Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Beauty Issues during Covid 19 - Megathread - Hair, nails, brows etc

Comments

I’m joining the reblonding sisterhood tomorrow, SO EXCITED

It’s a joyous day!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

After a rather long stint of unemployment and all the general covid stuff, I'm finally getting my hair cut on Saturday! I am stupidly excited! My pal is also getting her hair done so we're heading for dinner after just to go somewhere :pac: Can't waste a good blow dry these days!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Twee. wrote: »
    After a rather long stint of unemployment and all the general covid stuff, I'm finally getting my hair cut on Saturday! I am stupidly excited! My pal is also getting her hair done so we're heading for dinner after just to go somewhere :pac: Can't waste a good blow dry these days!

Enjoy the day and spoil yourself!!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

I didn't see this thread before now! I must admit, I am lucky that I don't colour my hair (yet), so I didn't need to get it done over lockdown. I had just had it cut about 3 weeks before they closed. I have naturally curly hair, so its easy to maintain. I was glad to get it cut mid July though and I got a good bit chopped off as it was getting heavy and the layers were too long.

I probably won't need to get it cut again until next month.

I also don't get my nails done, so had no need to worry about those either! I'm not into getting much done, apart from my brows and tinting my lashes. I bought a lash tint kit and never ended up using it. I keep forgetting and I never have the energy by the end of the day to bother with it!

neonsofa wrote: »
    Enjoy the day and spoil yourself!!!

Thaaaanks! I bloody well will :pac:
    Ciarrai76 wrote: »

I also don't get my nails done, so had no need to worry about those either! I'm not into getting much done, apart from my brows and tinting my lashes. I bought a lash tint kit and never ended up using it. I keep forgetting and I never have the energy by the end of the day to bother with it!

Brows are next on my list, tinted at home over lockdown but the shaping really needs help now at this stage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I have The Fear about another lockdown, but have my next hair appointment booked for next Friday so should be all good for that. Hard to believe it’s been nearly 8 weeks since I last got it done. Going 20 weeks without a root touch-up has really changed my perception of “bad” roots!!

I’m the same....I’ve appointment in two wks and I’m actually going to change it

Have made the big decision to go back ballyage.

I just went through too much root wise....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,425 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm booked in tomorrow for my hair for the same reason...lockdown fear.
    I get to go into my office on Monday (on my own,to check post) and it'll be my first time back in town since March. Going to get my brows and lashes done.

I have a voucher for a spa and I'd love a facial but I think I'll leave it a little bit longer.

I’m the same....I’ve appointment in two wks and I’m actually going to change it

Have made the big decision to go back ballyage.

I just went through too much root wise....

Sis, its a great club to be in.... welcome <3

I got my eyebrows shaped and tinted and my lashes tinted yesterday in Benefit on South William Street.
    I am so happy with the result. I know they're a little pricey but the waxing was totally painless. I'm 29 and the only other time I had my eyebrows done was getting them threaded when I was 21.
    I have so much more shape to them and the dye worked really well because I had blonde hairs I'd never noticed.
    I looked like a surprised owl before filling them in and now I feel my face looks more put together!

Fresh hair and fresh eyebrows.I'm ready for another lockdown...which hopefully won't come.

• Advertisement

I got my eyebrows shaped and tinted and my lashes tinted yesterday in Benefit on South William Street.
    I am so happy with the result. I know they're a little pricey but the waxing was totally painless. I'm 29 and the only other time I had my eyebrows done was getting them threaded when I was 21.
    I have so much more shape to them and the dye worked really well because I had blonde hairs I'd never noticed.
    I looked like a surprised owl before filling them in and now I feel my face looks more put together!

Fresh hair and fresh eyebrows.I'm ready for another lockdown...which hopefully won't come.

I was the exact same on Friday with my brows!

