Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The National Party (Also known as the Lets spread some hate party...)

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

This raises questions about the boundaries between religion and politics and why nasty ideas can gain a freer pass under the guise of religion than they would under the guise of a mere political party.
    Well we have discovered that the NI equality laws are more comprehensive than those in other parts of the UK or in RoI. "Its an ill wind that blows no good" and the legacy of "the Troubles" also makes NI hospitals a good place to go for their expertise in gunshot wounds and kneecap injuries.

Holland on the other hand, still has a lot to learn...
    According to Dutch media advisors from the anti-discrimination bureau MiND said that, while homophobic abuse was usually a crime, it was justifiable if you were Muslim due to laws on freedom of religious expression

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,676 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

recedite wrote: »
    I'm going to be a tiny bit sceptical on this one. From a quick google, the only even vaguely mainstream news outlet carrying this story is the Express. All the other sites that carry it have names like terrorismwatch.org, politicalstew.com, pegida.uk, pcwatch.blogspot.com. And they all repeat the Express report verbatim.

The Expess credits the report to Nick Gutteridge, whose extensive published articles have a limited number of themes - "'Stop INSULTING voters!' Leavers AND Remainers DID say Brexit meant no more single market"; "BETRAYAL OF THE ENGLISH: Scottish MPs STILL rule England after Cameron 'sold voters a pup'"; "Migrant crisis: Club-wielding refugees fight running battles near Stalingrad Metro, Paris"; "Calais rape: Female journalist 'assaulted by refugees' at Jungle Camp". The same Nick left his previous job in 2014 after his editor had to publicly apologise for a piece by Nick that blamed the Hillsborough stadium on football hooligans, the findings of the Hillborough Independent Panel and the widespread publicity that attended them having apparently completely escaped his attention. A year later he was in trouble for writing an article ("UK next? Doc's warn AIDS TB and diseases eradicated generations ago brought in by migrants") based entirely anonymous material which, it turned out, he had sourced from Prophecy Update, a right-wing millenial Christian website ("WATCHING FOR THE SIGNS OF THE COMING CHRIST").

So, yeah, I'm not saying there's nothing behind this story. I'm just saying I'd like to read another take on it.

Peregrinus wrote: »
    So, yeah, I'm not saying there's nothing behind this story. I'm just saying I'd like to read another take on it.
    You don't trust the Brits then. Hows your double dutch?
    De homos and de moslims.

Well, as I said, I never said there was nothing] behind this story. And I do note that, unless Google Translate is letting me down (which is unthinkable, surely?) this report does not confirm the claim by the Express that MiND said homophobic abuse "was justifiable if you were Muslim due to laws on freedom of religious expression". This report only says that MiND said negative statements by Muslims about gay people should be seen in the context of faith. Nothing about them being justifiable, and no sideswipes at religious freedom laws.

Who am I to believe? Long years of experience have taught me not to believe the Express, but I have no particular reason to believe the Piost either. I'm suspending judgment until I see the offending statement by MiND, rather than any journalists representation of what the statement was supposed to have said.

Obviously MiND said something that they're not prepared to stand over, since they have withdrawn their initial statement, and apparently very quickly. But, as to exactly what it was, il nous faut du scepticisme, et encore du scepticisme, et toujours du scepticisme!

I think you're overlooking the obvious here. Everybody knows that de moslims say some very nasty things about de homos. So its not much of a story... unless you're interested in the finer points of equality law and the balances at play between freedom of speech, freedom of religious expression, and what exactly constitutes the dividing line between those and "hate speech".
    Which most people aren't particularly fascinated with.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭FA Hayek

Remember this?
    http://www.torontosun.com/2012/11/16/gay-activists-have-met-their-match-with-muslim-barbers

Another take on the gay wedding cake controversy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgWIhYAtan4

Double standards alive and well but Muslims are a minority, so they must be protected and when I say protected, exempt for the usual laws and standards applied to the rest of the population.

Doesn't make sense? Of course it doesn't, but that is the progressive mindset for you.

