Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Forum FAQ

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Mr E wrote: »
    Froyd is fantastic. Just don't overclock (you don't need to). It is perfectly stable (and fast) at its default speed. Overclocking leads to random crashes and reboots.

I seriously need to update the original FAQ for this thread. I'll try and do some work on it over the weekend.
    I have mine overclocked to 691 MHz. I have to admit I didn't try it at the default, I've been overclocking VillainRom for a few months now. But at 691 it's perfectly stable and an absolute flyer. 729 (or whatever the next increment is) caused lockups for me.

Has anyone replaced the themed HTC_IME with the default one? I have, but now every time I reboot it defaults to the Vlingo keyboard, and I have to re-enable HTC_IME in Settings before I even get given an option to use that. Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

fjsanchez wrote: »
    Got froyd villain 1.5. Wondering how I can get flash 10.1 on my hero?

As is discussed over at the VillainROM forum, Hero will never be able to support Flash 10.1 because of it's processor capabilities (I think it's ARMv6). It is worth noting that if you run Froydvillain then you lose the Flash lite which the Hero has on VR12, so you have less Flash capabilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Zagato wrote: »
    As is discussed over at the VillainROM forum, Hero will never be able to support Flash 10.1 because of it's processor capabilities (I think it's ARMv6). It is worth noting that if you run Froydvillain then you lose the Flash lite which the Hero has on VR12, so you have less Flash capabilities.
    Dammit, thanks for the reply

• Registered Users Posts: 45,114 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

seemingly easy way of rooting your android phone...

http://lifehacker.com/5642797/universal-androot-roots-most-android-phones-no-pc-or-hacking-required

presume you'd need to backup your phone first as it doesn't appear to be something that app does itself.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Has anyone had to RMA a hero? Mine has been rebooting randomly and getting stuck in an endless loop at the Hero splash screen. And sometimes I have to drop the battery several times to get it to start..

I just flashed the latest RUU so its back to stock, had VillainRom on it. But also tried stock 2.1 and the problem seems to be completely random

Anyone else experience this and are meteor good with RMAs usually?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

My phone updated last night and now the main time & weather widget disappeared, Has that happened to anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,458 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If the widget has changed, you may need to add it again. Long press with your finger on the screen, and add the widgets again.

Only seems to have Analogue Clock there. Whats the widget called that I am looking for, do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

WindSock wrote: »
    Only seems to have Analogue Clock there. Whats the widget called that I am looking for, do you know?

Just "Clock" should have HTC under it.

I have the Clock one, but its not the same as what was there before, with the time on the flip calender looking thing, inluding the weather and your location, took up half the main screen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

WindSock wrote: »
    I have the Clock one, but its not the same as what was there before, with the time on the flip calender looking thing, inluding the weather and your location, took up half the main screen.

Yeah, when you pick it you should be able to scroll through them until you get the one that tells you the weather/date etc.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah, when you pick it you should be able to scroll through them until you get the one that tells you the weather/date etc.

Thats weird, I am not seeing it all in the Widget section. It was there last time there was an update but not this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Try this it may work. Go to, settings, applications, manage applications, click on HTC sense and then choose to clear data. Happened me after installing a new rom before. You may need a reboot and you will have to remake your homescreens.

That's worked, cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I was in Meteor today and I was asking about the HTC Wildfire on PrePay but the girl in the shop was highly recommending against it. She was saying the problem with HTC devices is that they are constantly going online looking for updates and unless you have a data package on billpay, there is no point getting one. She was also saying that they don't work, even to receive calls, when you are out of credit. Can anyone confirm these claims or is she just confused? I really liked the specs of this device so any response would be greatly appeciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

On the going online issue - I doubt this is true cos you can turn off the data setting. So that it won't go online. Well it does on the HTC Desire. Just noticed that you are asking about the Wildfire - I would pressume it is the same as Desire. Just turn off data...problem solved!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭dunworth1

as wih all smart phones the phone will fequrently connect to the net to check and download emails check the weather, facebook updates twitter updates etc.. this is what she means. you can of course turn all of these off.

i have know idea where she got the idea over the phone not reciving calls when you have no credit as this is not true

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

dunworth1 wrote: »
    as wih all smart phones the phone will fequrently connect to the net to check and download emails check the weather, facebook updates twitter updates etc.. this is what she means. you can of course turn all of these off.

i have know idea where she got the idea over the phone not reciving calls when you have no credit as this is not true
    She told me that it was feedback they have received from customers.

Also, can you get an application like the Blackberry's email system where they are automatically forwarded to the phone rather than the phone connecting to check them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Jackobyte wrote: »
    She told me that it was feedback they have received from customers.