Although id been going to mahon point benefit for the last id say 6 years, never an issue and the girls were always lovely there! But they are gone now as debanhams is out of there. So i went to a lovely little beauticians in Douglas, and it cost me 18e instead of 37.50 i paid in Benefit!!!!
    And i was delighted with them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 psawyer

Hi all,
    This has been annoying me for a while and I thought I would run it by you here to see what you think. I get my hair coloured quite regularly as I’m dark but have grey roots. ( I’ll fight it to the bitter end) Anyway, I go to a local hairdresser in a small town outside Dublin where I live and it’s the only decent one locally. The girl has been doing my hair for years, she’s not the owner, but she’s great. The last 2 times I’ve gone, I’ve asked for her but the young trainee has done my colour and my hairdresser did my blow dry. It cost 80e for an all over colour and blow dry. No cut. I was a bit shocked but of course said nothing! The young girl doing the colour never and I mean never stops talking. I know her life story and she causally dropped the c word into her conversation a few times. They also have a terrible habit of leaving the colour all over my forehead . Even writing this and reading back sounds ridiculous!! I think I’m going to change hairdressers! Just wondering if that would be the standard price for a colour and cut? No highlights or balayage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Foweva Awone

psawyer wrote: »
    Hi all,
    This has been annoying me for a while and I thought I would run it by you here to see what you think. I get my hair coloured quite regularly as I’m dark but have grey roots. ( I’ll fight it to the bitter end) Anyway, I go to a local hairdresser in a small town outside Dublin where I live and it’s the only decent one locally. The girl has been doing my hair for years, she’s not the owner, but she’s great. The last 2 times I’ve gone, I’ve asked for her but the young trainee has done my colour and my hairdresser did my blow dry. It cost 80e for an all over colour and blow dry. No cut. I was a bit shocked but of course said nothing! The young girl doing the colour never and I mean never stops talking. I know her life story and she causally dropped the c word into her conversation a few times. They also have a terrible habit of leaving the colour all over my forehead . Even writing this and reading back sounds ridiculous!! I think I’m going to change hairdressers! Just wondering if that would be the standard price for a colour and cut? No highlights or balayage.

Would you not just ring ahead and talk to the girl you want and explain you want her to do it all? I mean in her position, I'd rather a customer did that than go somewhere else, at least you'd be giving her a chance to rectify the situation.

It's not a big ask. I'm very picky about where I go for hair, nails, beauty treatments, etc. I request the person I want by name when booking my appointments and I wouldn't be a bit happy if that wasn't respected. By the way, I'm very loyal to the particular professionals I go to for my various bits, and it's not just about the quality of the treatment - I don't like chatty people, I'm more comfortable with people who are nice and polite but get on with the job without small talk. So it's not unreasonable of you to want to avoid that trainee.

Not sure about prices, I go to a hairdresser down the country where I'm from. I think it costs about 70 for cut and colour, or about 110 if I get highlights as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Hi all,

Have they increased their prices post covid?Think mine is usually 69 for naas area.

If you want someone in particular doing your hair then make it clear on the phone that you dont want your app moved to anyone else. If it happens again then personally id change salons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,144 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I had a similar issue with a major Dublin salon I no longer attend. Would book and be charged for a certain staff member (who was more expensive than most of the others - they had three tiers of staff and priced accordingly) but someone else would do my colour. One day after we talked colour, they said "X is going to do your colour now and I'll be back to you to do the cut, is that ok" and I actually had the guts to say that it wasn't ok. If I was paying for a certain person I wanted that person. Appointment took 4 hours in the end but I got what I paid for from then on!

Thats weird, I have a particular girl I go to and one time I had booked in with her and she asked would it be okay for someone else to do the colour, that she'd do the consultation and choose the colours but the application would be done by this other girl. I said yeah no worries. Then the next day, day before my app, receptionist rang me to make sure that I was aware that the colour was not being done by my usual girl. Id imagine they know that some people would be picky, so i would just say it to them when booking, can you make sure that it will be [girls name] doing the colour and that she is available for that entire slot time as the last couple times it has been someone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36 psawyer

Thanks all. I’ll just have to woman up and grow a pair!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

My hairdresser is making sure that you only get your colour/cut done by the one person now - it is a Covid precaution, cuts down on the contact tracing, and to be honest I much prefer it. I presumed every hairdresser was doing this and thought it was a great change enforced by Covid :D

cee_jay wrote: »
    My hairdresser is making sure that you only get your colour/cut done by the one person now - it is a Covid precaution, cuts down on the contact tracing, and to be honest I much prefer it. I presumed every hairdresser was doing this and thought it was a great change enforced by Covid :D

Good point and actually thats what should be happening in all salons, both hair and beauty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Thanks all. I’ll just have to woman up and grow a pair!!!
    I would definitely say something and if you're not happy with the outcome, vote with your feet.