I think you're overlooking the obvious here. Everybody knows that de moslims say some very nasty things about de homos. So its not much of a story... unless you're interested in the finer points of equality law and the balances at play between freedom of speech, freedom of religious expression, and what exactly constitutes the dividing line between those and "hate speech".
    Which most people aren't particularly fascinated with.
    But the story wasn't "Muslim's say nasty things about Homos"; it was "Dutch regulatory body says its OK for Muslims (but no-one else) to say nasty things about Homos". That would be a big story.

Well it was apparently only some kind of regional "hotline" complaints service, and they seem to have backtracked on their original advice as soon as the media got involved.
    But the very fact that it happened at all shows the people operating the service have a lot to learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Perhaps it shows that they just learned what they had to learn?

As in... don't send out Press Releases without considering how they may be interpreted first.

• Advertisement

Pehaps what we should learn from this is that they have learned what they had to learn, and we also should be open to learning what we have to learn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Sounds a bit like leftie talk to me... take it elsewhere! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

THE HIGH COURT has dismissed an application by National Party co-founder James Reynolds to continue an injunction preventing the Irish Cattle and Sheep Farmers Association (ICSA) from removing him from senior positions he had held with the organisation.

http://www.thejournal.ie/james-reynolds-icsa-3467197-Jun2017/?utm_source=shortlink
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]Im personally non partisan when it comes to political parties, that said- James,s views are his own business outside of work, As long as someones political activity isn,t coming into conflict with a persons work schedule, his/her political activity shouldn,t be an issue, this smacks as thoughtcrime .[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Qs

Do you not think the ICSA need to be able to deal with politicians etc to lobby? Its a bit difficult if Reynolds is accusing those people of treason.

If the membership of ICSFA want to elect somebody else instead to represent them, that is their prerogative. Its not clear from the article whether the membership were consulted though.
    In this article it seems to have been "the management committee" which wanted to dismiss him, due to his political views, and that could be seen as "contrary to natural justice" (even if it was within their rule book) So if he does get run out of the association now, a judicial review on those grounds might still be an avenue open to him.
    That is, if he has any money left, which is unlikely after costs being awarded against him. But then, justice is really only for the very wealthy (or those on free legal aid).

I had to laugh at the name of his house, given in the first article; Rorkes Drift. Its his last stand, and he's down to the last bullet now ;)

I had to laugh at the name of his house, given in the first article; Rorkes Drift. Its his last stand, and he's down to the last bullet now ;)
    And he has completely run out of apostrophes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭spoonerhead

Brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

His summer house is called the Wolfs Lair [sic]. Allegedly. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭rgossip30

I guess the thread should be called Hate The National Party or else, judging by the comments .I wonder is there any party that is liked, has anyone even looked at the website?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

maybe its some kind of pun, like "Finnegans Wake"?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rgossip30 wrote: »
    I guess the thread should be called Hate The National Party or else, judging by the comments .I wonder is there any party that is liked, has anyone even looked at the website?

Two years to add this nugget
    *slow clap*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,136 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Cabaal wrote: »
    Two years to add this nugget
    *slow clap*

And they still aren't acutually registered as a political party.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

The registration fee ate into their Doritos budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,845 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I call it as I see it - I’ve had some dealings professionally with a prominent member of the NP and a more respectful and friendly man you could not meet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I call it as I see it - I’ve had some dealings professionally with a prominent member of the NP and a more respectful and friendly man you could not meet.

I'm guessing you're not a gay Muslim then? ;)

The NP has prominent members?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,463 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Appearances are often deceptive.

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You know what, you're right!

After all, friendly men want the death penalty to be reintroduced in Ireland so it can be used on doctors

https://youtu.be/S4Pk1d0ob1w?t=540

:rolleyes:

Also.... prominent?
    there's chicken eggs more famous then any NP members.

Folks. I am NOT a supporter of the NP. I just saw the thread on the front page and read some of the comments and out of fairness to the guy I just said he was very respectful in my very limited dealings with him. Don’t shoot the messenger...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,158 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that's not really that far removed (as a concept) from someone turning up in court and giving a character reference for a sex offender.
    'well, he never tried to molest *me*' is probably a weird subset of damning with faint praise.

people are not calling the NP out here for whether they are personable one on one, they are calling them out on their political views.

that's not really that far removed (as a concept) from someone turning up in court and giving a character reference for a sex offender.
    'well, he never tried to molest *me*' is probably a weird subset of damning with faint praise.

people are not calling the NP out here for whether they are personable one on one, they are calling them out on their political views.