Also, can you get an application like the Blackberry's email system where they are automatically forwarded to the phone rather than the phone connecting to check them.

i'm not sure about that as i have never owned a blackberry

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I was in Meteor today and I was asking about the HTC Wildfire on PrePay but the girl in the shop was highly recommending against it. She was saying the problem with HTC devices is that they are constantly going online looking for updates and unless you have a data package on billpay, there is no point getting one. She was also saying that they don't work, even to receive calls, when you are out of credit. Can anyone confirm these claims or is she just confused? I really liked the specs of this device so any response would be greatly appeciated.

its just sales pitch, they tried the same with myself when buying my hero on pre pay...."oh your better go for bill cause your credit will be gone in no time"??? BS, just turn off the data checks and set to manual. Besides if you access data once in a day with meteor it costs €1 and you can use the nuts off it for the next 24 hours for that €1, so even if you use the data services for 20 solid days out of 30 thats your usuall 20€ top up that will cover it.

Its more profitable for the sales agent and the company to have a bill pay customer than pre pay thats all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭iknorr

Wildfire is an awful phone.
    I was talking to meteor about one for my father. I have a hero.

He said even though the specs are similar the phone is awful. he was guessing its got to do with the weird screen size/resolution. He would buy a hero over a wildfire anyday.

The gfs friend has a wildfire. Its slower than the hero and the screen tends to jump through animations compared to the hero.. It really is a basic android phone.

Android phones are designed around 1, phoning/texting, 2, data. if you dont have frequent wifi use and/or do not have a data plan/allowence then its not really worth getting a phone like this.

EDIT: forgot to say you can just leave data off and use wifi if you have an internet connection at home/work.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

And furthermore on that sales pitch, are'nt 2.2 devices(like the wildfire as it matters) meant to have a native option to turn off data over a 3g/edge/gprs connection?

"Android Experts" my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Zonda999 wrote: »
    And furthermore on that sales pitch, are'nt 2.2 devices(like the wildfire as it matters) meant to have a native option to turn off data over a 3g/edge/gprs connection?

"Android Experts" my arse
    yes. even 1.5 devices can do that.

guys, i rooted my hero, now is it possible to moves my apps2sd without flashing a new rom? (on stock 2.1)
    if a new rom is the only way to go, which one do you suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I was in Meteor today and I was asking about the HTC Wildfire on PrePay but the girl in the shop was highly recommending against it. She was saying the problem with HTC devices is that they are constantly going online looking for updates and unless you have a data package on billpay, there is no point getting one.
    That's nothing to do with HTC, it would happen on all Android phones. There's an option to disable background data and syncing that apparently this girl doesn't know about.
    She was also saying that they don't work, even to receive calls, when you are out of credit.
    Nonsense

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Doc Daneeka

Hey all,

I'm having problems syncing with my PC. Just downloaded the latest sync manager from the HTC website for the Hero running 2.1 and the phone doesn't seem to be getting recognised at all when hooked up via USB. It is charging but that is it. Any thoughts?

I have enabled debug and the latest driver did seem to get installed on the phone when I connected for the first time after installing the sync manager on the PC. I am also using a regular USB cable as have lost the actual cable that came with the phone. Does the sync only work with the HTC mini-USB connection?

Doc

Hey all,

I'm having problems syncing with my PC. Just downloaded the latest sync manager from the HTC website for the Hero running 2.1 and the phone doesn't seem to be getting recognised at all when hooked up via USB. It is charging but that is it. Any thoughts?

I have enabled debug and the latest driver did seem to get installed on the phone when I connected for the first time after installing the sync manager on the PC. I am also using a regular USB cable as have lost the actual cable that came with the phone. Does the sync only work with the HTC mini-USB connection?

Doc
    i used to have massive problems synching (or more correctly, not) my Hero to my pc running XP SP3, untill i evenually gave up. havent tried it on windows 7 yet, and dont really need to. what is it specifically that you want to sync? can your pc see your memory card to copy files etc?

Wanted to sync for contacts mainly. Using Contact Manager to back up on PC. Also, the PC can't see the SD card so can't file transfer etc without taking the SD out and mounting directly to PC.

well i can help you with contacts, if they are synced to google, then go to www.google.com/contacts

(might have to log in) and in the top right corner there is an export button so you can save it in a few formats. you can also merge and edit contacts there, and itll update and sync with your phone.

what OS are you using?

Yeah, I know I can sync everything through google. It's not really causing a problem as there are work arounds but then again I would like the damn thing to work.

Using both XP and W7. Doesn't work on either. It used to but I can't remember if I ever had it working on anything other than the supplied cable. Anyone using a regular USB cable and syncing without problems?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Noticed last few days can no longer send or receive mms messages on my hero. I am using froydvillian 1.8 think is and does not work handcent or stock app. Infact stock app forces closes everytime go open message?? I tried a nandroid restore to when was ok no different. Any ideas??

Advertisement