I've noticed that with mine too. There is a trainee, who is excellent, and often did the colour in the past. But now my own hairdresser does the lot.

No so great if the original hairdresser does a bad job and you wanna change without making a fuss :pac:

neonsofa wrote: »
    No so great if the original hairdresser does a bad job and you wanna change without making a fuss :pac:

When I rang to make an appointment, I was asked if I was happy with my hair the last time, and if I wanted to go to the same, or switch to someone else.
    I have to say I have been really impressed with my hairdresser and everything since this all kicked off. I've my next appointment on Friday (2nd one since lockdown) so will see if they are still as good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Are we all ready for lockdown roots part deux :D

I got mine done two weeks ago. Wasn’t booked in again until Christmas week so hope they’ll be open again by then, if we do enter level 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,049 ✭✭✭appledrop

I got mine done two weeks ago. Wasn’t booked in again until Christmas week so hope they’ll be open again by then, if we do enter level 5.

Yep, I'm booked in for tomorrow so that will see me through lockdown. So relieved.

I have returned to ballyage....I just can’t go through it again.

The actual thoughts of level 5 now again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I got mine done 3 weeks ago so it should hopefully see me through lockdown round two.
    I made emergency last minute appointments for brows and nails for tomorrow, I usually wear my acrylics very long so I’m hoping if I make the length super short I’ll get through lockdown with them intact, even if I have a lot of regrowth.
    I really don’t want to have to attempt to remove them myself and pay the full whack of €70 for a full fresh set after lockdown :pac:

Brows would usually be something I wouldn’t be pushed about but I absolutely destroyed mine in round 1 and they still aren’t fully recovered from my butchering, so I’m trying to avoid having that happen again :(

Roots and lites done last week, my nails are ok but probably need to be done in about 2 weeks, brows also not quite ready to be done, if we could delay lockdown for another 2 weeks it would be great lol.

Nail appointment for next Tuesday so keeping my fingers crossed. Realised this morning that I really need my hair done but also realised that because my hairdresser comes to me I can't now get it done. Not working at the moment so was leaving it as long as I could. Guess I've a box of dye left from last lockdown as it was a special offer on two boxes.

Thanks for the reminder!!!
    Completely forgot about hairdressers and level 5 implication until I saw this and now I'm having minor panic attack as roots are due and I was putting it off for a few weeks... Alarm set to call her first thing... Another tough break for her and so many if/when it happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I can deal with a hairy November if it meant we could have a merry hair free Christmas :D ah god I know it’s considered selfish to say but the thoughts of looking like the back of a bus for Christmas is depressing. Even if there’s nowhere to go I just like to feel nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,449 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Nope! My roots need to be done and I don’t know when I’ll get the time to get them done as I’m up to my eyes in work. Happened earlier in the year too just as I was due to get my hair done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Minier81

I got spooked earlier and booked the hair for tomorrow morning!

Wow, went to book pre Christmas nails and waxing on their app just now and the 16th is the closest I could get. Looks like other people are more on the ball than me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Just rescheduled my salon appointment to tomorrow instead of next Thursday, luckily when I went onto the site they had several available appointments left for tomorrow but I did it as soon as I heard mention of a lockdown. Within half an hour it dawned on me the time I picked doesnt suit so went back onto the page to reschedule again, all appointments were fully booked out, by the sounds of things everything will be booked out until Christmas.

I will make my appointment after all, delighted I was able to reschedule, ill get a haircut tomorrow too just incase.

Ah balls, ALL of my appointments (hair, nails, eyebrows, eyelashes, etc) are booked for the week after next, and I'm too broke to try to bring them forward (payday isn't until next weekend. :o)

Don't care about most of them except the hair, it was overdue to be done anyways and the greys are really taking over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭PoisonIvyBelle

Got mine done a week early just over a week ago in case we went into level 4 at the time, next apt is 2nd week in Dec so I'm hoping they'll be open then too!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Gemma1982

I’m due to get long overdue hair colour next weekend. Tempted to take a day of annual leave and try and get in to the hairdressers tomorrow Or Tuesday instead. It’s hard to know though.

