Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish to English Translation please? From Gravestone.

Options
  • 17-06-2020 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

Moderator please feel free to move;

Looking for translation please. Words from relatives gravestone. A few words I am unsure of? Could they be old Irish? I'm getting around 90% of the words but....Help! Thank you in advance.

"In-dil-Cuimne
    Seain O Broin
    A fuair baran 6ad La
    Aibreain
    Lucj Cumainn Sinn Fein agus
    Oglaig na h-Eireann Kilcruise
    A jos"

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,858 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

OL16 wrote: »
    A few words I am unsure of? Could they be old Irish? I'm getting around 90% of the words but....Help! Thank you in advance.

I don't think there's any Old Irish there, but I'd guess they might have engraved it in the traditional Celtic font.
    "In-dil-Cuimne
    Seain O Broin
    A fuair baran 6ad La
    Aibreain
    Lucj Cumainn Sinn Fein agus
    Oglaig na h-Eireann Kilcruise
    A jos"

"I ndil chuimhne
    Seáin Ó Broin
    A fuair bás ar an 6ú lá
    d'Aibreáin
    Lucht Chumainn Sinn Féin agus
    Óglaigh na hÉireann Kilcruise
    A thóg."

In loving memory of Seán Ó Broin, who died on the 6th of April 1920. Erected by the people of the Kilcruise branch of Sinn Féin and Óglaigh na hÉireann (Irish Volunteers/IRA)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭OL16

Thanks IO. You got the words I missed. Yes, it must be the traditional Celtic Font.

Advertisement