Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pc suddenly stops outputting video under load

Options
  • 23-11-2020 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I7 4790k
    ASUS M5A87
    Nvidia Gtx 970

5 year old pc, basically under load all video output from the GPU ceases (not always but regularly. And becoming more consistent by the day), gpu temperatures are normal when it happens

I still have audio and can still use keyboard mouse etc but the screens just go into sleep mode and can not find a signal. If I transfer the video cable to the mobo it does not respond still. However, If the mobo is plugged in on a second monitor before the crash. It does still display but it’s always blue screen.

I have tried everything
    Different video cables,
    Reseating gpu and Ram
    Drivers
    And I have fully wiped reformatted my hard drives and reinstalled windows

Issues still happening I assume it’s a failing psu or gpu? Any insights on how to test this or fix the problem. I don’t have a spare gpu or psu to swap in to test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Lockheed

What wattage is your PSU

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jordanfaf

Lockheed wrote: »
    What wattage is your PSU

Vs650w Corsair unit

I had it powered through and old socket extender for the last month or 2 after I moved the pc to a new room . I have plugged it directly into the wall yesterday and it seems to have solved the issue touch wood!

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Lockheed

jordanfaf wrote: »
    Vs650w Corsair unit

I had it powered through and old socket extender for the last month or 2 after I moved the pc to a new room . I have plugged it directly into the wall yesterday and it seems to have solved the issue touch wood!

I was going to say it sounds like an issue with power coming in to the pc/power getting to the graphics card. Glad it resolved itself, probably was just the dodgy extension lead!

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭jordanfaf

Lockheed wrote: »
    I was going to say it sounds like an issue with power coming in to the pc/power getting to the graphics card. Glad it resolved itself, probably was just the dodgy extension lead!

Well. I was wrong. Happened again today. I have 0 idea what’s going on !

Edit: So strange. 3 days with no issues After changing its power source.... now it’s happening instantly on launching almost any 3D programme (games, rendering software etc)

Advertisement