I got my hair done the day Level 3 was announced for Dublin. I was due to hairdresser this weekend for a toner through the ends. Have another appointment for 25th November for my greys to be covered just in time for my birthday. But there will no longer be a birthday meal or trip to a hotel now. I know when I was in the hairdresser last time they were already booking up for Christmas, so wouldn't be surprised if there was no availability when they reopened :(

Actually had an app for today anyway and im thrilled.

Just saw the my salon is closing down, Preen on Dame St. So sad for them. Hopefully the team get employed elsewhere around the city when reopenings happen.

• Advertisement

I got my hair done the day Level 3 was announced for Dublin. I was due to hairdresser this weekend for a toner through the ends. Have another appointment for 25th November for my greys to be covered just in time for my birthday. But there will no longer be a birthday meal or trip to a hotel now. I know when I was in the hairdresser last time they were already booking up for Christmas, so wouldn't be surprised if there was no availability when they reopened :(

I was thinking that aswell, my next apt was 28th nov and that was my Xmas colour, so I assume il just have missed that now and won’t get in before Xmas? Like they can’t do what they did the last time and try and back fill everyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Had an appointment for my hair this Saturday, went in on the way home from work yesterday and she put my colour in and I washed it out myself at home. Booked in for a cut when they reopen. Getting my eyebrows done tonight. Beauticians is staying open late tonight to sort her regulars out.

Had a nails appointment yesterday and booked in for 1st December so here's hoping I can cope with 6 weeks growth, no breaks, and no extension of level 5!

Hair is another story, my hairdresser comes to be so I'm screwed there but sure who's going to see me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

My next apt is Nov 2nd, all Xmas slots were gone already. I've resigned myself to not getting colour done in 2020. Going to use the time to treat my hair to weekly masks and restrict heat usage so at least it will be in amazing condition. Trying my best to be positive lol

I only have very slight roots so I decided I'll hold strong through lockdown 2.0 and I'll hopefully get it done in December.I have loads of leave and can take it easily so I've never had problem getting a weekday appointment.I know I'll be kicking myself if lockdown is extended but I'm not going anywhere so its not like anyone will see the damage.

Managed to get a last minute hair appointment for cut and colour. It wasn't my usual place but I decided to chance it and also went for a complete change in colour, he actually did a really fab job so I'm gonna go to him any more!! It makes sense anyways, my usual one in grand but she's all the way in Sligo and I'm in Dublin, and obviously I'm not getting home to Sligo for weekends any more.

Got my Shellac taken off too yesterday, just as well as I'd have only picked it off otherwise. :o

Didn't get brows or lashes done, but sure who cares, not like I'll be seeing many people anyways!!

Really hope things are back to normal (ish) in December. I've already made whatever appointments I can.

You know what's annoying me, I'm getting laser hair removal done in Therapie, they were obviously closed for the last lockdown and again now. I feel like the results aren't as good as they would be if I were getting it done regularly every six weeks like you're supposed to. Maybe that's only in my head though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Minier81

You know what's annoying me, I'm getting laser hair removal done in Therapie, they were obviously closed for the last lockdown and again now. I feel like the results aren't as good as they would be if I were getting it done regularly every six weeks like you're supposed to. Maybe that's only in my head though!!

The 6 weeks is more like a minimum time. I got myself laser-ed a few years ago and regretted not leaving it longer than 6 weeks between each one to have maximum regrowth and have them all zapped. So I wonder worry about that.

The 6 week laser is a guide. You’ll get far better results if you allow longer between apps. You want to be able to see the majority of hairs that are left above the skin surface before an app.

It’s common for people to take breaks through summer too. I had mine done in 2013 and it must have been 2015 before I’d finished. Had an additional 3 on upper leg only. Have had one too up since and not a blade of hair. Best money spent

The 6 week laser is a guide. You’ll get far better results if you allow longer between apps. You want to be able to see the majority of hairs that are left above the skin surface before an app.

It’s common for people to take breaks through summer too. I had mine done in 2013 and it must have been 2015 before I’d finished. Had an additional 3 on upper leg only. Have had one too up since and not a blade of hair. Best money spent

• Advertisement

Ah that makes a lot of sense, thanks guys!!

Advertisement