witnesses to the marriage act as Godparents/sponsors.

Garlinge wrote: »
    To answer the Q about a sponsor.... they tend to be close friend or family and of same age as parents such as a brother /sister. They are meant to take over the care of the child in this world should their parent(s) die so not just overview their spiritual welfare. For a firstborn, it is traditional that the witnesses to the marriage act as Godparents/sponsors.

Thanks, I'll keep looking through with this in mind

• Advertisement

Where can you sign up for the on-demand talks? Thanks.

www.thegenealogyshowlive.com

£15 to access the talks for a month now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Trying to spend some time on the lesser know side of my tree, the family of my 3xG-Grandmother Judith/Judy Hartneady.
    Her husband is William Brady

I'm going through whatever records I have for mentions of other Hartneadys or Bradys (sponsors, witnesses etc)

I have the following baptism in Kilnoe Clare:
    Jan 1839
    24th:
    William, William Brady, Judy Hartneady
    S: Owen Brady, Judy Hartneady, Ballinahinch

My main Q is who is the Judy who is sponsoring?
    Surely it can't be the child's mother...
    Could it be the child's grandmother? If so, could Owen be his Grandfather?
    Could it, by chance, be the child's aunt by marriage (taking the married name Hartneady)

I tend not to look at sponsors or witnesses for clues as they could be anyone!
    But I appreciate any input :)
    Are there any traditions for RC sponsors, parents, siblings?

It's always important to look at sponsors, they usually confirm that you have the right family, if they have common names.
    In this case the mother has an uncommon surname nationally, but it may be common in a local area.

Sponsors are usually relatives or close friends, but sometimes are not, being chosen for convenience or as an honour.
    Judy / Judith may have been common in the maternal family perhaps the eldest granddaughters of another Judy. It is possible that the godmother is a first cousin.

When my father was baptised his nine year old brother was godfather. I asked the parish priest about this as we were looking at the register. He said that the sponsors were supposed to be confirmed but sometimes were not.
    It should also be remembered that confirmation was formerly held much closer to first communion than what we have now. So a nine year old might have been already confirmed.
    I would investigate the possibility of the child having cousins and aunts (including by marriage) also named Judith.
    It should also be mentioned that in much of Tipperary and Kilkenny, Judith and Johanna were used interchangeably. Clare being next door to Tipperary, this could be a practice in Clare also.

A minor enough complaint but I'm not a fan of the new layout of FTDNA. It's a bit messy when scrolling down through the list and worse when using the table view (should really freeze the top pane). And am I right in saying that there's no sort by match date option in the table view?

It also looks like they've changed the calculation of shared DNA. Someone who was near the top of my list previously shared 95 cM with me whereas now it's down to just 29 cM.

It also looks like they've changed the calculation of shared DNA. Someone who was near the top of my list previously shared 95 cM with me whereas now it's down to just 29 cM.

Yes, they've removed tiny segments.

I've only played around a bit but I think it's ok.

Genealogy Forum Mod

A minor enough complaint but I'm not a fan of the new layout of FTDNA. It's a bit messy when scrolling down through the list and worse when using the table view (should really freeze the top pane). And am I right in saying that there's no sort by match date option in the table view?

Hmm, yes, think you're right there. But the match dates have all changed to this year - must be when they applied the new algorithms.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

I'll have a proper read of the dna-explained post on it when I get a chance but I was just surprised to see one of my top matches drop way down the list. In hindsight it makes some sense as the two of us had no idea what the connection could be and for everyone else around the 95 cM mark I knew how we were related.

Looks like Gedmatch have changed their classic page layout. How am I able to see my most recent matches? The site used to have the match date listed but I don't see that now.

Why is it that RootsIreland is lacking in records for Co. Clare?

Every other county seems to be accounted for in Births/Marriages/Deaths etc.

Because Clare county library has that market cornered.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Do you mean the excel sheets that are on ClareLibrary.ie? I have used these before for some tracing where I knew what file to search in but I feel they would benefit from being included in a large searchable database.

Roots' search function is really helpful, especially is the family have have moved parishes or counties even over the years.

• Advertisement
Advertisement