That’s fine I get that. I actually know very little about them. I just know one of the guys involved through my line of work. That’s all.

• Advertisement

"One may smile, and smile, and be a villain"

- Hamlet, I, v

(Brush up your Shakespeare, start quoting him now!)

The NP has prominent members?

...attached to their foreheads, more than likely.

The National Party is attempting to disrupt the 2040 mulicultural plan which we must all adhere to.

The National Party is attempting to disrupt the 2040 mulicultural plan which we must all adhere to.

What plan is this?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Odhinn wrote: »
    What plan is this?

The latest iteration of the white genocide conspiracy theory I suspect.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

What plan is this?

http://npf.ie/project-ireland-2040-national-planning-framework/. You have not heard of the national plan ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,537 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

http://npf.ie/project-ireland-2040-national-planning-framework/. You have not heard of the national plan ?

That's a plan to cope with the projected population increase, not a plan to increase the population. Did you even read this?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

That's a plan to cope with the projected population increase, not a plan to increase the population. Did you even read this?
    . Did I say a plan to increase the population the increase however will also be from migrants . Read my post. Those who object however the answer is we need them to pay our pensions

. The projected population increase i Did I say a plan to increase the population. Read my post.

You said "multicultural plan". That's not exactly subtle.

• Advertisement

Yes I had, but as your understanding of it is completely wrong I'd no idea that was what you were referring to.

You said "multicultural plan". That's not exactly subtle.

The population increase will be largely made up of non nationals split hairs if you want and we need them to pay our pensions .

The population increase will be largely made up of non nationals split hairs if you want and we need them to pay our pensions .

...where does the plan state that?

Interesting that you conflate facts with splitting hairs.

Have you a source for this non-national claim?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

The population increase will be largely made up of non nationals

What's your source on that? If you look at Irish population demographics this doesn't appear to be the case. Currently, less than 10% of our population growth is due to migration.

478487.JPG

smacl wrote: »
    What's your source on that? If you look at Irish population demographics this doesn't appear to be the case. Currently, less than 10% of our population growth is due to migration.

478487.JPG

Now now, don't upset them with silly facts and figures!

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    silly facts and figures!
    It doesn't all add up. The link says
    In 2006, 10% of the population (420,000 people) were foreign nationals, while 24% of births were to mothers born outside of the country. A 2015 study showed that almost 1 in 8 people living in Ireland were born abroad.
    It also predicts zero rate of population growth for next year.

Meanwhile Coveney plans to double the population in towns and cities outside Dublin. Where is this New Population going to come from?

Meanwhile Coveney plans to double the population in towns and cities outside Dublin. Where is this New Population going to come from?

From Dublin.....

Ireland's regional cities should double in size to counter the growing influence of Dublin, Simon Coveney said.

"I want to ensure that these cities have sufficient critical mass to act as effective counter balances to Dublin and that there is, in turn, real integration between the regional cities and their surrounding local areas."

From Dublin.....
    You misunderstand the plan.
    There is no intention to evacuate (or even to slightly shrink) Dublin.
    But there is a realisation that it is already overcrowded and its infrastructure is already creaking. Hence the new arrivals will be encouraged to go somewhere else.

P

https://www.cso.ie/en/releasesandpublications/er/pme/populationandmigrationestimatesapril2018/. The link shows the net migration figure for 2017 and 2018 and the increase of migrants 50% of those who emigrated are Irish. The highest number of immigrants since2008 . The link below shows the projected net rate to 2046 page 18 . Based on this it shows the growth into the country will be from migrants as Irish continue to emigrate. The children from migrants will also add to the growth .
    The M1 senario the most optimistic is correct for 2018.
    https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/population/populationandlabourforceprojections2016-2046/. IBEC chief says 10 million by 2050 and it will be great https://www.thejournal.ie/ireland-population-forecast-1970782-Mar2015/.

http://www.finfacts.ie/Irish_finance_news/articleDetail.php?17-of-Irish-born-live-overseas-20-of-Irish-population-foreign-born-169. Based on the past 20 years experience this is likely to continue and the indigenous Irish population will get smaller .

Advertisement