Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for trail bike

• 13-06-2019 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

I've been living in Whistler the last few years and only got into the MTB scene last year. I've been riding a 2012 rocky mountain slayer 70.

I really like the bike and want to buy a similar trail bike. The riding I hope to be doing will be mainly trail riding with the odd day in a bike park. I like jump trails and drops so a bit of travel would be nice but I doubt I'll get a whole lot of opportunity for that style of riding when I'm at home.

My budget would be about €1500. I don't really know what brands to look at or shops to look at in Ireland. I'm happy to go second hand (would love brand new but I'd prefer a good bike over newness). Has anyone any recommendations on where to look? Or if I should look into ex-rentals?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Whistler would definitely require a heavy DH style rig with big travel and coil shocks! :D

€1500 will get you the entry level stuff with basic suspension 120-130mm

So maybe look for ex-rental, special offiers with discount online retailers like Chainreaction or Halfords

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Peck3277 wrote: »
    My budget would be about €1500. ... I'm happy to go second hand (would love brand new but I'd prefer a good bike over newness).

You'd need to go secondhand: try adverts.ie and donedeal.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I'm not sure you'll find too many second hand bikes in shops. At €1,500 defo go second hand - you should be able to get a savage bike.

I'd check donedeal, adverts.ie and also pinkbike - https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/list/?location=86-*-*

Ex rentals can be ok - yes they can be looked after by good mechanics but they are also ridden like seaside donkeys - I wouldn't buy one myself. I'f prefer one / two careful (& mechanically minded) owners.

If you stick to well known brands - Trek, Giant, Orbea, Canyon, Specialized, Santa Cruz etc you shouldn't go wrong. Make sure the intention of the bike matches what you want to do - trail bike or xc bike or DH etc.

I'd be buying a 27.5 / 29 er - don't bother with a 26. I'd be looking for a dropper and would bargain down if suspension and/or frame bearings not recently serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭El Vino

Vitus Escarpe from CRC. Currently 10% off, GBP£1429.00 if you are willing to collect from or have delivered to an address in NI. That is about 1600 euro, bit more delivered to south €1730 but a lot of bike for the money.

https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/vitus-escarpe-mountain-bike-nx-1x11-2019/rp-prod179077

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Peck3277

fatbhoy wrote: »
    You'd need to go secondhand: try adverts.ie and donedeal.ie.
    If I was looking to buy a brand new bike but not entry level, say someone of medium experience what kind of money should I be looking at?

I think I'd probably lean towards buying second hand. Has anyone any tips for buying online?

I'll be moving back to Dublin when I get back. What are the chances of LBS knowing of people selling bikes second hand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

If I was looking to buy a brand new bike but not entry level, say someone of medium experience what kind of money should I be looking at?

I'd say a desirable non-carbon would be around 2.5K - 3K. Enduro, 160+mm travel, slack fork angle, about 14KG - 15KG.

Aluminium:
    - 2.8K: https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-soul-fire-2-2671384
    - 2.4K: https://www.rosebikes.com/rose-soul-fire-1-2671383

Carbon
    - 2.7K: Canyon Spectral CF 7.0
    - 3.2K: Canyon CF 8.0 (much better suspension)
    - 3.2K: Canyon Strive CF 6.0

There was another thread on 3K bikes.
    I think I'd probably lean towards buying second hand. Has anyone any tips for buying online?
    See what's out there. If my budget was 1.5K or below, that's the route I'd be taking.
    I'll be moving back to Dublin when I get back. What are the chances of LBS knowing of people selling bikes second hand?
    Don't know of any. Pretty sure you'd get much better value buying S/H privately.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭QueenMTBee

There is a FB page "Buy & Sell MTB Ireland". Most of the mountain bikers I know sell and buy their bikes and gear on there. Mountain biking is growing in Ireland but it's still quite a close-knit community. Most people are genuine but obviously a bit of discretion is required since it's FB!

Advertisement