Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leave No Trace

Options
  • 11-05-2019 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭

Looking for others' perspectives: I was recently with someone in Ticknock who discarded a cigarette butt on the ground; I admonished them, mentioned the leave-no-trace thing, picked it up, and told them I'd take it home to dispose of it properly if they weren't going to; they were shocked and went into a huff.

I'm not sure if I was right to do that: maybe I should mind my own business more, and be less reactionary. The other person was a very close family member.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Looking for others' perspectives: I was recently with someone in Ticknock who discarded a cigarette butt on the ground; I admonished them, mentioned the leave-no-trace thing, picked it up, and told them I'd take it home to dispose of it properly if they weren't going to; they were shocked and went into a huff.

Who's right?

You - you were right.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭kerry37

You're right and fair play. Sometimes its easier to just say nothing in that situation. I dont mountain bike but I hike and if I was with someone that littered I'd also pick it up, real hate of mine seeing people do that while out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,524 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

You'd be better to admonish your mate for Smoking more so than flicking the fag butt.

Plus throwing cigs away like that could start a forest fire if the ground was very dry!

3 Sins all in one!!! :eek: :eek: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,094 ✭✭✭prunudo

Noticed a patch of scrub/grass burnt in Djouce last weekend and bare in mind it hasn't exactly been dry weather either. Only about 5mx2m on the side of the forest road but that no doubt was caused by a discarded cigarette so no you didn't over react.
    From my experience, and probably a bit of a generalisation but I've found smokers to be oblivious to the fact that dropping the cigarette butt is littering.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,813 ✭✭✭Alkers

Absolutely in the right, would the same person have thrown a sweet wrapper? Have a few mates who smoke and after they're over you'd be picking but out of the flower beds for the next few days

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Ah good comments, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭El Vino

Slightly off topic but I saw someone getting fined for throwing a butt away in London recently, they looked incredulous that what they had done was littering and they were liable for a fixed penalty. Well done to the OP that took balls.

fatbhoy wrote: »
    Ah good comments, thanks.

Sometimes depending on circumstances it can feel awkward to speak out and often you may feel its easier to say nothing but you did right thing. Never be afraid to stand up for your principles and or to call someone out for littering.

Advertisement