Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a surname

Options
  • 20-06-2019 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Is it possible to add a surname? Myself and child's dad are separated, he has his dad's surname I would like to add my surname too so he would have a double barrel name. Do I need to do it officially?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Is it possible to add a surname? Myself and child's dad are separated, he has his dad's surname I would like to add my surname too so he would have a double barrel name. Do I need to do it officially?

https://businessandlegal.ie/how-to-change-a-childs-surname-in-ireland

This has probably got all the info you need. I don’t think you can change it on the birth register, but there are other options it seems

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

I have had two friends slowly change their children's surnames through common usage as detailed in the link above. Getting the schools on board was a big help.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

How does the kid identify themselves? My friend's daughter complained to him becuase her mother was trying to double barrel the name and she didn't want it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Why is it suddenly an issue?
    Is it an issue for them, you or the Dad?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭cornflake1

How does the kid identify themselves? My friend's daughter complained to him becuase her mother was trying to double barrel the name and she didn't want it.

Oops, you weren't asking me!

• Advertisement
Advertisement