Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The just man always comes off worst than the unjust ; discuss

Options
  • 11-06-2019 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Hi,

Non urgent and reflective matter:

with ref. to Mueller report over there in the US, there's an article (link below) by Tom MacCarthy verbalising a phenomenon that occurs, not I believe in this isolated case, but more generally. I submit it here and kindly ask if anybody has more references to it and perhaps a word or set of terminology for it:

"The principled are chained, and the unprincipled romp free. And in a debate over reality, the unprincipled will always win, because they will just lie, and they will make reality whatever they want it to be.”

i.e. law must work within the law's own reference set, but anti-law or criminality does not have to, and therefore may be predisposed to "win".

Cheers.

Link: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/11/robert-mueller-trump-russia-investigation

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Non-legal, and tangential yet related: Thrasymachus v Socrates in Book 1 of Plato's Republic.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭stabeek

thanks Grolschevik, will consult.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The problem is that the media is privatised and whoever owns it controls the information that is disseminated.

Twitter is unfiltered and allows the orange idiot spout whatever lies he wants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,769 Mod ✭✭✭✭nuac

Searching my library for Plato's various works. The actual books are small and easily lost
    Interesting idea, but can anyone come up with a snappier title within the terms of legal discussion?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

nuac wrote: »
    Searching my library for Plato's various works. The actual books are small and easily lost
    Interesting idea, but can anyone come up with a snappier title within the terms of legal discussion?

'"Justice" is merely that which is in the interest of the strongest'?

Edit: No, that's just an old essay title.

Further edit: "The just man always comes off worse than the unjust"

(Thrasymachus, Book 1, Plato's Republic, p85 Lee's translation in Penguin Classics; traditional reference 343d).

• Advertisement

Thanks, Grol. Will go with that.

Mod
    Amended title
    The just man always comes off worst than the unjust
    With thanks to Grolshevik for his classical erudition
    Eucharistó para polu

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The premise needs qualifying; what does "come off worst" mean? In real terms being just rather than unjust is deeply fully more fulfilling than eg lying your way in life so in fact and truth the just come off best.

Thank you! This has elucidated a situation I am in and resolved my feelings!

Graces7 wrote: »
    The premise needs qualifying; what does "come off worst" mean? In real terms being just rather than unjust is deeply fully more fulfilling than eg lying your way in life so in fact and truth the just come off best.

Yes, I think it means to come off worst purely materialistically. I also suspect it has a time limit too, as we can expect the unjust to show a good of short-termism though such concerns will be absent from their triumphalism. In any case, the unjust probably have a poor memory too.

Nevertheless, despite your valid point and all it's limitations, the unjust triumphalism can be stinging to the just person. I dare say it scars him/her, it must, though they can use Stoicism to deny it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

stabeek wrote: »
    Yes, I think it means to come off worst purely materialistically. I also suspect it has a time limit too, as we can expect the unjust to show a good of short-termism though such concerns will be absent from their triumphalism. In any case, the unjust probably have a poor memory too.

Nevertheless, despite your valid point and all it's limitations, the unjust triumphalism can be stinging to the just person. I dare say it scars him/her, it must, though they can use Stoicism to deny it.

Three years ago I would have agreed with you but I have changed and yes, grown. no stinging or scarring and no stoicism. I see that the unjust one is very ill at ease whereas I am at peace.

I have learned too to just walk on and say as little as possible . drives them nuts! Their victory as you say is short lived and bitter. like drinking salt water it leads to greater thirst

Advertisement