Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help please re USB problems

Options
  • 21-11-2020 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am very very weak with technology so any advice on this problem is appreciated. I will explain as best I can.

I was downloading stuff from internet to word document. I could not save what was i was downloading to my USB stick. It was text and pictures.

Now I see on my USB drive a few new folders.

First folder simply has two boxes after it (like the boxes you would tick in a questionnare).

Another folder has about five of these boxes.
    Another folder has the symbol @ after it.

I can not delete these folders. But they seem empty. When I try open (or delete I can not remmeber which ) one says: This is no longer located in E. Verify the item's locarion and try again. One folder is 1.14g.

What have I done?
    Can anyone explain in simple English please what the problem is. I don't think I want these folders but how can I get rid of them. Also for a while i was not able to save in a few other word documents but now i think I can.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You have file system corruption on the USB stick

You need to do a file system check on it - the easiest way generally is chkdsk at the command line.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭bobbyss

L1011 wrote: »
    You have file system corruption on the USB stick

You need to do a file system check on it - the easiest way generally is chkdsk at the command line.

Thanks.

What must I do exactly?
    What does chkdsk mean?

What is the command line?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

bobbyss wrote: »
    Thanks.

What must I do exactly?
    What does chkdsk mean?

What is the command line?

Thanks
    Make sure you have copy of all needed files elsewhere (PC/ laptop) before attempt any repair/scan

Refresh file explorer or remove USB from computer/insert again - do them "bad" folders/files reappear ?

Once confirmed you have copy of all documents, you can format USB drive - this will delete ALL content, including unwanted folders

Copy contents back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

go to the main windows menu, start, program,s acessorys, click on dos prompt,
    a window will appear, you can type commands into it,
    eg type chkdsk drive name of the usb drive,

eg type chkdsk /X /f G:" or "chkdsk G: /f" (replace G: with the drive letter corresponding to your USB drive). The chkdsk operation will then start to repair the damaged USB drive.
    insert usb drive,
    it will appear in the my computer menu as drive letter ,
    eg f or g,
    drive c: is the hard drive ,
    drive d could be a second hard drive or a dvd drive

usb drive is usually drive e or drive f

the command line is part of dos , a txt only menu to type in commands
    bypasing the gui, the graphical user interface .

Advertisement