Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Childcare costs and flexibility Dublin

Options
  • 03-04-2019 9:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. I had a search but couldn't find quite what I was looking for so here goes.

I'm considering going the single mother route (if possible) and I want to get an idea of costs. From what I've read childcare in Dublin costs in the region of 1,000, would that be right? I also wanted to know if creches have reduced rates depending on the number of days the child attends? So if I only needed 3 days a week would it be cheaper? Or do they tend to insist you pay for the full week?

Separately, I currently live in a one bedroom apartment and thought I could get away with that until they're 2/3....am I mad? I need real parent advice!!

Thanks guys

Comments

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I can't give you details on Dublin prices but creches around here do either a full week or a 3 day week rate.

Then remember you have the ECCE scheme. That will make a nice dent in the childcare costs and then once you get to school age it's wraparound care - our creche was 32 for the full day during school holidays and is 12 for afterschool.

You'll get child benefit and also the child will have a free GP card up to age 6. There's talk of a free dental scheme being rolled out too for children but I've got VHI dental anyway.

A one bed should be fine if it's just the two of you unless it's really tiny. Have a think about if you've room for a cot, buggy, highchair etc, and you can pick carefully the ones that take up least room. If you have a partner then it could be a bit cramped. We had a 2 bed apartment until our son was 4 and it was getting a bit cramped towards the end and we missed having a secure garden he could play in but there were plenty of park trips.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I live in North Co. Dublin and costs for my first daughter were €1,084 per month for a 5 day week. We got a 5% discount on the second child.

They're on a 4 day week at the moment, it is a bit cheaper but nowhere close to 20% cheaper - I think it's 8-10%. None of the other creches in our area offer a partial week, and our creche has started to put pressure on, saying it might not last also.

I've never had to manage a child in a one bed apartment so won't pretend I know, sorry!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

It is very difficult to secure a three day week in a crèche in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Is child minder an option?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks all for taking the time to reply!

Neyite, yes it would be just the two of us and it's quite a large one bed apartment.

Sebastian and Lazygal, that's what I feared, that it may be difficult to get a partial week! I would most likely do a 5 days week but just wanted to get an idea.

Theteal, maybe! I really don't know. I'm putting the feelers out on questions.

I'm almost 36 and single and have some tough decisions to make. Money will be tight but i think I will get by. I'll probably have a million questions posted in here over the next while :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Thanks all for taking the time to reply!

Neyite, yes it would be just the two of us and it's quite a large one bed apartment.

Sebastian and Lazygal, that's what I feared, that it may be difficult to get a partial week! I would most likely do a 5 days week but just wanted to get an idea.

Theteal, maybe! I really don't know. I'm putting the feelers out on questions.

I'm almost 36 and single and have some tough decisions to make. Money will be tight but i think I will get by. I'll probably have a million questions posted in here over the next while :)

Best of luck to you, whichever road you go down! I know a girl who is a "single mother by choice" and she's mentioned a helpful Facebook group that she is in. Might be worth having a look?

It is good to see someone taking control of their fertility and facing up to brave decisions too.

• Administrators Posts: 13,778 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

A baby doesn't take up much space. Sharing a room with a 4/5/6 year old wouldn't be impossible. Childcare costs will be your biggest expense. But there are cheaper options to creches. There may also be community crèches in your area. Worth looking at.

It's not clear from your post whether the baby is here/on the way and you are considering leaving the dad, or if you are thinking of going down the insemination/adoption route... But if the baby has a dad who is present then make sure you sort out court ordered maintenence.

Sometimes though if the dad is around and pretty much useless as any sort of help /support it's just easier in the long run to go it alone. You'll always know where you stand and you'll know you're only depending on yourself, rather than always expecting/hoping for support from someone else.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭Sono

theteal wrote: »
    Is child minder an option?

Child minder is more expensive in Dublin from what I’ve seen anyway. Most looking for 10-20 euro per hour, our crèche works out about €6 an hour.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I paid 800pm for a 3 day week in Dublin city with a 10% reduction on the second child's fee .

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I paid 800pm for a 3 day week in Dublin city with a 10% reduction on the second child's fee .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,042 ✭✭✭✭neris

Full time in dublin city is about €1100-1500 with reductions for less days however if you want 3 days easiest option will be 3 days in a row (mon tues weds or weds thurs friday) as it makes things easier for the creche to line up a 2 day child opposite you. You will also have a small reduction in fees with the CCSP scheme which can be further reduced depending on your income and social welfare status.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Jade2015

Would you qualify for the CCSP scheme also community run creches tend to be cheaper

Ring your local Community Childcare Commitee and see if you are entitled to any schemes as if you are on loan parent income or back to work scheme you may be entitled to supplement. It can be as much as 145eur a week off your fulltime creche costs

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭anndub

We pay 680 per calender month for a 4 day week in a crèche in Dublin 9. Had no problem finding options for 3 or 4 day care in the area although you would need to book early as places are not plentiful. Was quoted between the above price and 920 (large chain) for the four crèches I checked out. Childminder quoted 60 euro per day in own home.

Probably worth ringing round your own area as it seems the sitaution varies drastically between areas in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

We pay 960 for a four day week. It is the only crèche in our area that does part time and I get the feeling it’s being phased out. We are in South Dublin. The apartment should not be a problem. Young kids tend to stick to you like glue anyway regardless of the size of the home. I’d try to borrow as much as you can though so you aren’t hoarding toys etc for when they get older.

Advertisement